• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Pokemon Moon Firemono update: Blazing a trail through the aether foundation

Spoiler:

Current Team
Spoiler:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Pearl Steeeeeeeel Mono UPDATE 2
Badges: 2/8

Things that happened:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Just finished my first Monotype (not logged here), a Bug Monotype in Emerald where I even defeated Steven and I really enjoyed it (BP shenanigans are great), so let's do another monotype!

Forum User Name: Skystrike
Game: Leaf Green
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

-------
Update 1

Spoiler:

Team:
charmeleon.png

-------
Update 2

Spoiler:

Team:
charmeleon.png

-------
Update 3

Spoiler:

Team:
charizard.png
vulpix.png

Last edited:
Years
Here comes a very big update!

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Sun.

3. Pokémon Sigma Σmerald Fighting Monotype update No. 7!

It took me so long, but at last!!

qSrVHAq.png

Grinding everyone up to level 70 for the E4 rematches (they have lv 70+ Pokémon in this hack) has been a nightmare. It was done with rematches at Route 117, where trainers had lv 47-51 Pokémon, and the Pokémon Breeders gave a lot of experience. After this, I went to challenge the E4 again...

First up was Sidney. Sharpedo Vs. Breloom. He hit me with Poison Fang, and I got poisoned, but Seed Bomb destroyed it. He sent Tyranitar, and with Drain Punch I healed the damage Sharpedo made while beating it! Hitmontop, with Fake Out + Brick Break, defeated Absol, and with Protect to get the Speed Boost and Flamethrower, Blaziken took Shiftry down. Finally, after flinching due to Needle Arm, Hariyama beat Cacturne with a single Brick Break.

Next up was Phoebe! 2 Knock Off from Hariyama defeated the Dusclops, who used Future Sight. Blaziken suffered to beat Banette due to Psychic and the Future Sight attack, but with 2 Flamethrowers after the heal he got the job done. Breloom had to suffer a Thunder Wave and a Pain Split from Misdreavus, but 2 Seed Bombs were enough to take it down. 3 Knock Off from Hariyama beat Dusclops, and with 2 Surfs, even after the Berry heal, Poliwrath defeated Sableye. Her final Pokémon was, of course, a Gengar! She outsped and beat Medicham with Shadow Ball, and Blaziken also fell despite the Protect + Overheat almost beating it. Hariyama came out and with 2 Knock Off (the second with Quick Claw helping!) beat Gengar after the heal.

Glacia was next, and it started badly... Lapras survived Seed Bomb with almost nothing and beat Breloom with Ice Beam.

RNwgnaD.png

Medicham avenged Breloom beating Lapras with Hi Jump Kick after the heal. Blaziken, with Protect + Flamethrower, destroyed Jynx, and after Jynx a Cloyster came and it could not survive my Overheat. With Hi Jump Kick again, Medicham beat Walrein. Hariyama needed a few Brick Breaks due to Glalie using Protect every time, but in the end she took it down. Finally, Hitmontop defeated Dewgong with Fake Out and a Critical Brick Break.

Next up was Drake, who was a nigthmare the first time I faced him and I expected this one to be no different... and I wasn't wrong. He sent Altaria Vs. my Poliwrath, and hit me with Moonblast. My Ice Beam didn't kill, and he healed. I was then very lucky! Ice Beam froze Altaria and Poliwrath beat it with 2 Ice Beams. Moxie Salamence was next. Hariyama, with Fake Out + Rock Tomb, slowed it down before falling to Aerial Ace, and then Medicham outsped and beat it with Ice Punch. He sent Kingdra. With Yawn he forced me to switch a lot, and in one of the switches he destroyed Breloom with Ice Beam. I kept using Hitmontop and Brick Break, weakening him, but then... he switched out and sent... ANOTHER SALAMENCE!!!!! A lv 75 one, and again with Moxie. He proceeded, without missing a single attack, to sweep my whole team with Dragon Rush, Aqua Tail and Zen Headbutt. I was in shock and didn't react, so I lost...

I'll try again soon and my next update will focus on that!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 8.

