The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon
Lets talk about the number of Pokemon introduced this gen...

Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon Alola, and welcome to the Alola region, Trainer! This is the forum for the first games of the seventh generation, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! Are you Team Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio? Do you prefer Solgaleo or Lunala? How do you feel about Alola forms? Talk about those and more here!

Old 4 Days Ago (8:19 AM).
→weARElimitless
PokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Quiet
It's small, right? Granted, it's bigger than last gen's, but it came a swift disappointment to a whole bunch of people who were expecting more than 100. I don't blame them either; I personally would rather have a wide variety of Pokemon to play around with, but that's just me.

What would be your ideal Pokedex size for this generation? Do you think, after playing SM, that the small Pokedex size made sense, or would you still rather have it be bigger in terms of more regional Pokemon?

we're living limitless

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Days Ago (8:54 AM).

I'm disappointment at number of new Pokemon this generation too. I would love to see Pokemon based on animals or mythological creatures that have been not used before. I still think Pokemon in this generation are well designed though.
Old 4 Days Ago (9:40 AM).
still don't know what I'm doing

I think what it really boils down to is, there are currently 802 pokemon. Completing a pokedex this big is really a big task, and having to scatter all these pokemon around regions is something difficult for gamefreak. Yes they can be split up into different games in a generation, but it just makes getting them all even more tedious. Maybe GF have realised that if they keep adding over a hundred new pokemon each generation, these issues are gonna become very apparent. Now don't get me wrong, I love new pokemon and felt gen vi were a bit lackluster, but I think in the long run, it's better this way.

Old 4 Days Ago (12:23 PM).
Cooler than Cooler

Nature: Adamant
Yeah I guess it was a low number, especially considering how long Sun and Moon were in production and the two year break after ORAS. Saying this, I loved the designs of a lot of the Pokemon in SM a lot ofthem were cool and fun, which kinda makes up for the low number.

Luna x ThePokeFanSophia
Old 4 Days Ago (2:10 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Ideally, I would have liked to seen around 90-100 new Pokémon, but I knew that wasn't going to be the case. After we went from having 135 new Pokémon in Gen V to only 71(?) in Gen VI, it was quite obvious they decided to go in a different direction by introducing a lower amount of new species to compensate for the likes of mega evolutions. It was the same situation with this gen, only this time we had Alola forms. The total number gets significantly larger with each generation, sooner or later they're going to have to slow it down if they want to keep it at a reasonable grand total whilst having new generations moving forward.
Old 4 Days Ago (5:29 PM).

Well I like number of pokemon OK... I think in last two generation GF has been focusing more on quality over quantity .... which I am fine to begin with.

Strength of ICE!
Old 4 Days Ago (5:37 PM).
The flames of Chaos burn eternally.

Nature: Timid
Honestly, I prefer it this way. While Gen 6 and 7 introduced less Pokemon than any other Gen, most of those Pokemon were unique and great. They did different things compared to the Pokemon that came before them. Gen 5 may have introduced the most Pokemon, but in my opinion, I didn't care for much of those Pokemon. While Gen 5 introduced a lot (and I mean a lot) of Pokemon that I really like, the others were either forgettable, underwhelming, or did nothing different compared to earlier Pokemon. For example, other than type, what makes Roggenrola different niche-wise from Geodude? Both are just slow, physically defensive Rock Pokemon. Or Conkeldurr from Machamp? Two slow bulky Fighting types with high Attack. If Game Freak wanted to put a bird Pokemon in Route 1, why not put an existing bird in that route, instead of making an entirely new Pokemon that at the end of the day, does nothing different to distinguish itself from the already existing bird? Instead, make that new bird do something unique and different, instead of being outclassed by the numerous other birds that exist. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have quality over quantity. I hope that Gen 8 continues this trend of less new but more interesting Pokemon.

Name: Shadow
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

"The circumstances of ones' birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
-Mewtwo

Old 3 Days Ago (4:39 AM).
→weARElimitless
PokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaozz View Post
Honestly, I prefer it this way. While Gen 6 and 7 introduced less Pokemon than any other Gen, most of those Pokemon were unique and great. They did different things compared to the Pokemon that came before them. Gen 5 may have introduced the most Pokemon, but in my opinion, I didn't care for much of those Pokemon. While Gen 5 introduced a lot (and I mean a lot) of Pokemon that I really like, the others were either forgettable, underwhelming, or did nothing different compared to earlier Pokemon. For example, other than type, what makes Roggenrola different niche-wise from Geodude? Both are just slow, physically defensive Rock Pokemon. Or Conkeldurr from Machamp? Two slow bulky Fighting types with high Attack. If Game Freak wanted to put a bird Pokemon in Route 1, why not put an existing bird in that route, instead of making an entirely new Pokemon that at the end of the day, does nothing different to distinguish itself from the already existing bird? Instead, make that new bird do something unique and different, instead of being outclassed by the numerous other birds that exist. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have quality over quantity. I hope that Gen 8 continues this trend of less new but more interesting Pokemon.
I think this is a rather interesting point to make. :o I'd much rather have a smaller Pokedex but have more interesting Pokemon than a bunch of Pokemon but not care about most of them, yknow? I suppose this is also because I'm so used to most generations up until Gen VI introducing roughly around 100+ Pokemon so I was expecting the same of this generation. I was really bummed out because of the small Pokedex number, but I don't think it's a huge deal to me, anymore.

we're living limitless

Old 3 Days Ago (5:00 AM).
Give me more.

I loved a lot of the designs for GenVII so can't really complain.

Do I wish for more? Yes, I guess, but then they run the risk of being less than memorable.

Maractus, Beheeyem, all sorts of Pokemon from Gen 5 that I keep forgetting exist.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links