• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Minority representation in media

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 4, 2021
I think the most qualified person should get the position unless there's a plot-relevant reason why they shouldn't.

I don't get why there's always an assumption that a minority was chosen that for that over someone "more qualified" (meaning more white, more male, etc.). Like, you can be a minority and talented? The idea that minorities should only play roles that justify them being there is the idea that they're second rate to the "most qualified" straight white people.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Whoops, stop, wait a minute.
Lemme put some Bull**** in it.
I don't get why there's always an assumption that a minority was chosen that for that over someone "more qualified" (meaning more white, more male, etc.). Like, you can be a minority and talented? The idea that minorities should only play roles that justify them being there is the idea that they're second rate to the "most qualified" straight white people.

Okay, so I'm going to supply TwoCows quote,
"Forced diversity" to me means that someone is being chosen for a role because of some attribute they have that is seen as "diverse" when that attribute has nothing to do with the role they're being chosen for. And yeah, I don't like that. It's unfair to other candidates and it's patronizing to the person being hired. I think the most qualified person should get the position unless there's a plot-relevant reason why they shouldn't.

And I want you to tell me where in that does he mention an assumption about minority getting it for that. Course, you could say it's kinda a branch off what he said right? Nope, he's making the general statement that "Hey, if you're the most qualified you should get the role unless something in the casting says you can't."

Also, where did he say that minorities should only play roles specifically made for them? LGBT really only matters for a character and skin tone doesn't really matter for a character unless it's plot or setting required. Like the crew of star trek would make much more sense in having a black lady in the casting than Robin Hood.

So, I'm going to call bullsh** on using his comment as a leap into this "assumption" part. If you're just talking about concepts of a minority being chosen for fulfilling a quota and how farfetched it is to assume all are, fair enough, but I still can't really say that pivoting of twocows comment as if replying to him helped in the execution.

Also, no one is saying all are when the issue of "quota" is brought up. Along with that, I'd like to point to something I made earlier (I think my last comment) regarding how the list of A-tier actors and actresses of minorities (the ones that are really selling points) is considerably less than before. Like back then you had Jackie Chan, Samuel L. Jackson, Laurence Fishburn, or hell, way back when you had Nichelle Nicholas.

Point is, there are a couple of factors to consider regarding this. I, Trevs, Shakugan and some others have brought up ideas to help explain this question and all. The quota is one and it doesn't imply every actor or actress of the minority was given their role for "fulfilling a quota" and anyone that thinks that is pretty stupid.

Course, I don't say this to landblast you, just saying...that's not what he said if you were replying to him. If you weren't and just being general about it, why did you use his quote then?

I wish you well.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Mostly talking about LGBT characters here

what I want to see in media is for them to acknowledge it, but not make a big deal out of it
like, when a company just says "oh, this character is gay now" and then doesn't actually show any signs of that (they don't need to make them into a stereotypical gay character, just have them be attracted to someone) that really feels like they're just shoehorning them in
But I don't want the whole character's personality to revolve around that

I feel like deadpool 2 is a good example of this
one of the characters was just like "this is my girlfriend" and then everyone was like "oh, cool" and they didn't really discuss it further then that. I think that's a good balance. Unless the whole plot of the movie is gonna revolve around a character being gay, it should just be treated as a normal thing, and they shouldn't make a huge deal out of it.

Just my thoughts though

Years
Like....I'm sorry, but this honestly annoys me a little. I get the intention and I'm fine with the want for more rep with better characters, but there's a lot that goes into a story and movie. As a writer myself (an okay writer but work with me here) a lot goes into editing and thinking of how to pull off the story. Sooo many attributes and other things need to be considered before really going into fine polishing or hell even added adjustments. You can't just expect to have some characters be LGBT and poof a character is born. LGBTism (again with the made up words heh) frankly, is an attribute that right now is a hit or miss for many a movie writer. Some do well, others don't and unless a business like Hollywood thinks they can make a buck off of it, I don't see it changing.

