• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
Hi, I want to make a Pokemon hack based on Fire red but i have no idea where i can find a complete list of downloadable tools to hack it perfectly. I would be really grateful if someone can give a some kind of connection to such access. Thanks in advance.
P.S. I already checked the toolbox but it lacks main tools and confuses my brains!

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Update: I think I found the "The End" graphic in unLZ, but i can't find the credits, even in A-Text. Is it even possible to edit the credits in FireRed?

Also, I'll restate my other question. Is it currently possible to remove the part in the intro where Oak introduces your Rival and you name him?

I just did a quick check, and the credits are editable in A-text. It's very seperated though. For example, "Director" is one string, and "Junichi Masuda" is a completely separate string. You'll need to find all of them in order to edit the credits, which should be a pretty big feat, but it's still do-able.

The rival naming is only removable with ASM.

Hi, I want to make a Pokemon hack based on Fire red but i have no idea where i can find a complete list of downloadable tools to hack it perfectly. I would be really grateful if someone can give a some kind of connection to such access. Thanks in advance.
P.S. I already checked the toolbox but it lacks main tools and confuses my brains!

If the stuff in the toolbox confuses your brains you ought to start somewhere basic. The three tools that, in my opinion, any ROM hacker needs is Advance Map, both 1.95 and 1.92 if possible, XSE 1.1.1, and a good hex editor. Technically, a hex editor is the only thing you need, but A-Map and XSE help make the process somewhat less confusing. Learn how to use those tools, and basic ROM hacking stuff before downloading tons of tools. It's better to understand before you blindly charge in :)

Teawanee

Fire-Type Trainer
Years
Please help? I'm a noob at hacking, so try to explain things as simply as possible? I'm using a fire red rom btw ^.^

I'm using unLZ.gba to replace sprites, and when I write to rom I keep getting the error: "Compressed size is XXX: which is too big."
Is there any way to fix this?

Also, when you first start the game you know the page with the charizard and flames and version name? can I edit that in any way?

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I just did a quick check, and the credits are editable in A-text. It's very seperated though. For example, "Director" is one string, and "Junichi Masuda" is a completely separate string. You'll need to find all of them in order to edit the credits, which should be a pretty big feat, but it's still do-able.

I checked through all the sections in Advance Text, but I still couldn't find it. Can you tell me how you managed to do it?

I'm scared of it, but it appears it's time to read up on ASM...

redriders180

Years
I checked through all the sections in Advance Text, but I still couldn't find it. Can you tell me how you managed to do it?

I'm scared of it, but it appears it's time to read up on ASM...

I opened up A-text, opened up the ROM, opened up the search tool, checked "go to beginning of text", and typed in various strings, i.e. "FireRed Version" and "Junichi Masuda", keeping mind to use proper case.

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
Please help? I'm a noob at hacking, so try to explain things as simply as possible? I'm using a fire red rom btw ^.^

I'm using unLZ.gba to replace sprites, and when I write to rom I keep getting the error: "Compressed size is XXX: which is too big."
Is there any way to fix this?

Also, when you first start the game you know the page with the charizard and flames and version name? can I edit that in any way?

This is unLZ telling you that your Sprite image is too big to be put in that spot where the old image is, so you will need to re-point that image elsewhere in your ROM. unLZ will do this for you, here is an excerpt from my Tutorial that should help you.

Spoiler:

As for the second part you are probably referring to the Title screen in Fire Red. There is a Tutorial on that in the Tutorials section of the forum, usually midway through the first page.

Last edited:

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
i want to change the word Fight,Run,BAG,Run which are the commands in the battle box
so i searched for them using A-TEXT and found them but when i change them and re point them and test i found no change is the error from me or those commands are uneditable?

KhaosKnight

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
i want to change the word Fight,Run,BAG,Run which are the commands in the battle box
so i searched for them using A-TEXT and found them but when i change them and re point them and test i found no change is the error from me or those commands are uneditable?

They are indeed editable, for a FireRed ROM the offset to the text is 3FE725, and this is the string.

Code:
\c[&H05]È\c[&H04]ÒÓÔ[B]FIGHT[/B]\c[&H13][&H38][B]BAG[/B]
[B]POKéMON[/B]\c[&H13][&H38][B]RUN[/B]
For a Ruby ROM it should be 400CF3.

Code:
\c[&H05]È\c[&H04]ÒÓÔ[B]FIGHT[/B]\c[&H13]+[B]BAG[/B]
[B]POKéMON[/B]\c[&H13]+[B]RUN[/B]
and finally for Emerald it should be 5CCA3A

Code:
[B]FIGHT[/B]\c[&H13][&H38][B]BAG[/B]
I have played around with these before and when I re-point they work just fine. Although watch out for the amount of text you put in, sometimes it cuts off(Attachment).

Last edited:

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
They are indeed editable, for a FireRed ROM the offset to the text is 3FE725, and this is the string.

Code:
\c[&H05]È\c[&H04]ÒÓÔ[B]FIGHT[/B]\c[&H13][&H38][B]BAG[/B]
For a Ruby ROM it should be 400CF3.

