Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon Alola, and welcome to the Alola region, Trainer! This is the forum for the first games of the seventh generation, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! Are you Team Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio? Do you prefer Solgaleo or Lunala? How do you feel about Alola forms? Talk about those and more here!

Old February 17th, 2017 (8:19 AM).

pleasecome
home;;

• Platinum Tier
  • GTGet-Together Event Management

Nature: Quiet

It's small, right? Granted, it's bigger than last gen's, but it came a swift disappointment to a whole bunch of people who were expecting more than 100. I don't blame them either; I personally would rather have a wide variety of Pokemon to play around with, but that's just me.

What would be your ideal Pokedex size for this generation? Do you think, after playing SM, that the small Pokedex size made sense, or would you still rather have it be bigger in terms of more regional Pokemon?

Hard wind blows as the night is born
And the dark feels so safe
My body yearns for that need to start
Cause it's too hard to wait
We're going out tonight with something to prove
Take to the streets and let our demons loose
Put your hands up

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 17th, 2017 (8:54 AM).

I'm disappointment at number of new Pokemon this generation too. I would love to see Pokemon based on animals or mythological creatures that have been not used before. I still think Pokemon in this generation are well designed though.

Old February 17th, 2017 (9:40 AM).
    still don't know what I'm doing

I think what it really boils down to is, there are currently 802 pokemon. Completing a pokedex this big is really a big task, and having to scatter all these pokemon around regions is something difficult for gamefreak. Yes they can be split up into different games in a generation, but it just makes getting them all even more tedious. Maybe GF have realised that if they keep adding over a hundred new pokemon each generation, these issues are gonna become very apparent. Now don't get me wrong, I love new pokemon and felt gen vi were a bit lackluster, but I think in the long run, it's better this way.

Old February 17th, 2017 (12:23 PM).
      Aaron is that weirdo with 5 colours in her hair
      • Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant

Yeah I guess it was a low number, especially considering how long Sun and Moon were in production and the two year break after ORAS. Saying this, I loved the designs of a lot of the Pokemon in SM a lot ofthem were cool and fun, which kinda makes up for the low number.

Old February 17th, 2017 (2:10 PM).

dorks

• Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed

Ideally, I would have liked to seen around 90-100 new Pokémon, but I knew that wasn't going to be the case. After we went from having 135 new Pokémon in Gen V to only 71(?) in Gen VI, it was quite obvious they decided to go in a different direction by introducing a lower amount of new species to compensate for the likes of mega evolutions. It was the same situation with this gen, only this time we had Alola forms. The total number gets significantly larger with each generation, sooner or later they're going to have to slow it down if they want to keep it at a reasonable grand total whilst having new generations moving forward.

Old February 17th, 2017 (5:29 PM).

Well I like number of pokemon OK... I think in last two generation GF has been focusing more on quality over quantity .... which I am fine to begin with.

" Willow is my middle name, Willows are fixable and not easly broken, I'm not giving up."

Strength of ICE!

Old February 17th, 2017 (5:37 PM).
        You cannot grasp the true form of Chaos!

Nature: Timid

Honestly, I prefer it this way. While Gen 6 and 7 introduced less Pokemon than any other Gen, most of those Pokemon were unique and great. They did different things compared to the Pokemon that came before them. Gen 5 may have introduced the most Pokemon, but in my opinion, I didn't care for much of those Pokemon. While Gen 5 introduced a lot (and I mean a lot) of Pokemon that I really like, the others were either forgettable, underwhelming, or did nothing different compared to earlier Pokemon. For example, other than type, what makes Roggenrola different niche-wise from Geodude? Both are just slow, physically defensive Rock Pokemon. Or Conkeldurr from Machamp? Two slow bulky Fighting types with high Attack. If Game Freak wanted to put a bird Pokemon in Route 1, why not put an existing bird in that route, instead of making an entirely new Pokemon that at the end of the day, does nothing different to distinguish itself from the already existing bird? Instead, make that new bird do something unique and different, instead of being outclassed by the numerous other birds that exist. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have quality over quantity. I hope that Gen 8 continues this trend of less new but more interesting Pokemon.

