• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The Capture/Evolution/ Release, etc. Thread

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
So Ash has officially caught Poipole, leading to my theory being correct when the japanese Ultra anime was first revealed. This is his first poison type pokemon in a very long time. I think the only other ones he caught were Muk and Haunter, Haunter being given away an episode later.

Now the question is, will it evolve? I think it will, but I think it will be toward the end of the saga. Possibly when battling Necrozma, which I think will happen. It will make Ash look even more impressive that he bonded and evolved an Ultra Beast, which will cause RotomDex to go crazy again.

And last, but not least, most likely he will release it at the end of the saga, as it is kinda an odd pokemon to keep or he may give it to Lillie and the Aether Foundation.

Technically Bulbasaur was his first Poison Type, with Haunter being his first befriended Poison type(I don't consider him caught since it never entered a Pokeball). Muk was his next Poison type(as was Beedrill but he gave that to Casey) but after that he hasn't caught anything Poison until now. I'm also a bit surprised by it since Ash has never had what you can call a Legendary or Mythical Pokemon under his care/training until now(and it has to be Sun&Moon too.... Why couldn't it had been XY or some other series. Sigh....). It's evolved form also happens to be part Dragon. Iris would be so jealous. Makes one wonder what Pokemon will fill the final roster spot.

I will say though that while it's nice that Ash got Pokemon #5, it's yet another Episode and Pokemon that doesn't go to the other protagonists(notably the Female ones).

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Technically Bulbasaur was his first Poison Type, with Haunter being his first befriended Poison type(I don't consider him caught since it never entered a Pokeball). Muk was his next Poison type(as was Beedrill but he gave that to Casey) but after that he hasn't caught anything Poison until now. I'm also a bit surprised by it since Ash has never had what you can call a Legendary or Mythical Pokemon under his care/training until now(and it has to be Sun&Moon too.... Why couldn't it had been XY or some other series. Sigh....). It's evolved form also happens to be part Dragon. Iris would be so jealous. Makes one wonder what Pokemon will fill the final roster spot.

I will say though that while it's nice that Ash got Pokemon #5, it's yet another Episode and Pokemon that doesn't go to the other protagonists(notably the Female ones).

I will be totally honest, I forgot Bulbasaur was part poison. As for Beedrill, I usually remember it, but it escaped my mind this time around.

And yeah I have to agree, they should have gotten another pokemon. Maybe they will get a Ultra Beast as well? Because they will need some power to defeat Necrozma and if I remember correctly, the series picture or whatever had the ultra beasts seemingly nice.

Although the only other one that has appeared so far was Buzzwole, who has already been returned and was caught also by Ash.... I think, he just didn't keep it.

Years

That's the problem... the fact that it's ANOTHER capture for Ash. It seems like he's the only character the writers even care about at this point. If there's one thing we've seen in the SM series in regards to team changes, if your name isn't Ash, you get screwed over and shafted by the writers.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
That's the problem... the fact that it's ANOTHER capture for Ash. It seems like he's the only character the writers even care about at this point. If there's one thing we've seen in the SM series in regards to team changes, if your name isn't Ash, you get screwed over and shafted by the writers.

Should seriously take bets on whether the other protagonists, much less Female protagonists, catch another Pokemon(be it by Egg or w/e at this point). Also, by watching S&M's intro, they hinted at Poipole joining Ash's team. Therefore, as I reflect on the latest Episode, its not all that surprising. The real question is whether it will evolve(odds are it will) and whether Ash will keep it. Considering Lusamine is quoted as saying that Ash is the caretaker until they find the Ultrahole it came in, Poipole will be going back once its found. In other words, we're getting another release when the time comes.

Years
Should seriously take bets on whether the other protagonists, much less Female protagonists, catch another Pokemon(be it by Egg or w/e at this point). Also, by watching S&M's intro, they hinted at Poipole joining Ash's team. Therefore, as I reflect on the latest Episode, its not all that surprising. The real question is whether it will evolve(odds are it will) and whether Ash will keep it. Considering Lusamine is quoted as saying that Ash is the caretaker until they find the Ultrahole it came in, Poipole will be going back once its found. In other words, we're getting another release when the time comes.

Let's agree that the whole "will Ash's classmates catch another Pokemon" issue will become a full-on drinking game at this point. Bonus points if it's Lillie, Mallow and Lana who all still technically only own one Pokemon, which will leave them useless if Team Rocket steals their only Pokemon, as Mallow had gone through but at least acknowledged a lack of Pokemon on her party.

Lana, if she never catches another Pokemon or evolves Popplio before the end of SM, would make history for being the first female to have no team changes, period. It would suck if we end up with a protagonist like that, and while Lillie did have a capture and Mallow had an evolution, Lana has had neither.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Let's agree that the whole "will Ash's classmates catch another Pokemon" issue will become a full-on drinking game at this point. Bonus points if it's Lillie, Mallow and Lana who all still technically only own one Pokemon, which will leave them useless if Team Rocket steals their only Pokemon, as Mallow had gone through but at least acknowledged a lack of Pokemon on her party.

