• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let’s share our most painful shiny fails!

Years
The title says it all. And as the creator, I must share mine, perhaps the most painful, and least likely to happen. So I was playing HeartGold, and there is the point in the game where you run into the Sudowoodo. So I caught it, and then proceeded to go to a Pokemon center to refresh. And guess what? I find a shiny Growlithe! I get all excited, and go to PokeBalls to use right away so I dont have risk of knocking it out. And guess what? Empty PokéBall bag, used them all on the sudowoodo... why random shinies why...

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
I've only had one, but I still remember it vividly. It was from UM.

I was doing some EV training in Diglett's Tunnel, trying to work on a Pokemon's speed (can't remember which it was) and I was killing off Zubat when all of a sudden A WILD SHINY ZUBAT APPEARED. As I usually leave my 3DS on mute when I EV train, I totally didn't catch the shiny, and I went in and KO'd it. As soon as I realised, the Zubat was already taking damage. Immediate facepalms and crying followed.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I ran away from a Noctowl and on my last second seeing it, I realized it was a shiny.

blue

gucci
Years
I ran into a shiny Spearow in pokemon crystal ON an emulator and I don't recall being able to catch it. D:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Shiny Pidgeotto.

It... well... it whirlwinded me away. Little did I know that it could not whirlwind away Pokemon over a certain level...

The worst thing is that I had a Pokemon over that certain level in my party. Had it switched to it, I would have had two shinies in HeartGold :(

Years
I failed a shiny Nuzleaf in SoulSilver's Safari Zone. Tossed like half of my Safari balls but because of my horrible luck, none of them worked and it fled. Nearly threw my DS at a wall after that...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
It was hoard battle on my Y or OR, that time I encounter a shiny oddish (forgot) and ooof boy I regret that day I killed it because there's no way telling which oddish is the shiny one ooof

Years
I was trying to spread Pokerus in Ultra Sun and ran into a random shiny Absol however I failed it because it wouldn't go in the ball and it died to hail damage. I also knocked out a shiny Groudon because I forgot it's typing thinking that it was part fire type, needless to say, I was wrong

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
one time I was doing the Bug Catching Contest on Soul Silver and I ran into a shiny Beedrill

it wouldn't go in the ball before it killed the Pokemon I brought =(

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I was in a segment that required you to have a partner with you (I think it was in White) when I encountered a shiny Skorupi. Unfortunately, since my character is apparently incapable of aiming with a poke ball when there are two Pokemon on the field (I miss Colosseum), I couldn't catch it. The Pokemon I had out wasn't strong enough to take out my partner's Pokemon in one hit (to avoid having to hope that my partner targeted the non-shiny Pokemon on the field), and unfortunately, said partner immediately took out poor Skorupi with a super effective attack.

Years
Quoting this post of mine from 8 years ago, because I'm still bitter about most of these. Especially that last one, even though it was on an emulator, and it wasn't even a great Pokemon.
-The first I saw was a shiny Teddiursa on my Pokemon Gold. I ended up getting a one-hit KO thanks to a critical hit, and I've seen very few Teddiursa (let alone shiny) since then.

[...]

-The third I encountered was a shiny Paras in the Safari Zone on Fire Red. I was fooling around and wanted to see if I could catch a Chansey with only 1 step and 1 Safari Ball left. With my luck, I ran into a shiny Paras, and I didn't want to risk it running away, so I threw my Safari Ball at it right away, with no luck.
-The last one I found a few weeks later was when I was playing Fire Red on VBA. I was just randomly going through it when I was stopped by the old man who teaches you how to catch Pokemon. A Shiny Weedle appeared, and I was quite mad at the fact that I found a shiny on the VBA, and I wasn't able to even catch it!

Spoiler:

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
In a Crystal playthrough, I ran up against a shiny Raticate, but I ended up knocking it... From that moment onwards, I always hated critical hits. They never benefit me.

KipKap

Inactive
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 18, 2019
Oh look! Shiny Wailmer! Well, I didn't expect that! This is great! Let's catch it!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE NO POKÉBALLS?????? AT ALL????? D:

Years
I bought Pokemon Ultra Moon a week after its release because I was busy with college studies. So, during the day before Thanksgiving break I went to buy the game. One month later I arrived at Poni island and started my shiny hunt on December 24th, 2017. I kept at it for two months, obviously I did not go at it for hours and days. On February 2nd, 2018 I was relaxing at my couch watching YT videos while soft-resetting for Type: Null. Multi-tasking was a big mistake, after a few soft-resets my eye caught an odd coloring scheme of the Pokemon but my fingers reacted to quick before I stopped to take a long look at it. So, it was at that moment that I knew I failed. I stopped and banged my head on my pillow.

The next day, I continued shiny hunting for Type: Null to reclaim it. I was successful to reclaim my shiny Type: Null two days later!!! I was relieved and continued my gameplay onto Poni Grove.

Type: Null is my first shiny fail. xD

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I'm not even a huge fan of the line, but I nearly cried after my first Shiny fail: an exploding Graveler in Pearl. However, it wasn't even half an hour later when I found and captured a Shiny Machoke on the same game and that kind of made up for it.

My most unfortunate Shiny fail happened in Platinum's Great Marsh. I like Quagsire and its Shiny, so I rage-quit when it fled.

More Shiny Fails:

Shiny Scraggy (post-Shiny Charm). I accidentally entered the grass while hatching with Talonflame on X when it appeared in a horde. It ended up getting Burned and, due to the repetitive use of Sand Attack, I wasn't able to target the Shiny with a Poké Ball before it fainted.

I finally chained a Shiny Vulpix in DPPt after several failed attempts. Forgot it had Roar.

Shiny Pidgeotto in LeafGreen used Whirlwind, though this one didn't hurt much since I'd already found a full-odds Shiny Pidgey on another game and was mentally-braced for it since I knew it appeared in the area.

Last edited:

pikaszablak

best girl
Years
The only shiny I found in gen 7 was a shiny Rilou. I tried to catch it with a quick ball but it broke out and killed itself with Final Gambit. My heart was crushed.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
In a playthrough of Souls Silver, i found a shiny Ratata in the Safari Zone. I threw only 1 Pokéball at it, and it fled immediately after breaking out. Hadn't even thrown any bait or mud at it, it was literally on the first turn.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Shiny Woobat on pokemon white.

I'll never forget that day. I was training an umbreon, to use in random match ups, and I thought its return attack wouldn't KO it and it'd be weak enough to catch...

Big. Mistake.

....Training a shiny swoobat up woulda been awesome xD; oh well.

Back