• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Welcome to the Challenges DCC!

Here you can brainstorm around ideas for new challenges, discuss how your current challenges are going, and suggest new things for the forum in general. Have fun :)

★ Be nice~

★ Don't post logs here - that's what the other threads in this forum and its Challenge Logs subforum are for~​

post by 11wildy:
Maybe it'd be possible to do a challenge competition of some kind? Possibly with small fun prizes to win? Got the idea from reddit, where I've also joined in a competition. It was basically a Nuzlocke, where you could earn points for doing certain tasks in-game (Like defeating a gym without type advantage). Another competition is ongoing right now and is more like a cagelocke, where everyone plays through the game simultaneously, has some battles on the way and at the end a tournament with the team everyone has created (also with nuzlocke rules)

I think it'd bring people together against each other quite well :)

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Would it be hard to push for a Challenges / Swablu's Nest channel on the Discord? Would be a nice, more modern way to chat while we do our respective challenges : )

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Is the Challenge Index historically a thing people have used and appreciated?

Would it be hard to push for a Challenges / Swablu's Nest channel on the Discord? Would be a nice, more modern way to chat while we do our respective challenges : )
I think that's perfectly doable in the #pokemon channel though (:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The index was something wanted by people years ago when the area was more lively and, as a mod, I didn't want to do it because it was going to be too difficult to keep up with. I ended up giving in at some point (obviously) and updated it every Sunday, but as you can see, it's been a while since it's gotten one.

Years
I always loved those holiday-themed events we used to have that were a collection of mini-challenges you could complete to earn points. Since I'm a casual player, they had me doing a lot of things I wouldn't have done otherwise (like raising a pokemon to lvl 100 or trying to breed a pokemon with perfect IVs)

I know those holiday events were probably difficult to come up with and keep them fresh, but would be cool to see something like a monthly mini-challenge that people could complete on an existing save or in conjunction with whatever challenge they're working on

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
I always loved those holiday-themed events we used to have that were a collection of mini-challenges you could complete to earn points. Since I'm a casual player, they had me doing a lot of things I wouldn't have done otherwise (like raising a pokemon to lvl 100 or trying to breed a pokemon with perfect IVs)

i liked these too, i remember there was one where you had to set yourself a final challenge, and i beat the emerald battle frontier with my challenge team (illumise OP) there was also another one where you had to complete certain objectives like become the champion etc but also specific objectives to your game like unlocking the national dex in g4 or beating red in g2

Tek

Years
I agree with Inkblots about the themed events. I love Halloween and Halloween things, so of course I was more motivated to participate in a Halloween-themed challenge! And I thought it was neat to have a chance at participation and reward emblems for my profile page.

Additionally, Challenges could partner with the local breeders and trade shop owners to give out special Pokemon as rewards. "Breedjects" are useful Pokemon that breeders often have just sitting around and could be offered as participation prizes. And the breeders would benefit from obtaining a variety of Trainer ID #'s (if they're the lottery-playing type anyway). As a breeder, I always like it when my eggs find new homes regardless :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024

I know those holiday events were probably difficult to come up with and keep them fresh, but would be cool to see something like a monthly mini-challenge that people could complete on an existing save or in conjunction with whatever challenge they're working on

i liked these too, i remember there was one where you had to set yourself a final challenge, and i beat the emerald battle frontier with my challenge team (illumise OP) there was also another one where you had to complete certain objectives like become the champion etc but also specific objectives to your game like unlocking the national dex in g4 or beating red in g2
Those mini-challenges sound awesome. How were they organized? A stickied thread where you jumped in with a team from one of your on-going challenges and posted evidence of your completion of the mini-challenge to get the reward? Maybe there could be a new such stickied mini-challenge monthly or bi-weekly?

