• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I hope they do the badge and HM thing, Gen 5 had very little use for HM so I guess it was justified but it also made it too easy. I hope this region has more harsh terrain that needs rock crushing, surfing, and climbing up slopes and waterfalls.
I hope that whatever terrain obstacles they put in place are only to give you access to areas that you don't need to go to in order to get through the game, or that they are only for shortcuts. Give us the option of avoiding the use of HMs, even if it means a circuitous route full of tall grass. I really want to be able to run through a route without having to turn around and run back to the Pokecenter to grab my Route 1 Normal-type that knows Cut.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
What's the point of HM's if one doesn't use them in the main path...it seems like they would simply be taking up space if they did that.
For HM's I'll like to see Flash, Cut, Fly,Surf, Waterfall,Rock Climb,and Dive, and the 8th if they have an eighth should be a new move...if not than Whirlpool.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I hope that whatever terrain obstacles they put in place are only to give you access to areas that you don't need to go to in order to get through the game, or that they are only for shortcuts. Give us the option of avoiding the use of HMs, even if it means a circuitous route full of tall grass. I really want to be able to run through a route without having to turn around and run back to the Pokecenter to grab my Route 1 Normal-type that knows Cut.
Should they do that, then I think the point of HMs entirely would be mute. Although, having said that, the need for HMs in Gen V overall was kept pretty minimum anyway. I almost thought it unnecessary to have them in Black and White. With your proposal, I think it would be best if they scrapped the HMs altogether and used field-type abilities to remove obstacles in our way like I had mentioned earlier.

With the minimum requirement for HMs in B/W, the cut from eight to six, and the removal of needing to beat gyms to use them, perhaps it's likely GameFreak is slowly phasing away from the HMs system altogether? Just putting that out there.

What's the point of HM's if one doesn't use them in the main path...it seems like they would simply be taking up space if they did that.
For HM's I'll like to see Flash, Cut, Fly,Surf, Waterfall,Rock Climb,and Dive, and the 8th if they have an eighth should be a new move...if not than Whirlpool.
You really want to have Flash back as an HM? D:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Eh, truth be told, I'd much rather have a key item like a flashlight than a HM flash. After a while, there's really not much purpose of Flash than going through only one tunnel or something.

I did like how they made the use of HMs more optional of getting certain items, or getting past certain obstacles to get to secret places - I'd like that to be seen in X&Y.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I present for your consideration Unova Route 23. Nice little area where Cut is used off the beaten path. And Cut is still one that I think should stay an HM.

If they make Flash a HM, I'd like to see it be able to be used in more places. They could even make it needed to be able to see something in a cave or building.
Flash once was an HM. They changed it to a TM probably due to limited use. In fact, I replaced Psychic (a TM move) with Flash (a TM move) for exploration of Victory Road. Once you've explored fully, and never have to go back, you can restore Psychic.

As for the Flashlight, I doubt it'll happen; the flashlight isn't as powerful.

Cyclone

blue

gucci
Years
I wonder what will replace Dive if they don't plan to reinstate it into Pokemon X & Y, tbh I don't even know what the purpose was for BW. Up until the announcement of X & Y I thought it was the testing grounds for RS remakes but it really had no real use other than some ruins underwater. Anyway back to my point, it could either get replaced by either a previously used HM such as Flash, Defog etc or they will introduce something new which is more likely IMO.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I wonder what will replace Dive if they don't plan to reinstate it into Pokemon X & Y, tbh I don't even know what the purpose was for BW. Up until the announcement of X & Y I thought it was the testing grounds for RS remakes but it really had no real use other than some ruins underwater. Anyway back to my point, it could either get replaced by either a previously used HM such as Flash, Defog etc or they will introduce something new which is more likely IMO.

The ruins was the reason they added Dive. They didn't need any other reason beyond that.

As for what I'm hoping for in the new games: Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, Rock Climb.

I wouldn't mind Defog/Flash as HMs or as new TMs again as I used both. Each game has a set of HMs that are fairly useless. Gen 5 Surf was fairly useless as you only needed it and Waterfall after the main game.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
For once, I found a Pokemon generation that I'm not ready for. I'm hoping that as more Pokemon are revealed, I'll feel better about it. I can't say the same for gen V, since I avoided spoilers, but doing that on a Pokemon forum is hard so I won't do it this time. Seems like yesterday I just discovered Petilil though. :/ Time flies.

Anyway, I'm not really excited about these games yet. I think the starters, except for Fennekin, are uggggggg-LY. But the legendary mascots look amazing actually. So eh. But the way the game looks is deterring me away from it. I'm not ready for chaaaaaaange :( I'm content with the moving 2D sprites I'm not ready for 3D models. sob sob sob

It feels like yesterday I was given a pikachu by Prof Oak, (and that was when Yellow came out).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It feels like yesterday I was given a pikachu by Prof Oak, (and that was when Yellow came out).

If that feels like yesterday then waiting for these games certainly won't seem long (which is a really good thing for youuu).

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
HMs... probably would be required items in order to progress in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, like they were in previous generations. HMs have always indicated that they're moves that can be used outside of battle.

It would be interesting if they introduced more than 8 HMs in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

Guy

just a guy
Years
It would be interesting if they introduced more than 8 HMs in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
Nooooo! Please, no more than eight HMs in total. D:

While Black and White didn't utilize HM's as much, I appreciated them cutting it down to six. I prefer they keep the average 6-8 HMs while having other normal moves (i.e. Dig, Sweet Scent, Headbutt, etc.) available to use outside of battle without turning them into HMs.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years

While Black and White didn't utilize HM's as much, I appreciated them cutting it down to six. I prefer they keep the average 6-8 HMs while having other normal moves (i.e. Dig, Sweet Scent, Headbutt, etc.) available to use outside of battle without turning them into HMs.

Maybe not for the main storyline, but I'm actually thinking about having extra HMs that are only obtainable after you've finished the game to access areas that aren't normally accessible during the main story of the game.

But then again, if we removed HMs alltogether... then it would be confusing to know which TM would be able to be used outside of battle. So HMs will have to return either way. ;)

Years

I was actually quite happy that B/W and B2/W2 had six HMs instead of the traditional eight. It gave me much more room for decent movesets for my team.

For X and Y, I'd like to see them sorta have six HMs like B/W and B2/W2 had. Also, the use of moves like Sweet Scent and Dig were kinda handy at times.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Flash once was an HM. They changed it to a TM probably due to limited use. In fact, I replaced Psychic (a TM move) with Flash (a TM move) for exploration of Victory Road. Once you've explored fully, and never have to go back, you can restore Psychic.

Yeah, I knew that...

One thing I really want is to be able to view battle videos online.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Maybe not for the main storyline, but I'm actually thinking about having extra HMs that are only obtainable after you've finished the game to access areas that aren't normally accessible during the main story of the game.
Well, that could then turn into a 16 Gym quest, if you think about it.

Cyclone

blue

gucci
Years
I would love for them to do another pair of games with 16 gyms and a multiple tegion but something tells me that was just a GSC exclusive.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I wonder, if we get to move in all 8 directions. Since the game is 3d.
Unless GameFreak has finally decided to abandon the grid system, I'm kind of doubtful. From what we saw in the video footage awhile back, it didn't seem to look as though they made the games open fielded. Then again, we only saw so much, so I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back