• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OOC: Atlantis Arising [M]

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Sounds good, looking forward to it. I'm still around, just letting everyone know. Just sitting back, playing some Skyrim.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Can't... resist... any... longer. Even though I will have less time for RPs now that school starts. But when I finally read the whole RP (and the OOC thread lol) it just seemed so amazing. And if Ichiro's back, then yay! Let me sign up? :3

Only, now that those who were in London have already left, do I have to start there or can I be... in Sweden? <3

And... I wasn't sure how to go about Helena's parents. I don't want them to be Atlanteans really, but one of them has to be, right? I can change that in the history if I have to. And her brother does have a power, it's just very subtle.

Main Information

Name: Helena Andersson
Height: 160 cm
Weight: 54 kg

Appearance

Atlantean Tattoo: Helena's tattoo is on the left side of her neck, most often covered by her hair. It looks like a Q with another ring inside it, and a dot in the middle. And the "tail" on the letter swirls and reaches back to the back of her neck.

Physical: Standing at 160 cm, Helena is rather short and small, not being very thin but definitely not fat at all. A lot of her friends have grown big fat bums from not exercising enough, but hers is small and round, as are her breasts. Her arms are very strong and somewhat muscular from rigorous training, but normally guys can be a bit grossed out by girls with a lot of muscle power, so she tries not to show it unnecessarily. Her face is simple, with somewhat round cheeks and a rather small up-nose. Her lips are thin and small, something she is a bit annoyed with. But her eyes make up for it, being big and having naturally long eyelashes, that Helena of course helps on with some make up, daily. No wrong in making yourself look good if it's not too expensive or tedious, is there?

Her hair is sandy blonde and very straight but somehow always messy, impossible to completely tame, reaching just below her shoulders. It's cut in a straight fringe over her forehead, ending just above her eyebrows. When she runs, the hair flows behind her like a bright fire burning. It easily covers the tattoo on her neck. Overall, she gives off the impression of a small, energetic girl who's rather easygoing.

Clothing: Helena doesn't dress very fancily. Living in the middle of capitol, she has to care about her looks to some extent, in order to be normal. But that's it. She usually wears jeans to school and when she's seeing friends, and very often a simple blouse with short or long sleeves, usually in brighter colors. She likes her jeans to be bright and rather soft and baggy, so that she can run and move in them but still look pretty good. Boy's jeans, someone might say. Big sneakers with good grip are her favorite footwear, but to school and downtown she most often switch to Converse shoes, to not look like a tomboy too much. She sometimes forces on a gray beanie hat on top of her messy hair though, which more than once has caused teachers to tell her off for wearing it indoors. On top of the blouse, she wears a black leather jacket that is one of her most prized possessions.

She always has earrings in, most often something small and simple, like silver or black dots. On her left wrist, she has a white watch, but she doesn't wear any other jewelry really. Except for when she's going out, maybe.

Personality

Contrary to popular belief, Helena isn't really a tough gangster girl. She often laughs and jokes around, and the first impression you would probably get from her when she walks up to you, stretching forth her right hand and introducing herself, is that she is someone who looks tough on the outside but is a fluffy and yellow cloud on the inside. Now, she hasn't always been like this. When she was little, living on the countryside, she was the cute little girl like every girl back then. Then in high school, she did adopt a tougher attitude for a while, during her episode of "falling in with the bad crowds".

But then she started performing parkour, the sport where you run and jump and climb over and through roofs, fences, buildings and everything in a city with ease. And that set her mind free and made her relax. She found that she didn't need to be like so many native Stockholm girls in her school were. And she didn't need to be the obedient little girl who brushed her hair and went to sleep on time every night either. That rather wild epiphany could have made her rough and tough, like it made many others, but it rather made her softer. If her parents could only understand that it was thanks to the parkour that she had become reasonable in her later teens compared to her early teens, then they would have had a better understanding of her hobby. But they hated it. They wanted an ambitious, well educated daughter, not a happy-go-lucky wild thing that climbed houses illegally.

