Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén

Draconius GO
View Poll Results: Which main series visual style do you prefer?
2D / Traditional - Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3 1 4.17%
2D/3D Mix - Gen 4, Gen 5 11 45.83%
Chibi 3D - Gen 6 6 25.00%
Detailed 3D - Gen 7 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10th, 2017 (5:05 PM). Edited September 10th, 2017 by Safebox.

Nature: Timid

Credit: ClickSelekt

The leap to a main series 3D game was a long journey, with the first attempts (Diamond and Pearl) dividing critics with the CEO of the Pokemon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, saying the mix of 2D sprites and 3D environment was to "maintain the original idea of Pokémon being a game that you played on this big map". The games eventually got full 3D graphics (X and Y) but to me they lost their nice chibi aesthetic with Sun and Moon.

So, my question is this; what is your favourite style and why?

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 10th, 2017 (10:02 PM). Edited September 10th, 2017 by BugTypeAficionado.
    Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!

Nature: Modest
      I remember when Pokemon was announced to be making the big leap from 2D to 3D, I was kinda unsure. I think the chibi-style of overworld works to some degree, but sometimes in cutscenes, especially when the camera is close to overworld models, it loses its charm and looks unappealing to me. For some reason, this was an even bigger problem in ORAS than in XY, the latter of which didn't bother me much with the art style.

I think the more fleshed out and reasonably proportioned Gen 7 art style is a step in the right direction, but if you were to ask me? I would love to see a new Pokemon game using an HD version of Gen 5 graphics, with a mix of 2D and 3D. It has it's own kind of charm that I unfortunately don't think we'll see again, at least for a long time.
      Old September 11th, 2017 (5:03 AM).

Nature: Serious
        I suppose I lean to a mix or chibi 3D. From Dawn to Serena you have attractively designed sprites and a reasonable amount of detail, yet still a stylization that is appropriate to a cartoon. Gen 7 however I am still getting accustomed to, its easier for me right now to take a step back and play a game from gen 3. When I see those long, toned legs jogging into a poke center in Sun and Moon I feel like I've stumbled into another, more mature game series. I don't need it to be perfect and look like a painting ^_^
        Old September 11th, 2017 (6:59 AM).
        Just call me EC.
        • Gold Tier

I will forever choose the Gen 1-5 style until they make the 3D Pokemon sprites colorful, like they used to be in the 2D games.
        Old September 11th, 2017 (7:23 AM).
        Fabulous

Nature: Hardy
          I remain a fan of both traditional 2D and the 2.5D of Gens IV and V. I'm particularly fond of FRLG and HGSS's styles.
          Old September 11th, 2017 (12:56 PM).
          problematic
          • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
          Gen 4/5 with the 2D/3D mixed graphics were and still remain as my favourite style.
          Old September 11th, 2017 (1:32 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Safebox View Post

Credit: ClickSelekt

The leap to a main series 3D game was a long journey, with the first attempts (Diamond and Pearl) dividing critics with the CEO of the Pokemon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, saying the mix of 2D sprites and 3D environment was to "maintain the original idea of Pokémon being a game that you played on this big map". The games eventually got full 3D graphics (X and Y) but to me they lost their nice chibi aesthetic with Sun and Moon.

So, my question is this; what is your favourite style and why?
            Its an awesome thread, thankyou for opening it.
            I really like gen 6 sprites
            Old September 11th, 2017 (1:50 PM). Edited September 11th, 2017 by Radiating.
            • PokéCommunity Daily
            • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
            I liked the 2d/3d graphics that were used in Gen 4/5 the most. The classic Gen 1/2 graphics aren't too far behind, I enjoy their simplicity.
            Old September 11th, 2017 (2:08 PM).
            Like a rhythm to the sea
            • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
            I've said it before and I'll say it again: 3D models appeal more to me, so I'm sticking with Gen VII.

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Old September 11th, 2017 (4:33 PM).
            • Platinum Tier
            • PokéCommunity Daily
            • Discord Moderoid
            • Developer

Nature: Quirky
            Both the full 2D graphics and the semi-3D models of Gen 4 and 5 appeal to me a lot more than what we have going on at the moment. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see them again in a Main Series game.
            Old September 12th, 2017 (5:52 AM).
            • Crystal Tier

The 2D sprites have far more personality than the washed-out plasticine rubbish 3D models, and I think they hit their highest point in Gen IV. Gen V was a step backwards in terms of sprites, but did have some lovely background visuals nonetheless. Gen VI and VII just look like garbage to be honest.
            Old September 12th, 2017 (6:02 AM).

