• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the regional birbs

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
each region has a bird family specific to it. often they're pretty good if you want to catch a flying-type early game as other options aren't available until later. do you usually use regional birds on your team? which one is your favorite?

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
The fletchling or staraptor lines are my favorite. Lately i've been catching tons of pokemon including birds.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I don't use them at all normally, except for Hoothoot/Noctowl. I really love Owls and they can learn some pretty neat Psychic moves!
Otherwise, Staraptor's design is pretty neat

Years
I always use the regional birbs on my team, except in Johto. I use Crobat instead of Noctowl.
My favorite birb line is Starly, as it evolves into Staraptor. (One of my favorite Pokemon!)

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
OMG I LOVE BIRBS SO MUCH

But seriously, I love birbs. {XD} In the early games I didn't really bother because they were all Normal/Flying, but I love the Starly line, especially as Staraptor could learn Close Combat which helped combat (no pun intended) super effective Rock types. Then the Fletchling line came along and were Fire type, so that was awesome. And now I have one of my favourite birbs, a toucan, as a Pokémon!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Seeing as I do Gen 1, I have Pidgey, Spearow, Doduo and Farfetch'd as the Pokemon to choose from. Since their usefulness is against Fighting, Bug and Grass, they're not as crucial to have(particularly when Fire Types counter two of the types Birds have an advantage against while Psychic handles Fighting(and Psychic are dominant in Generation 1)).

Outside of being able to learn Fly(a utility I use to travel around), I don't use Flying types due to other types being more valuable to have(plus Charizard can fly for me). Don't get me wrong, I love their designs(particularly Pidgeot) but in terms of battling, other Pokemon are just better.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Staraptor is definitely my favourite, with Talonflame being a close second. I also used Noctowl and Swellow in my most recent playthroughs of their regions. Thus I guess it's safe to say that I like dem birbs. xD

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
i used to always catch the regional bird, but i've found that most flying types that are birds tend to bore me. im going to go with staraptor even though i haven't used it in ages because i remember it being pretty decent. I'd put pidgeot as second... after that the rest are pretty meh to me. i haven't even used the alolan regional bird yet to put my two cents on it

by far unfezant was the absolute least appealing

Last edited:

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
I'd say the Fletchling line is my favourite of the birds.
Design wise I like them the best and mine was quite handy during my playthrough.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I use them if I really like them and have a slot reserved for them. The ones I haven't used are from Gen V and up; Unfezant seems very useless, I haven't played XY (otherwise I would've used Fletchling), and I already had too many 'Mon on my team by the time I encountered Pikipek.

My favourites are Swellow and Staraptor.

Last edited:
Years
I think Talonflame helped me a lot in XY and I already liked its design when I saw it. I also like Swellow's design in RSE so I like to keep on for a long time on my team.

I LOVE ALL THE BIRDS HONESTLY​

Years
My fave of these birds was Staraptor. It was the first one that was actually worth using throughout the game, and heck even when you catch it early on as a Starly it's already got good moves right off the bat. Always been a necessity for my Sinnoh teams.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
I always have the regional bird in my team, So with the Starter and the bird, I only get 4 team slots for the others.

I would say my favorite line is the tailow line since I was so fond of gen 3. I would say my favorite design wise is the gen 5 birds.

Years
I would say my favorite design wise is the gen 5 birds.

I actually loved the concept with Unfezant's design, and how its different gender forms were done as a shout-out to the fact that most birds have the males being more colourful as a way to attract the females of their species.

That explains why the tummies are different colours (male's is green, female's is brown) and that the male also has that mask on his face.

Guest123_x1

I have used the early-route regional birds on most of the Pokémon game saves that I've played (for at least the first half of the game before the League), although in some cases, I have instead used another flying-type found a little bit later in the game (such as Spearow in Generation I).

Of these, Pidgey is my favorite of the first-route bird Pokémon. Yea, I know, I'm a genwunner, but I've always liked that chirp used as its in-game cry.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
i rather rarely use them and often prefer to get a flying-type later in the game. I did manage to snag a super awesome stat Swellow one ORAS playthrough so I'd call that my favorite.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Fletchling line. Was a nice change to have a bird pokemom become a different type combo. Fire/Flying is awesome! ??

Back