Current Location: Ever Grande City (Pokémon League).

Number of losses: 1.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I started my challenge a couple of days ago.

I'm starting with Monotype Ground on Leaf Green.

Part 1:
Spoiler:

Team:
nidoqueen.png
nidoking.png
geodude.png
sandshrew.png
dugtrio.png

Last edited:

Skystrike

Years
Update 4
Spoiler:

Team:
charizard.png
vulpix.png
flareon.png

--------
Update 5
Spoiler:

Team:
charizard.png
ninetales.png
flareon.png

growlithe.png

Last edited:

Pave Low2

Everything
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2018
Forum User Name: Octane
Game(s): Platinum
Pokémon Type: Steel
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Years
This run is over!!

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Sun.

3. Pokémon Sigma Σmerald Fighting Monotype update No. 8!

If you read my previous update, you'll see my team fell to Drake in the E4 rematches. I prepared better for the battles (still no Battle Items like X Attack, I like winning with my Pokémon moves!) I grinded everyone up to lv 73 (the Salamence that beat me was lv 75), and took the E4 challenge again. Not going to talk here about Sidney, Phoebe and Glacia, they went pretty smoothly, a remarkable moment was that with the 3 levels he has gained Blaziken beat Gengar with a single Overheat, so I didn't rely on Quick Claw with Hariyama this time. So I arrived at Drake again! I taught Blaziken Rock Tomb for the battle, to slow down his Pokémon just in case Hariyama couldn't do it. With Protect and Speed Boost, he will outspeed Drake's whole team. Well, time to have my REVENGE!

The battle started very well! Medicham beat both Altaria and one of the Salamences with Ice Punch, she outsped both and destroyed them with Ice Punch! Kingdra was next, and the same thing as the last time happened. After taking 2 Brick Breaks from Hitmontop, he switched out to Salamence, the strong one. I sent Hariyama and was lucky because Zen Headbutt missed. Before falling, Hariyama slowed it down with Rock Tomb, allowing Medicham to beat it with Ice Punch... So I got past the moment that made me fall last time! We go on! Kingdra came back, but he was weakened. He used Dragon Pulse but didn't defeat Medicham, and with Zen Headbutt, it was taken down. Flygon was next, and he was easy for Poliwrath, because he did little damage. After 2 heals, 2 Ice Beams were enough. And time for his last Pokémon, Dragonite!! Blaziken fell to 2 Outrages but slowed it down and also weakened it with Rock Tomb and Overhead (with a crit from the former). With him slowed down, Poliwrath finished it off with Ice Beam! So I beat Drake!

lX2FfDi.png

But of course this was not over, Wallace was waiting! I didn't make the same mistake like last time, I knew it was Wallace and not Steven, and therefore equipped a Magnet to Medicham and sent Breloom first to beat Wailord with Seed Bomb. The Wailord was lv 78, so yeah, high levels here! And he sent a Lv 80!!! Milotic I tried to beat it with Medi but he was faster and survived the ThunderPunch. I had to sent Poli, who was not afraid of any of his attacks, only Toxic, which made me heal once. Little by little, he fell to a few Brick Breaks. Team work was used to beat Ludicolo! A few Brick Breaks from Hariyama, who took a lot of damage from Surf, were not enough, so I sent Poliwrath to take Surf with Water Absorb, and then Blaziken to take the predicted Grass attack (Energy Ball). Protect + Overheat (he was weakened) and bye bye Ludicolo! Whiscash was a pushover (why does he have it?), a Seed Bomb from Breloom was enough to beat it. And again, Hitmontop Vs. Tentacruel like last time! This time it was much easier, I survived comfortably the Hydro Pump + Toxic combination and beat it with Earthquake. You can compare!

Z1vRRbE.png
1mYS7Nl.png

Gyarados was his final Pokémon and had to face my whole alive team to win. Medicham took it down with 2 ThunderPunches after an Icy Wind (lol), a couple of heals, and a desperate attempt to set up Dragon Dance. So I AM THE CHAMPION (again)!!