Code:
\c[&H05]È\c[&H04]ÒÓÔ[B]FIGHT[/B]\c[&H13]+[B]BAG[/B]
[B]POKéMON[/B]\c[&H13]+[B]RUN[/B]
and finally for Emerald it should be 5CCA3A

Code:
[B]FIGHT[/B]\c[&H13][&H38][B]BAG[/B]
I have played around with these before and when I re-point they work just fine. Although watch out for the amount of text you put in, sometimes it cuts off(Attachment).
Sorry im a noob at A-TEXt but where should i put the offset of ruby in Advance text and how do i change them?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017

If the stuff in the toolbox confuses your brains you ought to start somewhere basic. The three tools that, in my opinion, any ROM hacker needs is Advance Map, both 1.95 and 1.92 if possible, XSE 1.1.1, and a good hex editor. Technically, a hex editor is the only thing you need, but A-Map and XSE help make the process somewhat less confusing. Learn how to use those tools, and basic ROM hacking stuff before downloading tons of tools. It's better to understand before you blindly charge in :)
Thanks this helps alot! I downloaded the applications and they work fine.

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Sorry im a noob at A-TEXt but where should i put the offset of ruby in Advance text and how do i change them?
What he meant was that you need to hex edit at that offset. You cannot use Advance Text most likely to change that phrase. In order to use the offset, you need to edit the file that contains a list of phrases in Advance Text. Open the "ini" folder in the place where Advance Text is kept. Then look for the file that says AXVE.ini which is the list of phrases in Ruby. Open this file and you should see a list of different phrases and their offsets. Right below the beginning
Code:
'********************************************'
'
' Advance-Text Offset-file
'
' Created with Advance-Text Version: 3.0.10
'
' Created on: 07.09.2005 16:33:00
'
'
' ROM Name     : POKEMON RUBY
' ROM Code     : AXVE
' ROM Language : English
' ROM Maker    : Nintendo
'
you should add the following for Ruby after the above code
Code:
[Battle Dialogue]
Options=400CF3
so it looks like this after you are done
Code:
' ROM Language : English
' ROM Maker    : Nintendo
'
[Battle Dialogue]
Options=400CF3
[Title]
New Game=40DCD0
Options=40DCE2
Continue=40DCD9

and that should be it! Now you can change the text with Adv-Text

Last edited:

redriders180

Years

Alternatively, right-click on any of the selections in A-Map, and select "add new offset". You can then choose a section name, make a "nickname" for the battle text, and insert the offset of the text you want to edit. You need to convert the offset to decimal, however.

Last edited:

KhaosKnight

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015

If anything else you take the string I provided for Ruby and search for that in the A-Text search. Save it, then you can edit it in the main window. Make your changes, re-point, and test.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
oh, searching works!
perhaps i can run a video of the credits alongside my searches to edit it effectively...

now, i'm not too knowledgeable on the whole ASM thing, but would I need some know-how in order to insert a completely new type into the game (ex: Light-type) without overwriting another?

pleasesaynopleasesaynopleasesayno

redriders180

Years
oh, searching works!
perhaps i can run a video of the credits alongside my searches to edit it effectively...

now, i'm not too knowledgeable on the whole ASM thing, but would I need some know-how in order to insert a completely new type into the game (ex: Light-type) without overwriting another?

pleasesaynopleasesaynopleasesayno

Well, it depends. Are you willing to sacrifice the ???-type? If you are, then no, otherwise, yes.

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2012
I've searched a bit for this and haven't found anything but I apologize If the answer is obvious and I'm just not seeing it. How do I change the X,Y location for where my character starts the game in Fire Red? I used HackMew's SMCA but it only allows me to pick the X location unless I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
If anything else you take the string I provided for Ruby and search for that in the A-Text search. Save it, then you can edit it in the main window. Make your changes, re-point, and test.
Sorry for the inconvenience again i understood what you said and edited successfully the battle commands but the problem is that there are some other text i want to edit like TORCHIC used GROWL! i searched for the word "used" because i don't know the default Pokemon name is what? till i found this \v[&H20] used \v[&H13]!
i edited and repoint but when i test it still Torchic Used GROWL i tried the way you told me when i searched i found the offset and switch it to hex and put it in the INI file and edit it but also nothing change what the problem again and sorry for my bad englsih :D

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2018
So myself and a friend are starting up a ROMhack project, and we're having some issues with the sprites for our new Pokemon. Specifically, the sprites are somehow picking up the background colour of the image file around the edges, resulting in blocky black outlines that we really want to get rid of. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I would post an image but my post-count isn't high enough yet.

KhaosKnight

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
Sorry for the inconvenience again i understood what you said and edited successfully the battle commands but the problem is that there are some other text i want to edit like TORCHIC used GROWL! i searched for the word "used" because i don't know the default Pokemon name is what? till i found this \v[&H20] used \v[&H13]!
i edited and repoint but when i test it still Torchic Used GROWL i tried the way you told me when i searched i found the offset and switch it to hex and put it in the INI file and edit it but also nothing change what the problem again and sorry for my bad englsih :D

That one was trickier to find. The offset for that is at 4007BD or just search the following string. Editing this string will affect both of the "used" in "TORCHIC used GROWL" and "Wild POOCHYENA used GROWL"

Code:
[LEGEND1] used
[PLAYER]
I didn't think that would be it, but I tested it and it worked. Things like these just take trial and error, there are a great deal a similar text strings throughout the game. Just make a backup, play with the different strings, and write down the ones that work they way you want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back