Name: Shadow
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

"The circumstances of ones' birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
          -Mewtwo

Old February 18th, 2017 (4:39 AM).

pleasecome
          home;;

• Platinum Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by khaozz View Post
          Honestly, I prefer it this way. While Gen 6 and 7 introduced less Pokemon than any other Gen, most of those Pokemon were unique and great. They did different things compared to the Pokemon that came before them. Gen 5 may have introduced the most Pokemon, but in my opinion, I didn't care for much of those Pokemon. While Gen 5 introduced a lot (and I mean a lot) of Pokemon that I really like, the others were either forgettable, underwhelming, or did nothing different compared to earlier Pokemon. For example, other than type, what makes Roggenrola different niche-wise from Geodude? Both are just slow, physically defensive Rock Pokemon. Or Conkeldurr from Machamp? Two slow bulky Fighting types with high Attack. If Game Freak wanted to put a bird Pokemon in Route 1, why not put an existing bird in that route, instead of making an entirely new Pokemon that at the end of the day, does nothing different to distinguish itself from the already existing bird? Instead, make that new bird do something unique and different, instead of being outclassed by the numerous other birds that exist. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have quality over quantity. I hope that Gen 8 continues this trend of less new but more interesting Pokemon.

I think this is a rather interesting point to make. :o I'd much rather have a smaller Pokedex but have more interesting Pokemon than a bunch of Pokemon but not care about most of them, yknow? I suppose this is also because I'm so used to most generations up until Gen VI introducing roughly around 100+ Pokemon so I was expecting the same of this generation. I was really bummed out because of the small Pokedex number, but I don't think it's a huge deal to me, anymore.

Put your hands up

Old February 18th, 2017 (5:00 AM).
          Fighting a bigger fight

I loved a lot of the designs for GenVII so can't really complain.

Do I wish for more? Yes, I guess, but then they run the risk of being less than memorable.

Maractus, Beheeyem, all sorts of Pokemon from Gen 5 that I keep forgetting exist.

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Moon (Moon)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545

Old February 24th, 2017 (7:39 AM).

pleasecome
            home;;

• Platinum Tier

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Frozocrone View Post
            Maractus, Beheeyem, all sorts of Pokemon from Gen 5 that I keep forgetting exist.

Out of interest, if Game Freak only kept introducing ~100 Pokemon (give or take) every generation, would that be ok with you, compared to the 150 or so (again, give or take) introduced in previous generations?

Put your hands up

Old February 24th, 2017 (9:27 AM).
            Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
              Originally Posted by colours View Post
              Out of interest, if Game Freak only kept introducing ~100 Pokemon (give or take) every generation, would that be ok with you, compared to the 150 or so (again, give or take) introduced in previous generations?

Depends if they're memorable.

I'd always take quality over quantity but then you really have to deliver on the new Pokemon if you're opting for less new entries to justify the smaller amount of new Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Moon (Moon)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545

Old February 24th, 2017 (7:50 PM).
              barely iconic
              • Social Media
              • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest

I would be lying if I said I didn't want more Pokémon.
              I'm very mixed on this topic, I do like the number of Alola Pokémon that was presented but that being said, they weren't satisfying.
              Some of Alola's Pokémon are very forgettable and in terms of evolution-lines, are very limited. The collection of Pokémon you can find in Alola is very balanced, but in terms of Alola Pokémon, isn't that extensive. Alola introduced many new, interesting duel-types but only a few really "stuck" imo". + I would've of loved if new generations would start introducing pre-evolutions or evolutions like Gen 4. Also, the Alola region had soon many opportunities to create & design very interesting Pokémon (which they did design) but could've of took that creativity onto another level by creating more.
              Yet again, I think the amount of Pokémon Alola introduced is suitable from the amount of Pokémon that's already been introduced & the balance of the different generations in Alola was just right.

Old February 24th, 2017 (8:07 PM).

Shrewd Strategist

• PokéCommunity Daily
              • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly

I used to want larger numbers of Pokémon each gen, but also understood of the argument that Game Freak may want to tone down the number they introduce now that the grand total is nearing 1000. Now that the National Dex isn't even in the game, I don't see why that should matter. Since the National Dex is completely detached from the games, you don't need all the Pokémon to complete anything at all. So it shouldn't make much of a difference if they introduce 80 or 100 or even 120 new ones. To me, more Pokémon means more chance you'll find ones you like. For me, SM had a small number of new Pokémon, and a lot of them I didn't like. It was hard for me to craft a team I wanted to use because of this. These two factors aren't inherently linked with each other--for instance, I love most of gen 6's Pokémon but gen 6 has even fewer new Pokémon than gen 7--but it's just the idea that the more new Pokémon there are, the better chance there will be more that I like.