Speaking as another writer, making a character gay is super easy because you just write the character the same as a heterosexual character but make them like the same sex instead. Anyone who claims that it's for some reason harder to write a LGBT+ character based on their sexual preference or gender is making excuses. If the struggles LGBT+ can face was a prominent theme in the story, then maybe I could see that being more difficult but that's why you research and have first-readers so you can create an accurate character even if not part of that group yourself... same as you would for any other story.

I'm anti-tokenism by a mile but this excuse actually leads to tokenism because it means people are writing LGBT+ characters (since this was the main example, this applies to race too) specifically to be the gay or trans character.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 4, 2021
Nope, he's making the general statement that "Hey, if you're the most qualified you should get the role unless something in the casting says you can't."
And there's no reason to believe that someone was chosen to fulfill a diversity quota over their own ability.
Also, where did he say that minorities should only play roles specifically made for them?
Here:
I think the most qualified person should get the position unless there's a plot-relevant reason why they shouldn't.
LGBT really only matters for a character and skin tone doesn't really matter for a character unless it's plot or setting required. Like the crew of star trek would make much more sense in having a black lady in the casting than Robin Hood.
Well I mean for starters, black people literally did exist in medieval europe so there's that. Like I guess??? But at the same time Robin Hood is about as real as Star Trek is.
So, I'm going to call bullsh** on using his comment as a leap into this "assumption" part. If you're just talking about concepts of a minority being chosen for fulfilling a quota and how farfetched it is to assume all are, fair enough, but I still can't really say that pivoting of twocows comment as if replying to him helped in the execution.

Also, no one is saying all are when the issue of "quota" is brought up. Along with that, I'd like to point to something I made earlier (I think my last comment) regarding how the list of A-tier actors and actresses of minorities (the ones that are really selling points) is considerably less than before. Like back then you had Jackie Chan, Samuel L. Jackson, Laurence Fishburn, or hell, way back when you had Nichelle Nicholas.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from. It's not like minorities just dropped off the face of the planet. Just because you don't notice them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Course, I don't say this to landblast you, just saying...
that's not what he said if you were replying to him.
It was implied. Because thats, uh, what the forced diversity argument implies. But,
If you weren't and just being general about it, why did you use his quote then?
You can respond to someone with a comment in general anyway. At this point you're just arguing semantics.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I don't get why there's always an assumption that a minority was chosen that for that over someone "more qualified" (meaning more white, more male, etc.).
Wait, what? In what world does more qualified mean more white or more male? More qualified means more qualified. Someone with ten years of reputable experience in a given field is more qualified than someone fresh out of college. An actor who is able to accurately and effectively convey a writer's intended sentiments in their acting is more qualified than someone who can't do that.

What you're saying is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. "Qualified" isn't some kind of weird racism code, it's a word with a clear and well-defined meaning:
qualified. Meeting the standards, requirements, and training for a position.
Please don't redefine words. I only have one means of communication and that is the English language; if words cease to have agreed upon meanings, then I'm unable to communicate my position.

Like, you can be a minority and talented?
I actually said that in my original version of the post, but I took it out because I felt it was obvious and somewhat patronizing. Yes, of course you can be a minority and talented. Does that really even need to be said? I guess it does. When I say "the most qualified person deserves the job," what I mean is "the most qualified person deserves the job." That person may be black, white, male, female, Jewish, Muslim, Democrat, Republican, or whatever. Those things are usually not relevant to a job's qualifications, and when they are, they're part of the job's qualifications. So in either situation, the most qualified person should get the job. Factors that aren't related to the job requirements shouldn't matter (notwithstanding things like pay).

The idea that minorities should only play roles that justify them being there
I didn't say this, I didn't imply this, and it is in fact incompatible with my stated belief that "the most qualified person should get the job" because it would be removing a large pool of potentially qualified people as candidates for a large number of roles.

"The most qualified person" can be anyone, so long as they are the person best suited to fulfill the job requirements. I don't think any reasonable person would suggest something like what you said because it's obviously ridiculous. There may be some unreasonable people who believe that, but they're not the kind of people I tend to pay much heed to.

is the idea that they're second rate to the "most qualified" straight white people.
Yes, if someone actually believed the first thing, they would probably also believe something like this.

