Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old September 17th, 2013 (6:32 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire's Avatar
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire is offline
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Oregon
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Careful
    Posts: 17,344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psycho Yuffie View Post
    Making homosexuality a crime doesn't make birth rates go up. The gay people aren't going to suddenly turn straight because it's illegal. Also, keep in mind that these are people's lives being not only ruined but literally destroyed. Homosexuals and allies are being hunted down, tortured, and killed. Russia's official stance on this behavior is that these terrorists are actually public servants. This isn't happening in back alleys or someone's basement or even an abandoned warehouse somewhere. This is happening in the streets during broad daylight.
    Sort of reminds me of what the Nazi's did...but not to as bad an extent but still bad none the less. Hopefully LGBTQ people in Russia will be able to keep their heads up against this storm against them.

    Also someone mentioned the Berlin Olympics...if these are to be anything like the Berlin Olympics then gays will need to win some medals like how African (Americans) won medals at Hitler's Olympics.
    __________________
    # TeamRowlet
    I'm currently working on some novels. If you're interested you can read them here:
    https://www.wattpad.com/user/ImperialSun
    https://www.patreon.com/ImperialSun
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old September 24th, 2013 (5:58 PM).
    Dullstar's Avatar
    Dullstar Dullstar is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2010
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 63
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
      Sort of reminds me of what the Nazi's did...but not to as bad an extent but still bad none the less. Hopefully LGBTQ people in Russia will be able to keep their heads up against this storm against them.

      Also someone mentioned the Berlin Olympics...if these are to be anything like the Berlin Olympics then gays will need to win some medals like how African (Americans) won medals at Hitler's Olympics.
      There's no guarantee that it won't become as bad as it was for the Jews in Nazi Germany - but there is also no guarantee that it will become that bad. However, there is still no excuse for this horrid treatment of people. They haven't done anything wrong, and so why should the Russians be allowed to persecute them, to any extent? Why would it need to be as bad as the treatment of Jews for anything to be done?
      --------------------
      It seems likely to me for gays to win with at least one medal.
      __________________

      Reply With Quote
        #28    
      Old October 12th, 2013 (4:21 PM).
      Esper's Avatar
      Esper Esper is offline
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Jun 2009
      Location: California
      Posts: 10,461
      So... Russia is still doing it's thing. Nothing changed on that front.

      In related news, the torch rely for the Olympics had several hiccups and the flame went out three times already. Oh, and the Russian athletes are wearing rainbow themed uniforms.



      Germany also has some snazzy digs, though they say it's got nothing to do with Russia's gay rights abuse.



      Sure, we believe you Germany. *wink wink*
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #29    
      Old November 3rd, 2013 (5:29 PM).
      zakisrage's Avatar
      zakisrage zakisrage is offline
      In the trunk on Highway 10
         
        Join Date: Aug 2013
        Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Impish
        Posts: 502
        I'm not shocked. But then again, Putin won't remove himself from politics, and Russia will remain corrupt as long as he is in power. Putin is too powerful.

        A lot of Russians are old-fashioned and nationalistic, so I would think nothing of it. Nazism is getting popular there and yet Russia was on the good guys' side in the war.
        Reply With Quote
          #30    
        Old November 7th, 2013 (8:53 AM).
        Nick Nick is offline
        Banned
           
          Join Date: Nov 2009
          Age: 19
          Posts: 5,220
          Oh, Russia. Ass-backwards as usual.