Lana, if she never catches another Pokemon or evolves Popplio before the end of SM, would make history for being the first female to have no team changes, period. It would suck if we end up with a protagonist like that, and while Lillie did have a capture and Mallow had an evolution, Lana has had neither.

Don't forget about Waterium-Z. Lillie may have caught Snowy and Mallow evolved Bounsweet into Steenee, but neither of them can claim having a Z-Ring and Crystal. That said, I agree with you in that they ALLshould have had a 2nd Pokemon by now(Lillie understandably delayed due to Fear/Aether arc).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2018
At this point, I am starting to drift away from the Sun and Moon anime to a point where I just want it to end which has never happened before. We have seen I think every pokemon, but Ultra Beasts and no one has still caught anything since the first 20 or so episodes other than Kiawe.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
http://maskedkitsune.tumblr.com/post/172429896199/sm070-april-19th-protect-the-ranch-sm071-april

So, Lana is finally confirmed to be getting a second Pokemon. She'll be catching a Dewpider in SM071, which airs on April 26th.

Well if that's indeed true, then that's not surprising since of the three female protagonists, she's the only one with a Z-Ring. The question that comes to mind is what the freaking hell took so long for the writers to give her, much less any Female protagonist, a 2nd Pokemon. Furthermore, when the heck is Mallow getting one? Remember Episode 39 TPC?! Also makes one question why they gave Sophocles a 2nd Pokemon back on Episode 26. The guy literally has contributed like virtually nothing and if you were to remove him from the series, little to nothing would change as I see it.

Btw, Dewpider is part Bug-Type. Possible hinting that our Team Skull leader might finally, and I mean finally make an appearance?

Years
Well if that's indeed true, then that's not surprising since of the three female protagonists, she's the only one with a Z-Ring. The question that comes to mind is what the freaking hell took so long for the writers to give her, much less any Female protagonist, a 2nd Pokemon. Furthermore, when the heck is Mallow getting one? Remember Episode 39 TPC?! Also makes one question why they gave Sophocles a 2nd Pokemon back on Episode 26. The guy literally has contributed like virtually nothing and if you were to remove him from the series, little to nothing would change as I see it.

Btw, Dewpider is part Bug-Type. Possible hinting that our Team Skull leader might finally, and I mean finally make an appearance?

As we know, Serena was currently the longest gap between obtaining their first and second Pokemon, so at least we know Lana is breaking that record since it will be 70 episodes exactly since her first appearance that she'll finally get her second permanent team member.

With previous female companions this was the gap between obtaining their first and second Pokemon:

May - 13 episodes (obtains Torchic in AG001, catches Wurmple in AG014)
Dawn - 8 episodes (obtains Piplup in DP001, catches Buneary in DP009)
Serena - 44 episodes (obtains Fennekin in XY003, catches Pancham in XY047)

I didn't include Misty because she already owned a lot of Pokemon prior to meeting Ash (likely due to her Gym Leader status) while Iris already owned two Pokemon when she debuted. While Lana did obtain Popplio prior to joining Ash's group, it was her only Pokemon technically under her ownership since Lapras was a ride Pokemon, which means she now overtakes Serena's gap of 44 episodes.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
As we know, Serena was currently the longest gap between obtaining their first and second Pokemon, so at least we know Lana is breaking that record since it will be 70 episodes exactly since her first appearance that she'll finally get her second permanent team member.

With previous female companions this was the gap between obtaining their first and second Pokemon:

May - 13 episodes (obtains Torchic in AG001, catches Wurmple in AG014)
Dawn - 8 episodes (obtains Piplup in DP001, catches Buneary in DP009)
Serena - 44 episodes (obtains Fennekin in XY003, catches Pancham in XY047)

I didn't include Misty because she already owned a lot of Pokemon prior to meeting Ash (likely due to her Gym Leader status) while Iris already owned two Pokemon when she debuted. While Lana did obtain Popplio prior to joining Ash's group, it was her only Pokemon technically under her ownership since Lapras was a ride Pokemon, which means she now overtakes Serena's gap of 44 episodes.

If you were to include Misty and Iris, they both caught their first Pokemon on Episode 19 and 24 of their respective first season(Horsea and Emolga to refresh your memory. Misty also got Psyduck on Episode 27). If you threw Bonnie into this list, she got her first Pokemon on Episode 3 but one can argue that she was in the same boat as Sophocles where someone else caught it for her. Anyways, Misty and Iris results are still well before Serena and WAY before Lana. The fact it took so long for a Female protagonist to get another Pokemon is another reason I just can't stand Sun and Moon. If there was any criticism of XY it was the lack of goal/directive for Serena early on(although one can argue that was purposely done for character growth) and a sheer lack of captures. Sun and Moon is basically that on steroids since instead of 1 Female with an underwhelming/unspecified goal, we now have three. Don't get me wrong, I really like Serena but the disrespect towards Female protagonists is certainly an ongoing theme since Black and White where Iris really got the short end of the stick.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Lana's always had Lapras...Dewpider would be her third.

