• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for a suitable lead for this team [UU/NU]

RTHookers

Banned
Years
LAST !@#$ING EDIT :
I'm going for a lead Uxie
Uxie.png

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
Levitate ability
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~Trick
~Stealth Rock
~Psychic / U-turn
~Thunder Wave
(Thanks for stickid from Smogon for helping me out now.)

I'm looking for a lead for this team. Since Roserade it OU it's gotta be kicked out (darn you people using Roserade too much)

Awright, it begins from the second Pokemon because there's no lead.

Spr_4p_282.png

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
252 sp.att, 252 spd.
Timid nature, Trace ability
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Pretty much straightforward Gardevoir. Choice Scarf gives me an option to sweep while Choice Specs can give me a big boost if Trace gives me an option to switch in. Pretty much a dilemma so would you help me out?

Spr_4d_160.png

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
252 atk, 252 spd
Jolly nature, Torrent ability
-Sword Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake

Physical sweeping alligator.. Eh. This guy served me well 'til now, and I don't really thing there's something to replace here.

Spr_4p_359.png

Absol @ Choice Scarf
252 atk, 252 spd
Adamant nature, Super Luck ability
-Night Slash
-Sucker Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Superpower

Pretty much a set that explains it. boosted critical hit ratio means pwnage coming from Absol's 130 base attack. One SD is probably enough, as attack is maximized already. Choice Scarf perhaps can be the better option, so that will save me a move slot but I'm not sure if it's the better option

Spr_4d_254.png

Sceptile @ Life Orb
252 atk, 80 sp.att, 176 spd
Overgrow ability, Naive nature
-Leaf Storm
-Focus Blast
-Leaf Blade
-Earthquake

Mixed Sceptile as a late game sweeper. Great speed and Life Orb is something to be reckoned with.

Spr_4p_038.png

Ninetales @ Choice Scarf
252 sp.att, 252 spd
Flash Fire ability, Timid nature
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Energy Ball
-Nasty Plot

Ninetales is.. A nasty special sweeper after a Nasty Plot. This gives me good type coverage and Flash Fire is a useful ability to use to get a free switch in. (Great for Sceptile counters)

Any good lead for this team?
Yes, an offensive UU/NU team. Blame me for not having enough experience. And blame me for wasting PC's resources with three RMTs in a week. Altough this isn't an RMT, you can gimme a few tips if you want.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
At a first glance, Stealth Rock support looks like a good bet. It is super effective against Ice, Bug, Fire and Flying which can
all be potential switches on your Sceptile, and would also disturb Bug switch ins on your Absol. All in all, they are a good
and reliable thing to set up anyway pretty much regardless to what counters your team.

Having a support lead can be a good idea, it would be able to set up stealth rock and might be the bulky contra to your otherwise
exclusively offensive team.
Something like an Uxie might work for you, though it further increases your team's weakness to Bug. Scizor is OU and probably
won't be around your UU / NU battles that still means that U-turns from various pokemon can be causing trouble.

The other option can be some sort of a scouting lead. Because you are offensively oriented it might be a good idea to know what your opponent's
team looks like, helping you to predict possible switch in and switch outs, thus allowing you to outplay.
Something that's good for that job could be a lead Drifblim, as it usually forces switches.

Drifblim @ Focus Sash
-Hypnosis
-Destiny Bond
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
Destiny Bond is there for you to use when you activate your focus sash. Drifblim's Unburden trait increases it's speed when it loses it's held item, meaning you would
now be faster and can get rid of a wall as it switches in when you know that shadow ball or hidden power won't do much against it. You can also remove destiny bond
and put Explosion instead, if you feel like it.

A different idea might be using Spiritomb, you can either go offensive on it or defensive.
It is probably better to go for the offensive set here, because you don't really have anything
that can affored getting statusted on your team and a status effect will probably close the deal on a defensive spiritomb lead.

Spiritomb @ Spell Tag (Offensive)
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit / Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power (Rock/ Fighting)

Good luck.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Your team is really weak to Moltres, so Stealth Rocks would help you a lot, Omastar works really well in this team.

Omastar @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252HP/176Def/80Sp.Def
-Surf
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

RTHookers

Banned
Years
Spiritomb sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot,
I'm consider Gardevoir to be support, since it does it in a good manner.