          What happened for Putin to do this, though? I thought we were capitalist buddies with the Russkies?
          Reply With Quote
            #31    
          Old November 7th, 2013 (9:53 AM).
          Kanzler's Avatar
          Kanzler Kanzler is offline
          naughty biscotti
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Toronto
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 5,873
          Capitalism is capitalism, human rights are human rights, and domestic politics are domestic politics. They'll do it their way.
          Reply With Quote
            #32    
          Old November 28th, 2013 (4:50 PM).
          jigglypuffisaduck's Avatar
          jigglypuffisaduck jigglypuffisaduck is offline
          [
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Oct 2013
          Nature: Rash
          Posts: 3,807
          I think if it abides by the law, then people should live however they want to. However, it does not abide by Russia’s law so it is fair. If Russia wants to deny it, then that is their privilege. I do have to say this though, Russia is going to get much crap about this internationally. Saying that it is similar to the Berlin Olympics however is taking it to an extreme. While discrimination is going on, it’s not to the extreme of Nazi Germany I don’t believe.
          __________________
          ]
          Reply With Quote
            #33    
          Old December 8th, 2013 (12:40 AM).
          RimasLT's Avatar
          RimasLT RimasLT is offline
          My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
             
            Join Date: Sep 2013
            Location: Lithuania, Moletai
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Docile
            Posts: 135
            Sorry for doing biggest mistake - but I agree with V.Putin words and actions. Me too do not like homo's, but if they don't do a parades per whole city and kid didn't see them that's ok, but if they do - V.Putin is a savior, best president in the world ( still I do not like him because he is a russian. I'm lithuanian - what to expect more from me? )
            __________________
            Hacks I support :








            Reply With Quote
              #34    
            Old December 8th, 2013 (6:31 AM).
            Dakotah's Avatar
            Dakotah Dakotah is offline
               
              Join Date: Aug 2010
              Posts: 903
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by RimasLT View Post
              Sorry for doing biggest mistake - but I agree with V.Putin words and actions. Me too do not like homo's, but if they don't do a parades per whole city and kid didn't see them that's ok, but if they do - V.Putin is a savior, best president in the world ( still I do not like him because he is a russian. I'm lithuanian - what to expect more from me? )
              But that begs to question: why don't you like people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual (and I'm guessing transexual as well)? What have any of these people done to you personally to illicit such condemnation? The law in question has led to a dramatic increase in assaults and murders against these people with very little action on the part of law enforcement investigating and prosecuting these crimes. In fact, in some instances, the police have turned a blind eye to such violence when it occurs. I sincerely hope this is not what you are applauding because this is EXACTLY the consequences of Putin signing the act into law.

              I am a gay man, living with the most wonderful man I could ever have fallen in love with, and in a country that thankfully recognizes my rights as a citizen including my right to get married to him if we so choose. What laws like that in Russia do is promote hatred and violence. It's barbaric and uncivilized in my opinion. It's a country I would never visit. The U.S., sadly, is another country I would never visit because the majority of states in that country refuses to recognize the rights of its LGBT citizens. Heck, a former minister in the Ontario Government was refused entry into the U.S. because he was married to his husband, and because the U.S. did not recognize same sex marriages, he was denied entry until he changed his passport to list him as single.
              __________________
              DAKOTAH
              Personal Website
              YouTube Channel


              1693-4093-6753
              Normal Safari
              Lillipup / Audino / Ditto


              "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
              Reply With Quote
                #35    
              Old December 8th, 2013 (7:06 AM).
              Poki Poki is offline
              Banned
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2013
                Location: България
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 2,424
                You know what I hate about some homosexual people? The way they represent their people. Ya know, shoving their sexual orientation in other people's faces, letting everyone know that they're homo, being loud and obnoxious about it, and more of the sort.

