• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you describe your writing style?

Years
Please don't tell me I have to reiterate the title... oh, alright. Fine.

How would you describe your writing style? Clipped and snappy? Grand and winding? And who would you compare your style to, author wise?

Years
In a word, descriptive. I write a lot about what places and people look like and can be fairly elaborate when describing how character's feel. As a result of this, I use a lot of similes and metaphors and tend to go into a lot of detail setting the scene and describing thought processes while the actual events of the plot tend to be written a fair bit snappier by comparison.

As for any authors I'd say I'm similar to? The closest I can think of is Stephen King, which would make sense since as one of my favourite authors his writing has probably had a fair bit of inadvertent influence on mine. He is a very descriptive writer who illustrates the world and his characters down to the minute detail. Mind you, I wouldn't say that our writing is particularly similar beyond being very descriptive in nature, I don't set out to imitate the writing styles of others and I'm certainly not nearly as good.

Interestingly enough though, the one thing I did intentionally imitate was taken from the author of a webserial I really like. That being the format that Stairway to Heaven is written in where after a set number of chapters you get a change of perspective to characters other than the protagonist, often following events that, for the moment, seem divorced from his adventure.

Bay

Years
I think I'm more on the clipped and snappy side. I'll still try to be descriptive with the setting and such, but I prefer action, dialogue, and body language to tell a story.

When it comes to writing style, I think a mixture of Ernest Hemingway and Tim O' Brien. My sentences and description tends to be on the shorter side like Hemingway's, while for more intense scenes I try to have it similar like O' Brien's writing. Still though, I don't think my writing is near as good as theirs lol.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I'm... not sure. I've never really thought about what it might be, but I guess it tends to be more on the eccentric/unique side maybe? I don't know if I actually have a writing style that's like everyone else's or an author.

Years
Think Douglas Adams. Then imagine he met Alan Dean Foster and hit it off, but the whole friendship was destroyed because of his liking for Harper Lee. Then mangle the concoction, and you're right at my door.

I try to simplify and it isn't me. I over-complicate and it's messy. I'm looking for the balance, and every narrative leaves me closer to the destination. Practice, practice! Adults aren't annoying retards when they drill that into you. One should listen.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I'd describe my writing style as tailored to the mannerisms and speech of the main narrator. In certain fics, I might switch POV by leading up to the switch, then doing one of these maneuvers.

POV switch. And then this'in would be somethin' completely different, goin' by what ways this other character speaks.

So it depends on who's talking. Generally, I structure the story format very similarly regardless of the character voice, so I enjoy consistency as well. One character may have eloquent speech and know how to craft a flowing sentence. But then the other might just say whatever the hell and do what they want.

As for writers I'm most like... I don't know. I don't find myself similar to very many authors. I did write a story that was similar to Pickman's Model, but I don't think I write like H.P. Lovecraft.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
When writing prose, I like to make a novelesque approach. Here's an excerpt from a prompt:
Spoiler:

Usually, though, I'm more of a script than prose guy, and that's the kind of story that allows more breathing room for the plot, the characters, etc., to flourish. I kind of have a habit of obsessing over tiny details, like "how is this supposed to happen without making it so contrived?" or "did I make sure he's speaking the way he should?". For more serious projects, I'm a bit too pragmatic a writer, and only occasionally do I just write without that burden.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
Mm.. depending on what I'm writing about, I think it can be very choppy and all over the place. But once I edit it I think it turns out a lot better and more structured?

If it's a poem I tend to write freeform. If it's a one shot or chapter story I try to make it more structured and whatnot.

Back