• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Ash and Gary. When I was younger, I would always name my characters that and occasionally I would name my trainer my name.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I named Red; Tim after myself as I like to involve myself in the story and I named Gary; Ben.

Ben being chosen because I use to play Hearts on my computer all the time before I had the internet. And Ben, the AI player always to the immediate right of me, kicked my arse... consistently.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Everyone names him (excuse my language) "Asshat", "Dickface", and things along the line of that. I just named him Green, because thats his original japanese name.

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2012
I always name myself my initials, "JF". I had Pokemon Yellow in Kindergarten, so I named it after a kid I didn't like, "Alex". xD

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I only played the game for the first time a few years ago, so I named them Red and Blue, because I'm not a fan of the anime and I have no originality.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
My character's name is always "James", because that is my name. However, my rival's name is always different but to say the least its always very...colorful.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Years
I usually named myself "Patrick" (RL name), and my rival "James" (my brother's name). I liked that idea.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I remember one time I named by character "I suck" just so Oak would say "Hello, I suck!" at the start... Ah, good times. c; But yeah in my main games I called my character Alex and my rival was Rasmus. There's a long story behind this that I've told several times before so I won't again, but yeah, those are the names I chose. c: Incidentally my rival has kept this name right up until now :3

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
The very first time I played Yellow I named them Ash and Gary like in the anime. However, as I got older his name got more immature and inappropriate so you could probably guess all the things I named him... :V And I can't remember what I called him this time around. Probably something immature again. xD

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
Years
Yeah, I was of the age where it had to be Ash and Gary. It was Gen II that that I called the characters by the Version names, and then Gen IV when I used my own name and a suitable friend's.

Flute

Full-time loser
Years
I was a small child when I played them, and I always named the protagonist "Terry" and the antagonist "poop." I know it was immature, but I thought it was hilarious at the time.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
However, as I got older his name got more immature and inappropriate...
I'm gonna come out and say that this is quite a paradox :P

I've always named the rival Gary. Never changed it. I once named him "Gray" by mistake, and when I noticed it in Lavander, I just had to restart the game xD I know it's stupid, but it just bothered me too much.

As for the protagonist, the name was usually Alex all the time.

Guest123_x1

Seeing how Yellow was modeled with a similar storyline to the anime, with the player always getting Pikachu as the starter, I always named my player ASH and the rival GARY.

blue

gucci
Years
I honestly don't remember, once I grasped that his name was Gary I started to call him by his real name but before that, I think it was random.

Back