Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén

TrollandToad.com

Old April 5th, 2017 (6:40 AM).
Like a rhythm to the sea
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
This should be an interesting discussion, hopefully!

So, look at where we're at now. Gen VII, right? SM have been out for roughly a good couple of months, and people are already more than excited at the prospect of a DPPt remake. The chance to explore Sinnoh again for the first time in 11 or so years is getting fans pretty antsy, and you don't have to look very hard to see why, given how popular Platinum was.

But after Gen IV remakes, what's next? Do you think Unova remakes would be necessary? But after Unova, would we have to explore Kalos, as well?

I dunno. Personally speaking, I feel that after DPPt remakes, Game Freak should focus more on the development of new, original regions instead of sending players down memory lane. It's something that's nice in theory, but I feel like we're going to be stuck in this loop where we're going to visit x past region everytime a new generation releases (Gen V was the exception to this, really).

I'd much rather look forward to what else is out there to explore in the Pokemon world! There's a sense of adventure of always exploring an unknown and foreign land, as compared to older regions where you most likely would know the region inside and out. Don't get me wrong, I love playing through remakes (HGSS are my favourite remakes, after all)! I just think Game Freak should probably give it a break after Gen IV remakes (or maybe Gen V? I dunno).

I dunno, what do you guys think? Do you think we'll be stuck in this cycle where we'd have to visit x past region every generation (or every other generation)?

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 5th, 2017 (7:04 AM).
Aaron is that weirdo with 5 colours in her hair
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant
I totally agree, I think Game Freak could get away with eventually remaking Black and White but anything after that would just feel weird. Personally, I'd like to see new stories and adventures in the older regions, instead of just remaking the games, that way, we get new areas and not just the same old game - although I too do love the remakes. So I think that Black and White might well be the last remakes the Pokemon series sees for some time, and any visits to the older regions will perhaps be incorporated into future games (yes I'm still dreaming of two regions in one game) or simply a new adventure.
Old April 5th, 2017 (7:11 AM).
プラズマ
  • PokéCommunity Daily
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
I don't think BW should get remakes, they just feel too new for that. For some reason I can't let go of feeling that BW is the current generation, due to the changes BW brought. DP should be the final remakes Game Freak makes, at least for a while.

I want to see more of new games, games like S/M. They broke the typical gym leader storyline, and it did very well. I'd like to see more change in newer Pokemon games.
Old April 5th, 2017 (8:20 AM).

Nature: Hardy
    I don't even want DP remakes. The fact that you can still play Gen IV on the current handhelds means that there is zero need for a remake. Of course there's the reason of making cash, but I'd find it very redundant to make a remake of a game that's still accessible to many. Like BW still feels new to some of you guys, DP still feels new to me.

GameFreak should hire a good storywriter or two and look into re-exploring the regions we already visited in the next installments. Maybe combine two regions and make something interesting out of that, I dunno. There's so much possibilities with seven (not even counting the spin-offs) regions and I think it's time GameFreak does that instead of accidentally letting the franchise bleed out because they recycled it too much. That's seriously what I fear will happen someday and I absolutely do not want that.

So I don't want any remakes until the next handheld but instead new kinds of games. More story-driven, or years into the future (or past!). There's so much to explore and it's unfortunate only hacks have been doing that so far. I just love this series so much and I've been dying for more canon worldbuilding and storytelling for ages. I am still very much into the idea of a new Kanto adventure following the events of Sun and Moon. It's also the perfect way to get older fans back I bet.
    Old April 5th, 2017 (9:09 AM).
    プラズマ
    • PokéCommunity Daily
    • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlazingCobaltX View Post
    I don't even want DP remakes. The fact that you can still play Gen IV on the current handhelds means that there is zero need for a remake. Of course there's the reason of making cash, but I'd find it very redundant to make a remake of a game that's still accessible to many. Like BW still feels new to some of you guys, DP still feels new to me.

GameFreak should hire a good storywriter or two and look into re-exploring the regions we already visited in the next installments. Maybe combine two regions and make something interesting out of that, I dunno. There's so much possibilities with seven (not even counting the spin-offs) regions and I think it's time GameFreak does that instead of accidentally letting the franchise bleed out because they recycled it too much. That's seriously what I fear will happen someday and I absolutely do not want that.

