• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Best front/back sprite editor for Pokemon Gold/Silver?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Since I recently released a demo version here (goes to the Indigo Plateau) of my game Pokemon Metallic, I've been thinking about my next project while I finish up the work left for Metallic. I would really love to know a good sprite editor for Pokemon since I'm considering redesigning some original Pokemon to new types. For example, I would love to make a sprite for a fire-type bird such as Dodrio by editing in some red and flames to the body. Anyone familiar with a program that does that?
On a side note: I'd also love to know of a script editor.
Thanks in advance, I'm new to rom hacking and the PokeCommunity.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I've been looking for a tool that imports sprites into Pokémon Gold since I began hacking. I haven't found one yet. I know with a disassembly, you enter some sort of code, but I'm not good with disassemblies. I'd really like to find a tool like this, so I'll be watching this thread =)

Let's keep fingers crossed that someone knows the answers here! :p

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I only know of UNLZ-GBA but its obviously for GBA games, which GSC is GBC :<

Definitely curious about this too (though I don't plan on hacking Gen 2)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I only know of UNLZ-GBA but its obviously for GBA games, which GSC is GBC :<

Definitely curious about this too (though I don't plan on hacking Gen 2)

I?ve been trying to find one since I started hacking Gold, and I have yet to find one. I know it?s possible bc of other people?s hacks but no one has come forward and told me of a gen 2 sprite editor, just 3+. . :(

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I?ve been trying to find one since I started hacking Gold, and I have yet to find one. I know it?s possible bc of other people?s hacks but no one has come forward and told me of a gen 2 sprite editor, just 3+. . :(

That's exactly an issue I'm having with my hack. I'm wanting to increase he Shiny spawnrate in FR without TSK's tool - I want to edit the formula directly to change which results of the formula can be shiny. No one has mentioned how to do it yet, only that it CAN be done that way, but that information is doubly useless when

a) I already know it can be done because that's really obvious
and
b)that doesn't tell me how to do it lol

Either way, I wish you luck in getting help with your issue :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
That's exactly an issue I'm having with my hack. I'm wanting to increase he Shiny spawnrate in FR without TSK's tool - I want to edit the formula directly to change which results of the formula can be shiny. No one has mentioned how to do it yet, only that it CAN be done that way, but that information is doubly useless when

a) I already know it can be done because that's really obvious
and
b)that doesn't tell me how to do it lol

Either way, I wish you luck in getting help with your issue :)

I've seen it done in XY Naturia and Polished Crystal (ROM hacks). I know the creator of Polished Crystal, Rangi, uses the disassembly to change sprites.

Well it seems to me that we're all in the same boat with our hacks lol. Disassembly sounds super difficult and I don't know if I would be able to do that considering I'm not good/experienced with coding and I'm super new to making my own rom hacks. It sucks that all we know is that it's possible, not how to actually do it. If you guys ever discover something that would help me out, please let me know. I've really wanted to make some of my own pokemon mash-up sprites and put them into the game.
Good luck to both of you. :)

Years
[sigh]so no one ever made a advance series gbc edition? then again the animation part would be difficult to program. there are SO many frames. even more then gen 3![7 probably vs 2]

Back