ROM Hacking Discussion General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old November 28th, 2018 (1:24 PM).
Modder / Programmer

I've started working on a new tool for working with .gba pokemon files, and I'm getting close to the point where I may need some usability testers: people who are actually trying to make ROM Hacks, who can provide feedback on things I can improve about the tool.

The tool is a custom Hex Editor with features that help recognize and work with data within the pokemon games:
    • Standard Hex Editor features (data entry, Find/Goto, Copy/Paste)
    • Multiple simultaneous open files
    • Automatic pointer recognition / navigation
    • Moving data
    • Forking / joining data

Would such a tool actually be useful? Would anyone be interested in helping me test / improve the tool as I add features?
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old November 30th, 2018 (2:48 AM). Edited November 30th, 2018 by Delta231.
    A noob

Nature: Bold
      It should be platform independent too. I use Bliss Hex Editor for Linux and its amazing. It would be amazing of the hex editor would like Crystal Tile 2.

A supporter of

#3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old November 30th, 2018 (8:18 AM).
      Modder / Programmer

@Delta231 Do you mean Bless Hex Editor? Googling didn't find Bliss.

Crystal Tile 2 does seem to have some useful features. I'll see if there's places in my app where it makes sense to provide a similar interface.

Unfortunately, I'm coding it in .Net with WPF, so it won't be cross-platform for now. I may look into porting it to .Net Core, but building up an entire new UI would be a very big project, and I'm still just working on core features. Are a majority of the hackers in the community not using Windows?
          #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 30th, 2018 (9:49 PM).
        Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

Nature: Gentle
          I don’t know if it is the majority, but I know quite a few (including myself) don’t have Windows as their main computer. I have access to Windows via Virtual Machine, so I can use Windows programs, but if there is a cross platform version of the thing I need then I will prefer that as it is generally easier to work with.

So if it was cross-platform, then it would be usable by anybody (including those with Windows), but you’d have to decide for yourself if it would be worth it.

Since you’ve seemingly only just started it might be easier to port it to .NetCore now than it would be if you had already made the whole thing? I am not experienced with that sort of thing, so I’m It 100% sure, but that is my hunch.

Thus far the concept sounds like a good idea, as I really only use the Hex Editor for ROM hacking, and a tool that made little things easier to do might be of interest.
          "The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
            #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 30th, 2018 (10:00 PM). Edited November 30th, 2018 by Delta231.
          A noob

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by haven1433 View Post
            @Delta231 Do you mean Bless Hex Editor? Googling didn't find Bliss.

Crystal Tile 2 does seem to have some useful features. I'll see if there's places in my app where it makes sense to provide a similar interface.

Unfortunately, I'm coding it in .Net with WPF, so it won't be cross-platform for now. I may look into porting it to .Net Core, but building up an entire new UI would be a very big project, and I'm still just working on core features. Are a majority of the hackers in the community not using Windows?
            Yes, Bless.

Majority of the community uses Windows but cross-platform should be a thing and Disassemblies are having rapid progress and hex editor wouldn't be needed in the future as most of people will use decomps. However, there will be people who will binary hack so Windows would be fine.

A supporter of

#6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 5 Days Ago (7:04 PM).

Lol not just the community. Majority of the planet uses windows
                #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 3 Days Ago (2:16 PM). Edited 3 Days Ago by FBI.
              Free supporter

I'm not seeing the impact this would have on a binary hack workflow. What are people actually opening a hex editor for? I think most of the time, it's for inserting ASM routines into free space or to write a few bytes to some address as instructed in a resource (does this tool really aid in that?). Most tables that someone who needs a smart hex editor for are repointed and edited in older tools, and it makes sense for most data to be looked at in conjunction with other data. For example, when editing Pokemon names, users would also want to edit Pokemon stats, move pool ect. This is efficient in comparison to editing these things individually in a hex editor. Features like "Automatic pointer recognition / navigation" are included in programs like IDA, which also disassembles code and gives a decent decompilation too.

I suppose if your goal is just to make a hex editor for hackers and people use this instead of a hex editor, sure. IMO your time is better spent developing other tools. We still need an XSE replacement (probably keep the syntax) which allows room customization of the script engine/smart error checking ect. There is also the need for an AMap replacement, but I realize that's an ambitious project.

Anyways, I appreciate your effort and reaching out to the community for opinions :)

Quick Reply