Helena has a strange relationship to high altitudes. She is scared of them in a way that gives her an immense adrenalin rush whenever she's climbing high. It's scary, but it spurs her on even more. Her favorite thing is to climb up somewhere alone and watch the sun rise. The sunrise makes her feel magical and like a little dreamy kid again. She does not like the night and darkness, having a very different fear for the dark. No helpful adrenalin here, rather she turns silently terrified if she turns up in some completely dark place, having a hard time thinking even. She likes big, open places the most, but isn't really claustrophobic.

Towards her old "girlfriends" from school, she's just generally polite these days, and she shrugs at the knowledge of them probably speaking about her when she's not around. With her parkour friends, or the people at the gym where she works though, she's a constant sunbeam, making jokes and laughing at anything. If an awkward situation turns up, she's the first to try and lighten up things with a bad joke.

She has her troubles too though. Her brother is 5 years younger than her, but a complete genious, loving school and excelling at every subject but not being very sportive like her. It's obvious that her parents are prouder of him than they are of her, even though they try not to show it too openly. This of course makes a girl feel useless sometimes. She finally passed all of her subjects in school, but not with good grades and she didn't really care about anything she studied, really. So she's not always too knowledgeable about stuff that other people in her age think is basic stuff, and that can make her look dumb. But she's rather smart, actually, she's just using it in another way than her family thinks she should. At least that's what she's telling herself.

History

Helena Andersson was born in a smaller town on the countryside in Sweden, where her parents had lived for a long time. Not much happened there, she attended school and had some regular friends. When she turned 12, her father had gotten a great job in the capitol and thus they moved to Stockholm, where her mother was unemployed for a while until she found work as a maths teacher at Helena's new school. Her father was a businessman who sat in meetings all day long. She had a brother, 5 years younger, who was some kind of genius, actually enjoying school while Helena had to struggle to get through high school. Some of her friends who detested school maybe more than she did, started drinking and such things in high school. Helena started on that path but was a bit conflicted. Her family did well and was rather happy and friendly, so she felt bad about sneaking and lying to her mother about drinking and smoking. Soon, she found a way out though.

It was a pre-high school friend of Helena's who still went to the same class as her, who suggested that she'd try the sport of parkour, that he was practicing sometimes. This old friend was regarded as rather geeky, and in this town and school, geekyness wasn't really something you wanted to be associated with. But Helena tried joining the guy's parkour team in secret, and she discovered that she had a knack for it. Eventually, the truth came out and Helena's girl friends thought she was a bit strange, but accepted it in the end. Because at the same time as Helena's muscles had begun to grow from the rigorous and fun training, so did her confidence. Some people who didn't like her parkouring as much were her parents, who tried to stop her from doing it... without success. And the police didn't much like it either. Helena almost got arrested a few times for trespassing, but she got away since she was never really doing anything harmful.

When Helena turned 19, she graduated from the Swedish version of high school and her parents more or less expected her to apply for a university and study more. Her brother already had plans for what he was going to study when he finally graduated. But Helena had no such plans. She worked out at an expensive gym downtown and she had her parkour group, mostly consisting of guys, that she spent time with at least half of the days in the week. She didn't have plans to do anything else, but she did sign up as a personal instructor at the gym and got the spot. So that's where she's currently working, still living at home with her parents.

She found out about her ability less than a week ago, naturally. The left side of her neck started itching badly, but she didn't bother looking into a mirror before a colleague at the gym complimented her for the cool new tattoo. Not understanding, Helena was baffled when she finally saw herself in a mirror. That wasn't a tattoo, at least not one she had put on herself. Had someone made her do it when she was drunk last time? No, she hadn't been drunk for weeks. She kept trying to scratch it off, still thinking that someone had somehow played a joke on her. Was no other reasonable explanation.

