Challenge The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns Page 3

Started by The Undisputed Era May 28th, 2019 11:24 AM
  • 67 replies
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
6 posts
35 Days
Good luck, Grumeaux!

As an update for my run - I spent about 45 minutes grinding a little to the south of Saffron but mostly to the west of Celadon. Once I got Scyther up to having Slash, I went after all of the trainers on Cycling Road to level it up further. That got it up to level 36 or 37, and I decided to go after Koga and the sixth badge.

Oh dear, why did I think the poison-type gym leader would have trainers only using poison mons?

I basically ended up doing one of two things in this gym: 1) if a psychic type trainer, use Scyther; 2) if a poison type trainer, use Butterfree. Butterfree was just spamming Psychic moves (seriously, why isn't it Bug/Psychic?). With Scyther, I basically spammed 3 uses of Double Team, then either used Slash or Quick Attack. Barely got hit at all. When I went up against Koga, I went ahead and used Scyther, and used Double Team until it maxed out, then spammed Slash/Quick Attack as needed (I chose not to use Swords Dance). I did get hit once and was poisoned during the fight, but hey, not bad.

And that makes 6 badges. Unfortunately, I'm fearing resorting to the Double Team setup for Scyther for Blaine, getting backed up by Parasect firing off Dig.

So, here's my new plan for before the next update:
- Go get TM 20 on Route 15 and teach Scyther Rage (getting rid of Quick Attack).
- Fly to Viridian, deposit Doduo. Hop on passed out Lapras and paddle my way to Cinnabar.
- Get Badge #7 and move on to fighting Giovanni.

I'm planning to update again before starting the Viridan Gym. Attached is the current set-up of my team. Yay.

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥

Female
Australia
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
58 posts
9.4 Years
Previously, on The Journey of Pebbly the Bug Catcher!:
Spoiler:

Roxanne:
Spoiler:
As soon as I had access to Pokeballs, I caught a Wurmple (named Bailey) on the first route. Originally I was considering raising both a Beautiful AND a Dustox, but then I just figured I would see what luck would give me! I also caught a Surskit (named Brielle), then started training both of my Pokemon up and Wurmple ended up evolving into Silcoon! I continued on through the story, and before taking on Roxanne, I decided to catch a Nincada, naming it Bianca. I'd never used the two evolutions before so I was excited to give it a go! Also my Silcoon evolved in Beautifly.
Now onto Roxanne! Her Geodude wasn’t a problem for me, but I had trouble with Nosepass - he was a tough cookie! I whited out the first try, but on the second I got it and received my first gym badge!

Brawly:
Spoiler:
I made my way back to the tunnel to help out the Devon guy again, and also helped Mr Briney. Headed to Dewford town soon after that, and started taking on the gym trainers. They were easily defeated, and I used a mix of my Pokemon to make sure they were getting experience. When it came to Brawly though, I ended up just using Gust from Bailey. With Brawly defeated, I sought out Steven in the nearby cave to give him his letter. Now, onto Slateport!

Wattson:
Spoiler:
I continued training all of my Pokemon as I made my way up the Routes. I can't remember 100%, but somewhere here is might have been when Nincada evolved. I now had not only a Ninjask but also Shedinja - which I named Bow. My rival, Brendan, posed a bit of a challenge (considering he had a Combusken - silly me for choosing Treeko as a starter!), but I did well considering. While training on the Daycare route, I decided to grab a Volbeat to give it a try, which I named Benji. Soon enough, Benji would prove his worth to the team!
At this point, I also decided to invest in some Vitamins to give my Bug Pokemon a bit more power behind them. I caught a bunch of Zigzagoons, and while training each Pokemon, grabbed their Pick up Items. This was a really nice way to make a bunch of money early on in the game, and eventually I bought some vitamins from the Energy Guru in Slateport. After raising all of my team to about level 25? I figured I was ready to take on Wattson!
Boy... I did not know the troubles I had ahead. His first Pokemon, Magnemite, was already a challenge. It had Supersonic as well as Thunder Wave, so he was constantly confusing and paralyzing my Pokemon. After failing miserably the first battle, I decided I should be using some berry's to counter the paralysis! I also came up with a strategy - opening with Bow, I would Sand attack him to my hearts content, then wittle it down with attacks. Then came Voltorb. With Rollout, it meant I couldn't really use Bailey, Bianca, or Bow. I relied on Benji using Moonlight and Confuse Ray, which worked a charm most of the time, but he was normally knocked out by Self Destruct :pink_frown: Now, the worst part of this battle for sure was Magneton! Up til this point, I was already slugging it out defeating his first two Pokemon. Basically none of my attacks would do anything to Magneton except for Brielle's BubbleBeam - which still took 2-3 hits to feint it. I tried a few different strategies in the many times I attempted this battle, and I ended up relying on Bianca using Sand attack as many times as she could, and then switching in Brielle. Eventually with basically a bunch of luck, Brielle managed to wipe out Magneton with her Bubblebeams! PRAISE THE BUG LORDS!

Flannery:
Spoiler:
After that slugfest, I was super worried about this next part. I had to defeat team Magma at Mt Chimney, as well as the next gym leader - both of them using Fire types.
In the end though, Team Magma was pretty easy - after all the training in the previous routes, my Pokemon were at a pretty good level to overpower Maxie. This trend continued to the next gym. Although I did get defeated by Flannery the first go, it only took another try to defeat her. The first go, I was trying to use a variety of my team and see how I went. After that failed spectacularly, I decided to just spam Brielles Bubblebeam and made quick work with her team. Next update, I will be onto Norman!

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Bailey | Beautifly | Lvl 31

Brielle | Surskit | Lvl 32

Bianca | Ninjask | Lvl 31

Bow | Shedinja | Lvl 30

Benji | Volbeat | Lvl 32

Gym Leaders Defeated:
| | |

Yes! I'm still playing. I haven't updated in a while because I started a new job over a month ago and I've been a bit busy. I have made a little bit of progress since last update, I can't believe how quickly some people get through these challenges! I must take too much time doing stuff :confused: Anyway, onto the update!

