• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen masuda method and soft reset mechanics

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am trying to breed a perfect 6IV shiny starter via masuda method. this is my understanding.
Please hear me out and right my wrongs.

Let say I want to get a shiny litten. I have a perfect 6IV ditto from JPN and my starter litten.
If I breed together, this is a masuda method. am i correct?

Once i get the eggs, do i have to get eggs as many as i can and hatch them til I got the shiny litten
or the soft reset works. If that is the case, when should i save to do the soft reset before getting the
egg or what?

Can anyone explain and enlighten me? How the masuda method and soft reset work together?

Best,

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Let say I want to get a shiny litten. I have a perfect 6IV ditto from JPN and my starter litten.
If I breed together, this is a masuda method. am i correct?
That is correct.

Specifics of soft-reseting I'm not 100% sure about, but I think that you have to save before the egg is generated in order to try.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 2, 2019
You can try, get an egg, walk untill close to hatch, save, hatch, check nature and stuff, reset, load, hatch again and check if it matches, check 4~5 times to make sure its not a coincidence. If the nature matches all times, you will have to save before getting the egg.

However, I think Nah is correct, because if you could save just before the hatch, would be too easy.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
It is not recommended to soft reset while hatching eggs because the egg is generated the moment you receive it, and while you are in the process of hatching it you will likely receive multiple more eggs. It's best to just hatch and keep or release what you get along the way until one hatches shiny.

Another thing to consider is that if you're trying for a 6IV, when you put the Destiny Knot on one of your parents, it takes 5 separate IVs from the parents at random. If your Ditto has 6IV, but your Litten has none, your offspring can come out with no perfect IVs. You're going to want to hatch all the eggs in the beginning anyway and keep replacing the Litten as you get them with more and more perfect IVs until both the Ditto and Litten have 6IVs. But even once that happens, because the Destiny Knot only passes down 5 IVs, your offspring is only guaranteed to have 5 perfect IVs; from there, it's a 1 in 32 chance of the final IV being generated as 31.

If you intend to Bottle Cap any imperfect IVs, it still consumes a lot more time to soft reset when hatching eggs; you just want to set up the Masuda Method with your parents and then hatch every egg you get.

Last edited:
Back