Later that day, she was parkouring, chasing a friend for fun through a complex of high apartment buildings. They leaped down through some stairs, trying to do it as stylish as possible. All of a sudden, Helena's friend turned around and stared at her. At least that's what she thought, so she stopped as well, hands on her hips and panting from the exercise. But her friend stormed forth to the fence of the staircase and gazed down, calling her name. What, did he think she jumped down there? She was right here! Her friend could hear her but not see her, and that freaked him out and he ran away, leaving the building and the somehow invisible Helena.

Confounded, she walked home and realized that nobody did see her. She thought she was a ghost and panicked for a while, until she came home and ran into her brother's room crying. The brother, Jonas, got up and comforted her, confused, and she was so very happy that he could see her. She told him what had happened, which was a bit strange even because normally she didn't converse much with him even though he was usually kind to her. Geeky as he was, he immediately shone up and believed her, starting to search in his memory and online for a possible explanation. And it didn't take long before he remembered something he had seen just the other day.

Jonas showed her a clip from the news where the Atlanteans revealed themselves, holding up the crystal. Helena felt as if her neck started to itch again. Yes... she was an Atlantean. Wasn't Jonas too? No, he hadn't found any strange marking on his body. And her parents? At dinner that night, they watched their parents for any signs of anything unusual. Jonas even brought up the topic of the Atlanteans. Their parents just acted like it was a fraud, something that a crazy group of people had staged. They didn't understand why anyone would believe it. Clearly, they hadn't seen the same newly uploaded video clips as Jonas had, of Atlanteans showing off their supernatural abilities. If they were Atlanteans, they sure didn't know it themselves, or they hid it really well. Jonas explained to Helena later that if could be due to a recessive gene that both her parents had carried without it showing. And she had somehow received both, and thus become a real Atlantean. While he hadn't... he seemed sad about it, but Helena assured him that he had powers too. A human power of intelligence.

Helena explored the possibilities of her invisibility ability over the next days. Sometimes alone, sometimes together with Jonas, who always suggested new things. They didn't think life was going to change dramatically just because of this and they weren't planning on telling the secret to anyone. It was just a fun thing that had happened to Helena. Oh, if that could only have been it...

Ability

Helena has the ability of invisibility. It's difficult to control since even though she can turn completely invisible at will after training for the past days, she sometimes turns invisible without meaning it as well. And she can't seem to stay invisible for too long, and she can't really feel when she's invisible or visible; she has to throw a glance down at her own body to see. But normally it's enough to glance upwards and see if she can see her own fringe. She's started to explore the possibility to make single body parts invisible and not just the whole body at once. Also, she wonders if it's possible to turn see-through but not completely invisible. Just for fun. The newest thing she tested is whether she can reach out to an inanimate object, or in the future perhaps another person, and make it disappear as well. It's not going too well though.

Of course she's a bit scared by this ability, but that was mostly at first. When she found out that she was an Atlantean and that her ability was normal, she relaxed and saw it as an opportunity instead. The ability to turn invisible... she could do parkour anywhere now without the cops seeing her! Unless she accidentally turned visible again, of course. She needed to practice a lot, but it was more fun to try new things than keep going at the things she already knew were possible. Thus, she hasn't got very good control at all of her ability yet, but she can do many things half-good. Or rather badly... oh, the things she would be able to do. Not that she realized how powerful her ability could be though. She was seeing it as a fun thing.

Writing Sample

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Would be glad to have you aboard Red, I'm just reading through your SU now.

1) You don't have to start in London, you can start in Sweden if you wish, won't be any trouble at all.
2) Parent's don't have to be Atlantean. They would have been made aware before if they had any Atlantean descent, otherwise its like a recessive gene. I will be explaining the whole 'Parents without superpowers" things soon.

Your SU was amazing! I have no qualms about it, and your character is an interesting one to add to the group. I can say nothing but ACCEPTED! Feel free to post when you can.

