• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Different Player Choices, Different Events and Gyms?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 24, 2020
I notice that in a lot of Pokessentials games, the player character, no matter which is chosen will always start from the same point, as it is with regular old Pokemon games.

I have to wonder, is it possible to have different starting points and cutscenes based on your 'Are you a boy or a girl' choice? Both choices will mostly have the same scenes and story, with slivers of differences here and there.

In addition to this, I am also thinking of implementing the concept of different Gyms based on your choice of gender, where the 1st Gym's Gym Leader and followers will be completely different depending on which to choose.

I'm planning to do the same thing for the 8th Gym, except in this case, there are two seperate Gyms, and depending on which gender you pick, one will be closed for reasons and the other is the one you must challenge.

Just to play things safe, the split-path Gyms will give the same badge as opposed to different ones, since they'll occupy the same space on your Trainer card/Badge case.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah that's all definitely possible. If you look at the wiki page for the player you'll see that there's a variable that contains the gender that you can use in your events.

As for changing the starting town, I'm not exactly sure the best way to do that, I guess there's a change you could make to the auto-run script to do it, or if that's too tricky I bet you could change the warp event in the player's bedroom to take them to the appropriate "downstairs" map based on their gender. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on that one. :)

Years
Yeah, basically what was said above. If you'd want to change the starter town based on the gender you would have a conditional on the gender. If male transfer them to the starter town of the male. If female then transfer to the other. And anytime you want to make a change in anything (the gym trainers, the gym being closed, or a cutscene) or reference to their gender you'd just use that same conditional each time.

Years
Having different events/gyms would be possible to do and not that hard to manage because the gender choice already is safed in a variable (or if not could easily be). But you should keep in mind that, if you choose to change the general design of howl towns or routes you basically create 2 games in one. And most people will most likely keep to their gender choice and therefore will not see the other half. So it would be a good idea to mention there are differences depending on the gender so people might want to try and experience the replay value.

Back