Additionally, Challenges could partner with the local breeders and trade shop owners to give out special Pokemon as rewards. "Breedjects" are useful Pokemon that breeders often have just sitting around and could be offered as participation prizes. And the breeders would benefit from obtaining a variety of Trainer ID #'s (if they're the lottery-playing type anyway). As a breeder, I always like it when my eggs find new homes regardless :)
This would be really nice, but probably need somebody who is familiar in both TC and Challenges to coordinate. If member X hosts a mini-challenge for a month, maybe they will ask you or TC mods or some other person who feels like they know enough people here, to contact some traders that can provide prizes?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Those mini-challenges sound awesome. How were they organized? A stickied thread where you jumped in with a team from one of your on-going challenges and posted evidence of your completion of the mini-challenge to get the reward? Maybe there could be a new such stickied mini-challenge monthly or bi-weekly?
Some examples of mini-challenges might be these:
Poképhobia Halloween Challenge
Summer Theme Challenge
Stadium Arcadium

Stadium Arcadium has a lot of mini-challenges, so that might be the best one to use for examples.

Tek

Years
This would be really nice, but probably need somebody who is familiar in both TC and Challenges to coordinate. If member X hosts a mini-challenge for a month, maybe they will ask you or TC mods or some other person who feels like they know enough people here, to contact some traders that can provide prizes?

I'd be glad to contribute! I'll also see if the nice folks over at the breeder's club are interested in such a thing.

Perhaps a thread could be posted in the trading section to make the requests from challenge owners known whenever we're doing an event and want to offer prize Pokémon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Now that it looks like we have some live here once again, I say we need another Event Challenge.

Some examples of mini-challenges might be these:
Poképhobia Halloween Challenge
Summer Theme Challenge
Stadium Arcadium

Stadium Arcadium has a lot of mini-challenges, so that might be the best one to use for examples.
If a few of you feel like it, chat a little bit about it (feel free to do it in this thread) and let me know if you have any plans for threads that need stickying or such - I'll help out in any way I can, but I haven't done many challenges myself so I can't really be the one to run it. The details are up to you regulars of this section to figure out! :D

I'd be glad to contribute! I'll also see if the nice folks over at the breeder's club are interested in such a thing.

Perhaps a thread could be posted in the trading section to make the requests from challenge owners known whenever we're doing an event and want to offer prize Pokémon.
That sounds like a simple enough solution. Trade Corner already has 23984029 stickied threads, but perhaps it could be enough with a normal non-stickied thread that we simply bump every time there is a new challenge that could use some form of rewards :) Or perhaps we could make a post in Bulletin Board and bump that every time there's new event/mini-challenges going on?

Tek

Years
That sounds like a simple enough solution. Trade Corner already has 23984029 stickied threads, but perhaps it could be enough with a normal non-stickied thread that we simply bump every time there is a new challenge that could use some form of rewards :) Or perhaps we could make a post in Bulletin Board and bump that every time there's new event/mini-challenges going on?

I would do both for maximum visibility

Years
If a few of you feel like it, chat a little bit about it (feel free to do it in this thread) and let me know if you have any plans for threads that need stickying or such - I'll help out in any way I can, but I haven't done many challenges myself so I can't really be the one to run it. The details are up to you regulars of this section to figure out! :D

I'd be cool with organizing a monthly mini-challenge. I'm a fairly casual player, and only have access to the games I can find roms for (so none of the newest ones - which may be actually be a bonus, since we don't want to end up with a bunch of challenges that can only be completed on certain games), but we can start off with some basic challenges and hopefully get some submissions for more interesting ones in the future (or draw from the past mini-challenge events if I get really stuck). Personally I think monthly would be reasonable - casual/busy players should have time to complete each challenge, and that gives me lots of time to figure out what to do for the next challenge.

Don't know if we want to do any kind of prizes? Perhaps someone else could organize prizes, though if we don't care about that, I could do something like keep a tally of the longest streaks or at the end of each challenge give out some "bragging-rights" awards for the person who completed it the most number of times, had the most creative/impressive way of completing it, etc.

Last edited:
Years

I'd be cool with organizing a monthly mini-challenge. I'm a fairly casual player, and only have access to the games I can find roms for (so none of the newest ones - which may be actually be a bonus, since we don't want to end up with a bunch of challenges that can only be completed on certain games), but we can start off with some basic challenges and hopefully get some submissions for more interesting ones in the future (or draw from the past mini-challenge events if I get really stuck). Personally I think monthly would be reasonable - casual/busy players should have time to complete each challenge, and that gives me lots of time to figure out what to do for the next challenge.