The Journey continues...
Norman
Spoiler:
I came into this fight pretty confident; my pokemon were a decent level, and the gym trainers were super easy. This battle definitely was not as hard as Wattson, but I still needed to use some strategy to get through his team. I went with the trusty Sand Attack from Bianca my Ninjask to protect me, and with the 2 Slakings' Truant ability, it made it really easy to wittle down their HP. Pretty happy with how this went!

Winona
Spoiler:
After dealing with a few challenging gyms/type combos, I felt a lot more prepared for this battle despite the typing. A few gym battles ago I taught Benji, my Volbeat, Shockwave. I have been trying very hard to use as many different types of TM's as I can, to bring the most variety to my Pokemon. I normally have an issue in earlier games avoiding using TM's cause I freak out when they are only one use. So I am having lot's of fun using them this time! Anyway, Volbeat's Shockwave made this so easy.

Tate and Liza
Spoiler:
This gym battle felt like the easiest. Honestly I can't remember which Pokemon I used because I forgot to write it down. But I think that says a lot in regards to the easiness of this battle!
After defeating the twins, I decided it was time to add my last member of the team - a Heracross. I could have gotten it earlier, but I kind of forgot. So I went on over to the Safari Zone and after many encounters, caught a Heracross, which I named Bala (see if anyone knows that name reference).

Currently I am training up my Pokemon a bit, thanks to the abundance of trainers on the water routes surrounding Sootopolis city. Hopefully I have some time to make quick work of the rest of this game, and it won't be too long until the next update. I'll try to make my next update the last one!

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Bailey | Beautifly | Lvl 45

Brielle | Surskit | Lvl 45

Bianca | Ninjask | Lvl 46

Bow | Shedinja | Lvl 48

Benji | Volbeat | Lvl 47

Bala | Heracross | Lvl 43

Gym Leaders Defeated:
| | | | | |
Male
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14 posts
7 Days
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener I

Spoiler:

I'm starting by seeing Professor Juniper in my dreams and i present myself as Sylvain. She introduces me to my best friends since apparently i don't know who my best friends are. I go through the intro and the adventure can begin!
As a Grass type trainer i choose Snivy of course. I defeat Bianca in a rather easy battle, she did more damage to my room than against Snivy! I struggle a little more against Cheren but i win again (it helps being faster!)
My Snivy is a male and has a Mild nature which is great (less defense but more sp.attack). After my mom gave me a phone and i witness Bianca having daddy issue i go to the lab to name Snivy take the Pokedex. I'm naming my Pokemon Slyther (Obvious Harry Potter reference is obvious). I go through the end of the intro and i can finally play this game!
I destroy some Lillipup and a Patrat and i learn Vine Whip yeah!
Juniper shows me what a Pokemon Center is then a group of weird cosplayer tell some crap and a stranger talks to me and tells me my pokemon is talking to me, seems he smoke a little. Seing him in the crowd is like spotting the main character in an anime. Then it's time to du-du-du-duel!
I whip his Purrloin down and i gain two levels woah!
My mom gives me new shoes and this is were i end the first part.
Next time i will take on the Striaton Gym!

My team
Spoiler:

Snivy / Slyther
Lvl 9
Ability: Overgrow
- Tackle
- Leer
- Vine Whip
Stats:
HP: 27
ATT: 14
DEF: 13
SP.ATT: 14
SP.DEF: 17
SPE: 18

Now i'm going to edit this message to try and see what is the best presentation!

Sheep

Female
Cape Town
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
26,578 posts
12.9 Years
Forum User Name: Sheep
Game(s): Crystal
Pokémon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate!

Excited to get this going. :}
pair family llsif bandori ffxiv art
sheep x bobandbill 5ever

Sheep

Female
Cape Town
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
26,578 posts
12.9 Years
It has begun! Janna was called over to Professor Elm's laboratory and given a choice of a first Pokémon. She happily picked Totodile, who she nicknamed Marianne, and continued to Mr. Pokémon's house on Elm's instruction. After being gifted with the Pokédex from Professor Oak and being nudged by Elm, she decided to take on the league challenge.

The path to Violet City wasn't a long one, but trainers were adamant about stopping her along the way. They proved no match for Marianne, though! After several Rages and Scratches, she and her trusty partner made it to the town of the first gym leader. From there, rather than immediately taking on the gym after healing her party, Janna decided to examine the route east of Violet once more, hoping to pick up her second team member. And on the very first encounter....Poliwag! She wasted no time catching this cutie. It was female, so she decided to name it Lysithea.

Unfortunately Lysithia was only lv. 4, and knew only Bubble. We wouldn't have the best time going to Sprout Tower with these two, she thought, so she proceeded to train on the routes both west and east of Violet. After raising Lysithea to lv. 12 and learning Hypnosis, she decided to tackle the first gym. Falkner did not pose much difficulty thanks to her training. Although she was hoping to take out his Pidgeotto with Lysithea's Hypnosis + Bubble combination, it ended up waking up and fainting the poor little Poliwag. Thus, Marianne finished the job and got all the exp. But it's okay! There are still many trainers and wild Pokémon where that came from.

The team:

Marianne ♀ Lv. 13
Scratch, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 12
Bubble, Hypnosis

Determined, Janna pushed forward.
sheep x bobandbill 5ever
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
6 posts
35 Days
(Edit: Sorry that my "bug catcher" legs are in the photos below - we were at a pool for my daughter's swimming lessons and I didn't have anywhere else to set the 3DS while I snapped photos.)

Well...Here's the update for me.