Wow, the results so far are not what I was expecting. I thought more people would be fond of the traditional 2D sprites over the 2D / 3D mix.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
              The 2D sprites have far more personality than the washed-out plasticine rubbish 3D models, and I think they hit their highest point in Gen IV. Gen V was a step backwards in terms of sprites, but did have some lovely background visuals nonetheless. Gen VI and VII just look like garbage to be honest.
              Honestly, I agree to some extent. To me the Gen 7 models look too realistic, while the Gen 6 models look like action figures or toys with the Hoenn and Kalos regions feeling like playsets. But that's why I like it, it makes me feel like a kid again.
              Old September 12th, 2017 (10:35 AM).
              • Platinum Tier
              • PokéCommunity Daily
              • Discord Moderoid
              • Developer

Nature: Quirky
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Safebox View Post
              Wow, the results so far are not what I was expecting. I thought more people would be fond of the traditional 2D sprites over the 2D / 3D mix.
              Those would definitely be my second favorite and I like them a lot better than our full 3D -- however I'd say that Gens 4 and 5 pulled off a semi-3D look really well while not abandoning the original graphical style, so I like them a bit better than purely sprite-based graphics.
              Old September 12th, 2017 (4:27 PM).

I'm gonna be honest, I stopped playing pokémon after emerald.
                And the style of X/Y is what got me back into the games.
                Going back now after playing in that style so much just feels weird for me now XD
                Old September 13th, 2017 (6:38 PM).
                Show me that Fighting Spirit
                • Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                Gen V's graphics were so amazing when it came out. That camera movement on the first bridge (Skyarrow i think), was breathtaking.

Gen 7 is a close second though as the company has begun to figure out how to use 3D graphics. Gen 8 should be great graphics-wise
                Old September 14th, 2017 (8:57 PM). Edited September 14th, 2017 by Veil Loreraven.
                Ghost Master

Gen VI had the best Graphics by far. Fully 3D, Chibi anime characters. I was really upset when I saw the detailed characters from GVII. Terrible graphics, and the main character has a permanent Glazed Apathy look the entire game.

2D models are impossible to look at anymore. They have Zero personality. Zero emotions, zero cut scenes or enhanced story telling capabilities. You cannot buy clothing for them, even if you did it would be nothing more than a recolor. Is one of them moving an arm? Looking in another direction? Is that NPC character terrified?, Sad?, Horny? Happy? angry? Show me once instance of being able to know how a character is feeling atm during any pre VI game. Show me one! You can't, because its just a blop of color that vaugly resembles something that might be a person with blips that only make it "look like" that character has feet that is moving it forward.
                  Old September 14th, 2017 (9:22 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Veil Loreraven View Post
                    Gen VI had the best Graphics by far. Fully 3D, Chibi anime characters. I was really upset when I saw the detailed characters from GVII. Terrible graphics, and the main character has a permanent Glazed Apathy look the entire game.

2D models are impossible to look at anymore. They have Zero personality. Zero emotions, zero cut scenes or enhanced story telling capabilities. You cannot buy clothing for them, even if you did it would be nothing more than a recolor. Is one of them moving an arm? Looking in another direction? Is that NPC character terrified?, Sad?, Horny? Happy? angry? Show me once instance of being able to know how a character is feeling atm during any pre VI game. Show me one! You can't, because its just a blop of color that vaugly resembles something that might be a person with blips that only make it "look like" that character has feet that is moving it forward.
                    I wouldn't say the 2D sprites had no feeling. I've only played Emerald from the 2D generations so I don't have a great example to speak from but the dialogue usually took over in expressing how a character was feeling. Silver from G/S/HG/SS was an egotist who sought out powerful Pokemon then felt remorse when he realised they needed to be treated with care.

It's never outright said how he's feeling but you can gather it from the little tidbits of information scattered in the dialogue. I do however agree that VI is far more expressive especially for the player. The player from Gen VII seemed somewhat like a sociopath who might kill you in your sleep without warning.

Quick Reply