• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Effort values

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 6, 2014
Are butterfree, parasect, raichu and clefable a good set to use for EV's.
I'm not going to the max I'm just making up for lost EV's from rare candy usage.
I'm playing FireRed and my team are level 50.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Hopefully our moderator friends move this to the Team Building section.

So you know exactly what are EVs and the benefits of using them properly are, you should visit this Bulbapedia page: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values.

Once you've gotten the hang of EVs, I need to know every Pokemon on your team. I will say that EVs are almost unneccessary during standard playthroughs (you can run through FireRed without any knowledge of this), but they are EVERYTHING in competitive battles, and even smaller in-game circuits like FireRed's Battle Tower and other places in Emerald's Battle Frontier, if you want to win in that.

But since you insist on EV Training your Pokemon so that you can crush the CPUs with no mercy, check the current stats of your Pokemon. Notice Clefable has excellent HP and some good Defense/Special Defense stats. You want your Clefable to fight other Pokemon with good HP so that its maximum HP can be higher and Clefable is harder to defeat.

So, have your Clefable fight wild Jigglypuff and Clefairy, and make sure to send it in against other Trainers' Wigglytuff, Chansey, or Clefables. Like the wiki states, Pokemon have a maximum of 510 EV points to spend (like getting one HP point from defeating a wild Clefairy) each, and you can only use a maximum of 255 (though you should stick with 252 to add 4 free points to other stats) points to one stat, like HP.

But EVs should be favored towards stats a Pokemon is best at. For example, a Golem or your Parasect is not going to need any Speed EVs because they are already extremely slow. Parasect has a base stat of 30, and Golem is right with it, so don't have Parasect fight Rattatas if you can help it.

One last thing: this is what separates beginning players from the experts. When you look on the back of the game's box and see the ESRB notice (that is: "Your experience may change during online play"), this is the kind of stuff they're talking about. Note that EVs and its sister category IV are pretty much hidden from the game, and require calculators and your own counting ability to use them correctly.

Back