• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Survey: New Script Editor Ideas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
We may be on the wrong foot from an earlier conversation, but my only bit of advice would be to keep the syntax as simple as possible. XSE does a fine job of making sure that things are easy to read at a glance. There really is no need for syntax from languages like java or c++.

I don't think we're on the wrong foot?

Anyway, some people find C++ easier than things like XSE. I'll post a poll some time soon to see what the community wants.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Yes, but a lot of people at PC wouldn't know C++ syntax, and it'd be easier for everyone to have a familiar scripting language. Why don't you go with the option to use either C++ or XSE/Pokescript style, like I mentioned earlier, though?

droomph

weeb
Years
Yes, but a lot of people at PC wouldn't know C++ syntax, and it'd be easier for everyone to have a familiar scripting language. Why don't you go with the option to use either C++ or XSE/Pokescript style, like I mentioned earlier, though?
BASIC, however, is C/C++ syntax but with more easy-to-understand terms.

Well, wouldn't you think
Code:
#org @main
[B]if[/B] variable condition number
     [B]then[/B] statement
is easier to read than
Code:
#org @main
[B]compare[/B] variable number
[B]if2[/B] condition @statement

blahbitty blahbitty blah

#org @statement
statement
?
I get lost so much when reading scripts from the actual game...
C syntax is just more logical sometimes.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I probably will end up having both.
Well, wouldn't you think
Code:
#org @main
[B]if[/B] variable condition number
     [B]then[/B] statement
is easier to read than
Code:
#org @main
[B]compare[/B] variable number
[B]if2[/B] condition @statement

blahbitty blahbitty blah

#org @statement
statement
?
I get lost so much when reading scripts from the actual game...
C syntax is just more logical sometimes.
Agreed.

EDIT:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Well iif just looks like a typo.

And plus, why would you use compare when you have an inline if?

Ah, I don't know. Do whatever you want.

Right now it's all just concepts. I'm here to get ideas from users. So thanks for your feedback. :) You made good points.

droomph

weeb
Years
Also, instead of if condition goto statement you should have the destination code included right after, but indented (by default).

Like so:
if condition call {
statement
return
}​

or:
if condition goto {
statement
end

That way we won't have to scroll and match up numbers, or deal with seperating out brackets.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Taking what you guys said... What do you think looks better? Or perhaps some other way you have in mind? Please make suggestions. :)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

At the moment my idea is to let all of these syntaxes work, rather than having a specific one. But this could make tutorials very confusing since they could all be using different syntax.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Definitely 3. It's most similar to GML (a language used in Game Maker that I'm familiar with), which in turn is similar to C++. And it looks the most sensible anyway.

link12552

decade club
Years
Personally I LOVE the semi-colon, it makes thing so much more readable (especially having dealt with VB which doesn't use it)
Style 3 is a lot more pleasing to me (it's C#!!!!!!! yes, hahahaha evil laughter)
and it resembles C++/C and a couple of other scripting languages I've encountered over the years, which is good.
The fewer prog-languages we have to remember the better. :)

droomph

weeb
Years
Oh, and also, I think it should have a custom pointer thing just like the flag namer.

For example, instead of memorizing bl #0x82E7BE0 we could just type in bl mod or another name like so.

Just a thought...

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
May I suggest something? PYTHON STYLE. ;)
Code:
flag_name = 0x123 #<- flag number.
flag_name2 = 0x456 #<- a different flag
@entry:
   lock();faceplayer()
   if flag_name:
           do_things();
   elif flag_name2: jump @next_label
   release; end;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back