@Whymsical: I'm back within the next week, are you still wishing to be in the Roleplay?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Oh, does her brother have to be Atlantean then? Because I would rather want her to be the only Atlantean in the family, that would probably enhance her feelings of being odd rather than make her connect much and sudden with her brother and as tragic as that may sound, I'd like that :p even if it might smell tragic Mary Sue buuuut don't worry 'bout that :3 may I change that in the history?

Also, should I start like the others, by going to the Atlantean Centre in Stockholm?

And one last thing. Is it winter in the RP? Because then Sweden would be filled with snow :3 not that it is now but... It should be. *looks out window and sighs*

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Nope. The Atlantean recessive gene works the same way with a blonde hair or blue eyes recessive gene. You know how that all works, right? I could try to explain crap the way I remembered in year 10 science lol.

Yeah, I think it's winter. It's snowing in Russia at the moment so I'm guessing so!

And yeah, like everyone else, to the closest Atlantean Centre! Or, if you'd like to start differently, that can always be arranged. <:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Haha, I know how that works, silly me... I read a course in genetics about a year ago at university. So, I'mma change my history a little bit then... not too much so you probably won't have to re-accept me.

Great 8D Though we've had like 4 full days of snow so far here. WHERE'S MAH SNOW? It's rather nice for a change though, to be honest, since snow only forces me to talk to school since it's kind of dangerous to go by bicycle xD

Hmm... I'll post and see what happens. I'll probably end up at the centre.

EDIT: changed the part about Jonas and the parents. They are human now~

EDIT2: I ended the post before Helena got to the front of the line at the Centre, but I can add to the post and make her go through with the registration if you want it for any story/whatever purposes :3

Last edited:

Silver Rogue

RolePlayer
Years
Wow Red's Hawt, you talk to school? Now thats either insane or impressive! :D

Anyway, I HAVE RETURNED!!!

My dad decided to "fix" our wifi connection and make it stronger and faster...yeah, that worked out real well dad, thanks.

Anyways, back on wifi (i hope) and I just posted. But this is just a temporary fix, so it may be a little bit iffy at times...

So, also, semester finals are next week, so let the studying commence! I love studying, it includes smashing my face with a textbook, and hoping that I absorb helpful information through osmosis! In other words, procrastination! I think I should be fine though in nearly every class except for AP Chemistry, which I am droping next semester anyway and going to normal Chemistry anyway, so it doesn't really matter that much. (not that I wont try...)

Also: What? The US Government is trying to pass the SOPA and PIPA bills?!?! Inconceivable!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
:p taking advantage of misspellings... that's naughty.

Hope your wifi solution will be better soon! You read Chemistry? <3 Um, and actually I'm not sure if the English term really is to "read a course" but here we say that ^^

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted yet, I've been busy packing, going back home now. But once I'm there, I'll be more involved in the RP (Unless University doesn't kill me).

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
oh my god Red, I am so glad you picked Sweden. I've been recently watching the Steig Larson series (both English and Swedish ones) and prolly gonna start reading them so I'm find the language really interesting at the moment. <: <: <:

edit: oh and quickly to silver rogue before we go offtopic; i heard the bill was dumped.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted yet, I've been busy packing, going back home now. But once I'm there, I'll be more involved in the RP (Unless University doesn't kill me).
You're traveling a lot, aren't you? Must be nice, I never go anywhere..

oh my god Red, I am so glad you picked Sweden. I've been recently watching the Steig Larson series (both English and Swedish ones) and prolly gonna start reading them so I'm find the language really interesting at the moment. <: <: <:

edit: oh and quickly to silver rogue before we go offtopic; i heard the bill was dumped.
A little chitchat in one post isn't too wrong or offtopic, imo, don't worry ;) but with several posts of non-RP chatter only... no.

The temptation of the opportunity to RP in my own beloved country was too great to resist :D Aha, Milenniumtrilogin? I haven't read them actually, nor seen them, but I heard they were going to make English versions of the movies. Must mean they're good then ^^ I think my dad reads them.

