• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Survey: New Script Editor Ideas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
How come strings don't have quotation marks? I think they should, it makes things more solid.

Also, I don't know if you already added this, but what about implementing the support for macros?

Because strings can contain quotation marks. It seemed easier to use {" and "} are string prefix and suffix. If you can think of a better way, please do tell.

I wasn't going to... But I guess I could. I never really used macros, so I don't really understand their benefit.

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
Years
i have a suggestion: maybe you should put built in scripts for your editor so you dont have to constantly write out a new script every time (especially for really long hacks) and a built in free space editor :)

I'm just a n00b, but i hope you will consider :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2019
oooooooh
A Darthatron tool!
I don't really have anything to fault here other than a lack of quotation marks around the strings :/

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
i have a suggestion: maybe you should put built in scripts for your editor so you dont have to constantly write out a new script every time (especially for really long hacks) and a built in free space editor :)

I'm just a n00b, but i hope you will consider :)
No to the built in scripts. People won't learn with those. Perhaps some kind of templates, but not a generator.
oooooooh
A Darthatron tool!
I don't really have anything to fault here other than a lack of quotation marks around the strings :/
It will be very difficult to parse strings just using quotation marks. Either quotations in the script will need to be changed from " and ["], or strings will need to be contained within something else. So please. Give me an idea.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
No to the built in scripts. People won't learn with those. Perhaps some kind of templates, but not a generator.

I agree with no built in scripts, but I also dont think you should use templates either. At least none that you have put in. What if you make it so the user can buil there own template and save it, because I know it can get annoying creating dozens of simple message scripts and the likes over and over.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
I agree with no built in scripts, but I also dont think you should use templates either. At least none that you have put in. What if you make it so the user can buil there own template and save it, because I know it can get annoying creating dozens of simple message scripts and the likes over and over.

I very much agree with this idea. It would help people learn while making it simpler to those who script a lot to have to rewrite an entire script.

droomph

weeb
Years
It will be very difficult to parse strings just using quotation marks. Either quotations in the script will need to be changed from " and ["], or strings will need to be contained within something else. So please. Give me an idea.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, in C (Xcode specifically) " is contained in the string as "\"", \ is contained in the string as "\\", and such things like that.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Yeah, you just need to do what droomph said for the parsing. Use a \ as an escape character. It would definitely make the syntax for strings simpler and more appealing. Plus, it appears you already have it implemented, so nothing to big, right?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
That could work. Thanks for the suggestion.
I very much agree with this idea. It would help people learn while making it simpler to those who script a lot to have to rewrite an entire script.
Indeed. ^_^
Well, if I'm not mistaken, in C (Xcode specifically) " is contained in the string as "\"", \ is contained in the string as "\\", and such things like that.
Right. I dunno how I missed that. Wow. :\ Thank you! " will be \" and ["] will be [\"]
Yeah, you just need to do what droomph said for the parsing. Use a \ as an escape character. It would definitely make the syntax for strings simpler and more appealing. Plus, it appears you already have it implemented, so nothing to big, right?
Yeah! :D

Alright. Good progress guise. I'm just doing some syntax changes, and will post my ideas in the next few days.

droomph

weeb
Years
Alright. Good progress guise. I'm just doing some syntax changes, and will post my ideas in the next few days.

On the idea of "templates", you should definitely do something like this:
19575260.png

12899639.png

I know for a fact that I could use something like
trainerbattle [S-HIGHLIGHT]battle type[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]trainer id[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]reserved 0[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]seen msg ptr[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]win msg ptr[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]after msg ptr[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
most of the time...

(And for the ASM...if you're going to do that, PLEASE make the bl instructions accurate...I cannot tell you how annoying PKSV is with that.)

Wait, you said you were doing a plugin system, right?

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
On the idea of "templates", you should definitely do something like this:
19575260.png

12899639.png

I know for a fact that I could use something like
trainerbattle [S-HIGHLIGHT]battle type[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]trainer id[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]reserved 0[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]seen msg ptr[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]win msg ptr[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [S-HIGHLIGHT]after msg ptr[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
most of the time...
That's not what I meant by templates at all. :\
(And for the ASM...if you're going to do that, PLEASE make the bl instructions accurate...I cannot tell you how annoying PKSV is with that.)
What do you mean? How could it be inaccurate?
Wait, you said you were doing a plugin system, right?
Maybe. Why?

droomph

weeb
Years
That's not what I meant by templates at all. :\

Well...I couldn't tell you the many times I had to pull up a certain guy's scripting reference and scroll through to find trainerbattle. It gets annoying after a while.

Oh well, I'll just get of mah BUTT and learn VB so I can make a plugin.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Well...I couldn't tell you the many times I had to pull up a certain guy's scripting reference and scroll through to find trainerbattle. It gets annoying after a while.

> VisualBasic
Don't waste your time. It's definitely considered out-dated. ( I'm sure most people can agree on this. ) If you're going to learn anything, learn C#, Python, and or SQL. I myself use C++, as well. :P

And call me crazy, but I'm fairly certain this is what he was meaning as far as templates are concerned. :P

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
Years

Templates would also work to :), but i do have a question: how is your script editor\creator going to be different from the others?

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
Years

> VisualBasic
Don't waste your time. It's definitely considered out-dated. ( I'm sure most people can agree on this. ) If you're going to learn anything, learn C#, Python, and or SQL. I myself use C++, as well. :P

And call me crazy, but I'm fairly certain this is what he was meaning as far as templates are concerned. :P

Actually you are not 100% right when stating that VB is outdated. VB6 is outdated but VB.NET(2005+) isnt and runs on .NET just like C#. As for the templates I think he means Visual Studio like ones, because C++ templates are really unneeded in scripting.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Well, that is what I meant about VB... xD
Obviously VB.NET isn't outdated, considering there are still new versions of it being released. :P
And you could be right, but it was just a guess. :o

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years

I dunno why would PM'd me the BL bit, but yeah, this will read that properly.

> VisualBasic

Not what I meant by templates either.
Templates would also work to :), but i do have a question: how is your script editor\creator going to be different from the others?
It will have my name all over it. And it will probably be faster. And hopefully easier to use.
Actually you are not 100% right when stating that VB is outdated. VB6 is outdated but VB.NET(2005+) isnt and runs on .NET just like C#. As for the templates I think he means Visual Studio like ones, because C++ templates are really unneeded in scripting.
Yep.
Well, that is what I meant about VB... xD
Obviously VB.NET isn't outdated, considering there are still new versions of it being released. :P
And you could be right, but it was just a guess. :o
Yep.
I think someone already said it, but a flag finder would be cool.
No. Just no. No.
Not sure if you already have this planned or not, but support for expanded ROMs.
Of course. All GBA hacking tools released nowadays should support 32MB ROMs.

Darkdata

15 year old me was an idiot.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 25, 2013
We may be on the wrong foot from an earlier conversation, but my only bit of advice would be to keep the syntax as simple as possible. XSE does a fine job of making sure that things are easy to read at a glance. There really is no need for syntax from languages like java or c++.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back