• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Years
So I saw the first episode of this show a little while back. Am interested in getting into it full swing, there are just too many episodes and I feel a little overwhelmed with catching up. It's really really popular though.. the high MAL rating surprises me, even for MAL standards 9* is very high. have any of you guys seen it? Would you recommend I keep watching? Is it like OP/Naruto where there are a lot of fillers that can be skipped? I'd rather not skip any episodes but if they're tedious and dragged out arcs then I'd like to know before I get into it lol.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Hunter X Hunter is fantastic! There's no filler episode that I remember. Maybe like 1 or 2 flashback episodes but that's it. Very well written series with phenomenal art and animation. Made by Yoshihiro Togashi, the guy behind another great manga/anime series Yu Yu Hakusho. The manga is still ongoing but gets a lot of flak for always going on hiatus (which is true). However, the anime ends on a good note while the manga went on to a new arc so you can watch the anime and feel satisfied with a beginning and an ending. Honestly the anime truly gets better the more you watch. (it also gets pretty dark too)

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
It's a very good anime, in fact it is better than most of shonen anime out there. The story is character driven with excellent writing and the art and animation is good as well. I don't read or watch a lot of anime or manga but Hunter x Hunter is one of the best I've seen and deserves all the praise it gets. The battles also have depth and thinking into them and isn't the average brute force battles you'd find in other shonen. Even the minor characters in HxH are well written and important to the story.

Last edited:
Years
Just what above users said...it's awesome. Looks can be deceiving sometime, it gets dark real fast. Every anime which has 100+ episode contain first 10, 20 episode as character development, introducing new character so they always seems quite slow at start but I found HxH well paced. There are really no fillers but if you really want to skip something I found greed game arc boring, just read some important chapter from manga. Other than that everything is pretty cool.

Years
Thanks a lot guys. I caved. Only on episode 5 atm but I went through all of these tonight and like it a lot so far. Even though it's very early on, the series already has a different feel to other shonens I've seen.

killua is quite cute <3

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I love Hunter x Hunter! I was hesitant to watch it at first as well due to the number of episodes. I really think it does deserve the high rating though - usually I become disinterested when watching such a long series but I find H x H a very entertaining watch. I'm currently on Episode 86 but every episode I've watched has been fantastic. I haven't been bored once. I would say stick with it and keep watching, it really is a gem. :)

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I only watched the original one, so I know I'm missing a lot of fun.
Is it really worth it to watch it from scratch or should I start from the "next" arc within the anime continuity?

Years
just wanted to update you guys!! I finished episode 44 last night and am very very eager to continue this weekend. Wasn't able to watch for a few weeks because of stress so it was nice being able to watch again. Currently on the Phantom Troupe/Yorknew Auction arc and I wanna say this is my favorite one so far. I know it's still far off, but I'll be sad when I complete this series (????`)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Surprised people are saying how well written it is, the later seasons have huge pacing issues and drag things out loads. When the action finally starts it is very good though. :).

Years
@Pete, yeah, I see what you mean. The Chimera Ant arc had some pacing issues and definitely could've been condensed a little more! Regardless...

I'm done. Since Saturday of last week I've picked up and watched over 100 episodes. Finished 148 today. Chimera Ant arc tore through my soul ten times over =( and I'm not sure how long I'll take to recover lol, since I'm weak emotionally like that. These characters are just too perfect, and besides the pacing issues in some arcs, it is an absolute masterpiece. Although the manga isn't as reliable with updates, I'll be keeping up to date with that from now on.

Is it really worth it to watch it from scratch or should I start from the "next" arc within the anime continuity?

I've heard the original was good too, but people say there's a lot of censoring? Which doesn't make sense given how bloody the later arcs are. Apparently there are some decent filler eps in the original that give characters a bit of development too. But the 2011 version has stunning art and is amazing in its own right as far as story goes.

Last edited:

Denrew

Pokémon Fan
Years
Love the first released of this anime on 1999 and became my most favorite of all
anime. The HxH 2011 amazed me more and watched it till the Chimera Ant arc. But
when the Anime ended in Chimera Ant Arc, I started reading the manga instead.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
100 episodes. Finished 148 today. Chimera Ant arc tore through my soul ten times over =( and I'm not sure how long I'll take to recover lol, since I'm weak emotionally like that. These characters are just too perfect, and besides the pacing issues in some arcs, it is an absolute masterpiece. Although the manga isn't as reliable with updates, I'll be keeping up to date with that from now on.

;~;
It was SO GOOD BUT SO SAD OMG

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 10, 2018
i just finish it this week i watch 1999 and 2011 and i highly recomond it
its soo good

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I quit about 40 episodes in. It was typical charming Togashi until Nen was shoehorned in and totally altered the charm.

I sat through the Phantom arc, or whatever it is, that was critically acclaimed and didn't like it either. I couldn't take anymore past that.

It's got a pretty poor narrative structure, to be honest.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I quit about 40 episodes in. It was typical charming Togashi until Nen was shoehorned in and totally altered the charm.

I sat through the Phantom arc, or whatever it is, that was critically acclaimed and didn't like it either. I couldn't take anymore past that.

It's got a pretty poor narrative structure, to be honest.

The nen system is polished and well made. I admit Heaven's Arena arc where nen is introduced is a little dull but the nen abilities make the fight scenes more interesting to watch.

The characters are likable as well, the narrative structure isn't the best since Togashi goes on and off on hiatuses all the time, but I think the characters make up for that, his plots are pretty character driven.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The nen system is polished and well made. I admit Heaven's Arena arc where nen is introduced is a little dull but the nen abilities make the fight scenes more interesting to watch.

The characters are likable as well, the narrative structure isn't the best since Togashi goes on and off on hiatuses all the time, but I think the characters make up for that, his plots are pretty character driven.

I agree that the Nen system had a lot of interesting ideas and was well implemented... but, it completely took away the fun I was having with the series.

Also, I found myself really not caring after everyone became Hunters. The whole Phantom thing was boring, the game thing was utterly stupid and yeah, I zoned out.

Nen's inclusion and that whole tournament is when it started going downhill for me.

Togashi is a great writer, and think his work of Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the finest examples of shonen series around, but man, he really dropped the ball with HxH for me.

You don't have to agree; this is just my opinion.

Years
Hey there,
HxH is literally, and in all objectivity, one of the best mangas/animes of all time. Its mangaka, Yoshihiro Togashi, is a genius! (as much genius as he is ill...)
The 2011 remake of the anime has just 150 total episodes (nothing compared to those nearly-endless animes you mentioned) with only like 4 fillers which are no less interesting to watch than the rest of the episodes.
Personally, HxH is one of my top 3 animes, and as such I highly recommend it!

Back