• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

Gale Of Darkness

Shadow Lugia
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
Best strater is from my point of veiw is epic snive.

I love the moe leaf tornado because it is so epic strong and it is really quick with high defense.

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Oshawott , It is much stable stats than the other two and it's final form Samurott can destroy both Emboar and Serperior .

That's funny because I'll just Leaf Storm and KO.

Snivy. Best design, best starter.

Hawk.

The Hawist
Years
  • Age 29
  • PA
  • Seen May 19, 2016
I think Oshawott, it's movepool as a Samurott is just better than the rest.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
Tepig has the typing advantage throughout the game, both in terms of being the only multitype starter in 5th gen and having a pretty solid movepool. He still loses major points for having a very unoriginal type combo for a starter.

Snivy has some potential locked away in his dream world self, and aside from his excellent speed he falls very flat when it comes to good moves, offense, typing and type disadvantages.

Oshawatt personally disappointed me because he's the first starter to start out bipedal and end up on all fours in the end. It's just really weird. Otherwise his stats are not very good. He's slow and his attack is okay, but he doesn't last long. Also with his aesthetic he leaves some dual-typing to be desired.

I picked Oshawatt mainly because I think it's cute, and really didn't evolve it into Samurott until I thought it was necessary in order to beat the elite 4. They're not the best starters ever, by any means. I guess personally Emboar is the most usable, with DW Serperior following, and Samurott at dead last.

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
Tepig's dual-typing helps a lot. Snivy's lack of offense hurts (or doesn't) and Oshawott's movepool is shallow.

Tepig is very well-rounded.

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2012
Tepig. dual-type = larger movepool. tho i liked snivy more , wise design :p

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2011
I think Oshawott, since Snivy isn't great and while Tepig is good, there are a lot of other fire and fighting types which are good in the game as opposed to water.

Mentalii

Back
Years
I think Oshawott is the best starter, and I chose it. Well, I usually pick the water type, and I think it's not the best water starter ever, but I think Snivy and Tepig are weak enough... The Grass Type isn't really practical and Tepig's last evolution is SLOW !
So, between the three, I prefer Oshawott. Besides, even if I know that's not an argument, it's cute :D

Spidey

Whovian.
Years
I think Oshawott is the best starter, and I chose it. Well, I usually pick the water type, and I think it's not the best water starter ever, but I think Snivy and Tepig are weak enough... The Grass Type isn't really practical and Tepig's last evolution is SLOW !
So, between the three, I prefer Oshawott. Besides, even if I know that's not an argument, it's cute :D

I absolutely agree with you on every aspect, including the 'cute argument'. xD

Years
I traded all three onto my white, and Emboar and Samurott are by far better than the others, and the only other pokemon I have that matches their ability is Darmanitan. But Snivy looks awesome but doesn't make up for it in battle. Sorry Smugleaf :'(

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
I like Oshawott the best because of Razor Shell, and I really like the Water Starters.

I picked Oshawott in my playthrough.

Years
Oshawott wins hands down because he's cute, has cool butt-kicking evos and a great movepool. Plus, I love Water starters the best.

Back