Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old December 2nd, 2016 (10:51 AM).
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
I remember when ORAS was just across the corner, and people were expecting a more "Emerald"-esque experience. It makes sense after all; I think for a lot of people, Emerald more or less defined Gen III for them. With the addition of the Battle Frontier, a more polished storyline and better designed protagonists among other things, it's of no surprise that this was the experience that people expected. So it shocked a bunch of people (well, I guess me, mainly) when what they've got instead was a remake of RS with only a tiny bit of Emerald.

My question is: would you consider getting any possible DPPt remakes if they were remakes of DP and not Platinum?

we're living limitless

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 2nd, 2016 (11:13 AM).
뱅 뱅 뱅
  • Platinum Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Sassy
I would get them simply because they are gen 4 remakes. Although I do think that they'd be missing so much of the story if they decided to exclude it. I don't want some half-assed Delta Episode-esque type thing either because the way Giratina was incorporated into the Spear Pillar scene was really well done. I think it's more of them listening to fans and not fully sticking to the original games, but rather including ALL the games in the series.
Old December 2nd, 2016 (12:00 PM).
  • Platinum Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodrift View Post
I would get them simply because they are gen 4 remakes. Although I do think that they'd be missing so much of the story if they decided to exclude it. I don't want some half-assed Delta Episode-esque type thing either because the way Giratina was incorporated into the Spear Pillar scene was really well done. I think it's more of them listening to fans and not fully sticking to the original games, but rather including ALL the games in the series.
That's essentially my concern. :\ The way the Distortion World part of the story was made was done extremely well and I wouldn't want that to be more of a post-game thing where Giratina barely has any actual relevance in the main story itself. This is precisely why I asked this question; I'd get them myself because I love Gen IV, but realistically Diamond and Pearl pale in comparison to Platinum and a remake of just DPPt would probably be an underwhelming experience, sadly.

we're living limitless

Old December 2nd, 2016 (1:44 PM).
뱅 뱅 뱅
  • Platinum Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by colours View Post
That's essentially my concern. :\ The way the Distortion World part of the story was made was done extremely well and I wouldn't want that to be more of a post-game thing where Giratina barely has any actual relevance in the main story itself. This is precisely why I asked this question; I'd get them myself because I love Gen IV, but realistically Diamond and Pearl pale in comparison to Platinum and a remake of just DPPt would probably be an underwhelming experience, sadly.
Platinum just set the bar for really high for any game that came after it, even future generations. When the remakes do happen, hopefully within the next 3-4 years, they won't disappoint!
Old December 2nd, 2016 (2:12 PM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tokyodrift View Post
    I'm also rather concerned about the post game being half-assed. That was a big reason why I stopped playing Y and Omega Ruby. The games should have at least something decent post-game that keeps all types of players occupied in something. As great as a return to Kalos would have been in Sun & Moon(missed opportunity if you ask me), it doesn't have to be that. Heck, a Battle Frontier by itself would suffice.

That's been my biggest gripe since X/Y. It's also why I lost internet in Pokémon games for a little while until I heard about all the new stuff and changes in Sun & Moon. With that in mind, how they go about Sinnoh remakes or even Kanto remakes is why I likely won't be super hyped at first if either get announced. I want a solid all around game. I just have a tough time having faith in them to not use nostalgia as a big cash cow while half assing something. Don't get me wrong; I still like the franchise. I just want to see something on the level of Emerald/Platinum/HGSS/BW2.
    Old December 2nd, 2016 (2:48 PM).
    Veteran PokéNerd

Nature: Adamant
      Fourth gen is my favourite. I'm really not a fan of mega evolution or the new Z moves, which I know they'd shoehorn into a remake. I really would like to see a new-style DPPt game, but I'm worried that it'll not be worthy of its predecessor.
      Old December 2nd, 2016 (3:26 PM).
      Shrewd Strategist
      • PokéCommunity Daily
      • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
      I would absolutely still get them, but I'd be insanely disappointed. Platinum is still to this day one of the best games in the series and it would be awful if it got the same treatment as Emerald did in the gen 3 remakes. I'd argue that Giratina and the Distortion World could be successfully handled in a post-game subplot (as long as it was written well), but Looker has become such a cross-generational icon that he almost has to be in the main game itself, whether or not the remakes decide to incorporate Platinum more closely or not. And I don't think I need to explain why I think the Platinum post-game should be incorporated into any gen 4 remakes.

"My only wish was to see you again."
      Daily
      Staff Fire Emblem Collab
      Old December 3rd, 2016 (5:11 AM).
      • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
      Any Sinnoh remake I'd buy. I'm an absolute sucker for those games, so to see them remade in the style of Sun and Moon graphics would just have me sold instantly. For a while I said Hoenn remakes would be the best possible remake, now though, I'm definitely more hyped for a Sinnoh remake. I would obviously prefer it if they were to do a Platinum remake, but DP would also be fine. They could even incorporate elements of Platinum like they did with HGSS.
      Old December 3rd, 2016 (6:11 AM).
      Strawberry Jams
      • Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant
      I would 100% still buy them, although I love Platinum and all the improvements it made, I would love to see how Game Freak went about remaking DP. The Sinnoh region is a beautiful place and I would love to see it on the new 3D engine!
      Old December 7th, 2016 (3:16 PM).
      • Platinum Tier

I think my thoughts largely align with Rivvon's, here. DP were great games, don't get me wrong, but I feel Game Freak has the habit to only remake the first two games and leave the third game out on the dust, which is kind of what worries me about a DP remake. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when/if it happens, but I'm hoping that a DP remake would be more like HGSS in its execution and less like ORAS.