Does Lana battle with it? No she doesn't. Only time she did was to save Popplio from Team Skull prior to Popplio becoming her partner. Lana's Lapras gets the same treatment as Kiawe's Charizard(which belonged to his Grandfather if memory serves).

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Does Lana battle with it? No she doesn't. Only time she did was to save Popplio from Team Skull prior to Popplio becoming her partner. Lana's Lapras gets the same treatment as Kiawe's Charizard(which belonged to his Grandfather if memory serves).

Does she own it? Yes.

That's the only relevant factor. It's like Misty's Goldeen. Not seen often because of its biology and adaptation to water, but still under the ownership of said trainer.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Does she own it? Yes.

That's the only relevant factor. It's like Misty's Goldeen. Not seen often because of its biology and adaptation to water, but still under the ownership of said trainer.

I'd argue her family owns it as opposed to Lana specifically(same deal with Kiawe's Charizard) but I suppose we can respectfully disagree. In any case, Lana catching Dewpider makes Episode 71 worth watching. Maybe with Lana catching one will spur Lillie and especially Mallow to catch a 2nd Pokemon. It's been roughly 30 Episodes since her lack of Pokemon was highlighted and still no 2nd Pokemon for Mallow.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
Since the newest episodes revolve a lot on ultra beast focus, do you think any of the others will capture an Ultra beast pokemon?

And Does anyone else want Jessie to get a Salazzle? and James a wimpod?

Last edited:
Years
So, that Dewpider episode turned out to be nothing but a lie.

Lana didn't even catch the darn thing, even though the line is her signature Pokemon in the games! I haven't been trolled by an episode title this badly since the Kalos League finale.

If CodeHelmet was reading this by now, he'll be even more mad that SM continues disappointing both of us. The fact that all three SM girls will likely go through their entire run with no second capture is becoming more and more of a probability.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years

Lana didn't even catch the darn thing, even though the line is her signature Pokemon in the games! I haven't been trolled by an episode title this badly since the Kalos League finale.

If CodeHelmet was reading this by now, he'll be even more mad that SM continues disappointing both of us. The fact that all three SM girls will likely go through their entire run with no second capture is becoming more and more of a probability.

I kinda figured this was going to happen again, which is why I didn't even bother to post about it this time around. As I said, I can't wait for this saga to end. I also hope they go back to how the show was written before, or they do a complete reboot with new characters. At this point, I wouldn't even mind if they went back and started in Kanto.

Or make an entire new saga where they focus more on story telling than collecting badges or something. Again the manga is a great idea to write, but maybe make new characters and new storylines. Heck even a show based on Detective Pikachu would be better than what we got, and honestly, Detective Pikachu is awesome.

I have defended the show for a long time and I still will, unless we continue with this Alola stuff. Some of the episodes are great. I love all the misc episodes with the competitions like the Pancake Race, Baseball, ect.... but omg... I have never seen a show with such horrendous development like I am with Alola Series. Not to mention the opening of the english dub, the newest one, is hard to listen to.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

I haven?t seen the Episode yet but deep down I had a suspicion that this would be the result. God I hate it when my gut instinct turns out to be right. Not only is Alola the worst series but it makes Black and White look like Diamond and Pearl by comparison.

I?m with IcyIce that Alola needs to end already but it won?t any time soon because Ash has yet to even go to Ula?Ula or Poni Island for their respective Grand Trials. Heck Guzma and Team Skull have yet to truly make their grand entrance. Let?s also not forget about Team Rocket thanks to that Alolan Meowth wherein I think they have a role to play regarding the Ultra Beasts(using them to try and take over the world).

I also agree with IcyIce that I?d love to see another Kanto series since Ash promised back in Season 1 that he?d return. SM42 gave us the Ash/Misty rematch we?ve all wanted but deep down we all want more. We want him to face Brock(or Forrest), Lt.Surge, Erika, Sabrina, Janine(since Koga retired?), Blaine and the new Viridian Gym Leader(*cough Gary Oak cough*). Heck let?s throw the Kanto Battle Frontier again with Ash using three old Pokemon that he hasn?t seen in years: Butterfree, Primeape and Pidgeot. He also gets reacquainted with Haunter who actually joins Ash?s team instead of making Sabrina laugh. To round out his Kanto team with Pikachu, let?s bring back an old Kanto staple: Charizard. As for traveling companions... who better than the ones from Kalos?

Forgot to add: How many shots are you going to take after this latest Troll Episode Hikamaru?

Also I had a dream that Bonnie did her Wife gag with Misty. Not sure what to make of it but I think she?d have the same reaction as the boy who asked her out on a date.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
I am upset that Lana didn't catch Dewpider. I hope that she doesn't become the first main character to never have a single team change.

Back