I went in and had a stupidly easy time running against Blaine. All the Psychic powers and Dig made it almost too easy. I wanted to see how far I could push myself, so I went after Giovanni and managed to pull that off as well. I was surprised that those were as easy to get through. Didn't really do any sort of leveling, but that would come back to bite me in the butt. But that was all 8 badges.

Got through my rival fight on second attempt. Stupid Char- family line. That will become my most used comment this afternoon.

Quickly went through Victory Road with the plan of getting to the Elite Four and figuring out whether I needed to actually do some leveling after the fact. Fairly straight-forward Victory Road.

Then I get to the Elite Four. And Lorelai is such a stupid tank. Her Dewgong ticked me off every run. I took about 5 tries before getting past it, only to eventually get through everything and then be faced with her Lapras. After getting past that, I managed to very quickly make it through Bruno and Agatha, and then even took Lance down on my first try. I was cheesing it with having Parasect use Spore, then switching to Scyther and going to +6 Evasion from Double Team and +6 Attack from Swords Dance, and then using Rage. I ended up fighting my rival about 20 times, continually failing when I reached Charizard. Even with Fire Blast being 85% accurate and having +6 Evasion, those kept getting through somehow.

So, I gave up and grinded for a bit. Gained about 5 levels on my Scyther from that point, knowing I was probably going to have to resort to Double Team/Swords Dance and pray RNG let me survive. By this time, I had also grinded my Parasect up to early 50s, so I was able to use that to get through the first half of my rival's team. I did end up giving it Mega Drain, which was helpful against the stupid Rhydon that shows up. Previously, I had been using Slash from Scyther to kill things as fast as possible, but then I'd run out of PP before reaching Charizard. Rage, however, was not going to cut it against Charizard, so I pulled out some PP Up and used it on Slash, then also grabbed a couple Ethers that I had to recharge it before the battle.

For four hours this afternoon, I tried to pull this off. Most times, I would either have Spore's sleep wear off too soon and would die, forcing a reset. Eventually, I got some really good luck. Got through the first three, then fired off Spore. It hit and I went to work. I knew I needed to be faster than Charizard, so I decided I needed to get +6 Evasion, +6 Attack, and then also use 6 X Speed to get that up as well. I managed to pull it off, though a few Barrage moves got through. Healed up from those and finished getting everything ready.

Gyarados just sucks. Hydro Pump is my biggest threat before Charizard, because it can do INSANE damage to my Scyther if it connects. I did get hit once, going down to like 20 or 30 HP, and then moved on, finishing it without Hyper Beam or Hydro Pump connecting again. So, here I am with a +6 Evasion, +6 Attack, +6 Speed Scyther with about 10 Slashes. From previous experience, I knew I was doing enough damage that I only needed three hits to win, meaning I needed to survive two attacks. First attack - he tried Fire Spin. That things pisses me off for however many turns it decides to go before it fizzles out. It missed. Fire Spin, if it connects, does about 35% of my health (non-crit). One turn down, one to go. I see the dreaded words: "Fire Blast". Then I press A and see the game telling me it missed. I told my wife - who does play Pokemon but thinks I'm crazy for having tried even one generation of this - and she's like "Okay, so?" I clicked Slash, and it was done.

I'd won.

That was ridiculously satisfying to watch as a Parasect and Scyther basically swept the entire Elite Four (well...Butterfree and sometimes Venomoth cleaned up Bruno and Agatha most runs). I was so worried I was going to have to grind more.

What I do know, however, is that I need to actually work on planning a run better. Thankfully, I have six more generations to do it in. Mark me down for Gen 1 Bug Complete! Time to plan Gen 2.

Sheep

Female
Cape Town
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
26,578 posts
12.9 Years
After defeating Falkner, Janna was eager to add a third member to her team. She explored south of Violet in anticipation until she encountered Wooper. It seemed equally happy to see her! She was able to lower its HP with the help of Lysithea's Bubble, and proceeded to chuck a Poké Ball. Wooper must have really wanted to join her on her adventure, since the capture was successful on the first throw. Nicknaming him Claude, she put him on the first slot of her party, hoping to get him caught up with the rest of the team.

...Alas, that proved to be a challenge. Claude was only a frail lv. 4 Wooper, after all, and didn't take hits very well. Janna decided to do some switching to help him grow, and limit his battles to Pokémon she thought he could handle. We had the Dark Cave coming up, after all, and he could gain a lot of experience on the rock and ground types there.

The rocky path was a breeze for her and her water types. She decided to stick around and train for a bit before moving on to help Kurt get rid of some familiar-looking intruders in the Slowpoke Well. Afterwards, she promptly moved on to the second gym, eager to earn her next badge. Fortunately, both the trainers and gym leader couldn't counter her Hypnosis + Water Gun combo.

Healing her team after a good battle, she continued west.....only to be stopped by her rival. The battle against his evolved starter was incredibly tough, and only on her fourth or fifth attempt did she finally manage to keep it sleeping long enough to succeed.

The team:

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 20
Bubble, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Doubleslap

Marianne ♀ Lv. 20
Scratch, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

Claude ♂ Lv. 18
Water Gun, Tail Whip, Slam

Now she presses forward on her journey.
sheep x bobandbill 5ever
Male
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14 posts
7 Days
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener II

Spoiler:

It's time to take on road 2! I forgot how many time Pokemon are attacking you in the wild ugh and you have to heal your Pokemon so much because they are already at lvl 7. Lmao i lived on 1HP against the first trainer Patrat. And i learn Wrap in the process. I have my strategy set for the first badge!

I got hit by a crit two times and i end up being defeated by the last trainer UGH i hate this road. As i finally got through the road i'm attacked by Bianca and this was so easy i destroyed her! I'm finally at Straiton city!

