• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Audiobooks

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Does anyone prefer listening to them over music when in transit (or anything similar)?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I listen to Audiobooks and Podcasts before bed. Often I'm too tired to read (and reading just seemed to wake me up anyway) so I got into the habit of listening to a chapter of the Harry Potter audiobooks every night for... a while! Did the whole series haha.

Occasionally listen to one in the car too, depends on whether I have things on my mind or not. Easier to concentrate on thoughts if its background music, rather than an audiobook that I prefer to keep track of.

Bay

Years
Haven't really got myself to listen to audiobooks. My mind tends to race a lot, so I vastly prefer to grab a book. I actually do listen to podcasts and I can concentrate fine if I'm at work or doing chores, but sometimes I might still miss something and I would have to refer to a transcript after.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I sometimes listen to podcasts in class because it can make time feel faster

Or slower in worse cases, a couple times nearly putting me to sleep.

Years
I love audiobooks!

When I first started going on daily walks, listening to the Harry Potter franchise [narrated by Jim Dale, ofc] kept me motivated. I hadn't read the series in years, so it was a nice, fresh revisit to the HP World.

Currently, I have been listening to BBC Radio productions of Hercule Poirot novels. They're not exactly audiobooks, but Audible offers them. I've also discovered that Spotify has a ton of the Big Finnish Doctor Who audio productions as well. When I realized I forgot to put the last few Hercule Poirot novels on my phone, I listened to that instead. It's pretty good.

I've also downloaded Gone Girl - I just haven't been in the mood to give it a listen yet.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen May 3, 2018
I also heard about audiobooks, but for me reading a real book is more interesting. Reading book is the time when you're off from any kind of technology and just immerse yourself in the story, would be annoying to have someone telling the story in my ear. (Just saying...)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I looove audiobooks!

I never used to get the appeal but now that I'm a Busy Adult™, I really appreciate how they allow me to multitask. I can't do anything super focussed while I'm listening to audio content or I get lost in both of them, but I can do simple things like grinding in a video game while listening to a book and I often listen to an audiobook or podcast while I'm getting ready to go out or commuting/walking. Plus, lately I've been reading a few autobiographical books and those often are narrated by the author, so it's nice to hear exactly the intonation they envisioned and probably in the same voice they heard in their head as they wrote!

I also read a lot of nonfiction lately, which can be really tedious in book form, but it's more digestible in audio form. Plus, I like to bump the speed up really high (Libby only lets me do 2x speed for library books, but I've got some podcasts on 2.4x) and it means I finish the books very quickly. It's great!

I try to always have an audiobook on the go. Right now I'm listening to Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II. It's fascinating. After that, Mindy Kaling's first book just came off hold from my library so I'll tackle that next. :)

Back