• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: POCKET GAIDEN (current: v1.3)

manta

★★★★★
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
6AsLoFf.png

POCKET GAIDEN
current version: v1.3​

My name is Pulp. I'm a farmer in a rural, poor area in the middle of nowhere.

POCKET GAIDEN follows a Berry farmer, Pulp, in a subset of a unnamed region based on China. Pulp is tired of exhausting rural life where nothing seems to ever change, so he wants to bring his Berry growing business to the bustling Honzhu City. But he needs to find a way of funding this dream, and also, his truck broke down, stopping him from making any deliveries. The story will take Pulp through both the wilds surrounding his home village and mysterious places called the Color Ruins. Resources we take for granted such as Poké Balls and Potions are extremely coveted where Pulp lives, so his journey is going to be a tough and gruelling one.

POCKET GAIDEN was made for the Relic Castle Winter Game Jam, where you have 40 days to make a hack or fangame. It's been a few years since I released any projects, so hopefully this is enjoyable. The hack was created with the pokeemerald disassembly (https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald/), which you should totally check out.

You can find all resources at (https://github.com/Mantager/pokeemerald/tree/gaidenone). The entire gaidenone branch is free to use. Just credit me, and more importantly, pret. Or just copy all the credits in this thread. Don't take anything from any other branches.

For patching: use BEAT (https://byuu.itch.io/beat/)

Download (v1.3, fixed): https://mega.nz/file/FNoEnY4D#DYV5qh9_A2lXSntZPcHCmYm7Tva84_JSyrbJ6ijwEhk
Download (v1.2): https://mega.nz/file/4ZwiTIKT#VM7fvIXp0B5C1YSWWTKWWDIoqhqkhaAQ4q2RSbe1zas

Apply the patch to an Emerald (Trashman) ROM. You know where to find it.

Game might be a little rough round the edges in some places, because obviously, I had time constraints. Report all bugs you find, including small ones such as decapitalisation errors or text not fitting in boxes. I'm pretty sure that there's no game-breaking bugs, but if you encounter any, tell me.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Changelog
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 12, 2024
Hello, I've started to play and I really like the hack so far but I'm stuck in the Color Ruins.
I've successfully deciphered the "runes" and I followed the instructions given by one of the walls (I don't want to spoil it though), however nothing happens.
Am I doing something wrong?
Spoiler:

manta

★★★★★
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Hello, I've started to play and I really like the hack so far but I'm stuck in the Color Ruins.
I've successfully deciphered the "runes" and I followed the instructions given by one of the walls (I don't want to spoil it though), however nothing happens.
Am I doing something wrong?
Spoiler:
I'm assuming you're talking about the yellow Ruins - did you make sure to talk to the Oracle first and get the Script Guide? Works for me on a fresh copy.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 12, 2024
I was so sure I had checked every area in the swamp that I didn't bother going North.
I feel so dumb now, I've spent so much time deciphering the glyphs on my ownonly to discover that the Oracle gives you a translation guide.
Well anyway thanks for the help. I'll pay more attention next time this type of things happens.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
This looks gorgeous! I've always been a fan of short hacks, especially since college saps a good amount of my time. Downloading this right away!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2020
So I'm pressing the pliars from right to left but nothing is happening. Can you help me figure out which ones I need to press in order?

Years
Hello Lunar you need to press the 3 pillars on the top if the color ruin , just click on each one of them, and a hole will appear😀

Hey Mister Creator , I ended your game and I found only 1 bug and one Glitch. The bug is at the end, we Can click on our truck but it hasn't dialog, i think you forgot to remove the box. The Glitch is very Big because I reached the owner of the relic crown but I crossed only 3 mini games and I didnt cross the music note game. By the way I was stuck in the music note game so I did another mini game and After I go back at the beginning of DarkCity for training my pokemon and when I go back in the mini games room , the 5th hole was showed already. And here is my pokemon team who helped me to beat the game.https://drive.google.com/file/d/10hAgW_lHDk3G3ARpgJHqTiG8J96hlkH3/view?usp=drivesdk Sorry for my Bad english because I'm french ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thank you🖤