I decide to finish the Dreamyard first! Panpour will be a good HM slave that's nice. And i go to school to fight Cheren. I start to Wrap him and then he use Ember but i tank it rather well. Another Ember left me with 14HP and a Defense drop too as i beat the Tepig. The Purrloin is a pushover. Won the battle! I decide to lvl up my Slyther to lvl 14 before taking on the Gym.

AGAIN A CRIT FROM A PATRAT. I died two times in this part. (yeah i lost HP from the first trainer). I beat the second trainer and i go to road 2 to lvl up Slyther to lvl 15.

Battle against Chili:
I spam Vine Whip against Lillipup and in three turns it's gone, only lost HP from a boosted Bite.
Against Pansear i struggle, i Wrap him but he goes straight for Incinerate, i heal myself and he boosts himself. This is scary. Tackle doesn't do too much and Incinerate does just less than half my health. I boost myself and he uses Incinerate again. I survive on 3HP and i heal myself with the Water. He goes for Incinerate AGAIN! I boost myself a second time and he does the same. I only have one shot a this now. A +2 Tackle leaves him on like 2HP and i'm like: i'm screwed. But i survive yet another Incinerate on 4HP wtf. He heals himself but i tackle him. I finish him with another Tackle. The battle is won!

I leave the Gym and the girl "i don't remember her English name and i don't want to search it this time" talks to me. She is named Oryse in French btw. Bla bla bla bla bla. I can go heal my Pokemon and i make Panpour learn Cut. After winning against the Plasma grunt (and learning Leaf Tornado), there is another sequence of bla bla bla bla. And before finishing this part i battle the twins to put Panpour in my computer. Next time i take on little kids yeah!

My team
Spoiler:

Snivy / Slyther
Lvl 16
- Tackle
- Wrap
- Vine Whip
- Leaf Tornado
Stats:
HP: 40
ATT: 22
DEF: 20
SP.ATT: 22
SP.DEF: 26
SPE: 29

Male
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14 posts
7 Days
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener III

Spoiler:

It is time to take on the kindergarden! My Snivy is evolving and became a smug Servine. Now is time to defeat the Plasma grunts again. Oh i forgot Cheren was battling me again didn't expect that! I don't know what is the point with doing a Tail Whip before Ember but ok. Wasn't really a challenge tho, Slyther destroyed him but i'm sad i didn't kill the Purrloin in one shot. Ending with Wrap is funny so it's fine i guess.

The little girl's Pokemon is rescued and it is time to finish road 3. After a few battle with trainers i'm in Nacrene. I take the Miracle Seed and give it to Slyther. I decide not to do the Fighting type road because i will keep it to train my next two Pokemon.

It is time to battle N again. He starts with Pidove and Tackle does a little less than half his life. He use Growl to lower my attack. It dropped enought to be a 4HKO and he then use Gust and crit me removing 20HP then use gust again. I'm at 24HP left but i end him with another Tackle. Tympole is gone with one leaf tornado. The Timburr evades the leaf tornado and use Focus Energy hoping to crit me but i'm the one who crits him with the next leaf tornado and he is down. I win this battle and i'm at lvl 20 now and learned Leech Seed, i removed Wrap.

It is time to heal Servine and try to do Lenora's gym! I'm only lvl20 so it is going to be a hard battle and i might need to train so i'm going to beat the trainers then train to lvl21 i think. The trainers are easy and i'm already lvl21 so i'm going to try to beat Lenora directly.

She starts with Herdier and drop my attack with Intimidate. Leaf Tornado does half but he does half with Take down as well. Another leaf tornado puts him down but then she sends the Watchog. I heal Slyther with a Super Potion and she actually goes for Hypnosis and put Slyther to sleep. Retaliate does just less than half but IT CRITS AGAIN THE SECOND TIME AH. I'm dead. Again. I'm going to road 2 to put Servine at lvl22 before the revenge.

The revenge: Leaf Tornado does half, he drop my defense. I use a Defense + cause Watchog and his Take Down misses! A second Leaf Tornado and he is down and i'm in perfect health. I'm faster than Watchog so i use leech seed and i survive the boosted Retaliate. I then heal myself as he retaliate again doing a less than half and with leech seed i think i can even survive a crit. Leaf Tornado does half to him and with leech seed he is in red. I know she will use a Potion but if i don't miss i win. The super Potion heals all of Watchog's health and Leaf Tornado put him just before half health and leech seed puts him below half. A second leaf tornado nearly kills him, i escape hypnosis and leech seed kills him. I win!

I go through the Plasma drama and go to the Pokemon center to heal myself. Next time is the forest and i will finally be adding new members to my team!

My team
Spoiler:

Servine / Slyther
Lvl 23
- Tackle
- Leech Seed
- Vine Whip
- Leaf Tornado
Stats:
HP: 61
ATT: 39
DEF: 36
SP.ATT: 37
SP.DEF: 45
SPE: 49

Male
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14 posts
7 Days
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener IV

Spoiler:

I enter the Pinwheel Forest and i battle a Plasma Grunt. Sandile is the worst choice against me poor guy. I catch a female Petilil and named her Leaf and then a male Sewaddle named Razor. It is time to take on the outside road. I also gave Leaf the Big Root.

The nurse will be very usefull and Razor beat her Munna easily. I get hit by a crit (again) but i doesn't kill Leaf. I found an Audino and it's going to be good experience for Leaf and Slyther. The Tympole trainer is amazing for Leaf who just have Mega Drain as an offensive move. I take on the Fighting type trainers easily and the road is cleared.

I enter the forest again and i'm going to defeat the trainers on the road first. I did struggled a bit (Pidove/Woobat) but nothing really happened here besides leveling up and learning new moves. It is now time to whipe Team Plasma's ass!

The second grunt had a Purrloin who was no match for Razor. I go through the forest using some Potions and Antidotes and defeating the Rangers. The third Grunt used a Patrat so i'm hoping not to get crit. He was no match for Razor too bad for him. The same goes for the last one but i did left the Sandile for Leaf. I go through the main story thing, found an other Miracle Seed for Razor and level up my Slyther before healing myself at the nurse.

