• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Just Started HG

Years
I've always wanted to HG or SS but somehow missed these entries. Partly because it was at the time in my life when things weren't going very well for me and games, unfortunately, took a far away back seat.

Times changed things got better and in 2011 I picked up BW and continued my Pokemon journey. Now after completing the Generation VI games I decided to go back to Heart Gold - the game I never touched and heard so much about.

Without any (too bad) spoilers does anyone have any good tips (like which starter) or special areas to really explore? I know that Google probably knows this already but I really want to hear it from everyone here.

(BTW: I didn't like Pokemon Black as much as other entries - haven't played Black 2/White 2 though).

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Chikorita is probably the least good starter to use in the game, as the first two gyms are Flying and Bug, and it doesn't offer much against the rest of the types for the Johto gyms and Elite 4. Still doable though.

The 3rd gym (it's a Normal type one) has been sort of infamous since its Gold/Silver days, although years later you realize that the game gives you things to make it not so bad. You can catch a Geodude or Onix prior to getting to the city the gym is in, and in said city you can also trade a Drowzee for a Machop in the department store.

that's a couple of things I can think of right now at least

Years
In terms of which starter would be best to use, I'd say Cyndaquil is the best pick since it has an advantage against three of Johto's Gyms and it remains a solid Pokemon throughout the game.

Totodile is probably second best since Feraligatr does get some strong attacks, but I consider it more of a medium difficulty of the three.

And as Nah said, Chikorita is definitely the worst due to struggling with pretty much every major NPC fight. Plus, there are a lot of other Grass-types available (such as the Oddish line) that hit harder than Meganium does.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
first playthrough i used Meganium without much trouble, though its certainly not the best. far too defensive for a simple game playthrough where you dont need much strategy beyond type advantages and strongest moves.

cyndaquil is probably the best (reasons why in spoilers in case you dont want to know)
Spoiler:

once you get Surf, go back and check some old places where you could find water, chances are you might come across some helpful items.

the last thing i would say is the Elite 4 and champion arent very high levelled in this game (champ's ace is 50) so a team around level 40 shouldnt struggle at all, though under that might be pushing it.

Greninjauzumaki

Pokepro
Years
Cyndaquil is the best starter for the game as mentioned above and if you didnt know you can catch the other main legendary (Lugia) in the game and also can catch Mew 2 and Mew in Cerulean cave (Kanto). In addition it is not necessary to get all the gym badges in order which I feel is pretty cool.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
No, please pick Totodile. It's true that Cyndaquil would be a better choice if you want stronger raw power, but Totodile hits harder, has better coverage, and Ice fang (that speaks for itself). So if that's whats better in your eyes, go for that one.

Back