So I don't want any remakes until the next handheld but instead new kinds of games. More story-driven, or years into the future (or past!). There's so much to explore and it's unfortunate only hacks have been doing that so far. I just love this series so much and I've been dying for more canon worldbuilding and storytelling for ages. I am still very much into the idea of a new Kanto adventure following the events of Sun and Moon. It's also the perfect way to get older fans back I bet.
    I mean it was the same with Ruby and Sapphire. You can still send Pokemon from there all the way to the current generation. It's also still playable on the DS and GBA, which aren't too hard to obtain. (DP are also over 10 years old)

I think it's plausible to remake DP.
    Old April 5th, 2017 (11:31 AM).

Nature: Hardy
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
      I mean it was the same with Ruby and Sapphire. You can still send Pokemon from there all the way to the current generation. It's also still playable on the DS and GBA, which aren't too hard to obtain. (DP are also over 10 years old)

I think it's plausible to remake DP.
      Well, you can't play RSE on a 3DS, but you can still play DP on those. I meant accessible in that way.
      Old April 5th, 2017 (12:10 PM).
      • Crystal Tier

I think the future of remakes depends mostly on the future of Nintendo's handhelds, and how bloody minded they are with the Switch's Virtual Console. If there is a successor to the 3DS - and there should be - then you can practically guarantee there will be Pokemon remakes, maybe going back to the first generation again. Pokemon sells handhelds, and there will be a demand for remakes of previous generations...and they're a lot easier to do, I would imagine, than designing an entirely new region from the ground up.

That said, if Nintendo actually utilise the Switch's Virtual Console properly, we could see the end of remakes entirely - they could just make the DS titles available on that, and include Pokemon Bank support. This is something they should do regardless; it is not difficult, and would definitely generate sales. Given the Switch's sorry state right now, and the fact that it takes Nintendo a very long time to build up a library of games for their consoles, this would be a very smart thing to do.

...but of course, Nintendo is Nintendo, and Nintendo likes Pokemon remakes. They make money. They'll continue on with their current strategy of releasing both new games and remakes simply because they don't have any reason to change that practice. As long as the money keeps on coming in...and it will, no matter how many times a Pokemon title is remade.
      Old April 5th, 2017 (6:55 PM).
      Mudkip x Mudkip

Nature: Hasty
        Just put them all on the eshop already, and problem solved.
        Old April 5th, 2017 (7:50 PM).
        Like a rhythm to the sea
        • Platinum Tier

I'd argue that due to how rare it is to find any Gen IV game (unless you live near a local mom and pop video game shop that owns retro games), it would be nice for those games to be remade. You can still find Gen V games at GameStop and in most places so it's not really that old yet, but (in my case) finding any Gen IV games is nearly impossible. That could be a sign it's just (over)due for a remake at this point.

Old April 6th, 2017 (5:59 AM).
        Fairy-type Fanatic

I would really love a remake of D/P - It's one of my favourite gens. I was so happy when they remade ruby/sapphire and they did it so well. One of the features I genuinely really liked was the underground.
          Old April 6th, 2017 (6:10 AM).
          Random Vagabond

I prefer playing the original gen IV games in the virtual console than playing remakes. Maybe because I didn't play Gen IV too much. Anyway, someone must have said this before, but visiting older regions in new games, with new story, rather than in remakes would be much more interesting.
            More than this I want Gold & Silver downloadable for 3DS. Please, Nintendo!
            Old April 6th, 2017 (8:54 AM).
            mortigi tempo

Nature: Mild
              diamond was my first ever pokemon game so i'd love to see remakes for that even if it is like the rest with the same storyline etc. - it'd just be so nostalgic. b&w i see as a possibility but a kalos remake would be... weird? i've never owned or played X/Y but they still seem so new, to the point where i think another 1st gen remake for the 3ds would make more sense and excite me more.

i really hope that there isn't a move to switch because i only got a 3ds in november so i'm super behind and don't want to have to buy a new console so soon! but i guess that's my own doing haha. as long as it's for 3ds i doubt that i'll mind too much over what comes next - whether it be a completely new game or a remake. or maybe another repeat of b&w then b2&w2 where we stay in alola for a while, with maybe a couple extra islands as an 'expansion'. the whole idea of trials over gyms that was explored in s/m plus the fun of the alola region itself gives a good base for gamefreak to expand upon and i wouldn't mind another game based there.

