• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
I kind of expected that. Well, i guess i won't really miss catching rattata or other useless pokemon. thanks for replying so fast and sorry for bad english

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2012
Hey I really wanna try this, but when I patch the .ips on a clean firered (u) rom, it's size changes from 16mb to 16.06mb and it is unplayable. I'm a complete noob, so can u tell me if this is normal? I had applied a few other .ips patches to a few other games but the rom size had always remained the same.

And best of luck for this extraordinary project.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Hey I really wanna try this, but when I patch the .ips on a clean firered (u) rom, it's size changes from 16mb to 16.06mb and it is unplayable. I'm a complete noob, so can u tell me if this is normal? I had applied a few other .ips patches to a few other games but the rom size had always remained the same.

And best of luck for this extraordinary project.

I believe you have to resize the rom to 32mb first, the only way I know how to do this is with the feature in XSE.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
You don't need to do any such thing. The entire patch fits into the 16 megabyte ROM. What patcher are you using? You should be using Lunar IPS. That has certainly never happened to me when testing the patch. Also - Electricity is overrated...

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2012
Edit: My problem's solved. All the while it was the .rar extracting tool I was using.

The patch works great. Very good job! Can't wait to see it after the movesets and other missing data are filled!

Last edited:

P0kemon Trainer Red

Dragon Type User
Years
Nevermind, Jambo

Wow. Amazing. Mind-glowingly spectacular. And yes, I said glowingly. My mind started glowing. xD Oh but Jambo I sent you a message on YouTube a few hours ago(mrbeaver47). Disregard it. That was before I found this. I can't wait until this is up and running so I can use it as a hack base. For now I will deal with 25 extra Pokemon. Is Lu-Ho still active? I wonder if he would update A map. Is there any way someone else could?

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Whoa! This is incredible! If u can really programme all the new moves and abilities I'd be super impressed!

But tell me one thing, is the implementation of the physical/special split complete? Because in my patched ROM it doesn't seem to be working. I've tested a few attacks, for instance Pursuit is still special. I also didn't find the physical/special indicator images like the ones now in LC. I was actually a little surprised at this as I'm pretty sure I saw you take part in a discussion about the split and the indicators (and I assumed that had been the source of this feature).

I don't want to sound bossy or demanding though. Just take your time and keep at it. I'll be really looking forward to it.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Wow. Amazing. Mind-glowingly spectacular. And yes, I said glowingly. My mind started glowing. xD Oh but Jambo I sent you a message on YouTube a few hours ago(mrbeaver47). Disregard it. That was before I found this. I can't wait until this is up and running so I can use it as a hack base. For now I will deal with 25 extra Pokemon. Is Lu-Ho still active? I wonder if he would update A map. Is there any way someone else could?

Thanks, and you're welcome.

Whoa! This is incredible! If u can really programme all the new moves and abilities I'd be super impressed!

But tell me one thing, is the implementation of the physical/special split complete? Because in my patched ROM it doesn't seem to be working. I've tested a few attacks, for instance Pursuit is still special. I also didn't find the physical/special indicator images like the ones now in LC. I was actually a little surprised at this as I'm pretty sure I saw you take part in a discussion about the split and the indicators (and I assumed that had been the source of this feature).

I don't want to sound bossy or demanding though. Just take your time and keep at it. I'll be really looking forward to it.

This patch was posted some time before that whole discussion took place. It has been fixed/added now! :)

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
So, did u upload the fixed patch? I mean the 1 in the 1st page, is it the fixed one?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
So, did u upload the fixed patch? I mean the 1 in the 1st page, is it the fixed one?

No. Alpha 3 will contain all the fixed stuff, as well as some new stuff.

And now a friendly warning to all who are using/thinking about using this patch right now.

Remember, no developing hacks based on this patch yet!
There's a reason I still call it an ALPHA.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I'm not gonna promise a date because I don't want the patch to be rushed towards the end like LC was. Don't get me wrong, LC turned out great, but the main release is buggy as hell, so most people are advised to skip straight to the Live Beta. This is all because Link was still adding features and fixing other bugs right up to release time. He didn't have adequate testing time.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Umm.
Why do the keep using transform?
Where an I find unovian and sinno Pokémon?

Because I haven't inserted the movesets yet, and I was using Transform to try to work out how I could made the formes work.

The Unova and Sinnoh Pokémon have been added to the game, but they aren't found anywhere. This isn't a "standard" hack. It's just a ROM base for other people to make hacks on top of. If you want to see the Sinnoh/Unova Pokémon, there's 2 ways you can go about it.
1) Hex edit the wild data so that they appear in the wild.
2) Fill out the Pokédex using the Memory Viewer function of VBA. (To do this, Click Tools -> Memory Viewer... Then when it's opened, go to 0203E000 and then fill out the next 164 bytes with 0xFFs. This will make the Pokédex fill out all the seen and caught data.)

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Thanks!
I'm not good with a hex editter, because Hex workshop isn't compatible with my screen reader.
The memory viewer may be easier though.

Well, actually visual boy memory viewer isn't compatible.
In adition, when I press tab for the next item on the screen while on one of the custom controls vba crashes.
I don't suppose you could send me a sav file with the complete Pokédex could you?
I understand if not.

Last edited:

P0kemon Trainer Red

Dragon Type User
Years
Please pm me the answer to this

What is a .rar file? How do I use it? Is it a patch? Like an .ips? How do I apply it? Please pm me the answer, as I might not be able to check this thread later.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Thanks!
I'm not good with a hex editter, because Hex workshop isn't compatible with my screen reader.
The memory viewer may be easier though.

Well, actually visual boy memory viewer isn't compatible.
In adition, when I press tab for the next item on the screen while on one of the custom controls vba crashes.
I don't suppose you could send me a sav file with the complete Pokédex could you?
I understand if not.

I'll PM you a link to a save file which has a completed Pokédex then.
Hopefully that'll help you out. :)

@ Luigi-San
Thanks for explaining how RAR files work for me :)

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Hey Jambo51, can you also give me one of those save files with completed Pokedex, preferably in 128kb format? I was hex editing my save states to change the species of some of my PC Pokemon to see the new Pokemon, but it's quite a hassle with XOR and everything. A completed Pokedex would be really useful.

Edit- Thanks :) !

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2016
But...

But can someone plz explain how to use this patch completely. I m trying this for last 1 month,but... Can anyone provide a tutorial guide plz plz plz. Or atleast tell how to add all 649 poks to my gba rom and also if someone can send me sav file with the hacked pokedex plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back