Again, what I said was that the most qualified person should get the job and that sometimes that isn't what happens. That does not imply anything other than the exact words comprising that statement.

And there's no reason to believe that someone was chosen to fulfill a diversity quota over their own ability.
Again, I was going to bring this up but it seemed kind of obvious so I cut it out of my original post: in most cases you probably won't know the exact circumstances behind why someone was hired, so I don't think it's really fair to assume things about any given actor. That's part of why I talked about hiring practices rather than individual actors.

Even if you did know every single actor's exact hiring circumstances, it wouldn't help because this is a hiring problem, not an actor problem. The solution has nothing to do with actors and everything to do with convincing employers that this is an unethical practice. Hounding actors over it accomplishes nothing other than fostering divisiveness.

It was implied. Because thats, uh, what the forced diversity argument implies.
Hiring based on diversity over merit is something that does actually happen and I think when it does happen, it's a bad thing. That's all I said, it's all I meant to say, and I did not intend to say anything with my initial post that wasn't explicitly stated in it.

Vragon2.0

Years
WHOSE READY FOR AN ESSAY!!!!

Speaking as another writer, making a character gay is super easy because you just write the character the same as a heterosexual character but make them like the same sex instead. Anyone who claims that it's for some reason harder to write a LGBT+ character based on their sexual preference or gender is making excuses. If the struggles LGBT+ can face was a prominent theme in the story, then maybe I could see that being more difficult but that's why you research and have first-readers so you can create an accurate character even if not part of that group yourself... same as you would for any other story.

Where in my comment, that you quoted, did I say writing LGBT characters was harder?
My Sauce
Like....I'm sorry, but this honestly annoys me a little. I get the intention and I'm fine with the want for more rep with better characters, but there's a lot that goes into a story and movie. As a writer myself (an okay writer but work with me here) a lot goes into editing and thinking of how to pull off the story. Sooo many attributes and other things need to be considered before really going into fine polishing or hell even added adjustments. You can't just expect to have some characters be LGBT and poof a character is born. LGBTism (again with the made up words heh) frankly, is an attribute that right now is a hit or miss for many a movie writer. Some do well, others don't and unless a business like Hollywood thinks they can make a buck off of it, I don't see it changing.

These are the sections I believe you got it from and let me explain.
1: "Sooo many attributes and other things need to be considered before really going into fine polishing or hell even added adjustments"

As in other things like personality. This isn't a comment regarding LGBT or anything like that more than hetero or skin tone. This is writing the deep details of the character and where you want them to go.

2: "You can't just expect to have some characters be LGBT and poof a character is born."
As in...LGBT doesn't make a character alone. Same for hetero. Sure they can have an attraction, but that's not everything to the character.

3: "LGBTism (again with the made up words heh) frankly, is an attribute that right now is a hit or miss for many a movie writer."
We've been talking about how LGBT characters have either gone well or not in the media so I fail to see how I'm wrong in saying this. Not to mention, this isn't even talking about the characters in general, just that Hollywood is doing a poor job with writing them or wants to play it safe. I'm not saying it's harder to write them, just that Hollywood can't seem to write them consistently well.

4: "Some do well, others don't and unless a business like Hollywood thinks they can make a buck off of it, I don't see it changing"
This is merely talking about Hollywood as a business.

Essentially, I don't know where you got the idea where I was saying that and if I left that impression I apologize, that wasn't my intent. I was referring to how Hollywood isn't doing well writing them, not cause they're harder but like Trev said it's something they don't experience as well or know as deep or just sticking it safe with your classic hetero character. If I'm mistaken somewhere, please show me where you got the impression; if I've resolved it, I'd would like to know that too...just so we're on the same page.

and now onto the other part of the show!
Though, before I begin I will say it was really hard to read it since I wasn't sure if you didn't do the quote fonts right or just throwing my sentences back at me. Just sayin.

Nope, he's making the general statement that "Hey, if you're the most qualified you should get the role unless something in the casting says you can't."

I'm sorry, but have you heard of quote filling? I'm not saying the actor isn't talented or every minority actor is due to this. Hell, I'm just disagreeing with Quote filling as a concept. You know, what TwoCows is saying right here.