icon art @ d-inchiostro on tumblr
              Old April 6th, 2017 (2:08 PM).
              problematic
              • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
              As long as we get Sinnoh remakes, I'm not too bothered what happens after that. Obviously, I still want new Pokémon games to be released, but as for remakes I only really care for Diamond & Pearl for the time being. Black & White would probably be better suited to a re-release in the eShop for whatever console is around at the time.
              Old April 6th, 2017 (2:13 PM).
              • Gold Tier

Quote:
              Originally Posted by colours View Post
              I'd argue that due to how rare it is to find any Gen IV game (unless you live near a local mom and pop video game shop that owns retro games), it would be nice for those games to be remade. You can still find Gen V games at GameStop and in most places so it's not really that old yet, but (in my case) finding any Gen IV games is nearly impossible. That could be a sign it's just (over)due for a remake at this point.
              Yeah that is a problem, like even the remakes of that generation in HGSS are really rare and expensive. I guess for some people who haven't been able to play through Sinnoh, it would be nice for Diamond and Pearl to be remade.
              Old April 6th, 2017 (3:47 PM).
              OJAMA DELTA HURRICANE
              • Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
              This is something I'd never given much thought to but wow this is a really interesting talking point!

Remakes are something that might have been my favourite things in the Pokémon franchise. RED AND BLUE ARE BEING REMADE FOR THE GBA? WOW!!! I was so hyped waiting for it to come out and boy was I gassed.
              Playing through Fire Red and Leaf Green are some of my fondest memories playing at all! HeartGold and SoulSilver too were probably the peak of Pokemon games. They both added great features like the Sevii Isles, which made for such a refreshing play, and the Pokémon following you in HGSS! After all the "Hoenn confurmd" jokes I was so overjoyed when ORAS was announced!

All that being said though when Gen 3 remakes came out and I actually played through the game I felt pretty damn underwhelmed. It was a good, fun game don't get me wrong but I just never thought it justified the hype. I think Hoenn was my favourite region, Ruby was the first fame I ever completed -
              I grinded my Swampert to Level 100, caught a shiny Duskull by the Safari Zone and freaked out when I seen Steven was the champ!

I would like to see how Sinnoh would look in updated graphics but after that then I think that they should take a break. I completely agree with the OP. More focus on new and original titles is something that would be the best for the series as whole.
              Old April 7th, 2017 (12:34 PM).
              Like a rhythm to the sea
              • Platinum Tier

Something to consider is whether or not retro Pokemon games really need a facelift for the sake of being updated to the current generation, or whether or not they're better as they are.

For example: would it be necessary to remake Kanto in the style of SM's graphics for the sake of updated mechanics and visuals? Or do you think Kanto would be better off remembered as it was in their original graphics as well as FRLG (if that means sense)?

Old April 7th, 2017 (12:56 PM).
              • Crystal Tier

I think you're overthinking a little bit. GF don't just randomly decide to create remakes. They create them, because there's a good portion of the fanbase that wants them. Back in gen 3 there were people who prefered the style of the gen 1 games, so they got a remake. Then after seeing GF remade gen 1, people started wanting their favorite gen 2 games remade. And given the popularity of the gen 3 games, as a hugh portion of players started with them, which went so far that hacking generation 3 ROMs became the common theme, it was only a matter of time until gen 3 got a remake.

Considering the popularity of gen 4, I suspect there being remakes in the future, but for any gen afterwards I'm not so sure about it. Afterall, opinions on anything gen 5 and onwards seem to be split. You either love the games, or you couldn't care less about them.

Old April 8th, 2017 (10:36 PM).
              Banned

Nature: Naughty
                IMO I don't think Gen 4 need a remake just yet. They're still pretty recent and I don't think a remaster into 3D graphics is going to do anything special. In saying that, I really love Gen 4 so I'd buy them and play the hell out of them so I'm not going to complain if we do get them.

Honestly though, what I would like to see is a Kanto remaster/remake/sequel. Now I hear what you're saying "Gen I has been done to death. Genwunner!! Gen 1 fan service" and yes I agree 100% in that aspect that Gen I has received so much fan service over the years it irritates me, but I'd really love to see a Kanto sequel (more than the postgame for Gen 2 was) to see how much Kanto has changed over the years.

