• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
When you catch/receive a Pokémon, the 31 IV is generated at random, as do all other IVs.

You have a higher chance of getting 31 IVs when you're breeding at least 1 parent that has a 31 IV (1 IV from each parent is randomly chosen and passed down, along with a third chosen by a random parent, to the offspring; the other 3 IVs are randomly generated). To guarantee that the IV will be passed down, have the parent hold the appropriate Power item:
-Power Weight = HP
-Power Bracer = Attack
-Power Belt = Defense
-Power Lens = Special Attack
-Power Band = Special Defense
-Power Anklet = Speed

Can breeding ditto be applied?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Basically, this is how it works.

1. IVs are randomly generated.
2. 1 random IV from one parent is passed down to the egg (1 can be specific using power item).
3. 1 random IV from other parent is passed down to the egg (1 cam be specific using power item).
4. 1 final random IV from one of the parents is passed down.
5. Voila! Egg is hatched and baby has at least 1 IV passed from parents! If it's super lucky, 3.

Ditto counts as a parent.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Basically, this is how it works.

1. IVs are randomly generated.
2. 1 random IV from one parent is passed down to the egg (1 can be specific using power item).
3. 1 random IV from other parent is passed down to the egg (1 cam be specific using power item).
4. 1 final random IV from one of the parents is passed down.
5. Voila! Egg is hatched and baby has at least 1 IV passed from parents! If it's super lucky, 3.

Ditto counts as a parent.

If you use one power item each will both IVs be passed down?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you use one power item each will both IVs be passed down?

If that's the case, only one or the other of those IVs can be passed down. For example, if one parent holds the Power Bracer, and the other holds the Power Anklet, there's a 50/50 chance that only one will be passed down.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
If that's the case, only one or the other of those IVs can be passed down. For example, if one parent holds the Power Bracer, and the other holds the Power Anklet, there's a 50/50 chance that only one will be passed down.

Does the IV of one of the parents have to be high to get the max IV possible? or is the Power items enough

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
IV Breeding

Hey everyone. I have a problem... For my competitive team, I need to pass down 2 perfect IVs to each pokemon so I can get out their best potential. Step by step, what would be the quickest way to do this WITH A PERFECT DITTO? (Give an example pokemon you are aiming to breed in your example and go through each step in numbered order). I know this may seem like a lot, but I want to understand how to breed IVs, and the internet is not helping with this at all. Thanks...

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
1. Breed Ditto (holding a power item, specific power items pass specific IV) to desired pokemon until female with correct nature pops out. Nature and IV passed.
2. Breed Ditto (holding different power item) to offspring (holding yet another power item) until male hatches. IV (if you're lucky, 2) passed. Total: Female with correct nature and 1 IV, male with 1 or 2 IVs.
3. Breed both offspring to each other, male holding a power item, female holding the everstone. Keep breeding until offspring with desired nature and IVs hatch. End result: offspring with 2 (maybe 3) IVs.

Or you can do the easy thing and trade for flawless parents and breed them to each other.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
1. Breed Ditto (holding a power item, specific power items pass specific IV) to desired pokemon until female with correct nature pops out. Nature and IV passed.
2. Breed Ditto (holding different power item) to offspring (holding yet another power item) until male hatches. IV (if you're lucky, 2) passed. Total: Female with correct nature and 1 IV, male with 1 or 2 IVs.
3. Breed both offspring to each other, male holding a power item, female holding the everstone. Keep breeding until offspring with desired nature and IVs hatch. End result: offspring with 2 (maybe 3) IVs.

Or you can do the easy thing and trade for flawless parents and breed them to each other.

I have one flawless japanese ditto...But anyways, I thought if both parents hold a power item then the offspring would have one or the other. NOT both. Well, at least that's what this says... It's in the last paragraph of the section Power Items. So, is the conclusion I'm assuming correct or am I ill informed?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Errm. Depends on whether you're using BW or BW2. The breeding mechanics got changed a bit in BW2 (and, truthfully, I still have yet to update myself). I never needed to use two power items in breeding so I can't confirm it. If it's true, then the second step will have to be modified, mainly to breed the Ditto with a power item to get a male with 1 IV and hope breeding the two offspring will pass the IVs. If you're doing it this way, you're likely to get 10 or more boxes of pokemon until you finally get what you need. Ah, the life of a non-rng breeder.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
hello i want to know what moves u would recommend for these 6 pokes, for my competive online battle team. the poke r zapdose, milotic, metagross, hitmonchan,gengar, typhlosion

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
hello i want to know what moves u would recommend for these 6 pokes, for my competive online battle team. the poke r zapdose, milotic, metagross, hitmonchan,gengar, typhlosion