U3o4vUL.png

And finally, the last battle of the game, Steven. I was curious to see the levels in this hack, I thought he was going to have lv 90 Pokémon or something, but he didn't, he was in fact weaker than Wallace, and with Fighting-types the battle was extremely easy!

Blaziken beat Skarmory with a single Flamethrower, and Breloom did the same with Aggron with Drain Punch. Medicham came and destroyed his Cradily with Hi Jump Kick. His most troublesome Pokémon was Claydol, who used Reflect, and hit Breloom with Psychic, leaving her with 23 HP, but 2 Seed Bombs defeated it. Metagross (lv 79) was taken down by Blaziken. He attempted to use Earthquake but I had used Protect, and after that a single Overheat beat it. Finally, Poliwrath beat Armaldo with 2 Surfs, surviving a weak Crush Claw first. Sadly, I forgot to take a picture from this battle... But yeah, challenge complete!!

I am having very long challenges, HeartGold was very long and this one was too. The grinding for the E4 rematches has been a nightmare, thankfully VBA-M makes things go much faster. The final in-game time was 78:39 (in HeartGold I checked it and it was 78:32 xD), but with the speed-up button it was much less than that. I have to say that again my Fighting-type team has lacked Speed, and that was problematic in a few battles. It was cool that the TM you get in the first gym, Rock Tomb, was so useful in important battles. The mechanics of reusable TMs of the hack helped me a lot. Time to talk about the team!

Blaziken was my starter and a solid member throughout the whole game. His Blaze Kick and Sky Uppercut have missed quite a lot, so I ended up using Flamethrower and Brick Break! His Overheat has been insanely powerful and has helped me take down some very strong and sturdy opponents. With Speed Boost, he was also the fastest in the team, and this helped also against fast opponent thanks to the use of Protect.

Breloom, in my opinion, has been the best Pokémon in the run. She didn't have the best coverage moves, being unable to hit Poison and Bug-types, but he helped me catch a lot of Pokémon with Stun Spore, her priority with Mach Punch was pretty nice, and most importantly, she was extremely strong, the strongest Pokémon in the team with cool moves like Drain Punch, Bullet Seed and Seed Bomb throughout the game.

Hariyama arrived at the team much earlier than in HeartGold, so I enjoyed her a lot more. She was very bulky, and despite being slow, with the Quick Claw and key moves like Knock Off and Rock Tomb, she remained helpful during the whole game.

Ah... Poliwrath again in my team! Very useful for HMs, I prefered having her than a HM Slave. Her Water attacks has been useful during the whole game, and Ice Beam was important in some battles as well. She was also very hard to take down with Water-types, something Wallace's Milotic suffered!

And Hitmontop rounded the circle! I had Hitmonlee in Yellow, and Hitmonchan in HeartGold, so it was Hitmontop's turn to shine! He was quite weak but did pretty well thanks to balanced stats and Intimidate. His moves like Fake Out, Brick Break or Earthquake have been helpful and put to good use. So yeah, pretty happy with this Pokémon!

And finally, a powerhouse, the last Pokémon to join the team, Medicham! His moveset was amazing and easy to teach with Heart Scales. BoltBeam coverage and 2 great and powerful STAB moves, what more could I ask for? A bit more of Speed maybe, but Hariyama did that job for him with Rock Tomb. Medicham has been pretty important, his Hi Jump Kick (when it doesn't miss!) is insane, and with his coverage and power he has beaten many important Pokémon, like some of Drake's dragons!

So that's it! Quite a cool run, not as fun as the HeartGold one in my opinion, but close to it, which is great! I am quite happy with how things are going, really enjoying Fighting-types, they are making me think a lot, I recommend this type to everyone! Next up will be Platinum! Here is the final team, without spoiler, of course, it's the final update and they deserve to be seen!

Final team:

Lv 74
Spr_3e_257.png
(M) @ Charcoal. Speed Boost.
Mild Nature. Brick Break, Protect, Flamethrower, Overheat.

Lv 73
Spr_3e_286.png
(F) @ Miracle Seed. Effect Spore.
Adamant Nature. Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, Stun Spore, Mach Punch.