I also don't worry too much about the "memorability" aspect, either. Pokémon end up memorable either because they're your favorite so of course you'll remember them, or because they get featured a lot either in subsequent games, the anime, merchandise, or become overused in online play. A lot more Pokémon could be more memorable if they chose to utilize them. For instance, Woobat is an adorable bat Pokémon. In XY, you can find Woobat rarely in caves, but Zubat is way more common and ends up overshadowing Woobat. In SM, even though Zubat got no Alola form, no Z-Move, no Mega, no nothing, they still chose to use Zubat in every single cave across Alola and Woobat is nowhere to be found in the entire region. Certainly, a Pokémon like Woobat would become more memorable if it was featured more often in games other than the one it was introduced in. In a separate example, if "lower numbers" meant "more memorable," does that mean all Kalos Pokémon are memorable? How many gen 6 Pokémon do people even remember, aside from Greninja, Talonflame, and Mega Kangaskhan? Probably only their favorites. Not because they are bad, but because they make so few appearances outside of their home games. The fact that there are fewer of them doesn't help that.

Old February 25th, 2017 (11:55 AM). Edited February 25th, 2017 by colours.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by khaozz View Post

its their abilities and move pools that make them different for different pokemon combos and tactics. Coverage too. It makes muk less predictable in pvp.

As long as they at least introduce 70 new pokes a generation im happy. I'm happy just to have new pokemon games to be honest.

I'll be happy when tapu's arent in the next games championships....unless they bring alola to kanto in some crazy story that brings tapus to kanto....then i'd be annoyed.

Old February 26th, 2017 (2:03 AM).
                • Crystal Tier

I think quality is more valuable than quantity, but at the same time I think the higher the quantity, the more likely it is that you'll find some that you appreciate. Every generation has good and bad designs, and for me at least, that number of good/bad has never been proportionate to the number of Pokemon introduced, so I can't say either way if, for me personally, more would be a good thing.

I didn't really care for any of the Pokemon introduced in Gen VII or Gen VI, and they have the smallest numbers thus far. Would I have liked them if there was more of them? Not necessarily, because I don't like much of Gen III or Gen V either and there were more there. By contrast, I loved practically all of Gen IV and Gen II. Gen I is a difficut one to gauge, because I loved them all when I was younger, but time and the release of new Pokemon has altered my viewpoint slightly, as my favourites have been replaced and I've come to realise some of the designs weren't as good as I thought they were.

Sometimes less is more, and sometimes it isn't. Personally, I try to ignore the numbers and look at the individual Pokemon - if I like what I see, then I don't wish for more. If I don't, I think that maybe more would have been nice, but at the same time, they could end up being just as unappealing to me as what is already there.

Honestly, I don't really count things like Alola forms, Mega Evolutions, and so on, when I look at new designs. No form changes that have come in later generations have ever made me like a Pokemon any more than I have to begin with. Some have even made me like them less, in fact. I think it's a good way to link existing generations to newer ones outside of piling on evolutions and pre-evolutions, but thus far none of the designs have really appealed to me a great deal.

Old February 26th, 2017 (6:23 AM).
                x Silvally

Nature: Sassy

Quality over quantity.
                  To be honest, when they introduced "too many Pokemon", people complain too.
                  I got used and loved most of the designs now, especially Alolan Persians.

"What does a Pokémon Trainer really need to be successful?
                  I guess everyone might have their own answer.
                  But for me...I want the strongest rival for myself
                  ."
                  - Gladion

Old February 26th, 2017 (6:57 PM).
                  ☕ milk tea & 💻 code.

It's not that small.

The average number of new Pokemon introduced in each generation (not including the original 151 in Gen I) is 108.

Most generations are around 100 - the biggest additions have been Gen III at 135 and Gen V at 156, but that's not really the norm.

I have never really been bothered by the number of new additions in any generation so I suppose it's safe to say I'm quite content with them continuing with this trend in the future.

every accomplishment starts with the decision to try
                    sun diaryplatinum diary

Old February 26th, 2017 (7:23 PM).

pleasecome
                    home;;

• Platinum Tier

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by kitarei View Post
                    It's not that small.

