• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why I don’t really like the school kids except for Espurr.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 5, 2023
Why I don?t really like the school kids except for Espurr.

Why I don?t really like the school kids except for Espurr.
Deerling: Deerling I liked. At first. She?s the only one who attempts to stand up to Pancham and Shelmet, and she?s very loyal to Goomy, and is very happy when the hero goes into Foreboding Forest when she couldn?t because...because...because...and this is where Deerling?s problem begins. She?s ineffective.
Deerling: I?m going to go look for Goomy in foreboding forest!
Pancham: No, don?t! This forest we just goaded Goomy into entering just for lulz is far too dangerous for you, who is more highly leveled then Goomy and more probably more experienced at battle!
Deerling: ?.OK!
2. Goomy: He and Deerling are both hypocrites in a way: They give the partner the cold shoulder for unintentionally getting Goomy in dangerous situations, while hanging out with Shelmet and Pancham, who intentionally goad Goomy into dangerous situations, and laugh at the possibility of Goomy being in a dangerous place scared witless, and making an active effort to correct Pancham and Shelmet's actions. Not to mention all of them just watch as Pancham blatantly bullies the partner! No matter what the partner did to Goomy in the past, that?s NO excuse to watch Pancham very obviously bully the partner, and give Pancham special treatment for essentially doing what the partner did except worse!
3. I don?t think the partner is annoying. You know what I thought WAS annoying? Pancham repeatedly, unendingly, unprovokedly CALLING the partner annoying.
Partner: *Says something*
Pancham: Ew, you?re so annoying!!
Pancham: *Sees Partner* AYEE! ANNOYING!
Pancham, I get it. You?re allergic to my partner. You don?t have to be a rude little git about it.
Also, leaving Goomy behind was wrong of the hero and the partner, but how is that related to ?annoying? exactly? :/ did the translators goof or something?
But anyway, you know what my main beef with Pancham is? He?s a marty stu. Yep. I said it.
How is he a marty stu exactly?? Let?s see, he?s mean, arrogant, rude, condescending, selfish, enjoys watching his classmates suffer entirely too much, and everybody loves him.
The partner, his main target for bullying, adores him and never wishes harm on him and even wants to be friends with him! How realistic is that? Oh, it is for Pancham, because everyone loves him and he can do no wrong! Even though he did a ton of times. While the partner gets the cold shoulder for dragging goomy along on explorations, Pancham, for sending kids into dangerous situations just because he enjoys seeing them fail (And apparently thinks it?s his responsibility to ?punish? them) gets the attention of a beautiful girl and all the school children are wrapped around his finger. CUT THE BALONEY!
And then, when he gets into a situation that was completely his own fault, everyone goes to rescue him immediately, because everybody loves Pancham!
Even Deerling, who couldn?t bring herself to go find Goomy in foreboding forest, puts aside all restraint to enter the ancient barrow to find Pancham and his lackey, because everybody loves Pancham!
And when it?s in the anctient barrow, I get it, rescuing Pancham and Shelmet is one thing: It?s another thing to go: Oh, Pancham, we?d NEVER be tempted to leave you in this creepy place! We love you SOOO much! Especially the partner, who you pick on all the time! You?re sooooo great!
I don?t think that all dark types are evil, but Pancham lives up to his aku type perfectly.

Espurr: Though Espurr was equally subject to the bystander effect, she made up for this in the latter half by, ya know, helping save the world.
Maybe if they?d redeemed Pancham, I mean actually redeeming him?
But I guess the game makers thought it was unnecessary, because, say it with me, everybody: everybody loves pancham!
(EDIT: OK, Pancham is a fighting type, not a Dark type. Could've fooled me. At least certain other dark types apologized. Maybe he did if you pick him on the adventure, but, well...by then he'd killed any chance of me picking him.)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sorry I've never played Super MD. :( I am going to add Mystery Dungeon to the field so people know which game you are referring to. C:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I never thought too hard about it, I guess. Personally I didn't mind the school kids at all?in fact, I quite liked their characters! I'll admit they weren't properly developed, and the way they acted didn't make sense sometimes. What did bother me was Pancham constantly calling the partner annoying.

Deerling and Espurr were really cute.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 5, 2023
I never thought too hard about it, I guess. Personally I didn't mind the school kids at all—in fact, I quite liked their characters! I'll admit they weren't properly developed, and the way they acted didn't make sense sometimes. What did bother me was Pancham constantly calling the partner annoying.

Deerling and Espurr were really cute.
They were pretty cute, regardless of everything. I guess I have trouble remembering that they're little kids, and, like you said, little kids don't always make sense.
It's just...I know that Goomy must have been quite frustrated with the partner's actions, and I know the partner was rather pushy, but I don't think it justifies how the partner was treated by the others, and I think the game tried to hard to use it to do exactly that. For a game that promotes acceptance of negative feelings, the partner cheerfully forgiving Pancham, who'd given him a lot of hurt seemed to be against that message. It would have been wrong to leave Pancham behind, but I think that acknowledging all the hurtful things Pancham and Shelmet said (And the downright cruel actions that led to their situation) and still choosing to forgive and fight for their freedom would have been more poignant then just treating them like friends. (It doesn't help that Pancham, Shelmet, and everybody else takes this act completely for granted. The next day, he does tell the hero "I owe you one", but barely acknowledges the partner.) Team Meanies, Team Skull and many pokemon from GTI all redeemed themselves by acknowledging their past deeds and working to change for the better. And certain other pokemon from SMD (not gonna name names for spoiler's sake) did do that as well. Pancham...gets saved from an evil monster...and then...stops picking on the partner. It's true he does express remorse and apologies occasionally...but it's always to the hero, who he doesn't treat nearly as badly as the partner.
Sorry for the rant. I've been keeping this inside of me for a long time. You're right, Espurr and Deerling are really cute! It wasn't until after the fact and I began thinking hard about Deerling that I realized she isn't the saint that the game makes her out to be.

Back