• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Fernling, The Hatchling Pokemon (Grass/Flying)

Votes: 830 41.2%
  • Kittorch, The Kitten Pokemon (Fire)

Votes: 815 40.4%
  • Bubull, The Hippo Pokemon (Water)

Votes: 370 18.4%

• Total voters

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Well that's not a gameplay mechanic, that's simply eventing, which is not my department. Needless to say the eventing in our game is top notch and should not disappoint.

Ooh ooh eventing is MY department! And yes, you'll be sure to see some eventual "doing things differently" based events that will add some replay-ability to the game for sure, don't worry...though I'm not entirely sure how much of that you'd see in the demo. For now, though, we're just working to make the events and game experience feel as smooth as possible.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
Years
I won't lie, this seems really ambitious, but I hope you pull it off, it seems to have the making of a great Pokemon game.

PerihelionProductions

Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
I won't lie, this seems really ambitious, but I hope you pull it off, it seems to have the making of a great Pokemon game.

Aw man thanks so much, Lockmaster! We're certainly with you on hoping we can pull it off, but we feel pretty confident we'll be able to do so.

ALSO, here's a brand new update! It's the Rival Battle Music from Pokémon Ethereal Gates! Enjoy!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 23, 2016
Damn loving the music, i im also working on a Pokémon game, some of the team should know.

AdAstraGL

Music Composer | Rom Hacker
Years
Mh... The project looks interesting.
Anyway, I have to comment the aspect I'm connected to.
I've listened to the Rival Theme and well, I didn't ... like it that much. The quality of the instruments is top notch but I think you should try and take advantage of it.
I think the problem here is the music itself.
These tracks wouldn't have been bad if you had "put" less monotony into them; still, I'm looking forward to hearing new ones from you :D

Good luck for your project and... well, I'm so sorry about my English. (I'm Italian :') )

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Mh... The project looks interesting.
Anyway, I have to comment the aspect I'm connected to.
I've listened to the Rival Theme and well, I didn't like it very much.
The quality of the instruments is good but I think you should take advantage of it.
The basic problem is the music you (or don't know who) compose (composes).
These tracks wouldn't have been so bad if you "put" less monotony into them; I'm looking forward to hearing new ones from you :D

Good luck for your project and... well, I'm so sorry about my english. (I'm Italian :') )

Well, I know a thing or two about music, aswell. Firstly you are very wrong when you label these tracks as "bad", because they aren't bad. They are much, much better than 90% of the music people are making for their games. These tracks are pretty decent and with some more investment on the production part, I bet they could sound more refined. I also disagree when you call the track monotonous. It is just about as monotonous as any other official Pokémon Battle theme; maybe if this was a non-Pokémon track, I would say that it would need less repetition, but besides being a bit repetitive, the track is not monotonous/boring at all. The composing is good, it captures the essence of Pokémon perfectly, experimenting with a fresh(for a Pokémon Game) instrument combination. The track is good, but it is true that it can be improved with more layers of instruments (I think you guys are missing a bass track and you could totally bring some more background keys to the equation) and using riff variations throughout the song (I think the guy above me didn't like the song, because it keeps going to the main riff over and over again), to give a bit more depth and variety to the song. However, it is a good and acceptable track for a fan game. 3.5/5

EDIT - Well, apparently there is a barely noticeable bass track. I had to pop my volume a lot to listen to it. One of the characteristics of Pokémon music is that bass tracks are usually well "visible", even though they are usually a secondary feature of the song. Your Route 1 song explores this concept well. The Rival Theme as a problem - the bass track is barely loud enough to be heard, and if it were to be heard, it wouldn't blend well with the rest of the song, because it sounds like a Surf Rock bass sample. The bass track is currently not adding to the groove or rhythm of the song. I would definitely rework that bass and make sure it is properly featured in that song (and maybe redo the current bass as a secondary guitar track?).