I mean, all he said was he didn't like the idea of quota filling and you come driving your car of a point into it with a response that I honestly can't figure how you linked it to him unless you think by him saying "I don't like quota filling as a concept" means "A lot of minorities are quota filling".

I'm genuinely curious, can you like with detail tell me where in his comment does he say this assumption you are putting out there?

Also, where did he say that minorities should only play roles specifically made for them?
Here:

LGBT really only matters for a character and skin tone doesn't really matter for a character unless it's plot or setting required. Like the crew of star trek would make much more sense in having a black lady in the casting than Robin Hood.

Okay, so pet peeve of mine, if you're going to show us something, actually point it out instead of just slamming a comment we can just scroll up to look at and say "Here it is people". Bold it or something.

But onto your point regarding the quote,
Plot relevance makes sense if it's concerning you know the plot. This doesn't mean that most minorities are the ones doing the plot relevance, unless you can convince me somehow Ripcord being black was needed for his character in the stories of GI Joe. Hell, the reboot of Fantastic Four could have worked with Human Torch being black, they just failed in explaining it well.

Well I mean for starters, black people literally did exist in medieval europe so there's that.
CITATION F***ING NEEDED FOR MEDEVIAL BRITAIN!!!
Also, ignoring that blacks being in Britain would also be of a very low percentage. Probably enough that Robin's band of merry men wouldn't have a single one, unless you can show a resonable amount of such ethnicity in King John's Britain?

Like I guess??? But at the same time Robin Hood is about as real as Star Trek is.
On what planet do you say that a space oddessuy with alien species and phasing teleportation is as real as Medevial outlaws in Britain during a real time in history. Maybe not real characters, but a real setting in the past.

That's like saying Inception is as real as the Garfield Movie. Both have unreal characters, but one takes place in dreams with tech we don't have and the other takes place in some real townish place that reflects the world better.

I don't even know if this part is mine or yours. I assume mine, in which case, Quote please. If not....what's this doing here?

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. It's not like minorities just dropped off the face of the planet. Just because you don't notice them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Course, I don't say this to landblast you, just saying...
As in, they were in everything if not movie sellers. There are some still yeah, but not as many and Hollywood right now is playing it safe with picking actors that are up there. Kinda like why Scarlet Johannsen is a lot and other famous ones as well. I'm not saying minorities don't star or help sell the movie, just that the list is considerably less than it was about a decade ago.

that's not what he said if you were replying to him.
It was implied. Because thats, uh, what the forced diversity argument implies. But,
Nope, Nope, shut up, you haven't shown where it's implied and explained how it is. I mean, maybe it's implied to you, but that's where asking for clarification comes in. I mean, I try to let peeps know if I got something wrong regarding their comment to let me know or hell, when they do apologize for the miscommunication.

If you weren't and just being general about it, why did you use his quote then?
You can respond to someone with a comment in general anyway. At this point you're just arguing semantics.
I was tackling the other case where you were just pointing it out in general as to bring up the topic of assumptions from peeps in general and then if you weren't directly replying in general then why use his comment when it in general wasn't even mentioning your little tidbit on people assuming.

Good grief, don't even test me with "semantics" since you have yet to even prove your interpretation as something actually related to what he said. I mean, you wanna argue semantics, okay, fine then!

Notice there's no mention of, males, minorities, whites, cis, always, talented, idea, justify, play, second rate.
And now let's address his comment bit by bit.

"I think the most qualified"
as in no specific group or attribute, just that one asshole that beat you in the acting role scouting.

"should get the position unless there's a plot-relevant reason why they shouldn't."
Emphasis on that the "best at it, should get the role" unless they don't qualify for the casting. You know, how scouting for stuff works in general. Hell, how contests works in general.

and now let's see your little tid-bit.

You have all the words I mentioned above.

"I don't get why there's always an assumption"
Saying he's making an assumption on something

"That a minority was chosen that over (no second that or for) someone 'more qualified'"
He never mentioned a specific group, just a person that's "most qualified". That can be literally anyone that happens to do it, like come on.