Don't know if we want to do any kind of prizes? Perhaps someone else could organize prizes, though if we don't care about that, I could do something like keep a tally of the longest streaks or at the end of each challenge give out some "bragging-rights" awards for the person who completed it the most number of times, had the most creative/impressive way of completing it, etc.

I can help too. I already made few Event-like challenges on other site, even with prizes, so I think it could work here. From personal experience, month didn't work on the other site well and sometimes I had to extend the deadline, but if I remember correctly, here on PokeCommunity month was standart and worked pretty well :D

Also, on other note, what happened to Necrum?

Years
I can help too. I already made few Event-like challenges on other site, even with prizes, so I think it could work here. From personal experience, month didn't work on the other site well and sometimes I had to extend the deadline, but if I remember correctly, here on PokeCommunity month was standart and worked pretty well :D

We can always try it and if lots of people are complaining because a month isn't long enough, then we can make it two months.

General rules? I'm thinking:

- All main series games are allowed, but no hacks of any sort - normally I'm all for using hacks, but since this is semi-competitive, I think it would just be opening a can of worms. Even minor hacks like 386 patches tend to have other changes as well like adjusted movesets or difficulty levels and it would be impossible to keep track of all of them and compare accomplishments to ones done in the original games
- alternately, hacks could be allowed if you just want to be listed as a challenge winner, but not if you want to go for an additional award
- no hacking or trading in items/pokemon - again, normally I'm all for it, but I want to make sure everyone is on a level playing field. Don't want anyone at a disadvantage because they can't hack or trade things in for whatever reason (and again, this could be something that only applies if you want to go for an award)
- Obviously, all pokemon used to complete the challenge must have been obtained on or after the start date of the challenge
- image or video proof is encouraged, but not required to be listed as a winner unless you want to go for an award

Thoughts?

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
We can always try it and if lots of people are complaining because a month isn't long enough, then we can make it two months.

- All main series games are allowed, but no hacks of any sort - normally I'm all for using hacks, but since this is semi-competitive, I think it would just be opening a can of worms. Even minor hacks like 386 patches tend to have other changes as well like adjusted movesets or difficulty levels and it would be impossible to keep track of all of them and compare accomplishments to ones done in the original games
- alternately, hacks could be allowed if you just want to be listed as a challenge winner, but not if you want to go for an additional award
- no hacking or trading in items/pokemon - again, normally I'm all for it, but I want to make sure everyone is on a level playing field. Don't want anyone at a disadvantage because they can't hack or trade things in for whatever reason (and again, this could be something that only applies if you want to go for an award)
- Obviously, all pokemon used to complete the challenge must have been obtained on or after the start date of the challenge
- image or video proof is encouraged, but not required to be listed as a winner unless you want to go for an award

Thoughts?

Hm it sounds interesting.
What kind of challenges are we talking here though?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
If you read Tek's posts, he has ideas for prizes, and can organize it :)

Bragging rights also in the form of a leaderboard stuck into the Challenges splash banner maybe?

Also, on other note, what happened to Necrum?
The more help the better! Brainstorm here :)

Necrum became busy and stepped down from being a moderator, as happens to many over time. So no blue mod for now! But I can help you with most things that need mod buttons clicking~

Sometimes we could do "Theme Challenges", something like this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=348376
Where you built up a theme based team over 1-2 weeks (ofc with mons you obtain after you signed up for the Theme Challenge) and beat the E4 in order to get the reward. This challenge says it's post-game, so maybe we should restrict these Theme things to games where you've already beaten the champion, otherwise it would be more like a normal challenge playthrough, right? The reward could be to get your name on the Leaderboard for those weeks/months, with the first one to complete the Theme Challenge as the top spot and so on.

Other times we could do "Mini-Challenges" more like the Stadium Arcadium: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=331904
and have plenty of mini-challenges that you can complete for points and if you reach a certain number of points you can claim a prize pokémon and the challengers with the most points get onto the leaderboard :D We could even organize the prize pokémon in different categories depending on different amount of points reached, maybe.

Years

Thoughts?

What kind of challenges are we talking here though?

This! Exactly my thoughts. Are you talking about Mini-Challenges Events or normal Events

EDIT: adventure was faster, but I'll leave this here anyway :D

Back