Last edited:

AdAstraGL

Music Composer | Rom Hacker
Years
Well, I know a thing or two about music, aswell. Firstly you are very wrong when you label these tracks as "bad", because they aren't bad. They are much, much better than 90% of the music people are making for their games. These tracks are pretty decent and with some more investment on the production part, I bet they could sound more refined. I also disagree when you call the track monotonous. It is just about as monotonous as any other official Pokémon Battle theme; maybe if this was a non-Pokémon track, I would say that it would need less repetition, but besides being a bit repetitive, the track is not monotonous/boring at all. The composing is good, it captures the essence of Pokémon perfectly, experimenting with a fresh(for a Pokémon Game) instrument combination. The track is good, but it is true that it can be improved with more layers of instruments (I think you guys are missing a bass track and you could totally bring some more background keys to the equation) and using riff variations throughout the song (I think the guy above me didn't like the song, because it keeps going to the main riff over and over again), to give a bit more depth and variety to the song. However, it is a good and acceptable track for a fan game. 3.5/5

EDIT - Well, apparently there is a barely noticeable bass track. I had to pop my volume a lot to listen to it. One of the characteristics of Pokémon music is that bass tracks are usually well "visible", even though they are usually a secondary feature of the song. Your Route 1 song explores this concept well. The Rival Theme as a problem - the bass track is barely loud enough to be heard, and if it were to be heard, it wouldn't blend well with the rest of the song, because it sounds like a Surf Rock bass sample. The bass track is currently not adding to the groove or rhythm of the song. I would definitely rework that bass and make sure it is properly featured in that song (and maybe redo the current bass as a secondary guitar track?).

Oh well. I have to say one thing: this track is not bad but it could have been done better.
So you think it is as repetitive as all the other original Pokémon tracks released so far?
I still don't understand why being monotonous could be acceptable, to you. Songs like this are starting to be boring. I think it's time to change... these tracks can't surprise me anymore, because we've all heard and re-heard this kind of pieces.
Ethereal Gates is an "open-minded" project, thus you don't have to be like Pokémon obligatorily. You can add spice to your musical works without any problems and with no limitations.

I believe in this game, and I hope not to be disappointed in the future.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Oh well. I have to say one thing: this track is not bad but it could have been done better.
So you think it is as repetitive as all the other original Pokémon tracks released so far?
I still don't understand why being monotonous could be acceptable, to you. Songs like this start to be boring. I think it's time to change... these tracks can't surprise me anymore, because we've all heard and re-heard this kind of songs.
Ethereal Gates is an "open-minded" project, thus you don't have to be like Pokémon obligatorily. You can add spice to your musical works without any problems and with no limitations.

I trust in this game, and I hope not to be disappointed in the future.

You switched the words around. I think it is as monotonous as regular Pokémon tracks. The song is a bit repetitive, but not on the conventional sense; it is a song refreshing enough to be accepted, even with its flaws. And yes, I believe they are already making a soundtrack that is "spicy" and different from what the rest of the Pokémon games out there. Using real instruments instead of VSTs, really gives these songs a nice little twist. I think if you are to criticize these songs, please do it in a way where your critique is more constructive, because right now you are just labelling the songs, pointlessly. I believe I already pointed out some of the flaws in my last post, but it would be nice to hear some constructive feedback from someone who could very well be composing for GameFreak (yes, I am serious; I took some time and listened to some of your songs on your YouTube channel).

PerihelionProductions

Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Hey guys, we appreciate all forms of feedback, so thanks so much DemonOfJustice and LordDragon3005! We appreciate your opinions, and while we know we can't please everyone, we're doing our best to have a combination of a recognizable Pokemon style with some new twists that hopefully most people can get on board with (like our use of instruments)!

Anyway, we've got a nice update coming soon, so everyone should be on the lookout for that!