                I believe that is the reason why most people don't take 'em kindly.
                Reply With Quote
                  #36    
                Old December 8th, 2013 (7:09 AM).
                Dakotah's Avatar
                Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2010
                  Posts: 903
                  ... and you think heterosexuals don't do the same? It's on display with every billboard featuring a lovely lady in a skimpy outfit, or every time you see two people on a bench somewhere enjoying a loving embrace. Heterosexuality is pushed on people everywhere you go. The only people who would be uncomfortable with homosexuals doing the same are the people who are prejudiced in their thinking.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #37    
                  Old December 8th, 2013 (7:14 AM). Edited December 8th, 2013 by Kanzler.
                  Poki Poki is offline
                  Banned
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2013
                    Location: България
                    Nature: Naughty
                    Posts: 2,424
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Alessi_sys View Post
                    ... and you think heterosexuals don't do the same? It's on display with every billboard featuring a lovely lady in a skimpy outfit, or every time you see two people on a bench somewhere enjoying a loving embrace. Heterosexuality is pushed on people everywhere you go. The only people who would be uncomfortable with homosexuals doing the same are the people who are prejudiced in their thinking.
                    Just saying that people should mind their own ****ing business, and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone's sexuality, unless it's shoved down my throat.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #38    
                    Old December 8th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
                    The Mighty Kamina's Avatar
                    The Mighty Kamina The Mighty Kamina is offline
                    Paragon of Masculinity
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2013
                      Location: Montana
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Impish
                      Posts: 53
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                      You know what I hate about some homosexual people? The way they represent their people. Ya know, shoving their sexual orientation in other people's faces, letting everyone know that they're homo, being loud and obnoxious about it, and more of the sort.

                      I believe that is the reason why most people don't take 'em kindly.
                      I assume you're referring to pride parades and especially flaming individuals. What may I ask is the problem with pride events? You may find them to be uncomfortable, but for many LGBT individuals, they are a symbol of hope. What you consider "shoving it into your face" tells many a gay or lesbian child that it's okay to be who they are, and that they shouldn't keep themselves closeted their entire lives just because some people get offended at something they were born with.
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #39    
                      Old December 8th, 2013 (10:43 AM).
                      Kanzler's Avatar
                      Kanzler Kanzler is offline
                      naughty biscotti
                      • Crystal Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2008
                      Location: Toronto
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 5,873
                      There's a gay member of this site who's also a friend of mine who can vouch on southpark's side. I think it comes from pride events being more "shoving into your face" than "expressing who they are". On the flip side, I don't think not being cool with pride parades amounts to encouraging people to stay closeted or discouraging them from coming out. People can be offended for many reasons, and sexual orientation doesn't have to be one of them.

                      That being said, there's more to pride parades than the flamboyant side. But of course there's nothing more interesting than normal people walking, right?
                      Reply With Quote
                        #40    
                      Old December 9th, 2013 (1:20 PM).
                      Poki Poki is offline
                      Banned
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2013
                        Location: България
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 2,424
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by The Mighty Kamina View Post
                        I assume you're referring to pride parades and especially flaming individuals. What may I ask is the problem with pride events? You may find them to be uncomfortable, but for many LGBT individuals, they are a symbol of hope. What you consider "shoving it into your face" tells many a gay or lesbian child that it's okay to be who they are, and that they shouldn't keep themselves closeted their entire lives just because some people get offended at something they were born with.
                        I believe that my second reply will answer your question. No need to repeat myself.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #41    
                        Old December 9th, 2013 (2:07 PM).
                        Dakotah's Avatar
                        Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2010
                          Posts: 903
                          Pride Parades are not parades per say, but protests. When we participate in a Pride Parade, or are attending one, we aren't there to make people notice us, but rather we're there to make people notice the issues that affect the LGBT community. We celebrate our accomplishments and we advocate for improvements. Some do it more lavishly and more outrageously than others, but the message is all the same. Until people don't even care if people are gay or bisexual or transgendered, these protest marches will continue. The only people, in my mind, who have any cause to complain about them, are people who have no clue what they're all about, in which case I suggest to them to get educated.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #42    
                          Old December 9th, 2013 (2:35 PM).
                          Poki Poki is offline
                          Banned
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2013
                            Location: България
                            Nature: Naughty
                            Posts: 2,424
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Alessi_sys View Post
                            Pride Parades are not parades per say, but protests. When we participate in a Pride Parade, or are attending one, we aren't there to make people notice us, but rather we're there to make people notice the issues that affect the LGBT community. We celebrate our accomplishments and we advocate for improvements. Some do it more lavishly and more outrageously than others, but the message is all the same. Until people don't even care if people are gay or bisexual or transgendered, these protest marches will continue. The only people, in my mind, who have any cause to complain about them, are people who have no clue what they're all about, in which case I suggest to them to get educated.
                            A different sexual orientation is anything but an acomplishment. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it, really. Here's an example:

                            Person A: I'm proud to be gay!
                            Other person: You're so strong, respect for you, bro!!!1!!!!1111

                            Person B: I'm proud to be straight!
                            Other person: Omfg, homophobic. I'm disgusted!