"(meaning more white, more male, etc.)"
Freakin stop right there! That's your definition or use of "More Qualified" not his or what his intent behind it is. You wanna know, ask him, else I call Straw Man by you on his comment right here!

"Like, you can be a minority and talented?" No sh** sherlock. It's almost like his wording didn't even have anyone untalented just the "most qualified" aka: the winner!

"The idea that minorities should only play roles that justify them being there is the idea that they're second rate to the "most qualified" straight white people"
Cool, your thoughts, but guess who didn't even mention anything regarding justification of that idea. Two Cows. In fact, his comment also goes against this since "most qualified" means anyone that freakin wins it. Like, Hot damn, why did you insert your def for his and not even let him clarify?

Sigh...look, I know I've been acting kinda dickish in which case, I doubt we've met before heh, but I don't think you're stupid or whatnot for your comment. I understand miscommunications happen and I'd encourage clarification and all since someone saying something might not line up with how you're taking it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Another thing that should be mentioned is that the goal posts always move. If the minority representation doesn't fit whatever criteria, people complain. Bad guy is gay, or black or whatevr? People get outraged and complain. People complained that the Black Panther movie didn't have transgender or same sex relationships shown on screen. If you're a white author people complain if you have or don't have minority people in the book. Either they are "tokens" or they are "stereotypes" or that you didn't play up the ethnicity enough. "How will people know they are (x) if you don't have that character mention it?" Then there are the "cultural appropriation " complaints.

Years
Mm, I don't like the idea I've seen of "token minority".
It seems to me like people are assuming that's the only way anyone "minority" can land a job, when really there's plenty of talented people.
I think that more diversity in the industry is good.

twocows

Years
It seems to me like people are assuming that's the only way anyone "minority" can land a job, when really there's plenty of talented people.
There may be some people who believe that, but I don't think that's the assumption most people are making and it's certainly not what I believe. It's more about the hiring/casting process; I don't think there's any correlation between someone's minority status and their acting ability and I don't think most people making the argument believe that, either.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Neo-marxism is an evil beast.

Any time the media tries to blame or portray an arbitrary "group" as something, immediately consider that bullshit. "women think" "asians do" "white Christian males do" it's all nonsense. Actually, it's straight up racist/sexist/anti-religious while claiming to be "tolerant." A lot of the people nowadays calling out "RACISM!!!" are trying generalize entire races themselves (ie: "mass murderers are always white males" or "a black person can't be a Republican without being an uncle tom!" or "the Jews are secretly running America")

I hope it's a trend that'll die out... I can't imagine so many people buying into this neo-racism for too long.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Meh. To be honest I'm not too much of a movies guy. As a result I only rarely watch something that comes from Hollywood and the likes. I happened to have watched the Dark Tower movie last year, though, and I still remember how confused I was the whole time.
The confusion was caused from the main character Roland who up to this point was never portrayed as black. In the books there was never mentioned such a thing and the comics I had also only portrayed him as a white guy.
Even after doing some research the only thing I could come up with was the directory thinking that he'd imagine him to be black and Stephen King only being ok with it (from a Wikipedia page, too lazy to look it up).

I suppose it's one of these situations where people like to blame the media for being the cause of unnecessary diversity quota whereas it's more likely that it is nothing but a consequence of (what they, Hollywood, assume to be) the large majority of their consumers, who really want a lot of color (not restricted to race, mind you) in their movies.
Afterall Hollywood largely consists of unimaginative copycats who want to cater to even more unimaginative people in order to rake in the money.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
This is all probably out of order. Oh well.

These are the sections I believe you got it from and let me explain.
1: "Sooo many attributes and other things need to be considered before really going into fine polishing or hell even added adjustments"

As in other things like personality. This isn't a comment regarding LGBT or anything like that more than hetero or skin tone. This is writing the deep details of the character and where you want them to go.

I think gimme's argument was that feeling the need to write deep backstories for LGBT+ characters is one of the causes of tokenism because writers unfamiliar with LGBT+ experiences will attempt to cram in researched experiences into their character(s) to make them "believable." And he's got a point on multiple levels. If it doesn't lead to tokenism, it usually leads to very similar characters with the one "dark backstory" where they've suffered through trauma. I love these characters, of course, but at some point I just want casual LGBT+ characters who don't need to suffer. They're just as realistic.

