The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
Quick Advance Map question

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Old March 3rd, 2018 (6:32 AM).

To add wild Pokemon to a map that has no wild Pokemon originally, how would I do this? I think last time I did something like this I ended up corrupting the map so now I ask.

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 3rd, 2018 (8:03 AM). Edited March 3rd, 2018 by Squeetz.
    Music hacker

Nature: Quiet
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
    To add wild Pokemon to a map that has no wild Pokemon originally, how would I do this? I think last time I did something like this I ended up corrupting the map so now I ask.
    Clicking this button then choosing what kind of wild Pokémon you want should be sufficient.
    Old March 3rd, 2018 (9:06 AM).

Ok thanks so it really is that easy. Well I might as well ask if anyone knows what causes this error:
      RROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value %6010600 is not a Pointer!

I get this error now on a few maps, and this is after I have made a lot of maps and connections to put them together and such. I'm not sure exactly what causes this bug but I think for my next hack I will do very few connections and try to just use warps to move around the map, maybe that way I won't get corrutped maps -.-
      Old March 3rd, 2018 (11:12 AM).
      recovering lurker

Nature: Jolly
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
        Ok thanks so it really is that easy. Well I might as well ask if anyone knows what causes this error:
        RROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value %6010600 is not a Pointer!

I get this error now on a few maps, and this is after I have made a lot of maps and connections to put them together and such. I'm not sure exactly what causes this bug but I think for my next hack I will do very few connections and try to just use warps to move around the map, maybe that way I won't get corrutped maps -.-
        A typical sight in AdvanceMap, and could be caused by any number of things. This is the most foolproof method I've found for isolating and fixing errors like these (though takes a bit of time): https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336092#.
        Old March 3rd, 2018 (4:44 PM). Edited March 3rd, 2018 by Sky0fBlades.

Nature: Mild
          I have encountered similar glitches as you describe in A-Map 1.92 while hacking Emerald version. It appears that even after applying my Emerald Stabilization/0xFF patch, A-Map insists on overwriting music data higher up in the ROM (around the 0x6DXXXX area IIRC).

Since you don't mention which ROM you are hacking, I'll just assume it is Emerald. The solution I have found to this is to use A-Map 1.95 specifically when adding new Wild Pokémon data to a map. I think you'll also have to edit the program's main .INI file to search out the correct space if you are using Emerald, from 0x9C0B20 and onward (except a few parts which I mention in my tutorial). After doing this, I have not encountered any more glitches when inserting new Wild Pokémon data.

Now if you are hacking FireRed, Ruby, etc., I'm not sure what to tell you besides give A-Map 1.95 a try. Just don't use it for everything, as it seems to be quite buggy compared to 1.92. It's just that when it comes to creating new Wild data and Tilesets, it is the best choice in my experience. Good luck.

My YouTube Channel
          My AdventureQuest/BattleOn character

My Tutorials:
          Stabilizing Pokemon Emerald (Preventing Corruption)
          [Emerald] Controlling Trainer Battle Music... Without ASM
          How to Fix the 64K Save 'White-Screen' in VBA Without Save-States

My ROM Hack:
          Old March 4th, 2018 (11:24 AM).

@Sky0fBlades

I am using 1.95, and on FireRed. I just got another glitch. This is on a fresh ROM, just a couple of days. It's a graphical glitch, the blue description bar that pops up when you're in the menu (Start), is all glitchy, you can't read the text. And all I did was change a few maps and put in a few scripts. Super annoying when you get hit with random bugs and you have no idea what caused them.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by colonelsalt View Post
            A typical sight in AdvanceMap, and could be caused by any number of things. This is the most foolproof method I've found for isolating and fixing errors like these (though takes a bit of time): https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336092#.
            Yeah, that's a very lengthy way of going about it, especially if you have to do it everytime you get a bug that you want to fix. But I might try it sometime.

Quick Reply