You're better off coming up with your own movesets, rather than asking someone to recommend your whole movesets, as this is for incomplete team help, rather than barely started team help. Adding to that, those Pokemon aren't really in the same tiers, and for competitive battling you're better off with checking out the different tiers and getting Pokemon from those tiers only (for example Typhlosion is in RU and is quite terrible for OU) because the tier your Pokemon are going into is OU because of Gengar and so on. Have a read about the Pokemon in the different tiers here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/ and then decide on some in the same tiers. Usually Smogon goes by OverUsed, while here we mainly play NeverUsed (NU). If this is via wifi, then generally you'd be using a mix of mostly OU and UU Pokemon. Nevertheless, we can't actually put together movesets until you have an idea of what you want, so you should look through the tiers, come up with a strategy, post an Rate My Team thread in this main forum (with all the necessary things, as mentioned in the rules) and then we'll reply to it suggesting things based on the movesets listed. :)

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
hmmm. never thought about that, what i making was a team that cover most bases, while providing the least number of total weakness, while still allowing the pokes to be higly effect in their moves.

qustion y is ru bad for ou

well i read the articiles on the catgory's thing and was confused a bit, i understand the basices of each catgory

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
hmmm. never thought about that, what i making was a team that cover most bases, while providing the least number of total weakness, while still allowing the pokes to be higly effect in their moves.

qustion y is ru bad for ou

Well you can still get that in the tiers, for example there are different cores that work well in different tiers, such as Alomomola/Amoonguss which cover a few bases in NeverUsed, and so on. Your teams should be prepared to take on the metagame and should be able to cover specific threats in the metagame you made the team for. In OU for example, having something to take on Terrakion can be important because it can prove to be a great threat if given the chance. You need things to cover things like that, not specific typings.

Because generally Pokemon fit in a tier they're good at, like, in OU you have Heatran because it can check a variety of things while Typhlosion can't really do that and is beaten by a lot of the tier with their abilities, team mate combinations and so on. It's a bit confusing to understand now, but the best way is to learn through trying things and seeing how it works, and soon you'll want to use the Pokemon in the tier you're battling in for the most part.

Also which part confused you about the categories/tiers?

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
well can u help by at least telling me where most of myteam stands. like is most of my poke in the under used or over used teirs

and what teir can be okay to cross and maybe mix with just a little

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
well can u help by at least telling me where most of myteam stands. like is most of my poke in the under used or over used teirs

Hitmonchan - RU
Gengar - OU
Typhlosion - RU
Zapdos - UU
Milotic - UU
Metagross - OU

It depends on what tier you wanna play in, really. If you want to get into our community here you're best off with NU, if you want the general community, then OU. It's okay to have UU/OU mons in OU, NU in RU, RU in UU, etc. So for everything it's usually one tier below although usually using what's actually in the tier is best though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

If your team is mixed with OU and UU 'mons, then your team is OU by default. This is the best I can explain this situation to you.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Here's a breakdown of what tiers your Pokemon fall into : Zapdos is UU, Milotic is UU, Metagross is OU, Hitmonchan is RU, Gengar is OU, and Typhlosion is RU. So you have a pretty even split. Like Forever explained, the Pokemon have already been grouped by strength, strategy, counters, etc. So Pokemon in UU and RU wouldn't do well in the OU tier, and Pokemon in OU or UU cannot play in RU.

Here's a more detailed example : Say you want to play in RU (Hitmonchan and Typhlosion fit here). That would mean that Zapdos, Milotic, Gengar, and Metagross could not be used.

Now say you want to play OU : All of your Pokemon can be used, but everything except Metagross and Gengar would have a very hard time.

So all of your Pokemon can technically be mixed and matched into different tiers than they would normally play. However, it can only go from weaker to stronger tiers (RU Pokemon can be used in OU), not from stronger to weaker (OU Pokemon cannot be used in RU). If you'd like more information on tiers, here is a link to Smogon's Tier System and how it all works.

Hope that helped!

EDIT : omg everyone got to this first lol

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
okay, now that makes a little more sense, when u break it and i should post now, that im very good at bluiding teams so more help would be really nice

so when considering pokes what general qustions should i be asking myself and it seems whenever i battle i rely heavy on metagross and Typhlosion, do u think theres any way i could bluid a team around metagross at least

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
okay, now that makes a little more sense, when u break it.

so when considering pokes what general qustions should i be asking myself and it seems whenever i battle i rely heavy on metagross and Typhlosion, do u think theres any way i could bluid a team around metagross at least

Dragon Pokemon work well with Metagross, especially Lati@s, Dragonite, Hydreigon and Salamence. They can easily switch into the Fire and Ground attacks that Metagross is weak to by virtue of their typings and abilities (Lati@s and Hydreigon have Levitate, as they are Dragon/Psychic and Dark/Dragon, respectively; Dragonite and Salamence are Dragon/Flying). Also, Typhlosion isn't viable in OU play because of its Stealth Rock weakness, which diminishes the power of Eruption, should you choose to use it.

Here are a some viable sets for each:

Latias:
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Substitute/Psyshock/Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs

or