• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
way off topic

I am taking a test online

Does anyone get this question;
A painter leans a ladder against one wall of a house. At what height does the ladder touch the wall? a = 17 ft and c = 27 ft. (Hint: Use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve). Round your answer to the nearest tenth.

i coped and pasted it.

I think it is missing info, like how long is the ladder,

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I am taking a test online

A painter leans a ladder against one wall of a house. At what height does the ladder touch the wall? a = 17 ft and c = 27 ft. (Hint: Use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve). Round your answer to the nearest tenth.

i coped and pasted it.

I think it is missing info, like how long is the ladder,

Is this an official test? I don't want to help you cheat, although I guess you could technically look up the pythagorean theorem anywhere. Also, this isn't the right place to ask a question like this, but given how off-topic we've been lately I'm sure the mods will let it slide.

You have plenty of information, by the way. Here: "a" squared plus "b" squared equals "c" squared. That should help.

Buoysel

Years
Is this an official test? I don't want to help you cheat, although I guess you could technically look up the pythagorean theorem anywhere. Also, this isn't the right place to ask a question like this, but given how off-topic we've been lately I'm sure the mods will let it slide.

You have plenty of information, by the way. Here: "a" squared plus "b" squared equals "c" squared. That should help.

I know the theorem, but i am confused , dont you need to know at what angle the ladder is leaned or the hight of the ladder?

btw yes offical test (dont tell anyone)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I know the theorem, but i am confused , dont you need to know at what angle the ladder is leaned or the hight of the ladder?

Not really. The theorem is pretty straightforward. At the risk of giving you too much information, when you measure the height of the ladder (as in, how far it's extended) when it's lying flat on the ground, what are you actually measuring?

Figure that out, and you should be able to figure out the rest of the problem. You're just confusing yourself by thinking it's more complex than it actually is (especially since I assume A measures the length of the ground between the ladder leaning against the wall and the wall itself).

Buoysel

Years
Not really. The theorem is pretty straightforward. At the risk of giving you too much information, when you measure the height of the ladder (as in, how far it's extended) when it's lying flat on the ground, what are you actually measuring?

Figure that out, and you should be able to figure out the rest of the problem. You're just confusing yourself by thinking it's more complex than it actually is (especially since I assume A measures the length of the ground between the ladder leaning against the wall and the wall itself).

orignal question

I meant to say length of ladder but oh well.

I am saying: I am trying to find the length of a triangle with no solid information I don't know any angles, not the length of any sides, only the possible length of one side

txteclipse

The Last
Years

You just told everyone yourself XD. And you have all the information you need, I assure you. If I start handing out answers, your mind is going to disengage and I'm going to be the one taking the test (and believe me, I don't want any more math than is absolutely necessary). Just remember what it's telling you: you already have "a" and "c", and you also have the pythagorean theorem which contains both "a" and "c" along with one variable.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
Years

Ooh! Maybe if you use the Pythagorean Theorem, you can solve it!
Well, if you needed help with the Quadratic formula, I'd be all over that.
But it's not, so I'm afraid I can't help...
Geometry was never quite my forté...Wait...Is that theorem Algebra? err...Argh...
Screw you, Math. I have better things to do.

Also
What do you think is more difficult when writing a fic, beginning it, or ending it?

I find ending it much easier than beginning it in most cases. Oneshots for example, I find it hard to open it sometimes, what with all the character description I need to do at the beginning(And since I use canon characters in most cases, it can get pretty tedious) while ending it, can be much more simple, and doesn't have to always be too special or dynamic.
But in longer, chaptered fics, I find it just as hard to close as it is to open. Final chapters can be quite difficult, sometimes.

Whee, my first topic! *Boogie*

Buoysel

Years
OMG I am a ****ing idiot, I misread the question, *banks head no laptop keyboad (needs new keyboard now)*

txteclipse

The Last
Years
OMG I am a ****ing idiot, I misread the question, *banks head no laptop keyboad (needs new keyboard now)*

Yep. The bane of mathematicians everywhere: misreading the question. I swear, my grades in math would all be a letter grade higher if I didn't do this myself.

What do you think is more difficult when writing a fic, beginning it, or ending it?

It all depends on the fic. I had no trouble starting the E.C, but the ending has been in the works for four years now.

As for Mastermind, the ending is pre-determined by the canon I'm writing in but it's going to be the getting there that will do me in *looks solemnly at the pitiful two chapters that are out*

Buoysel

Years
Honestly I am really good at math I just had a brain ****, because it was way worse than a brain fart, let's just hope that doesn't happen on the final.

EDIT: I am done with the test, I am going home now, going to bed and hopping this doesnt explode when other read it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

I agree. The beginning's hell to get right. Aside from the character description et cetera, you've also got to worry about whether or not your beginning's woven tightly. As in, it's the first thing your readers see. If it's a weak beginning, then they'll be turned off. So, you need to choose your words carefully and make sure everything fits together well or it just won't work.