And this isn't even off-topic, it's just some useful info (unless we're going to leave Sweden very soon lol). In the winter, it's between 5 and -20 celsius here, and in the summer it's swaying somewhere between 15 and 30, depending on weather and things. It's a good climate and... gosh, I do love my country. You all should come visit Sweden some day, it's neat and clean and free and good <3

I might mention that I'm a tad bit drunk atm as well tehehehhehe~ but I'd say my spelling is rather good stilL! There's a big party tonight and tomorrowl... so I'll probably not be posting much then.

And, if you want help with Swedish expressions or anything, Skymin, I'm here to help~

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
Sweden is awesome. 'nuff said. I have relatives from over there, and they're my only Christmas guests who AREN'T annoying. xD

@Ichiro: Sorry, must have confused you there. lol. Yes, I am. If I get the opportunity to join you guys soon. As it is, I have nothing to post about. lol

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

You're traveling a lot, aren't you? Must be nice, I never go anywhere..

A little chitchat in one post isn't too wrong or offtopic, imo, don't worry ;) but with several posts of non-RP chatter only... no.

The temptation of the opportunity to RP in my own beloved country was too great to resist :D Aha, Milenniumtrilogin? I haven't read them actually, nor seen them, but I heard they were going to make English versions of the movies. Must mean they're good then ^^ I think my dad reads them.

And this isn't even off-topic, it's just some useful info (unless we're going to leave Sweden very soon lol). In the winter, it's between 5 and -20 celsius here, and in the summer it's swaying somewhere between 15 and 30, depending on weather and things. It's a good climate and... gosh, I do love my country. You all should come visit Sweden some day, it's neat and clean and free and good <3

I might mention that I'm a tad bit drunk atm as well tehehehhehe~ but I'd say my spelling is rather good stilL! There's a big party tonight and tomorrowl... so I'll probably not be posting much then.

And, if you want help with Swedish expressions or anything, Skymin, I'm here to help~

Haha, yea I guess I do travel quite a bit. Oh, let me give you some advice, don't drink and go on PC. The results are never good...trust me...

Anyways, managed to get a post in. CAN'T WAIT TO START BATTLING YOU GUYS MUAAHAHAHAHA. That is, if that's the way the RP is going.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

Aah! You're from Sweden? That's very cool (haha geddit?). Australia is pree boring compared to most other countries. And yes, the English version was very good. I prolly like the English version better because I can do other things while watching it. I can't draw and watch the original ones, because then I have no idea what's going on.

I use Google Translate for everything, so hopefully it's all ok. XD

Sweden is awesome. 'nuff said. I have relatives from over there, and they're my only Christmas guests who AREN'T annoying. xD

@Ichiro: Sorry, must have confused you there. lol. Yes, I am. If I get the opportunity to join you guys soon. As it is, I have nothing to post about. lol
Ichiro is working on a post at the moment, he told me! <: When I skyped with him yesterday, he was getting stuff from the shops (a router I think?) to get his internet all up and running so hopefully he'll be back with us soon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Haha yes, I'm a swede :) oh, google translator does some mistakes but it doesn't matter much.

I know that, Supervegeta, but I don't think I wrote anything bad :) for the record, the party ended with memory loss and I've stayed in bed for the whole day today with a bucket by my side :( I hope I learned my lesson... Thing is, prolly wont be posting today.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Ah, back at the University library spamming the internet. Turns out, the internet company are stuffing us around, and we won't have internet till sometime next week! I was raging on the phone at them all last night, so hopefully early next week.

I have a post written up, Whymsical, going to post it after I read through the others.

As far as the RP goes, its only going to get more interesting!

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Hey guys, back at home, finally, so I should be a bit more active, I think.

@Ichiro OK, man. Good luck getting that internet back up. We'll catch up soon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I think this ALL the time, I'm glad someone agrees! It's totally novel worthy.

Back