Gardevoir @ Light Clay
252 sp.def, 252 spd.
Timid nature, Trace ability
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Healing Wish / Wish
-Will-O-Wisp

This set can make Gardevoir useful mid-game, as it has good Sp.def and can sponge a few special hits and with Light Screen even tank them. Will-O-Wisp is there so if a Physical sweeper comes in it'll get burned in the face, works great in any tier. Healing wish is if something went wrong and if I want to heal a team member, at the cost of Gardevoir herself.
I consider Gardevoir as support mainly because it saved my Feraligatr from and Arceus's (Perhaps boosted, but highly unlikely) Thunder. Altough Gardevoir does have good attack, and I tend not to overlook things like that. I'm also concerned about Gardevoir being revenge killed.

I think I'll go with Spiritomb, it's got good bulk and good typing.
How does this set looks like?

Spiritomb @ Spell Tag
252 def, 252 sp.def
Pressure ability, Quiet nature.
-Shadow Ball
-HP Rock/Fighting
-Shadow Sneak
-Pain Split

Pain Split is a good way for damage, as this set lacks offensiveness. Would be awesome if any Chansey would want to switch in and I'm damaged. It's also good for a defense spread like this, and can stall a little with Pressure. Shadow moves (LolzColosseumLolz) are for special/physical coverage, and HP is good for type coverage. Just your set without Pursuit / Sucker Punch. Absol does a better job at Sucker Punching things with STAB and with it's awesome attack. The main problem is the bad speed, but if Snorlax can handle it, Spiritomb can handle it too, UU/NU of course.

I'm going to try that Spiritomb set and see what comes up.

@Gamer
Moltres is BL.

RTHookers

Banned
Years
Darn google directed me to R/S Moltres..
SR was one of the reasons Sudowoodo was in, and for physical walling. It also has an awesome movepool. Almost anything fears to switch into it if the user has good prediction abilities.

Edit :
Absol, Gardevoir and Ninetales's held items were changed from Life Orbs to Choice Scarfs. Absol's moveset due to Choice Scarf was changed and Sword Dance was removed and replaced with Night Slash.

Another freaking edit :
Is Special attacking Persian can be a good surprise lead? Most people won't expect normal types to use special moves. I was looking at the Special Sweeper set at Smogon, something that very surprised me. I can see it is overclassed by Ambipom, but a surprise lead is always an awesome lead.

Probably last freakin' edit :
Swellow looks like a good lead, it has awesome speed stat, which probably outspeeds most UU/NU pokemon without Choice Scarf, Protect + Flame Orb is a viable option, also activating Guts and even allows to sweep with Facade and stab Brave Bird / Aerial Ace. Here's the set

Swellow @ Flame Orb
252 atk, 252 spd
Jolly nature, Guts ability
-Aerial Ace / Brave Bird
-Facade
-Endeavor / HP Fighting
-Protect

You can pretty much predict how this set works out. Endeavor can be replaced with HP Fighting for better type coverage.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
It is generally a bad idea to use Endeavor on a Swellow "guts" set, Swellow is a fragile pokemon and will be better of with substitute if it wants to Endeavor.
I would advise to pull it out and put U-Turn instead, allowing you to do some damage to slower pokemon leads that you prefer to pull out a different pokemon on them.
Also you can see if they decide to stay in or to switch therefore allowing you to switch into a suitable counter. HP is also not a really good choice, because swellow's special attack
is quite lame it would be better to use something different that is physical even on a pokemon that is weak to fighting. In that slot, you can insert Quick Attack to deal that one last guts boosted stab damage
when you know that you are slower than your foe (namely scarfers).

Also, I would personally recommend using Toxic Orb instead of Flame Orb. Toxic Orb deals less damage for the first two turns, and personally
I found that it is difficult to keep Swellow in for a lot more than that. Pulling ir out when you spot that a pokemon might wall you and then bringing it back later seems more rashional than keeping it to die unless you want
to fodder it for some reason. It's status boost will still be the same when you bring it later and it can also be switched in on an incoming status effect and proceed to sweep. Guts boosted Facade is a monster!

Back