Lol nope still stuck..IDK if I'm doing it in the wrong order but nothing is happening when I click the top pillars

I'm the same, I'm clicking them and nothing is happening

I've tried:

And nothing's happening

Years
Thank you🖤

Lol nope still stuck..IDK if I'm doing it in the wrong order but nothing is happening when I click the top pillars

I'm the same, I'm clicking them and nothing is happening

I've tried:

And nothing's happening

It's okay guys I'm going to send you screenshots with steps : https://drive.google.com/file/d/10joxafubqY8jUCxl5tz-agly77lGBqa5/view?usp=drivesdk

Is there a way to store or release your Pokemon in this hack?

I don't think it's possible because WE are poor and villagers have no computers lol, and you cannot get a lot of pokeballs , pokeballs are hidden on the ground or in the rocks

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 12, 2024
Maybe they didn't talk to the Oracle first like I did. If that's the case, you have to head North to the swamp first to trigger the event.

Well I wanted to report some small bugs I spotted but I still haven't reached the 5 posts required to attach images so I'll just give my opinion in another post in order to get to that number. I know it'll look like I'm just spamming the thread and I'm sorry about that.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 12, 2024
I really enjoyed the hack from start to finish for different reasons:
-First of all, small hacks like this one feel very refreshing because it's short yet sweet.
-The story is simple, engaging and does not feel forced or over-exaggerated.
-The difficulty is pretty good, the game doesn't require you to grind like crazy. During the last fights, the opponent Pokémons' level matched the one of my team as I used two Pokémon and battled every trainer.
-Exploration is rewarded in the form of berries (which actually are a viable option this time) or other useful items. The hack is generous enough to give you hidden Rare Candies or the Lucky Egg if you find it too difficult.
-The variety of Pokémon used is really enjoyable. Being able to use Dedenne through the whole story is nice since it never feels too weak as opposed to long games where this kind of Pokémon get thrown into your PC mid-playthrough.
-Visually, the hack remains classic but the mapping and the few new tiles keep things interesting to look at.
-Many quality of life changes have been made like the Physical/Special Split, the ability to run indoors or to rename your Pokémon whenever you want and it is really appreciated.

However there are some little things that could be improved:
-Being able to encounter Digletts in the Linking Tunnel at the beginning of the game isn't really a good choice because at this point in the game, your Dedenne only has Electric moves and the first available Poké Ball is in the aforementioned tunnel. It makes it impossible to hit it a Diglett if you haven't caught another Pokémon (which is more than probable so early in the game). This will force you to faint if you're unlucky enough to encounter a Diglett with Arena Trap. A way to prevent that would be to replace Tail Whip with Tackle in Dedenne's base moveset. It would also help against the third (and unskippable) trainer and her Oddish. It can just counter you with Poison Powder+Absorb and that's
kind of frustrating that early in a hack.
-Some Pokémon could evolve quicker because I feel like evolution levels haven't been changed (I've not checked though) making some Pokémon poor choices like Croagunk, Grimer, Baltoy...

Aside from these minor details, the hack is great and the fact that it has been made in 40 days makes all the work even more impressive.

Here I can finally post the few things I found:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Guys, could you please help me with the solution of the "righteous path" ruins? I've tried hugging all the right walls of the chamber but I'm afraid I don't get it...

Years
Is that the same for the other color ruin too?
No, for the second ruin, you need to walk in the corners counterclockwise of the room (you know the room is rectangular)

Hey man, I'm sorry, but I'm a complete noob. I tried following your screenshot and the hole still didn't open up. Could you please tell me the exact order if it's not a hassle? (>.<)

Oof, did you follow my arrows ? It's just easy ://

Guys, could you please help me with the solution of the "righteous path" ruins? I've tried hugging all the right walls of the chamber but I'm afraid I don't get it...

Bruuuuuuh look my screenshot so : https://drive.google.com/file/d/113HiK-U_EwhXlh38cN6iTnZMYHP_bFgt/view?usp=drivesdk

Back