When we last saw Kanto, Cinnabar island had blown up, some Johto Pokemon could only be found in Kanto (Slugma and Houndour iirc?), and that was only 2 years after Kanto in Gen 1. Imagine how different it would be after 20 years. I'm sure much more Pokemon would be living in the region, and I'm certain a lot of the dynamic and geography of the region would have changed drastically.

So I'd really love to see a Kanto sequel set years in the future just to see how much it has changed. I'm sure enough would have happened to make it feel like a fresh game and not just a cash out for fan service.
                Old April 9th, 2017 (2:30 PM).
                Just call me EC.
                • Gold Tier

Just thought of this. Next games take place in Kanto, and you are a new trainer there starting your journey at the same time as Lillie. Boom. Profit.
                Old April 9th, 2017 (11:25 PM).
                • Platinum Tier
                • PokéCommunity Daily
                • Discord Moderoid
                • Developer

Nature: Quirky
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by EvilChameleon View Post
                Just thought of this. Next games take place in Kanto, and you are a new trainer there starting your journey at the same time as Lillie. Boom. Profit.
                Meh... it would be interesting I suppose but I really disliked Lillie as a character. I'd play it of course, but I'd rather see a Kanto remake taking place at the same time as GSC (if at all - I don't really like Kanto much haha).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Gandhi Savage View Post
                This is something I'd never given much thought to but wow this is a really interesting talking point!

Remakes are something that might have been my favourite things in the Pokémon franchise. RED AND BLUE ARE BEING REMADE FOR THE GBA? WOW!!! I was so hyped waiting for it to come out and boy was I gassed.
                Playing through Fire Red and Leaf Green are some of my fondest memories playing at all! HeartGold and SoulSilver too were probably the peak of Pokemon games. They both added great features like the Sevii Isles, which made for such a refreshing play, and the Pokémon following you in HGSS! After all the "Hoenn confurmd" jokes I was so overjoyed when ORAS was announced!

All that being said though when Gen 3 remakes came out and I actually played through the game I felt pretty damn underwhelmed. It was a good, fun game don't get me wrong but I just never thought it justified the hype. I think Hoenn was my favourite region, Ruby was the first fame I ever completed -
                I grinded my Swampert to Level 100, caught a shiny Duskull by the Safari Zone and freaked out when I seen Steven was the champ!

I would like to see how Sinnoh would look in updated graphics but after that then I think that they should take a break. I completely agree with the OP. More focus on new and original titles is something that would be the best for the series as whole.
                I'm ambivalent about Sinnoh remakes - the games are good, but they didn't blow me away. I agree with you that after that Game Freak definitely needs a break for a few generations - they're actually going to catch up to the current games and need to remake them soon if they continue at this pace. I mean, B/W/2 are next after DPPt and Gen 5 is wayyyyyy too recent, I think we can all agree on that.
                Old April 11th, 2017 (8:30 AM).
                • Gold Tier

Quote:
                Originally Posted by EvilChameleon View Post
                Kanto's been done loads of times and although I would certainly buy these games and enjoy them, I feel like just going to Kanto at this moment in time would be weird seeing as we've just been given a brand new region in Alola and I don't see them dismissing it as quickly as they did Kalos. Revisiting Kanto is definitely something for the future imo. I still think we'll get DP remakes after the next games.
                Old April 11th, 2017 (5:42 PM).
                Unprofessional Unprofessional

I think having Sinnoh remakes while being possible to play the originals on 3ds is a bit weird. I also think Kanto remakes won't be coming given that the originals are on the E-shop. If they do release a Kanto re-remake, it'd have to be a sequel or the plot would have to be completely revamped because imo, the Kanto games are some of the most boring of the main series.
                  Living Pokedex Complete: LG, E, Pl, B, B2, Y, OR, M
                  Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
                  Old April 17th, 2017 (4:19 PM).
                  i changed (it)
                  • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
                  I'm kinda of at the opposite side of the spectrum with this argument. The thing with Sinnoh remakes, there is so much room for expansion GF can do w/o creating a whole new region to bring more expansion with their franchise.
                  I personally think its foolish for GF to start up a whole new region, having an Alola sequel would be wayyyyy better than a whole new region because it leaves Alola on this weird cliffhanger no matter how great of a gen alola is. Plus, it would give this rush with the franchise which will personally hurt it because if GF didn't create ORAS, it wouldn't give players room to adjust to all the new features and Pokémon XY brought to the table. If a new generation is introduced, there is simply no space to get used to all of SM's new Pokémon and mechanics. No matter how many times one will replay SM its just not enough to simply go head-on and move onto a new generation.
                  SM mythology & Ultra Beasts were very lacking in the SM gen and need some sort of polish before continuing into new generations otherwise they'll still carry that confusing sigma. Creating a whole new generation and still have to include closure of SM's mythology+Ultra Beasts is just not smart, it'll make the new generation too reliant of SM and just hold it back overall. Thats why they need some sort of filler.