The average number of new Pokemon introduced in each generation (not including the original 151 in Gen I) is 108.

Most generations are around 100 - the biggest additions have been Gen III at 135 and Gen V at 156, but that's not really the norm.

I have never really been bothered by the number of new additions in any generation so I suppose it's safe to say I'm quite content with them continuing with this trend in the future.

This is actually an interesting viewpoint -- I was perhaps spoiled by the number of Pokemon introduced in Gen III and V and expected that to continue in the future -- but you raise a valid point that in most generations, the number of Pokemon introduced is roughly around 100 or so. I suppose I personally wanted more because it's nice to have a wider variety of Pokemon to choose from, y'know?

Put your hands up

Old February 26th, 2017 (11:16 PM).

Did it reach her?

• PokéCommunity Daily
                    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious

I was personally not a huge fan of the lack of size with gen VII's roster. While I understand the whole quality over quantity argument, I just don't really think that GF delivered quite enough of either. The designs were very good overall, just not amazing. They all felt like B or B+ mons, but few A's. On top of that, the lineup was short once again so Alola's dex just felt meh to me.

I honestly feel like they should add over the 100 mark for every gen. One of my few annoyances with Sun and Moon was that there were a number of areas where you couldn't even find a new Alolan mon. It's boring when you go to a completely new area to find nothing new. It makes the region feel incomplete and smaller than what you want it to be.

My point is: I'm fine with less focus on design, as long as there's a larger roster. What makes a "good design" is 100% opinion based and changes with each person anyways, so why focus so much on it? Just give me plenty of new creatures to learn about, and let people fight it out with regards to which ones look better/cooler/cuter/etc.

Old February 27th, 2017 (4:20 AM).

dorks

• Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed

Come to think of it, there aren't many (if any) forgettable Pokémon from Alola imo compared to other generations that introduced higher numbers of Pokémon. Although we didn't receive 100+ as many wanted, I still think 81 is a really nice amount, and we got some great new lines this gen too!

Old February 27th, 2017 (7:47 PM).

Personally, I would lik it if they had a lot fewer new ones each generation, maybe around 20. I don't know many that are newer than Gen 2 in all honesty and the number of pokemon to learn and collect is overwhelming, and trying to choose only 6 of them is a hard task!

If they had 20 per generation, and thenwhen they reach 1000, only add three new starters or three new legendary pokemon, and that'sit, it would be more manageable. we don't need 1100 by generation 10 IMO.

Old March 7th, 2017 (9:34 PM).

pleasecome
                      home;;

• Platinum Tier

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by butterfour View Post
                      Personally, I would lik it if they had a lot fewer new ones each generation, maybe around 20. I don't know many that are newer than Gen 2 in all honesty and the number of pokemon to learn and collect is overwhelming, and trying to choose only 6 of them is a hard task!

If they had 20 per generation, and thenwhen they reach 1000, only add three new starters or three new legendary pokemon, and that'sit, it would be more manageable. we don't need 1100 by generation 10 IMO.

20 seems WAY too few to me, though. Personally, the least I would accept is probably around the number of what XY introduced, no less. While personally I prefer more than 100 Pokemon, if Game Freak is going to continue the trend of 100 Pokemon or less, then I'd rather those Pokemon be designed well and actually be memorable to some degree.

Put your hands up

Old March 9th, 2017 (4:08 PM).

I'm okay with smaller amounts. They are more memorable than, let's say, Pidove or Trubish or even Audino. They are more memorable than pokemon like Skunky so I don't really care if there are loads. Smaller amounts means more memorable.

Old March 11th, 2017 (8:41 PM).

C R O S S P O I S O N

• Crystal Tier
                        • EOEvent Organizer

Nature: Adamant

I think the design of each individual Pokémon compensates for the number introduced in this generation. Off the top of my head, only A-Persian and A-Raticate have unappealing designs.

Also Bruxish.

Old March 15th, 2017 (4:20 PM).

I just got this game a few weeks ago and this is my biggest disappointment. I like the designs of all the new ones but man, I wish there was more. Rattata and Zubat and Pikachu! We get it!

Friend Code: 5258-0954-7742 John
                          Friend Safari: Electric: Dedenne Helioptile Zebstrika
                          Innovator of the Drunklocke.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links