• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[POLL] Which main series visual style do you prefer?

Which main series visual style do you prefer?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019

Credit: ClickSelekt

The leap to a main series 3D game was a long journey, with the first attempts (Diamond and Pearl) dividing critics with the CEO of the Pokemon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, saying the mix of 2D sprites and 3D environment was to "maintain the original idea of Pok?mon being a game that you played on this big map". The games eventually got full 3D graphics (X and Y) but to me they lost their nice chibi aesthetic with Sun and Moon.

So, my question is this; what is your favourite style and why?

Last edited:

BugTypeAficionado

Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
I remember when Pokemon was announced to be making the big leap from 2D to 3D, I was kinda unsure. I think the chibi-style of overworld works to some degree, but sometimes in cutscenes, especially when the camera is close to overworld models, it loses its charm and looks unappealing to me. For some reason, this was an even bigger problem in ORAS than in XY, the latter of which didn't bother me much with the art style.

I think the more fleshed out and reasonably proportioned Gen 7 art style is a step in the right direction, but if you were to ask me? I would love to see a new Pokemon game using an HD version of Gen 5 graphics, with a mix of 2D and 3D. It has it's own kind of charm that I unfortunately don't think we'll see again, at least for a long time.

Last edited:
Years
I suppose I lean to a mix or chibi 3D. From Dawn to Serena you have attractively designed sprites and a reasonable amount of detail, yet still a stylization that is appropriate to a cartoon. Gen 7 however I am still getting accustomed to, its easier for me right now to take a step back and play a game from gen 3. When I see those long, toned legs jogging into a poke center in Sun and Moon I feel like I've stumbled into another, more mature game series. I don't need it to be perfect and look like a painting ^_^

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I will forever choose the Gen 1-5 style until they make the 3D Pokemon sprites colorful, like they used to be in the 2D games.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I remain a fan of both traditional 2D and the 2.5D of Gens IV and V. I'm particularly fond of FRLG and HGSS's styles.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019

Credit: ClickSelekt

The leap to a main series 3D game was a long journey, with the first attempts (Diamond and Pearl) dividing critics with the CEO of the Pokemon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, saying the mix of 2D sprites and 3D environment was to "maintain the original idea of Pok?mon being a game that you played on this big map". The games eventually got full 3D graphics (X and Y) but to me they lost their nice chibi aesthetic with Sun and Moon.

So, my question is this; what is your favourite style and why?

Its an awesome thread, thankyou for opening it.
I really like gen 6 sprites

Years
I liked the 2d/3d graphics that were used in Gen 4/5 the most. The classic Gen 1/2 graphics aren't too far behind, I enjoy their simplicity.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Both the full 2D graphics and the semi-3D models of Gen 4 and 5 appeal to me a lot more than what we have going on at the moment. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see them again in a Main Series game.

pkmin3033

The 2D sprites have far more personality than the washed-out plasticine rubbish 3D models, and I think they hit their highest point in Gen IV. Gen V was a step backwards in terms of sprites, but did have some lovely background visuals nonetheless. Gen VI and VII just look like garbage to be honest.

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
Wow, the results so far are not what I was expecting. I thought more people would be fond of the traditional 2D sprites over the 2D / 3D mix.

The 2D sprites have far more personality than the washed-out plasticine rubbish 3D models, and I think they hit their highest point in Gen IV. Gen V was a step backwards in terms of sprites, but did have some lovely background visuals nonetheless. Gen VI and VII just look like garbage to be honest.
Honestly, I agree to some extent. To me the Gen 7 models look too realistic, while the Gen 6 models look like action figures or toys with the Hoenn and Kalos regions feeling like playsets. But that's why I like it, it makes me feel like a kid again.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Wow, the results so far are not what I was expecting. I thought more people would be fond of the traditional 2D sprites over the 2D / 3D mix.
Those would definitely be my second favorite and I like them a lot better than our full 3D -- however I'd say that Gens 4 and 5 pulled off a semi-3D look really well while not abandoning the original graphical style, so I like them a bit better than purely sprite-based graphics.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I'm gonna be honest, I stopped playing pok?mon after emerald.
And the style of X/Y is what got me back into the games.
Going back now after playing in that style so much just feels weird for me now XD

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Gen V's graphics were so amazing when it came out. That camera movement on the first bridge (Skyarrow i think), was breathtaking.

Gen 7 is a close second though as the company has begun to figure out how to use 3D graphics. Gen 8 should be great graphics-wise

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
Years
Gen VI had the best Graphics by far. Fully 3D, Chibi anime characters. I was really upset when I saw the detailed characters from GVII. Terrible graphics, and the main character has a permanent Glazed Apathy look the entire game.

2D models are impossible to look at anymore. They have Zero personality. Zero emotions, zero cut scenes or enhanced story telling capabilities. You cannot buy clothing for them, even if you did it would be nothing more than a recolor. Is one of them moving an arm? Looking in another direction? Is that NPC character terrified?, Sad?, Horny? Happy? angry? Show me once instance of being able to know how a character is feeling atm during any pre VI game. Show me one! You can't, because its just a blop of color that vaugly resembles something that might be a person with blips that only make it "look like" that character has feet that is moving it forward.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
Gen VI had the best Graphics by far. Fully 3D, Chibi anime characters. I was really upset when I saw the detailed characters from GVII. Terrible graphics, and the main character has a permanent Glazed Apathy look the entire game.

2D models are impossible to look at anymore. They have Zero personality. Zero emotions, zero cut scenes or enhanced story telling capabilities. You cannot buy clothing for them, even if you did it would be nothing more than a recolor. Is one of them moving an arm? Looking in another direction? Is that NPC character terrified?, Sad?, Horny? Happy? angry? Show me once instance of being able to know how a character is feeling atm during any pre VI game. Show me one! You can't, because its just a blop of color that vaugly resembles something that might be a person with blips that only make it "look like" that character has feet that is moving it forward.

I wouldn't say the 2D sprites had no feeling. I've only played Emerald from the 2D generations so I don't have a great example to speak from but the dialogue usually took over in expressing how a character was feeling. Silver from G/S/HG/SS was an egotist who sought out powerful Pokemon then felt remorse when he realised they needed to be treated with care.

It's never outright said how he's feeling but you can gather it from the little tidbits of information scattered in the dialogue. I do however agree that VI is far more expressive especially for the player. The player from Gen VII seemed somewhat like a sociopath who might kill you in your sleep without warning.

Back