• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

1st Gen What part annoyed you the most in R/B/Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
In Yellow, how you had to use Pikachu practically to defeat Brock, and his moves barely even affect the Rock/Ground. But I also disliked the layout of the Pokecenters greatly. Not to mention going through caves and how often pokemon appeared. I basically share the same frustrations as a lot of people who have already posted do.

terminoob

Waffles.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Safari Zone, Sabrina in Yellow, the limited item space, Pokemon Mansion (due to limited item space, I didn't grab the Escape Rope in the beginning of it and I got utterly lost in it after I found the key since I kept dropping through the sides and didn't know what statues to touch... I think I ended up restarting the game), Mt. Moon having the most ridiculous amount of ladders ever, Rock Tunnel, and that "Your Pokeball missed the Pokemon!" crap.

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2012
*Not being able to run
*The fight against Brock in yellow version

One moment I was particularly frustrated (with Pokemon Red):

A wild Caterpie appeared!
Go Pidgey!
Pidgey used gust!
*Thud* ( Caterpie hangs on with half it's Hp left)
Caterpie uses string shot!
What!?!? It wasn't super effective!?!? -__-

were the type matchups different back then or something? lol.

StarkePkMn

Master of The Sky
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Rocket Hideout. :( Spinning torture gave me headaches. And you spin SO SLOWLY.

That's for damn sure...

Back in the day I had no internet, I busted my ass finding the solution for that building, later found out you can walk the stairs to fourth floor, get a teleport, get it back, cross the hall, kill a guy, get a teleport, you're at boss. Oh and the first time I got it right, Gary mopped the floor with me with his OP Pokémon for the time.

A wild Caterpie appeared!
Go Pidgey!
Pidgey used gust!
*Thud* ( Caterpie hangs on with half it's Hp left)
Caterpie uses string shot!
What!?!? It wasn't super effective!?!? -__-

were the type matchups different back then or something? lol.

Gust in R/B/Y was a normal attack, Peck etc. were still Super Effective.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2012
That's for damn sure...
Gust in R/B/Y was a normal attack, Peck etc. were still Super Effective.

Lol I wish gust was flying type back then, it really should have been. Another thing that always annoyed me was the flatness of each town. It never bothered me as a kid, but I recently revisited my Pokemon Red after pretty much completing Pokemon DIamond and I keep trying to walk behind buildings only to end up walking into them lol. In some cases, it just doesn't make sense haha.

Sizes of certain objects compared to the character also annoyed me. The best example is the size of the S.S. Anne compared to the main player. I still don't like it in Leaf Green.

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
Years
As a kid, I would say trying to get to the secret house in the Safari Zone to get surf. I'd keep going the wrong way or get sidetracked after seeing a pokemon i wanted.

now, i'd have to say the simplicity of the routes and towns. rt. 7 is nothing more but a patch of grass, and some of the other routes have a minimal challenge to it.

I agree with WooperIsMyFav92 when it comes to the sizes of certain things (SS. Anne some of the buildings, etc.)

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I'd say battling Brock and Misty, I always chose Charmander and hated using psychics, water, and grass types. They were very difficult for me.

RetardRaichu

Banned
Years
Come with Hypno, Come with Hypno, Come with Hypno, Little Child, Come to me, lots of fun you'll have- Wee! Come to me, Hypno will take care of you..
Obviously Lavender Town. Or Silph Co.
Imen4srslz, I actually thought I saw BA Model for half a second fighting Marowak.
Also one time I saw the Hypno cave in the exact same area it was in the pasta..
I burned the cartridge and removed the ROMs I had put on some websites without Pokemon Green. O_O God forbid..

Years
I think the most frustrating thing about the old games was when special was one stat on the r/b/y and when all type moves were all either special or pysical on g/s/c bringing in that into the new games is definately the biggest improvement

Years
Pokemon Tower. I normally luve Gastlys *huggable* but that place keeps ruining them for me. Also, I don't like how the bottom floor of this is the one place in R/B/Y when people actually talk about mature issues. As a kid it really confused me: Do Pokemon die or not?

Also, Rock Tunnel.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
Trollinnn, but you guys do know that by inverting the colors on the GBC, you could see without flash in dark places?
*BAM*
Childhood frustration pointless.

The Last One

Stalking Your Conversations
Years
that there was no breeding, I didnt really ahve a problem with them because I only played Yellow, and Yellow was awsome cause u could get Pokachu as your starter, and then 3 random people give you Squirtle/Charmander/Bulbasaur.. but after playing Gold, etc etc, it frustrated me on hwo you could not breed =(

TheCondor

Noblesse oblige
Years
that there was no breeding, I didnt really ahve a problem with them because I only played Yellow, and Yellow was awsome cause u could get Pokachu as your starter, and then 3 random people give you Squirtle/Charmander/Bulbasaur.. but after playing Gold, etc etc, it frustrated me on hwo you could not breed =(

Yeah, breeding really could have been fun in RBY. But the whole charm of the trading aspect would have blown over a lot by it. Although the one thing that really bothers me now when I play the RBY games is not being able to evolve mons that require a trade to evolve. I don't own a working system for just RBY trading, so it seems I'll be stuck with my Haunter forever. Other than that, the requirement to pretty much get a fighting type at the beginning of Yellow just because of Brock's gym.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
But when you think about it through, Back then it was the in thing and we didn't know any better because half the stuff didn't exist back then like breeding :)

Balalaika

Subverting all the clichés!  
Years
Pokemon Tower, there was a Gastly like every 3 steps and it was just an overall irritating experience. I wasn't a fan of Rock Tunnel either.

Last edited:

Rafi

2.B.A Master
Years
I'd have to say going through the caves, they get really annoying without any repel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back