                            People are people. Gay, or straight. Black, or white. It doesn't matter, honestly.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #43    
                            Old December 9th, 2013 (4:06 PM).
                            Dakotah's Avatar
                            Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Aug 2010
                              Posts: 903
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                              A different sexual orientation is anything but an acomplishment. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it, really. Here's an example:

                              Person A: I'm proud to be gay!
                              Other person: You're so strong, respect for you, bro!!!1!!!!1111

                              Person B: I'm proud to be straight!
                              Other person: Omfg, homophobic. I'm disgusted!


                              People are people. Gay, or straight. Black, or white. It doesn't matter, honestly.
                              The accomplishments I speak of are those that the LGBT community has fought for for over a century. Currently there are 76 countries whose laws make it illegal for sexual intimacy between two people of the same sex. You want a list of some of our accomplishments? Here's some:
                              • Canada, 1969 - Homosexual relations removed from the Criminal Code of Canada, making sex between same sex couple legal.
                              • Canada, 2002 - Marc Hall fought a successful legal battle against the Durham Catholic District School Board to bring a same-sex date to his high school prom.
                              • Canada, 2003 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Ontario and British Columbia.
                              • Canada, 2004 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Quebec, Yukon Territory, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador.
                              • Canada 2005 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in New Brunswick, Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut Territory, and the Northwest Territories.
                              • Canada, 2005 - Canada became the fourth country in the world, and the first country outside Europe, to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.

                              And this is just the tiniest fraction of accomplishments for the LGBT community. There have been so many more, here in Canada and around the world. It's these accomplishments that we celebrate.

                              Yes, we do celebrate individual accomplishments as well, because, believe it or not, in this day and age it is still dangerous for many LGBT persons to come out. Some are ostracized from their families and become homeless youths, some are assaulted (there have been instances where young boys who come out have been forcefully castrated by family members), and even some are even killed by family. In one case a 4 year old little boy was killed by a religious cult leader who thought the boy was gay (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/07/us-cult-leader-sentenced-for-killing-of-woman-and-gay-4-year-old-boy/). It is these types of atrocities that we continue to fight against, and a small part of that fight is the Pride Parade.

                              I personally wish there was no need for a Pride Parade. But we do. We do because there continues to be, and increasingly it seems, instances where people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are attacked simply because of who they are.

                              The situation is intolerable, and we're fighting to make it better for everyone. If you or anyone doesn't like this. Too bad. This is a fight we intend to win.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #44    
                              Old December 9th, 2013 (4:29 PM).
                              Poki Poki is offline
                              Banned
                                 
                                Join Date: Aug 2013
                                Location: България
                                Nature: Naughty
                                Posts: 2,424
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Alessi_sys View Post
                                The accomplishments I speak of are those that the LGBT community has fought for for over a century. Currently there are 76 countries whose laws make it illegal for sexual intimacy between two people of the same sex. You want a list of some of our accomplishments? Here's some:
                                • Canada, 1969 - Homosexual relations removed from the Criminal Code of Canada, making sex between same sex couple legal.
                                • Canada, 2002 - Marc Hall fought a successful legal battle against the Durham Catholic District School Board to bring a same-sex date to his high school prom.
                                • Canada, 2003 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Ontario and British Columbia.
                                • Canada, 2004 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Quebec, Yukon Territory, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador.
                                • Canada 2005 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in New Brunswick, Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut Territory, and the Northwest Territories.
                                • Canada, 2005 - Canada became the fourth country in the world, and the first country outside Europe, to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.

