• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What should be my very first Pokémon game?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 25, 2018
I really would like to start playing Pokémon games, but I have no idea where to start. That's why I really would like you, who played Pokémon games, to suggest me one. ;3;
(I hope I write this to the right topic.)

Things that might be important in this matter:
- I can play any GBC, GBA and NDS games. Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS so I can't play 3DS games.
- I don't care about graphics at all, so I should have no problem with older games.
- the most important thing is for me for a game is the story. I don't mind if I have to roam in the game, grinding is no problem either (I am trained, I played some hard and old FF games, haha). I just really would like to play a game with great story and characters. Something that can really pull me in/fascinates me.
- I have never played any of the Pokémon games, and I only watched the first season of the anime. So of course I have heard about Hoenn and the later regions, but I am more familiar with the Kanto and Johto pokémons. I absolutely don't mind playing a game in other region, but I am a little afraid that there will be no familiar pokémons as all. ;____; Or that there will be so many new pokémons that I will be overwhelmed? Something like that.

Maybe that is all. I really can't wait to read your suggestions, I'm really open to play whichever game might give me the best playing experience in your opinions. Thank you for your help in advance!^.^

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 version have a desert and a castle that reminds me of Final Fantasy. The castle music also reminds me of Final Fantasy. Only problem is those games I mentioned have Pokemon you will not be familiar with and they are Nintendo DS games. The games that have Pokemon from the first season you will be familiar with are the first generation games Blue, Red, Yellow and the second generation games Gold, Silver, and Crystal. The second generation games are longer since you will be collecting 16 badges and the first generation games you will be collecting 8 badges. The first and second generation games can be played on Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance and the remake first and second generation games which are called LeafGreen, FireRed, HeartGold, and SoulSilver can be played on Nintendo DS.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Black/White for NDS are the most story-heavy games, While the older games Red/Blue/Yellow, And Gold/Silver/Crystal to an extent keep a very simplistic storyline.

Black/White also introduced tons of newer Pokemon and almost didn't give any options to catch the older ones, but it's the most up to date with the current battling system (besides the current 3DS games, but as you said you don't have that option.)

FireRed/LeafGreen would be a good start because it's a remake of the original games but with more modern updates, but it doesn't change the simple storyline.

Years
None of the main series games. The best plotlines are in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon side games. You can choose from Red Rescue Team for GBA, Blue Rescue Team for NDS, and Explorers of TIme/Darkness/Sky for NDS. You also can complete the Pokedex without needing to trade, which is good since NDS wifi was shut down a few years ago.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I would advice to go either with GBC - Gold, Silver or Crystal; GBA - Fire Red, Leaf Green or NDS - Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black 2 or White 2.
Reason being that Gen 2 is my favorite Generation of Pokemon Games, LeafGreen and FireRed have Nostalgia in modern ways and Black 2 and White 2 because they are my favorites
It's up to you I think that all of the games are very enjoyable this includes all gens

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I would probably say FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald for your introduction to the series. Unless you're willing to play a ROM of the originals, it'd be very difficult to find RBY/GSC without paying an arm and a leg for a collector's game cartridge at this point. But starting with Gen 3 would definitely allow you to appreciate the growth of the series mechanics and storylines.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Start somewhere around Gen 3 to 5. They give you a good idea of the basic mechanics without being so outdated that the current games will totally confuse you. Black 2 and White 2 are my favorite games personally and have most of the current mechanics without being too complicated, though they do kinda expect you to have played Black and White to understand the story.

Years
After seeing that you want a story-focused game that includes Pokemon from earlier generations that you're familiar with, but also not being too outdated, I'd suggest go for Black 2 & White 2.

While it mostly does have Unova Pokemon that you may not be totally familiar with, it does also include some Pokemon from older generations as well, unlike Black & White which only had Unova-native Pokemon which made it difficult for some people to comprehend if they weren't entirely familiar with the Unova Pokemon.

Playing Black & White first would help understand B2/W2's story better, but even if you decide to go straight for B2/W2 without playing B/W, it still has a good story and has some of the best postgame content in a Pokemon game, so it'll definitely keep you playing for a while.

Like Rainbow's suggestion said, B2/W2 is the most recent of the DS family Pokemon games and therefore the most up-to-date of the bunch. I'd say definitely go for B2/W2 if you want a good DS Pokemon experience, and because I love Unova as a region itself.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 6, 2018
Ok, so I've played Generations I-VI before, and I can safely tell you that Generation I and II are not worth visiting for new players because their remakes make them obsolete in all measures, including the story department. That being said, even the remake stories are pretty bare bones, since story and the villains only started having a bigger focus since Generation III's Hoenn region.
Pokemon Black & White feels the most like an RPG in terms of story and is pretty detailed, as far as Pokemon stories go, (Even the Gym Leaders aside from Brycen have important roles to make the world feel a little more real) just make sure to not impatiently spam A through the loads of text that the game has. True, Black & White doesn't allow you to use Pokemon from other generations at all until the post-game, but with 150+ original Pokemon and quite a few of them being surprisingly distinctive parallels to Generation I Pokemon, I think you'll come to appreciate how creative Game Freak got with the Pokemon in Generation V! (Except for the six elemental monkey Pokemon that aren't "brocolli head" Pansage & Simisage)
I second MirageSpot's suggestion to play the well-written Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, (Special for being the most popular spin off series for Pokemon, and having more story + character development than Pokemon core series games that aren't Black & White/Black & White 2) but specifically Explorers of Sky, because it's the best received installment, and doesn't have the oversimplified feel of Red/Blue Rescue Team, with Gates To Infinity and Super Mystery Dungeon being 3DS only.
Explorers of Darkness/Time is just an earlier version of Explorers of Sky with a slightly less detailed story, so don't pick those games either.
Generations III and IV are in the middle in terms of reception and most aspects of a Pokemon game, by me and the general public, but if you do play them, make sure to not play Diamond/Pearl or Ruby/Sapphire, since the "third versions", Platinum and Emerald, make some great improvements to both the story and amount of content in the original games.
Oh, and this is my first post on Pokecommunity, which I checked up often even before making an account! - PartnerIntime

Last edited:

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I am a little afraid that there will be no familiar pokémons as all. ;____; Or that there will be so many new pokémons that I will be overwhelmed?

Oh man, this makes things harder :D . Like many here, I suggest you play a Gen 5 game, but here's the catch: Black 1/White 1 will have no familiar Pokémon at all, and Black 2/White 2 have... a lot of Pokémon.

Honestly, I suggest starting with Black 1/White 1 and, if you like what you play, moving on to Black 2/White 2.
There might not be any familiar Pokémon in B1/W1, but Pokémon in these games are presented to you gradually, bit by bit, so that you're not overwhelmed, and by the time you're done with B1/W1 and move on to B2/W2, you'll be comfortable around Unova's Pokémon and prepared to deal with the rest of them.
Besides, the story in B1/W1 is not only better IMHO than in B2/W2, you might also enjoy B2/W2's story much more after B1/W1, since they are (obviously) sequels with lots of continuity nods and callbacks, especially if you use the Memory Link feature.

Back