Next time i'm taking on Burgh at Castelia and it's going to be hard, i will have to grind a little i think.

My team
Spoiler:

Petilil / Leaf
Lvl 18
Ability: Own Tempo
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Mega Drain
Stats:
HP: 46
ATT: 20
DEF: 27
SP.ATT: 33
SP.DEF: 24
SPE: 18

Sewaddle / Razor
Lvl 19
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Tackle
- String Shot
- Bug Bite
- Razor Leaf
Stats:
HP: 46
ATT: 25
DEF: 30
SP.ATT: 20
SP.DEF: 36
SPE: 21

Servine / Slyther
Lvl 25
- Tackle
- Leech Seed
- Mega Drain
- Leaf Tornado
Stats:
HP: 66
ATT: 42
DEF: 39
SP.ATT: 39
SP.DEF: 48
SPE: 54

Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
2 posts
3.1 Years
Forum User Name:
Game(s): Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate: Single

I actually already started the challenge.

My team so far:

Beautifly lv22 [Met in Route 101 @lvl2 as a wurmple]
Stun Spore - Mega Drain - Struggle Bug - Air Cutter.

Wingull lv22 [Met in Route 104 @lvl5 as a wingull]
Water pulse - Water gun - Quick Attack - Air Cutter

Swellow lv24 [Met in Route 104 @lvl5 as a taillow]
Aerial Ace - Steel Wing - Wing Attack - Quick Attack

Nincada lvl19 [Met in Route 116 @lvl6 as a nincada]
Fury Swipes - Mud-Slap - Leech Life - Cut

Magikarp lvl18 [Met in Dewford Town (using old rod) @lvl10 as a magikarp]
Splash - Tackle

Zubat lvl19 [Met in Granite Cave @lvl9 as a zubat]
Leech Life - Wing Attack - Confuse Ray - Bite

I defeated the first three gym leaders so far:
- Roxanne: Wingull defeated geodude but fainted agains't nosepass. Beautifly finished the job with absorb.
- Brawly: I don't remember very well who defeated who. But I think I used beautifly and taillow.
- Wattson: I defeated him using Nincada. But as Nincada only had mud-slap as a super-effective move It took some time plus I had to switch because of the annoying supersonic. This might be considered a little bit cheating as nincada isn't flying type (not yet at least) but the other pokemon I had couldn't have defeated wattson unless they were too overleveled.

Defeating wattson is the last thing I did so far, so I am now outside the gym.
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
6 posts
35 Days
Bug Ultimate Round 2

Generation II: Gold

Meant to post this yesterday - but kept having troubles. I did make more progress, which I'll post later tonight.

Today's Steps:
  1. Figure out which starter to pick.
  2. Find out all the learnset of the Pokemon I can get during the course of game.
  3. Rush through the intro and catch first Pokemon.
  4. Train up in preparation of the Violet City Gym.

Step One: Figure out which starter to pick.
I had decided a long time ago that I was going to rotate starters. So, I used a randomizer to give me 10 numbers from the digits 1, 2, and 3. Whichever showed up the most is what I picked. This time, it turned out to be Totodile. (Side note: This means that Gen 3 is going to start with my taking Fire, and I'll just keep rotating Grass -> Water -> Fire.)

Step Two: Find out all the learnset of the Pokemon I can get during the course of game.
So, there are two groups of Pokemon that I can get during the run of the game. One group is the standard ones that I can find wild, while the other group is coming from the Bug Catching Contest. I for certain am going to get the ones in the wild; the Bug Catching Contest is a little bit more up in the air. I'm working on figuring out which one I want, given by that time I'll only have three Pokemon.

Group 1: Wild
Caterpie - Route 30
Spinarak - Route 30
Paras - Ilex Forest
Yanma - Route 35
Shuckle - Cianwood CIty
Venonat - Route 43

Forests - Headbutt:
Pineco (Ilex Forest)

Mountains - Headbutt:
Heracross

Group 2: Bug Catching Contest
Weedle
Scyther
Pinsir

(I can't get: Ledyba.)

What this is telling me is that the following is my basic plan of attack through the first Bug Catching Contest I come upon (which will probably be Saturday, since I'm not likely to make it there today):
  • Catch Spinarak (I did this last night) on Route 30.
  • Catch Caterpie on Route 30.
  • Defeat Faulkner. Badge #1. Team will only be Spinarak/Caterpie (or rather, Spinarak/Butterfree, since Spinarak has to be level 22 to evolve and I know Butterfree will be at least 10.)
  • Defeat Bugsy. Badge #2. Team will likely be Ariados/Butterfree. I might get there before with a high level Spinarak, but I will probably find it easier as Ariados.
  • Catch Paras in Ilex Forest. (Do some training to level it up - then it'll probably be Parasect.)
  • Defeat Whitney. Badge #3. Team is likely to be Ariados/Butterfree/Parasect.
  • Complete Bug Catching Contest and either get Scyther or Pinsir.
  • Teach Scyther/Pinsir Headbutt.
  • Return to Ilex Forest and use Headbutt to hunt for Pineco.

By that point, my team will be: Ariados, Butterfree, Pineco (since it takes to 31 to evolve to Forrestress), Scyther/Pinsir, and Parasect.

Step Three: Rush through the intro and catch first Pokemon.
Blah blah - Elm wants me to do some stuff for him. I take Totodile, name it "ToYourBox", knowing it's not going to last long. Rush through the intro and beat down my rival. Got back to Elm's place and totally forgot to talk to him after the police leave. I was like "uh...I'm missing pokeballs". Went back and got them, and realized I was smurt (not smart, but smurt) by starting at night, so I could catch a Spinarak and truly start the bug run. Then, knowing Bug are physical in this gen, I start wailing on Rattata in Route 29, because those have the best Attack Stat Experience.

