The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
From the Staff ROM Hacking Moderator Applications are now open!

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old October 5th, 2017 (12:23 PM).
i don't have a user title
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Bold
Hello ROM Hackers--

You're probably aware of how important the RH section is on PokeCommunity. For many years it has hosted a large and diverse community of hackers, coders, artists, and creatives. It has always had a team of dedicated people helping it succeed by keeping the content organized and tidy and keeping rule-breakers out, as well as coming up with new and exciting ideas to improve and engage our ROM Hacking community.

We're currently looking to expand that team, and we're opening up to direct applicants for the first time in years. If you're interested, read on.

What does a Moderator do?
Being a Moderator on PokeCommunity varies from section to section. ROM Hacking Moderators have the most leeway in how they operate, but like anywhere the job is to help the section succeed. For RH that means hosting good content that's easy to find, including: completed hacks, in-progress hacks, tools for creating hacks, tutorials for beginners and beyond, etc. Helping to foster the development and organization of this content is the primary job. This also includes creating and enforcing rules to that end, and to help people who don't understand the rules get better and eventually contribute positively.

Moderators are also able and encouraged to contribute ideas and discuss PC as a whole with their fellow staff members, as well as chip in on discussions for other sections around PC if they choose.

Why would I want to be a Moderator?
People do this job for a number of different reasons, but the most common answer we see is that people tend to enjoy helping others on the site. Having the chance to shape the experience people have in a community and being a part of a staff team can be very rewarding. Our team is large and diverse, and some of the closest friends many of us have made have been through the staff. (You also get most of the perks of being a Community Supporter, woohoo!)

Do I have what it takes to be a Moderator?
If you spend a lot of your time in the ROM Hacking section already, you're open-minded and willing to adapt to the potential changes of moderating a forum, and you like the idea of helping other people on the site... probably! The hardest part is staying calm when people are troublesome and trying to help them be better. Banning or giving warnings is typically the last step--before you do those things, you should do your best to help explain the rules and why they exist, and to help the members follow them. Staff members are of course expected to be active and remain a consistent and positive presence in their section. It is important that you feel you are able to dedicate enough of your free time to manage a section such as this.

How do I apply?
Send us a message telling us why you would like the job. You might want to think about questions such as: How much do you participate in the ROM Hacking forums on PC? How much time, if any, do you spend creating hacks or tools of your own? Do you think you can stay calm when dealing with rulebreakers or troublemakers? Tell us anything and everything that you'd like us to be aware of when considering your application.

Send your application via private message to me, Achromatic. We (HQ) will review all applications over the course of the next two weeks. Be aware that we might get back to you to discuss your application before these 2 weeks are over!

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 5th, 2017 (12:27 PM).
  • Crystal Tier

Additionally, I encourage you to drop me a PM if you have any questions. :D
Old October 15th, 2017 (5:14 AM).
  • Crystal Tier

Just a reminder that you've got under a week (about 4 days!) to submit an application. We're always eager to see more! :)
Old October 21st, 2017 (3:47 AM).
  • Crystal Tier

Applications are now closed! We're currently reviewing all of the applications we received and we'll post in the updates thread located in the Bulletin Board when we have our decisions made! :)

Quick Reply