Lv 73
Spr_3e_297.png
(F) @ Quick Claw. Guts.
Hardy Nature. Brick Break, Fake Out, Rock Tomb, Knock Off.

Lv 73
Spr_3e_062.png
(F) @ Mystic Water. Water Absorb.
Gentle Nature. Surf, Ice Beam, Waterfall, Brick Break.

Lv 73
Spr_3e_237.png
(M) @ Leftovers. Intimidate.
Naive Nature. Strength, Fake Out, Brick Break, Earthquake.

Lv 75
Spr_3e_308.png
(M) @ Magnet. Pure Power.
Bashful Nature. Zen Headbutt, Hi Jump Kick, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch.

Number of losses: 1.

So as I said Platinum is next! Chimchar and his friends will do their best there!

Last edited:

Skystrike

Years
Update 6
Spoiler:

Team:
charizard.png
ninetales.png
flareon.png

growlithe.png

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Part 2:
Spoiler:

Team:
nidoqueen.png
nidoking.png
graveler.png
sandslash.png
dugtrio.png

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Update #1
Mari | Pokemon Crystal
50px-Zephyr_Badge.png
50px-Hive_Badge.png
50px-Plain_Badge.png
50px-Fog_Badge.png

Normally I update before this but I haven't been on the computer. For the most part I'm sticking with Johto Pokemon with the exception of the Igglybuff that I got from the Odd Egg (for being Shiny haha). Everything has been pretty smooth so far! I'm actually in Mahogany Town right now fighting Team Rocket rather than going and beating the Cianwood City gym. Figured going and beating the ice gym would be easier than fighting the steel and fighting gyms so I'll backtrack and do those after. Yay for GSC not being so streamlined.

One thing I am doing is holding off on training Igglybuff until it's friendship is higher from running around and grooming. There's a move that I want as Jigglypuff by level 14 so don't want it to get any higher than that. Thus why it's still so low leveled.

furret.gif

Adrien (Furret) ♂ | Level 24
Thunderpunch, Surf, Quick Attack, Fury Attack

dunsparce.gif

Mylene (Dunsparce) ♀ | Level 24 | Quick Claw
Rage, Defense Curl, Glare, Spite

granbull.gif

Alan (Granbull) ♂ | Level 28
Tackle, Lick, Bite, Fire Punch

togetic.gif

Lyra (Togetic) ♀ | Level 23 | Bitter Berry
Swift, Charm, Metronome, Sweet Kiss

miltank.gif

Millie (Miltank) ♀ | Level 23 | Ice Berry
Tackle, Milk Drink, Ice Punch, Stomp

igglybuff.gif

Pixie (Igglybuff) ♀ | Level 6
Sing, Charm, Dizzy Punch

Skystrike

Years
Update 7
Spoiler:

Team:
charizard.png
ninetales.png
flareon.png
growlithe.png
magmar.png

-------
Update 8
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
My Ultimate Poison challenge is progressing slowly, I'll post an update later.
Right now, though, I want to start a brand new Ultimate Challenge.

Forum User Name: curelixir
Game(s): LeafGreen, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, X, Moon
Pokémon Type: Grass
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

I've actually finished the Kanto part of this challenge already, since I was bored last night. I don't want to type down every single detail, but in the end, Exeggutor and Parasect were the MVPs. Exeggutor was so ridiculously helpful once I taught it Psychic. Here's what my final team ended up being.

qikpxrl.png

Spr_3f_103.png

Exeggutor | Lvl 58
Psychic | Confusion | Egg Bomb | Giga Drain

Spr_3f_071.png

Victreebel | Lvl 55
Razor Leaf | Acid | PoisonPowder | Thief

Spr_3f_003.png

Venusaur | Lvl 56
Earthquake | Razor Leaf | Synthesis | Strength

Spr_3f_047.png

Parasect | Lvl 58
Slash | Giga Drain | Dig | Aerial Ace

Pave Low2

Everything
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2018
Steel Monotype - Platinum
Badges: 4/8

Must have spent about 30 minutes trying to catch a Bronzor with Metal Coat to evolve Onix into Steelix. Realised soon after that I'll need another for Scyther to evolve but I might just wait to get to the Iron Island instead of trying to catch another Bronzor with Metal Coat. This has been going quite smoothly, this monotype. There is decent coverage and I'm still hoping to add Magnezone and Probopass to the final roster. None of the gyms were too hard, the 4th maybe the hardest because of the weakness, but Scyther had that sorted out with Wing Attack.