Step Four: Train up in preparation for Violet City Gym.
Had Spinarak to level 6 last night before going to sleep. Woke up and caught myself a Caterpie, and started to work on training that the same as I did for the Spinarak. Got them both to level 7 (obviously with my Caterpie evolving to Metapod), and made my way up and around to reach Violet City, defeating trainers and such as I went. I definitely want to focus on training more than I did in Gen 1; there, I was just trying to power my way through except when needed to stop and train. Here, I want to be very smart about training, ensuring I'm working on fighting the best Pokemon for Attack training.

You can thank my wife for the names. Sort of.

Current Team

Spinarak / RyanStiles
Lv 8
HP 26
Atk 15 / Def 13
Spcl Atk 13 / Spcl Def 13
Speed 11
Poison String
String Shot
Scary Face

Metapod / HesBack
Lv 7
HP 26
Atk 9 / Def 14
Spcl Atk 9 / Spcl Def 9
Speed 9
Tackle
String Shot
Harden
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
6 posts
35 Days
Bug Ultimate Round 2 - Update #2

Generation II: Gold

Note: Turns out my last post was long enough that it got stuck in moderation. Thanks to the mods for getting that resolved! While waiting, I debated on holding off on progress, but knowing I wanted to keep going as I still have five more generations after this, I went ahead and continued making progress.

Accomplishments Until This Morning:
  • Went after the Sprout Tower. It wasn't too much of a challenge. I went as far as I could with Spinarak, then switched over to Butterfree. Had no trouble.
  • Went up against the Violet City Gym. Wasn't too bad. There was no way my Spinarak was going to go up against Faulkner without trouble, but I did get a Poison Sting off, thankfully giving it Poison. Then I switched over to Butterfree and spammed Confusion. Only took one try.
  • Moved down, completely bypassing the Ruins of Alph, and worked my way through the cave. I accidentally got seen by the spinner just on the south side of the cave by Azalea. Wiped to it - but thankfully, there's that Poke Center where you enter the cave. Skipped that trainer. Didn't feel like dealing with it.
  • Cleared out the Team Rocket grunts in the Well.
  • Challenged the Azalea Gym. I had no clue how well a Bug Trainer versus a Bug Leader would work - not really that bad, actually. I've been making sure to beat all the trainers in the gyms. Spinarak had, by this point, learned Constrict, which did more than Poison Sting since many of the mons used in the gym had the dual type of Poison.
  • Bugsy was a pushover. I let Spinarak defeat the Metapod and Kakuna to soak up that sweet XP, and then switched over to Butterfree for Scyther. Then, of course, it was "Death by Confusion".
  • Silver wasn't that bad to fight - I used Confusion for Gastly and Zubat, but then switched over and used Poison Sting for Bayleef.
  • Went into Ilex Forest and got that Farfetch'd thing out of the way, and was planning to run around until I found a Paras, but I got one during the runaround with Farfetch'd. I spent some time leveling it up, debating about whether or not I wanted to teach it Cut or get a HM Slave, then decided I wanted to try and use the new generation's Pokemons more than the others. So, I'll hopefully be focusing a little more on Spinarak and, eventually, Pineco once I finish the Bug Catching Contest.
  • Finished the forest and made my way to Goldenrod. Time to go after Gym 3.

I'm so fearing Whitney's Miltank. Even my wife, who has only played Gen 6 and 7, knows of the dreaded Rollout-athon. She said she knew of it from TV Tropes. That's just sad. My wife, by the way, thought Gen 1 was ugly to look at but thinks Gen 2 is actually "playable". Oh, if only she knew.

I will keep you up to date about how the fight went.

Once I stop crying.
Male
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14 posts
7 Days
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener V

Spoiler:

I cross the bridge with its amazing music! A scientist gives me the Grass evolution stone. I'm going to fight the workers to train my Pokemons.

My Sewaddle evolves into Swadloon in the first floor. I then clear the second floor. That was a good training for the Gym! I had to use Potions tho.

Next is the exploration of this city, Razor even got a massage! Found objects and beat some dancers. I go to road 4 to train a little. i forgot how annoying that road is, i hate sandstorms! I gain some levels there. The fishermans are gold for me tbh, they give soooo much exp! I buy a lot of Soda to use for Razor when needed. It is time for the Gym Challenge! I have Leaf at 22, Razor at 24 and Slyther at 26. Scolipede is going to be my worst nightmare i think.

After talking to Cheren, Artie talks to me and I FORGOT the Plasma story was before the Gym and not after lmao. But i realize just after the Gym is the Bianca call and battle. I'm stupid. The grunt is easy and Leaf is lvl 23 now so it's all good.

With Razor in first line i enter the Gym! Venipedes are the worst but Sewaddles are fodder for Razor. I'm so not ready for Scolipede lmao. I do have a strategy set for the Gym that involves Razor being the only one not KO at the end rip. But i'm still battling trainers and they are rather weak. The Champion is the only one left. My strategy is ready to roll!

Battle VS Burgh
I start with Leaf against his Scolipede. He uses Poison Tail and even if he did less than half (wow!) i'm poisoned. But that doesn't matter i use Leech Seed. He uses Poison Tail again and i survived, using Synthesis right after. That mean i can buy five more turns if he doesn't crit (Poison Tail has a high crit rate). He doesn't crit and he is at half life now lmao. I switch to Slyther in a bold move to not get Leaf Ko'ed. I nearly finish him off with Tackle, i survive the Poison Tail and the Leech Seed kills him. But as i was writing that i didn't see who is the next Pokemon. I keep Slyther anyway. He send Dwebble. Leaf Tornado does a lot and he doesn't kill me. Arties heals him but i use another Leaf Tornado but it misses! I use it again and kills him in one hit wtf. Leavanny is the only one left. I Tackle to do some damage and it kills me with Struggle Bug. Time for the showdown i sent Razor. He is faster and uses Struggle Bug which only do 14 HP to me. My Bug Bite does a lot and in two turns the battle is over. I win! That was more easy than i thought.