we're living limitless

Old December 7th, 2016 (6:55 PM).
      뱅 뱅 뱅
      • Platinum Tier
      • PokéCommunity Daily

I think if they do re-make any game, it should be Platinum. Not that D/P are bad in any means, it's just Platinum fixed many issues and any underlying holes in the story. I think HGSS set the bar for Game Freak remaking games, and I really want them to top that with the eventual gen four remakes. Although if it's anything like ORAS, I'd be pretty disappointed. I think my biggest qualm is them not including the Battle Frontier, which gives the players so much to do in it's self post game.
      Old December 10th, 2016 (8:18 AM).
      • Platinum Tier

It's interesting to note that GS were fine enough games on their own (I haven't played Crystal much, so I'm not sure how much Crystal improved over GS besides visually), so it would make sense that HGSS were pretty solid remakes. I too hope that Game Freak implements more of Platinum in future DPPt remakes because otherwise it'd feel a bit empty...

we're living limitless

Old December 12th, 2016 (4:43 PM).
      Let's yell at Trump~!

If they are remaking these then I really really hope they do Plat (i guess I'm just biased as it was my first game, though I won't mind a D/P remake with Plat's features)
        Old December 26th, 2016 (8:00 PM).
        • Platinum Tier

I had a conversation with a few people on Discord about this and I think Platinum would be incorporated to some degree. I'm pretty much expecting things to be mostly Diamond/Pearl, and perhaps Giratina getting its own post-game plot a la ORAS' Delta Episode perhaps. Though honestly, I'm not sure why Game Freak would make the Distortion World more of a post-game thing, assuming they include it at all (which I'm hoping they do)...

we're living limitless

Old December 27th, 2016 (11:03 AM).
        I'm baaaaaaaaad

Nature: Lax
          Generation 4 is my favorite generation. As long as the remakes have a similar feel and have Giratina as a major player in the main story, ill be happy. No matter what though, I will be picking the remakes up.

Signature by Nah
          Old December 27th, 2016 (6:43 PM).
          Did it reach her?
          • PokéCommunity Daily
          • Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
          I'd definitely buy it, considering every fourth gen game Game Freak released (including Mystery Dungeon 2) only made me fall in love with the franchise even more. However I agree that the execution of this remake needs to be more in line with HG/SS, and less in line with OR/AS. I mean c'mon Game Freak, how hard would it have been to put the Battle Frontier in?

Seeing Diamond and Pearl just with those crisp 7th gen graphics is all that's really required for a pre-order from me. But if they add the features and story from Platinum, the game will instantly become one of the best in my eyes.
          Old December 28th, 2016 (5:38 PM).
          Supah Hott

Nature: Mild
            Platinum was the best out of them all, but any remake I'll take. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire just showed the potential of how good they can make remakes of their past games.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!
            Old December 30th, 2016 (6:14 AM).
            뱅 뱅 뱅
            • Platinum Tier
            • PokéCommunity Daily

I just overall think the Delta Episode was a mistake and done in such a way that it seemed like they just said: "Oh, we forgot Rayquaza, let's make something to incoperate him in the story!" With D/P/Pt, I feel as if the legendaries involved in the story are too much involved in the story for them to just slap on something on the side to make them feel relevant. Even then, I do think fans would be extremely disappointed to not see the Distortion World with Gen 7+ graphics. There are so many fabulous cut scenes that it would be a shame they cut them out a la Rayquaza coming down from the heavens to settle Groudon and Kyogre.
            Old January 24th, 2017 (5:08 PM).
            Classic Barry-Type Rival

Nature: Quirky
              I JUST WANTS ME SOME PLATINUM!

Old January 26th, 2017 (4:18 PM).
              ☕ milk tea & 💻 code.

I would still get it, but I may or may not bother finishing the game lol.
                I rate DP as one of the worst in the series (behind BW), but Platinum is another ball game all together. I found it way more enjoyable.

every accomplishment starts with the decision to try
                sun diaryplatinum diary
                Old January 27th, 2017 (5:23 PM).
                Me but pink

Nature: Hasty
                  If it's more D/P then Platinum, I will cry ;_;

Old January 28th, 2017 (2:09 PM).

Honestly like many people here I say any remake of Gen4 is an instant sell for me since that was my favorite Gen. My real favorite would be 2 but because we got Gen2 remakes that would make 4 my favorite. I loved those games so much to be disappointed at all with a remake. If they included Platinum in them then that would be incredible, but to me those games were already great on their own and I would love them remade without Platinum. GF not incorporating Platinum into the remakes in some form is a long shot, I feel they would have the Distortion World in there by default, but you never know what could happen. Either way I would be happy.

Old January 29th, 2017 (10:54 AM).
                    • Platinum Tier

I feel like GF skipped out so many aspects of Emerald that they could've easily incorporated into ORAS. I get that Emerald was the first game to have more of a storyline change with new characters and what not, but I still think there were certain aspects of Emerald that could've easily been ported into ORAS and made the games much more enjoyable. That's what I'm hoping gets done with DP remakes, they can still be remakes of the originals whilst having elements of the third game incorporated, just like HGSS.
                    Old February 17th, 2017 (8:20 AM).
                    Pokemon Spirit Seaker

Nature: Bold
                      I would buy the remakes just for the nostalgia of being ten years old again.
                      Old February 17th, 2017 (8:22 AM).
                      • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by TheGhostHunter View Post
                      I would buy the remakes just for the nostalgia of being ten years old again.
                      I like this perspective. :o I think that's similar to the way I feel, thinking about it more.

we're living limitless

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links