• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bizarre "notice player" behavior

Years
[EDIT] The issue has been resolved, it was an issue with Marin's Overworld Shadows script. Thanks Sparkin!

Hello! I'm new here, and having a bit of a problem getting trainers to notice the player in v17 essentials.
I set up Trainer(x), Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0)), and set it to event touch. Yet, for some reason, the trainer will not approach the player. The battle will only start if the player walks directly into the NPC.

The most bizarre thing about this is that this only happens sometimes. At complete random, the script runs properly and the trainer notices the player and approaches. I thought it fixed itself, but it started happening again and now I'm here. I haven't modified any scripts relating to noticing the player. Maybe I'm missing something?

9513ac01d8.png

(This trainer was copied almost directly off of base essentials route 3, it doesn't work on route 3 either)

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Hello, check the event name; " Trainer(2)" .
Have you tried to change the number to something higher?
E.g. "Trainer(4)". Each number corresponds to the amount of tiles
the trainer events uses to "notice" the player. So if you set it to 2,
you will need to be 2 tiles close to the trainer event in order for it to notice you.

Sparkin

I've tested it in a clean version of Essentials and it works just fine. It must be some script that's interfering with it

Years
Hello, check the event name; " Trainer(2)" .
Have you tried to change the number to something higher?
E.g. "Trainer(4)". Each number corresponds to the amount of tiles
the trainer events uses to "notice" the player. So if you set it to 2,
you will need to be 2 tiles close to the trainer event in order for it to notice you.

Yeah I've attempted this, the trainer still ignored the player unfortunately. Thank you, though!

I've tested it in a clean version of Essentials and it works just fine. It must be some script that's interfering with it

I have a feeling this is probably the issue as well. I have quite a few scripts installed through the Universal Plugin Installer and other sources. I'll go through and disable each one to see if anything causes it to start working again.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Then that's it.
The best thing when installing new scripts/plugins etc, is to avoid installing them all together.
Do it one at a time and test various things.

Now, in your case, maybe you have a script that interferes with 1) special tiles, 2) tile passability 3) scripts for older or newer versions of Essentials, 4) Anything that might mess event interaction...
Sorry I couldn't help you more!

Years
Very true! I plan to be more careful from now on and test more before tossing scripts in. I think the culprit could be a terrain SFX script I installed. I don't think anything else I installed messes with tiles. It works, but it wasn't designed for essentials.

I've also disabled one at a time and am still having the issue. I didn't start new save files before hand though, I don't know if that effects anything. I've seen the game act oddly sometimes if I change something without starting a new save. I'll try that, and if that fails, I'll install each script one by one into a fresh copy of essentials and see if I run into problems.

Sparkin

Very true! I plan to be more careful from now on and test more before tossing scripts in. I think the culprit could be a terrain SFX script I installed. I don't think anything else I installed messes with tiles. It works, but it wasn't designed for essentials.

I've also disabled one at a time and am still having the issue. I didn't start new save files before hand though, I don't know if that effects anything. I've seen the game act oddly sometimes if I change something without starting a new save. I'll try that, and if that fails, I'll install each script one by one into a fresh copy of essentials and see if I run into problems.

Have you tried checking an "OverworldShadows" script?

Back