Battle VS Bianca
One Leaft Tornado from Slyther nearly kills Herdier, i tank Take Down well. Bianca uses a Super Potion but a combo of Tackle and Leaf Tornado ends Herdier. One Bug Bite from Razor is enough to beat Munna. Pansear is the scariest but actually no. Incinerate doesn't do too much at all to my surprise and it took six Tackle to beat him because she uses another Super Potion. Dewott is an easy win for Leaf with only two Magik Leaf. Bianca is done! (And Swadloon still a Swadloon ugh)

Battle VS Cheren
I have my strategy set! His Air cutter crits Leaf and i nearly died lmao, the trend continue. I was able to Leech Seed him. I heal Leaf as he goes for Air Cutter again that does less than half. I don't want to switch Slyther on an Air cutter because i need him later so i challenge the crit and goes for Synthesis. But it crits again and Leaf is out. I go for Slyther and Tackle him but he uses Roost. Same thing next turn but with Sandstorm + Leech Seed i have the upperhand. Same thing next turn again. Tackle nearly kills him and Air Cutter doesn't crit. Sandstorm beats him. He does for Pignite. I use Leech Seed as he goes for Flame Charge. I survive and heal myself with a Super Potion. However Flame Charge does more than half and his speed is boosted. I can only heal myself every turn and hope to not get crit. I bought a lot of Super Potion and i'm happy i did that. However next turn he goes for Defense Curl. He goes under half and used his Berry. He uses Defense Curl and i use Tackle. Same thing next turn. He is nearly down. He uses Defense Curl again for no reason and i beat him with Tackle. The game is stupid. Razor easily takes on Pansage and Liepardwith Bug Bite. I win the battle!

Next time is road 4, the desert and a new Pokemon catch!

My team
Spoiler:

Petilil / Leaf
Lvl 23
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Mega Drain
- Magical Leaf
Stats:
HP: 56
ATT: 24
DEF: 34
SP.ATT: 41
SP.DEF: 29
SPE: 23

Swadloon / Razor
Lvl 26
- Tackle
- Protect
- Razor Leaf
- Bug Bite
Stats:
HP: 65
ATT: 38
DEF: 50
SP.ATT: 31
SP.DEF: 59
SPE: 29

Servine / Slyther
Lvl 27
- Tackle
- Leech Seed
- Mega Drain
- Leaf Tornado
Stats:
HP: 70
ATT: 46
DEF: 42
SP.ATT: 42
SP.DEF: 51
SPE: 58

Sheep

Female
Cape Town
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
26,578 posts
12.9 Years
Janna was anxious to get out of Ilex Forest. She wasn't fond of bugs, after all. Her trusty Wooper, Claude, took the lead, excited to show off his capabilities and make himself more useful than in their battle against her rival. She dashed forward as fast as possible to exit the forest and found herself in route 34, where several trainers were waiting in expectation of a challenger. Granting their wishes, she charged straight to battle! Claude did an impeccable job showing off just how dependable he was, even if Janna did switch him out against an opponent's Bulbasaur to ensure his safety.

Healing her Pokémon at the Pokémon Center, she decided to avoid the gym for now, as something told her she may not have been ready quite yet. Whitney's Miltank had a reputation for being tough, and she wanted to be ready.

She'd heard from a local that the Goldenrod Tunnel was a popular spot for Pokémon haircuts and battles alike, so she followed a sign and proceeded down the stairs. The tunnel was lit up, but still oddly creepy. Although the haircut professionals were not around for the day, there she encountered several trainers eager to test their skills against her, though none were a match against her trusty Wooper. Claude had taken charge so many times, he found himself changing shape and turning into Quagsire. Hooray! Janna decided she'd pick up TM Ice Punch for him soon, though not quite yet. She decided she wanted to go against Whitney without any TM moves.

Although two of her team members were now evolved, she still wanted to get some last-minute training before heading to challenge the gym leader. Continuing north to route 35, she faced many more battles. She was especially happy to faint a trainer's two Magmar, knowing it would net her a lot of experience. In the process, Lysithea gained several levels and Marianne even learned Bite. After an exhausting day of training, she decided she was ready. Making her way back to Goldenrod, she wasted no time healing her party and entering the gym.

After quick knockouts of Whitney's gym trainers, she challenged the leader herself. Clefairy and Miltank both were no match for Marianne and Claude. With that, she earned her third gym badge!

The team:

Claude ♂ Lv. 22
Water Gun, Tail Whip, Slam

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 24
Bubble, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Doubleslap

Marianne ♀ Lv. 24
Scratch, Bite, Rage, Water Gun
sheep x bobandbill 5ever
Male
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14 posts
7 Days
The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener VI

Spoiler:

Let's take on the desert. Muk the first trainer has a Darumaka. LMAO i got hit by a crit Fire Fang and Slyther was OHKO. This is a really good start. Still beat him. I decide to go to Nimbasa to search the evolution stone for Leaf to use it on her at lvl 26. I beat the next trainer but then i encontered a Darumaka. I tried to run away but it didn't worked out AND LEAF WAS OHKO BY A CRIT FIRE FANG. WTF!!!!! I hate this game lmao. Next trainer is easy. Same goes for the next one (got hit by a crit again but didn't matter). The Pidove is easy to beat with Slyther.

I enter Nimbasa after the Juniper/Cheren thing. I battle Team Plasma. I get hit BY A CRIT AGAIN (Sludge by Trubbish) but Razor survives and win the battle. I get my new bike, i heal my team and take the stone. I can finish road 4 and the desert now.

