• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any one else disappointed with Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon?

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
Ok, I liked the story, the fact I can CHOOSE what Pokémon I am, the way moves improves with enough use, ALL Pokémon leveling up despite not being used & some other things, but I don't feel these make up for the things the game didn't have...

Bulletin board missions
I liked this mechanic from older Mystery Dungeon games, because you can count on there being more & their rewards may make going back to a dungeon worth it & this just REALLY added replay value... The system on Super Mystery Dungeon did guaranteed all Pokémon, but what happens when you have them all? Can you even go to dungeons after clearing all 700 something quests? That's a lot, but still not infinite adventures...

can't grind between story missions
Previous Mystery Dungeon games allowed you to do bulletin board missions to level up, get helpful items & make sure you can handle the challenges ahead. But on Super Mystery Dungeon, you don't have a choice, you have to do this, do that, just do what the game wanted you to do & this continues after the story, seems like all the possible missions are in set order.

Evolution are pointless
This was the game killer for me... Since all Pokémon are guaranteed, you don't need to evolve & even if you did, you DON'T GET ANY STRONGER.
The instant I realized my character stats didn't go up at all after evolution, I stopped playing & traded it in for credit. (Which was eventually used to pre-order Pokémon Sun) why even include this feature at all?!? (I think there were some situations where evolution was useful, but are pretty rare.)

I feel that Explorer of Sky was the best Mystery Dungeon game... Yeah, it could be a pain having to go back to dungeons over & over for the Pokémon I want, but at least I could get more than one & get different genders (for nickname purposes) & it feel better to actually EARN them... I feel only legendaries should be guaranteed, as lore wise, they are usually one of a kind.

So if you played the game & was disappointed, what ruined it for you?

blue

gucci
Years
Y'know, I took a break from playing this game for some reason, but from what I've seen so far I have really enjoyed it! The storyline is much more immersive than Gates To Infinity, and while its no Explorers of Sky, it still allows you to connect with over 700 Pokemon. I think that feature on its own allows for hours of gameplay.

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
I mean, the only thing that I was really disappointed by with Super Mystery Dungeon was the fact that, as you've already stated, evolutions are more or less pointless. It's a huge bummer when you spend so much time grinding and trying to evolve a Pokemon when their stats basically remain unchanged. I think one of the biggest attractions to the Mystery Dungeon series is evolving your Pokemon after pouring in hard work leveling them up after grinding them in dungeons that are several floors long and seeing that it's pointless to do so is kind of a letdown.

I feel the game more or less makes up for this by making legendaries kind of easier to get, but legendaries were never really that difficult to get in the first place in the Mystery Dungeon series. In fact, I'd argue that the method of getting legendaries remains virtually unchanged: you challenge them, and if you defeat them, they join your team. There are certain legendaries that automatically join your team though I believe, which is why I said they've probably made this aspect easier, although this rings true for past Mystery Dungeon titles, as well.

All in all, you have some valid concerns! I only disagree with the grinding between story missions, but maybe that's just me. The lack of grinding between story missions essentially meant that you couldn't be too overleveled; if you really wanted to grind, you could do it within the story dungeons themselves within the time limit that the game provides you within that dungeon. However, I personally think a lot of the fun of the story in PMD comes from the tense moments where you're similar in strength to the boss that you're facing and it's pretty much a do-or-die moment. This even rung true in PMD Sky due to Primal Dialga; you could only grind so much but at the end of the day you're still a pre-evolution and Dialga is going to wreck your **** if you aren't careful.

Besides, Super PMD made you overpowered as hell with Looplets and Alliance Attacks so grinding for the sake of becoming stronger doesn't seem to be as important because all you need is the right Looplets with Emeras attached and you'd be set.
Huh, I actually forgot about those loopets & emeras... Also forgotten about the alliance attacks.

With those in mind, I can see how one could become overly powerful...

But I still would prefer being able to take my time, instead of being pushed on.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Well I agree and disagree. I did quite like SMD a lot, though it's my least favourite of the 3 PMD titles I have played. And even then, 2015 was a pretty lackluster gaming year to me.

You did make reasonable points about not being ale to grind between story events, but another flaw I'd point out would be how some of the dungeons were kinda broken. The best example was the dungeon you go to before reaching the 2nd town(forgot what it's called). There's Bouffalant who could tear a massive hole in your team if you are unprepared, there's Onix who can somehow soak in your Razor leaves like they were nothing, and literally every mon in that place had something threatening about them. Even though I had a Grass and Water mon, I still had trouble with the whole place, even the Onixes like I mentioned before. Thankfully I managed to get through the whole nightmare by spamming wands and stuff and so I pulled through, and I quickly got Energy ball so that I won't have such trouble with those Onixes again.

But aside from all the broken dungeons/bosses/whatnot, it's not a terrible game otherwise, and it's still worth buying like all the other PMD series. PMD is bar none my favourite spin off series, and it still has yet to disappoint me.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 12, 2023
I mean, the only thing that I was really disappointed by with Super Mystery Dungeon was the fact that, as you've already stated, evolutions are more or less pointless. It's a huge bummer when you spend so much time grinding and trying to evolve a Pokemon when their stats basically remain unchanged. I think one of the biggest attractions to the Mystery Dungeon series is evolving your Pokemon after pouring in hard work leveling them up after grinding them in dungeons that are several floors long and seeing that it's pointless to do so is kind of a letdown.

I feel the game more or less makes up for this by making legendaries kind of easier to get, but legendaries were never really that difficult to get in the first place in the Mystery Dungeon series. In fact, I'd argue that the method of getting legendaries remains virtually unchanged: you challenge them, and if you defeat them, they join your team. There are certain legendaries that automatically join your team though I believe, which is why I said they've probably made this aspect easier, although this rings true for past Mystery Dungeon titles, as well.

All in all, you have some valid concerns! I only disagree with the grinding between story missions, but maybe that's just me. The lack of grinding between story missions essentially meant that you couldn't be too overleveled; if you really wanted to grind, you could do it within the story dungeons themselves within the time limit that the game provides you within that dungeon. However, I personally think a lot of the fun of the story in PMD comes from the tense moments where you're similar in strength to the boss that you're facing and it's pretty much a do-or-die moment. This even rung true in PMD Sky due to Primal Dialga; you could only grind so much but at the end of the day you're still a pre-evolution and Dialga is going to wreck your **** if you aren't careful.

Besides, Super PMD made you overpowered as hell with Looplets and Alliance Attacks so grinding for the sake of becoming stronger doesn't seem to be as important because all you need is the right Looplets with Emeras attached and you'd be set.
I just realized that the
Spoiler:
defeated me five times before I finally defeated it, and that I had totally forgotten about Alliance attacks during that battle. {D:}

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I didn't buy the game after learning how difficult the games are. They are a disappointment to the mystery dungeon series.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Super Mystery Dungeon was fun, but the fact that you couldn't level grind between story missions and the horrible EXP system left me way more frustrated with the game than having fun with it.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
The moment I saw how recruiting worked, I went back to the store and cashed it in for credits. Just like the Pokédex in the main series, recruiting every Pokémon by grinding by myself was the most fun thing to do in the series. I really liked going up some harsh dungeon to try and recruit legendaries, especially since it was not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Back