• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The Ruins of Alph Puzzles

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Can anyone tell how to implement it?
When I type that code in cmd in root folder, shows error,
Here is what I did:
Copied my rom in root, then copied 3 files from bin folder of gnumake, then open cmd here, and typed the following:
make bpre fname="test" offset=800000
My rom name was test, obviously...
You're meant to use devkitPro and its toolkit in order to build this. Also, you need to also give the file extension in the fname parameter.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
I copied 3 files from bin folder of GnuMake and pasted them in repo, created a new empty folder called build, shift+right click and open cmd here, typed make and enter...
Giving error,

Actually sharing error screenshot can be really helpful to help you out ;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
I copied 3 files from bin folder of GnuMake and pasted them in repo, created a new empty folder called build, shift+right click and open cmd here, typed make and enter...
Giving error,

Have you paid attention in Diego's thread? It's not a simple "make":
Code:
make (ROM code) fname="(ROM name.gba)" offset=(free space offset)
Example:
Code:
make bpre fname="BPRE0.gba" offset=0x9E0000

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
Do we have to edit linker.sc?

I don't know because I never tried to compile it, but I will take a look when I get a chance.

Spoiler:

It will only show one picture? If I want to make all pictures from GSC I need to compile it many times? If the puzzle is solved, there is a flag/var that checks it for future uses?

Sierraffinity

Years
Giving error,
Why are you copying anything from GnuMake? Either the devkitPro tools should already be in your PATH or you should be executing this from within the environment installed by devkitPro (called msys). You also shouldn't be creating a build folder, you should be executing this inside the root of the repo.
It will only show one picture? If I want to make all pictures from GSC I need to compile it many times? If the puzzle is solved, there is a flag/var that checks it for future uses?
Just realized I left out some important parts to the actual in-game script from the instructions. I've added them in now, so check the first post in this thread for your answer.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
Just realized I left out some important parts to the actual in-game script from the instructions. I've added them in now, so check the first post in this thread for your answer.

Awesome (obviously ^^).

One thing, this source supports additional puzzles? (because I want to add puzzles for all Fossil Pokémon)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
If you want a hg/ss style graphics I created this

sJ9AcU4.png

now a question: after the callasm if I resolved the puzzle or not the script finish...

my script for fire red (U) 1.0

Code:
'---------------
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lockall
msgbox @mess1 0x6
setvar 0x8004 0x0
fadescreen 0x1
callasm 0x8A00001
waitstate
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @success
msgbox @mess3 0x6
releaseall
end

'---------------
#org @success
msgbox @mess2 0x6
releaseall
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org @mess1
= Wow! A puzzle!

#org @mess3
= Bad News...

#org @mess2
= Good Job!

The messages "Good Job!" and "Bad News" don't appear in any case...the script finish before...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
So to use that hgss style I just replace the file from folder?
Does it use same pallete?

If you want to use this new background you must re-edit the file in M_X-RuinsofAlph/img_bins/background.h with the byte of this background or you can change the pointer offset (tiles and map) after.
The palette is not the same, but I just index it.

Sierraffinity

Years
Gettin errors, diego.
I dropped my rom named BPRE0 in root, edited xxxxxx to 990000 in linker file, and in cmd typed
make bpre fname=BPRE0.gba offset=990000
Xactly tgat, sam cases as I typed above, no quotes too in fname...
Is that right?
You shouldn't need to edit the linker file at all; the whole point of the offset argument is that it automatically generates a proper linker file and inserts itself at that offset.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I'm having trouble compiling this. Every time I try, I get the error:
Spoiler:

Any suggestions of what I could be doing wrong?

Sierraffinity

Years
I'm having trouble compiling this. Every time I try, I get the error:
Spoiler:

Any suggestions of what I could be doing wrong?
That's really interesting.. You've installed devkitARM, right? And your Windows "Path" environment variable points to it too?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
That's really interesting.. You've installed devkitARM, right? And your Windows "Path" environment variable points to it too?
Yup. I installed msys also and was able to get the error down to this:
Spoiler:

How do I get the compiler to recognize the command "sed"?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Your Path does not have Devkiarm there, also GNUmake bin fodler.
They do. Both my user variables and environment variables have a path to the DevkitARM bin folder, the GNUmake bin folder, and the msys bin folder.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
having some trouble trying to change the images used in compilation. i tried to rasterize the new background in grit, but whenever i go to test it ingame the background is completely black.

https://pastebin.com/4eqkNb18 this is the output file i'm using

background.png

this is the image of the background

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2021
I need an help with this
Spoiler:
i use Windows Google is todays now useless search it and i sorry if this an old Thread.

Back