The workers are pushovers and i defeat the nurse and he will heal me everytime now. It is time for "search the Maractus"! At the third encounter i got a male with a Mild nature lucky me! I forgot to name him tho but it's okay it will be Maracas. I battle the trainers and it takes some times. LMAO the Sigilyph nearly swept my team but Razor of all people tanked the Air Cutter and beat him. I continue to go through the desert and found objects.

Leaf levels up to lvl 26 and learns Giga Drain. I forgot the stone to evolve her so it will wait a few minutes lmao! I get hit by a CRIT AERIAL ACE and Slyther leaves on few health. I finish the desert and i go nickname my Maractus and evolve my Petilil.

Next time i will deal with Nimbasa (Stadium, Music Hall, N, Elesa)!

My team
Spoiler:

Maractus/ Maracas
Lvl 23
Ability: Water Absorb
- Pin Missile
- Synthesis
- Mega Drain
- Needle Arm
Stats:
HP: 71
ATT: 51
DEF: 32
SP.ATT: 59
SP.DEF: 38
SPE: 32

Lilligant / Leaf
Lvl 26
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Magical Leaf
Stats:
HP: 76
ATT: 40
DEF: 52
SP.ATT: 67
SP.DEF: 45
SPE: 54

Swadloon / Razor
Lvl 28
- Tackle
- Protect
- Razor Leaf
- Bug Bite
Stats:
HP: 69
ATT: 41
DEF: 54
SP.ATT: 34
SP.DEF: 62
SPE: 31

Servine / Slyther
Lvl 28
- Slam
- Leech Seed
- Mega Drain
- Leaf Tornado
Stats:
HP: 72
ATT: 48
DEF: 44
SP.ATT: 44
SP.DEF: 53
SPE: 60

Sheep

Female
Cape Town
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
26,578 posts
12.9 Years
Janna was proud of herself for earning her third badge, staring at her badge case in admiration. She knew she could count on her team to pull through.

Remembering the strange-looking moving tree north of Goldenrod, she headed to the flower shop just next door to the gym as the little girl she saw at the time suggested. There, she saw the familiar-looking face and someone who looked to be an elder sibling. Flashing her newly-obtained badge, the sibling gasped in surprise, and handed her a Squirtbottle.

Would this little bottle really be the key to getting the tree out of the way, Janna wondered? There was only one way to find out. Healing her team and heading up through the National Park, she saw that same tree, once again unmoving. Pulling out the Squirtbottle she recently received, she sprayed it. The tree shook and jumped! Janna threw out a Poké Ball in nervous panic, sending out Claude. He took charge and attacked the Pokémon her Pokédex identified as Sudowoodo with a Water Gun, taking down a little over half of its HP. She took a moment to think, deciding she wanted to capture it. She had no plans to use it on her team since she loved her water types, but perhaps it would become useful for other reasons.

It retaliated with a Rock Throw and several Flails, which brought Claude down to lower HP than she would have liked. She wasted no time throwing a spare Great Ball. The ball shook three times, and clicked. Whoo! That capture wasn't too hard.

Accepting thanks of nearby people who couldn't proceed because of the tree, she continued north and battled some trainers on the way. As soon as she arrived in Ecruteak she saw the Pokémon Center just a little ways up ahead, and dashed to get her party healed. Her trip to the center took longer than she anticipated because she got tied up in conversation with someone named Bill, who apparently lived in Goldenrood. She considered paying him a visit at some point, but not for a while.

Observing the historical city, she saw what looked like a burned tower. It was a bit creepy, which made her reluctant to go inside. She decided to pass on exploring it for now. Instead, Janna headed west, where she was greeted with many trainers ready to battle. Lysithea was anxious to prove herself this time. Her tail wagged excitedly. After a few more successful battles, she began to glow. Janna pumped her fist in the air in excitement at seeing her new Poliwhirl.

Defeating a large group of trainers made her and her party feel super strong. Marianne, Claude, and Lysithea shared a new connection with each other now that they had all experienced evolution. This deepened their bonds even further. Janna met her grumpy rival once more in Olivine, picked up the Good Rod, and headed back, feeling more confident in exploring that creepy burned building she saw in Ecruteak.

Entering, she felt a bit more nervous again, noticing how it looked like everything would fall apart any moment now. However, Claude beckoned her to keep going, so she did. Heading clockwise and defeating some wild Pokémon along the way, she once again spotted that familiar red hair. Wasn't Silver at Olivine just a few moments ago? She supposed they both headed to the same place after that. He noticed her and smirked, and Janna knew what she had to do. She tossed one of her Poké Balls and initiated battle. Her trio of water types, one after the other, showed both her and Silver just how strong they had become, and even the Bayleef that was once a problem no longer posed as big a threat. She smiled, happy to have won. Silver, on the other hand, was anything but happy.

But whoops! In her excitement, she took a misstep and the tile beneath her feet cracked. She fell through. She remembered hearing Silver snicker and disappear from the hole above upon landing, rubbing her hips in pain. Luckily it wasn't a big fall. But whoa, what was that? She blinked, wondering if she was seeing things. There were three beautiful Pokémon just in front of her. She got up and tried to approach them, but they immediately fled, with the blue one gazing sharply at her for a second or two before disappearing.

That was....an experience. She wondered if she would ever see those Pokémon again. For some reason, that brief glance made her feel stronger than ever, and she felt ready to take on the gym.

Morty's Gengar was more trouble than she expected with its Hypnosis, but, as she expected, she claimed victory thanks to Claude's Dig and Marianne's Bite. What a fun battle, she thought. She shook hands with the ghost gym leader and prepared to move on.

The team:

Claude ♂ Lv. 25
Surf, Dig, Slam, Ice Punch

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 29
Surf, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Ice Punch

Marianne ♀ Lv. 26
Surf, Bite, Ice Punch, Water Gun
sheep x bobandbill 5ever
Advertiser Content