Endings aren't much of a problem, I think. They're just the natural occurrences of everything before them. The beginning and the middle build up to an end. While you could screw an ending up, on the other hand, if you've been choosing your words carefully from the start, you should feel that sort of rhythm when you get around to needing to do an ending. As in, you'll be in the right mindset to put together the right words to deliver a close, whereas in the beginning, you're stepping out onto a blank slate.

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
Years

I definitely have trouble with the beginning a fic than ending it, even though I haven't actually gotten to an ending before. Even with my attempted one-shots for the FFC, everytime, I have a stroyline, just can't get it started and pulled together. I hope to get better though.

Eos Aduro

The Kid with the Bullet Soul
Years
I agree with Jax, beginnings are so hard to get right. Im writing my first fanfic, its posted if anyones interested, and I have everything planned out, but I feel like I thrashed the beginning. The prologue seems fine though, since its a chapter installemnt sorta thing.

Endings are easily done, so long as you know your characters right.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Damn! I, the author who uses an inordinate amount of math in my fic, missed a math subtopic in the Lounge?! Now my life will never be complete *sobs in corner and cuts self*

Ahem...

Beginning is harder. If it wasn't I'd be doing more (read AT LEAST ONE) of the FFC prompts... Though I do have an idea for "leather" XD. Besides, I've already got the ending planned for my main fic, which for risk of spoilers, ties in with November's prompt. It has nothing to do with December's prompt, however (in interest of maintaining a PG rating).

EDIT: Oh, and January's prompt:
Buick LeSabre.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Oh dear gods. Math. Where's DarkPersian now?

x.x The math broke my brain. If you don't mind, I'm just going over here to read my book about a guy spouting a voluptuous pair (Yes, voluptuous was mentioned twice in a space of a page about them things) and trading frozen private body parts for iron. Dx

Card, I love you.

Beginning. Only because it's the first thing that the readers will see when they step into your story. If it's bad, then the readers will think that the rest of the story will suck major monkey balls. And that's something you don't want people to think about your story.

Why no, my yaoi fangirl issues certainly will not permeate into every single FFC entry from now until someone finally gets fed up with reading kinky geek love.
Some people demand kinky geek love, since kinky geek love is so hawt.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years

Both of them.

I mean it. I always have trouble starting a story. The ending always turns out either too mushy or too plain, or some weird mix of the two. And during the story I always end up with some kind of romance developing which I have no control over and definitely didn't plan.

I just found another. O.O Oh goodness, I can't have them together. Excuse me while I go and kill one off.

~Golden

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
When you visualize your fic, do you picture it as anime, live action, or what?

I think it depends on the scene... Most of the time I imagine it in an anime-style, but some more realistically-described scenes just naturally come to mind as "live-action". There's one scene from a fic I abandoned forever ago involving an Arcanine in which I simply cannot imagine the Arcanine as lines and colors; it appears in my mind as a real, living creature with textured fur and everything. No idea why, especially consideirng other scenes in that fic I imagined in a bit of an anime-style...

I really don't see how everyone says they have so much trouble with the beginning! Maybe I'm just weird and backwards, but once I have a good idea for a fic that's been collecting in my mind for so long it's practically alive, I can whip up a prologue and/or first chapter with no problem in a few hours. The ending is just as easy if not moreso, as by that point I'm ready to make my climatic conclusion and at full momentum after the rest of the fic's gone by.

No, what gets to me is the whole middle. Everything that isn't the beginning and isn't the end. Once it gets to this point, it's like hitting a wall for me. Sure, I know what's on the other side and can't wait to reach it, but climbing that wall of plot buildup, character development, and plain writer's-block seems like such an impossible task sometimes... Of course, once I get up that wall, it's easy as ever to make it back down and end the fic.

Bay

Years

Endings, actually. The thing is I already pretty much plan how I want to start out the fic and go from there. Endings, however, I always have the tendency to change them because I always felt the end result didn't resolve most of the things in the fic and felt in some holes. Hence, I'm trying my best to not have the ending rushed. For instance, I knew already how I want to begin my FFC prompt for this month, but then I got stump on the ending (managed to fix that, though). Also, NE. I always seem to think of a better ending that could resolve the many things happening in that fic already.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years
When you visualize your fic, do you picture it as anime, live action, or what?

It varies between the three, with the "or what" in this case being a sort of CGI-animation type of thing. Anime-mode's the way I most commonly visualize the scenes, with the CGI mode being a somewhat close second and the live action mode a somewhat distant third.

I find beginnings more difficult to write, and that goes for writing individual chapters as well as for writing entire fics in general. I think the reason that I find endings (be they for individual chapters or entire fics) easier to write is because by the time I get to the ending, I've really got the "momentum" from writing the rest of the chapter on my side (whether it's the last chapter or one prior to it), whereas when I'm first writing a chapter (whether it's the first chapter or one following it) I haven't really gotten that going yet. I'm Regi-freaking-gigas when it comes to writing. X3

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Uh...beginning. I haven't got to an ending before (except in my oneshot...).
Well, I can't really start well...cos I was writing an OT...Oh god...I don't want to quit any..but...

Take a sex ed class, watch some seedy movies, and then try again!
Yeah...great... -.- I'd preferably skip that step. I won't try at all. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back