• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what advice would you give a new player?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Hypothetical scenario: you're approached by someone who wants to get into competitive battling and they want some advice. You're allowed to give one piece of advice. What is it?

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Use a popular team to understand the basics of team building.

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
Externally:

I would simply give them a link to EV's and IV's, and they would be able to figure it out from there.

Internally:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with the Pokemon they love best." -Karen, Pokemon G/S/C/HG/SS

Anti

return of the king
Years
It's just Pokemon. You can study the game and get really good without becoming one of the countless CBB-tier saltminers who take the game way too seriously. You need to play a lot to get good. Want to make ladder or tournament play not suck? Play the game with joy. Don't get stressed or salty about it and maintain some perspective.

Last edited:
Years
Practice. You can say "learn the meta" or give people tips on team building. In the end though what it really comes down to is practising the skills you learn and battling often. That's how you learn the meta, learn how to make good teams and it's how you learn to think on your feet which is an essential skill.

NewtonRPG

Newton
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 7, 2018
Use whichever Pokémon you enjoy using and have fun training it!

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
Ehh. Gimmiepie already took my advice, so I'm going to give an unorthodox answer. Study the Principles of Chess and abstract them out onto Pokemon. I've found that you can use some ideas from Chess in Pokemon Battles.

Years
Competitive play is a lot of work. Don't forget why we play Pokemon games in the first place. HAVE FUN! for I know a lot of players with zero chill and it's toxic and can potentially ruin playing for you. Again, just enjoy pokemon battle. HAVE FUN!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 24, 2018
Watch some youtuber playing it to progress.

If you don't know how to make a team you can experiment random battle for a while.

Please don't stall.

Back