                                And this is just the tiniest fraction of accomplishments for the LGBT community. There have been so many more, here in Canada and around the world. It's these accomplishments that we celebrate.

                                Yes, we do celebrate individual accomplishments as well, because, believe it or not, in this day and age it is still dangerous for many LGBT persons to come out. Some are ostracized from their families and become homeless youths, some are assaulted (there have been instances where young boys who come out have been forcefully castrated by family members), and even some are even killed by family. In one case a 4 year old little boy was killed by a religious cult leader who thought the boy was gay (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/07/us-cult-leader-sentenced-for-killing-of-woman-and-gay-4-year-old-boy/). It is these types of atrocities that we continue to fight against, and a small part of that fight is the Pride Parade.

                                I personally wish there was no need for a Pride Parade. But we do. We do because there continues to be, and increasingly it seems, instances where people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are attacked simply because of who they are.

                                The situation is intolerable, and we're fighting to make it better for everyone. If you or anyone doesn't like this. Too bad. This is a fight we intend to win.
                                Getting pretty defensive there, huh? All I said that some gay people represent their people in a bad way, and thus get negative comments about it. And no, I was not talking about Pride parades. I have a problem with LGBT supportes who lose their **** whenever someone else disagrees with them, and decide that having a whole pointless debate over it will show him/her who's the boss. How dare he/she disagrees with my point of view!

                                And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.

                                You can't force people to like you. You can, however, make them hate you, if you force them to.

                                I'm done with this crap. I believe I have repeated myself enough. Good luck on your way to success.
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #45    
                                Old December 9th, 2013 (4:52 PM).
                                Dakotah's Avatar
                                Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Aug 2010
                                  Posts: 903
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                                  Getting pretty defensive there, huh? All I said that some gay people represent their people in a bad way, and thus get negative comments about it.
                                  But who gets to decide what representation is bad? You? Me? Who? What's "bad" can be, and often is, subjective. Your version of what constitutes bad may be completely different from someone else's. The point is, just because you think something is bad, does not necessarily make it so. What you might think bad, others may encourage. It all depends on a point of view. None of them are right, but also none of them are wrong either.

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                                  And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.
                                  it's not the "accomplishment" of having a sexual orientation that is celebrated, as I said. One can't "accomplish" having one. One is born with it. I can no more consciously change my sexual orientation any more than you can consciously alter the growth rate of your fingernails. What is being celebrated is the courage it takes to come out. Coming out is one of the most terrifying (and sometimes rewarding) moments in our lives. Some of us don't survive it. Thankfully, increasingly more of us do.

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                                  You can't force people to like you. You can, however, make them hate you, if you force them to.
                                  No, you're right, we can't make anyone like us. And we don't even try. But we can work to make it socially unacceptable to openly display prejudice against the LGBT community (That change, I'm glad, is already happening) just as it is socially unacceptable to openly display prejudice someone who is black.

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                                  Good luck on your way to success.
                                  Good luck with yours and best wishes.
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #46    
                                  Old December 9th, 2013 (5:53 PM).
                                  The Mighty Kamina's Avatar
                                  The Mighty Kamina The Mighty Kamina is offline
                                  Paragon of Masculinity
                                     
                                    Join Date: Nov 2013
                                    Location: Montana
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Impish
                                    Posts: 53
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
                                    And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.
                                    It's not treated like an "accomplishment", saying you're proud to be gay/bi/trans/etc is a defiance of the social norms that have tried to stomp the community out for years. It's no big deal to say you're part of the norm, but certainly one to identify yourself as one of the targeted minority.
                                    Reply With Quote
                                    Reply
                                    Quick Reply

                                    Sponsored Links
                                    Thread Tools

                                    Posting Rules
                                    You may not post new threads
                                    You may not post replies
                                    You may not post attachments
                                    You may not edit your posts

                                    BB code is On
                                    Smilies are On
                                    [IMG] code is On
                                    HTML code is Off

                                    Forum Jump


                                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 AM.