Team
Spr_4p_437.png

Mith | Level 33 w/ Levitate
Lax
Extrasensory | Hypnosis
Iron Defense | Confuse Ray

Spr_4p_208_m.png

Sith | Level 31 w/ Sturdy
Impish
Rock Polish | Slam
Sandstorm | Rock Throw

Spr_4p_395.png

Bith | Level 36 w/ Torrent
Relaxed
Aqua Jet | Aerial Ace
Bubblebeam | Metal Claw

Spr_4p_123_m.png

Spith | Level 33 w/ Swarm
Adamant
Steel Wing | Razor Wind
Slash | Wing Attack

Screens
Spoiler:

Skystrike

Years
Update 9
Spoiler:

Final Team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2023
Are we allowed to use ROMhacks that overhaul types like Agastya's Touhoumon Purple for our challenge? Google "Touhoumon wiki" if you need to check it out, or just download the hack and play it yourself.

Forum User Name: Heemi
Game(s): Touhoumon Purple (Pokemon Emerald)
Pokémon--er, Puppet Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single (Mark this as Free if that's what is required)

Pave Low2

Everything
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2018
Steel Monotype - Platinum (Complete)
Badges: 8/8

An incredibly fun challenge, the coverage that Steel has in this gen is quite nice. The gym leaders weren't too bad, with the exception of the last gym purely because of the speed and power of the Pokemon, but apart from that I was fine. It's also easy to grind Steel types in Victory Road so I was able to gain a few levels for each Pokemon there before I went into the Pokemon League, knowing I had to deal with both Ground and Fire type teams. Aaron wasn't too hard to deal with, Bug isn't exactly strong against me so that wasn't much of a problem. Bertha's Ground types should have been a lot harder on paper, but Empoleon was able to OHKO 4 of her Pokemon after surviving two super effective attacks. Empleon had to show up against Flint too, since they were all fast and used super effective moves against me. Bronzong's Hypnosis-Confuse Ray combo helped out a lot there. Lucian was probably the easiest to deal with. I just set up Swords Dance on Scizor, full restored and almost swept the team with it. Cynthia wasn't too difficult either, especially since Empoleon's Ice Beam OHKO'd Garchomp. Overall a very fun challenge, I'll be doing more monotypes on Platinum for sure.

Team
Spr_4p_437.png

Mith | Level 58 w/ Levitate
Lax
Psychic | Hypnosis
Flash Cannon | Confuse Ray

Spr_4p_208_m.png

Sith | Level 56 w/ Sturdy
Impish
Crunch | Iron Tail
Rock Climb | Stone Edge

Spr_4p_395.png

Bith | Level 63 w/ Torrent
Relaxed
Waterfall | Drill Peck
Surf | Ice Beam

Spr_4p_212_m.png

Spith | Level 60 w/ Swarm
Adamant
Iron Head | X-Scissor
Strength | Swords Dance

Spr_4p_448.png

Fith | Level 59 w/ Steadfast @ Fist Plate
Timid
Dragon Pulse | Drain Punch
ExtremeSpeed | Aura Sphere

Spr_4p_462.png

Zith | Level 58 w/ Sturdy @Magnet
Naive
Magnet Bomb | Thuder Wave
Discharge | Mirror Shot

Screens
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I've been playing a lot this week, and I was able to finish up my Leafgreen MonoGround Challenge today.

I moved on and started playing Monotype Ground on Sapphire, but that's a different post for a different day.

Here's a quick rundown:

Spoiler:

Final Team:
nidoking.png
rhydon.png
dugtrio.png
nidoqueen.png
marowak.png
sandslash.png

Pave Low2

Everything
Years