Moving onto Sinnoh remakes, if GF does decide to create these remakes, I personally see it being so beneficial to the franchise. GF just doesn't kill two birds with one stone, but THREE. Not only they give players room to adjust to everything introduced in SM, they create Sinnoh remakes which does have a demand, and continue & give closure to the SM storyline. Sinnoh is the best region to play off the SM mythology/Ultra Beasts, besides Alola of course, from already having arcs that involve alternate universes/dimensions and space. Yes, GF can always make an Alola sequel but a jam-packed Sinnoh remake is just too-good to pass up imo.
                  Old April 24th, 2017 (3:06 PM).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Kanto hasn't really been "pandered to" as much as fans think it has. The region itself hasn't even appeared in a game since Gen 4 (HGSS), and it's been even longer since it was the primary focus of a game (FRLG). And, outside of Sabrina in B2W2 (Pokéstar Studios) and Red/Blue in SM (Battle Tree), none of the regions' characters have ever appeared in other games either. (No, I don't count the PWT.)

Yeah, XY had a bunch of cheap, throwaway references and allusions to RBY, but at the end of the day, the games were still set in a completely different region with zero connections to Kanto. None of the Kanto characters were even in the games, and XY's plot had no connection or relevance to that of RBY/GSC.

Much of the same is also true for SM, although those games at least put a little more effort into actually connecting themselves to Kanto (ie. protagonist moving from there, Lillie going there, Samson Oak, Red/Blue at the Battle Tree).

And, let's not pretend that younger fans aren't being pandered to, either. Does anyone really think that GF keeps shoving Looker and Cynthia into every game for the sake of Gen 1/2 fans? Or, that the random, out-of-nowhere appearances of characters like Anabel, Colress, Grimsley, and Burnet in SM was "pandering" to old fans? Or, Alola's Pokédex being based off of a Gen 4 Pokémon?

And, let's also not forget that much of Gen 6 was spent remaking and promoting HOENN rather than Kanto or Johto. And, ORAS very arguably overshadowed XY in ways that FRLG never did RSE or HGSS did DPP. So much for GF ignoring the post-Pokémania gens, huh? In fact, I'd argue that Hoenn has been treated far better than Johto has. (At least, Hoenn got Battle Tree cameos. And, its remakes got more than a year in the spotlight before the next gen came out.)

For the record, I'm not fond of making any more remakes (just re-release the old games instead) and would rather see GF do new things with past regions. I'd love to see new sequels set in Kanto and Johto.
                    Old April 27th, 2017 (11:57 PM).
                    This is a castle...but it's not Roy's one!
                    • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Modest
                    That's the thing. There are quite a few people clamouring for D/P remakes during this generation, but think about it - remakes are usually made when it's impossible to play the original game on current systems - OR/AS were made because of the loss of the GBA slot on newer DS models and FR/LG were made due to no backwards compatibility for example, especially considering some people traded in their older DS Phats/DS Lites thus locking them off from Hoenn. I never really understood why people were asking for R/S remakes in Gen V when you could still play the originals on the DS, and it should also be mentioned that the leap from GBA to DS isn't as grand.

Also, despite the fact that it's been out for 10 years, it's still pretty modern and playable on the 3DS, so I see no point in them doing a remake during this generation. If anything, they're probably going to put it on the Switch along with the rumoured Pokemon Stars (if it happens).

GTXV egg swap winner
                    3DS FC: 5301-2379-3187

IGNs: X: Bowser | AS: Bowser | Moon: Link

My Friend Safari is Water and it contains Octillery, Frogadier and Wartortle.

Watch me on the YouTubes!

Quick Reply