PerihelionProductions

Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Hey guys, guess what we have for all of you!
SOME NEW ART!!!

introducing_fernling__by_siraquakip-d8so3mt.png

introducing_kittorch__by_siraquakip-d8qf33d.png

introducing_bubull__by_siraquakip-d8pskx5.png

Also, to all of you out there, here's a very extra-special advanced warning that we're going to have a nice large update on THURSDAY OF THIS WEEK. So keep your eyes peeled for some new screenshots and some new Pokémon [among other things] :)

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
I like the Water-type starter. Looking great, keep up the good work.

Starrcasm

Years
Thanks so much, Florio! Coming from the owner of Pokémon Crimson Skies, that means a lot! Speaking for the rest of the team as well as myself, we're all huge fans ^_^

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 31, 2016
Nice job guys, keep up the good work^^ looking forward to seeing the new screens :P

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
There certainly are a lot of "Kittorch" fakemon on deviantart, but this one has quite the adorable design.

I usually choose grass-type starters, but I have to say that the designs for Kittorch and Bubull are starting to sway my interest.

Starrcasm

Years
Actually, embarassingly enough, all of the Kittorches on deviantART except for the one from BetaCanthite are actually either the current Kittorch design or previous ones from our project ^_^

Man did we go through a ton of Kittorch designs over the last 7 years.

PerihelionProductions

Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAY 14 UPDATE

Over the past few weeks we've been absolutely floored by the response we've gotten from all of you! We'd like to thank all of you. We've been under-wraps for so long, and having this positive of a response from the public after going so long without feedback is the most motivational thing ever!

- the Perihelion Productions team

pp_logo_by_siraquakip-d8tc7kd.png

NOW FOR SOME NEW MATERIAL!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME INFO

It's not really a secret, but this project has been going on in some form for over 7 years now. And while it was originally started to be a fun, community fueled, sprite-dump ROM hack on the Pokémon Fan Universe forums, it's evolved into something well beyond that scope.

old_starters_by_siraquakip-d8tc7wg.png

[Starters, Circa 2008. Will not be in Pokémon Ethereal Gates.]

The most recent, and final, incarnation of the project is what you see before you. It's the combination of seven years of learning and growing. Pokémon Ethereal Gates is what we hope will be the ultimate fan-game experience: a classic Pokémon feel with a brand new region, brand new plot, brand new Pokémon, and a bunch of new features to keep your sense of discovery from dwindling.

It is also worth noting that we will not be releasing the full Pokédex before release. We want you to be continuously discovering new things in the Leneka Region, so don't expect us to reveal too many Pokémon pre-release!

POKEMON

There are over 200 original Pokemon in Pokemon Ethereal Gates! No official Pokemon will make any appearances in the game. For you today we have two more original Pokémon of the Leneka Region: Avinch and Haibril.

avinch_art_by_siraquakip-d8tc87s.png

#10 Avinch
The Finch Pokémon
Normal/Flying Type

Height: 1'03"
Weight: 10.5 lbs

Keen Eye - Prevents the Pokémon from losing accuracy.
Quick Feet - Boosts Speed if there is a status problem.
(Hidden) Big Pecks - Protects the Pokémon from Defense-lowering attacks.

haibril_art_by_siraquakip-d8tc886.png

#46 Haibril
The Curved Horn Pokémon
Normal Type

Height: 4'09"
Weight: 141.1 lbs

Pickup - The Pokémon may pick up items
Anger Point - Raises Attack upon taking a critical hit.
(Hidden) Weak Armor - Raises Speed and lowers defense by one stage each upon being hit by a move.

SCREENSHOTS

a_warm_day_at_the_beach__by_siraquakip-d8tci5m.png
pokemon_center_by_siraquakip-d8tcouj.png
avinch_v_haibril__by_siraquakip-d8tcp0c.png

ALSO FIND US AT

THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Years
Just a personal gripe, the floor tiles in the Pokemon Center seem to be highly contrasted and doesn't help compliment the other tiles around it. I would consider bringing them a closer shade to the wall behind the nurse.

Other than that cool game.

Back