2: "You can't just expect to have some characters be LGBT and poof a character is born."
As in...LGBT doesn't make a character alone. Same for hetero. Sure they can have an attraction, but that's not everything to the character.

You're actually agreeing with gimme here. He's saying the exact same thing: you can make a character LGBT+ without making LGBT+ the whole character.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that the goal posts always move. If the minority representation doesn?t fit whatever criteria, people complain. Bad guy is gay, or black or whatevr? People get outraged and complain. People complained that the Black Panther movie didn?t have transgender or same sex relationships shown on screen. If you?re a white author people complain if you have or don?t have minority people in the book. Either they are ?tokens? or they are ?stereotypes? or that you didn?t play up the ethnicity enough. ?How will people know they are (x) if you don?t have that character mention it?? Then there are the ?cultural appropriation ? complaints.

People will, in general, find anything to complain about, and even people within a seemingly-unified movement or mindset will have individual disagreements. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Wait, what? In what world does more qualified mean more white or more male? More qualified means more qualified. Someone with ten years of reputable experience in a given field is more qualified than someone fresh out of college. An actor who is able to accurately and effectively convey a writer's intended sentiments in their acting is more qualified than someone who can't do that.

What you're saying is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. "Qualified" isn't some kind of weird racism code, it's a word with a clear and well-defined meaning.

I actually said that in my original version of the post, but I took it out because I felt it was obvious and somewhat patronizing. Yes, of course you can be a minority and talented. Does that really even need to be said? I guess it does. When I say "the most qualified person deserves the job," what I mean is "the most qualified person deserves the job." That person may be black, white, male, female, Jewish, Muslim, Democrat, Republican, or whatever. Those things are usually not relevant to a job's qualifications, and when they are, they're part of the job's qualifications. So in either situation, the most qualified person should get the job. Factors that aren't related to the job requirements shouldn't matter (notwithstanding things like pay).

I didn't say this, I didn't imply this, and it is in fact incompatible with my stated belief that "the most qualified person should get the job" because it would be removing a large pool of potentially qualified people as candidates for a large number of roles.

"The most qualified person" can be anyone, so long as they are the person best suited to fulfill the job requirements. I don't think any reasonable person would suggest something like what you said because it's obviously ridiculous. There may be some unreasonable people who believe that, but they're not the kind of people I tend to pay much heed to.

Yes, if someone actually believed the first thing, they would probably also believe something like this.

Again, what I said was that the most qualified person should get the job and that sometimes that isn't what happens. That does not imply anything other than the exact words comprising that statement.

Again, I was going to bring this up but it seemed kind of obvious so I cut it out of my original post: in most cases you probably won't know the exact circumstances behind why someone was hired, so I don't think it's really fair to assume things about any given actor. That's part of why I talked about hiring practices rather than individual actors.

Even if you did know every single actor's exact hiring circumstances, it wouldn't help because this is a hiring problem, not an actor problem. The solution has nothing to do with actors and everything to do with convincing employers that this is an unethical practice. Hounding actors over it accomplishes nothing other than fostering divisiveness.

Hiring based on diversity over merit is something that does actually happen and I think when it does happen, it's a bad thing. That's all I said, it's all I meant to say, and I did not intend to say anything with my initial post that wasn't explicitly stated in it.

twocows, I know what you're trying to say, and I understand why you feel that way. But I'm going to gently remind you that a lot of the people who say exactly what you're saying are the same people who believe that a minority won't be in a movie unless the directors/producers were trying to fill a diversity quota. Whether you believe the latter portion isn't the issue, because it's clear you don't, but it would help to be aware of what you may accidentally imply when you say that. It's simply a matter of knowing what one thing you think might say when spoken.

You'd actually be tremendously shocked at how often the "most qualified" person for a role can be a person with little/no acting experience. To say that someone is "most qualified" based on the amount of experience they have is generalizing to the extreme. Any and all factors can lead to someone getting a role, appearance included. Hell, a lot of people with tons of experience don't get hired because they have bad attitudes, and people with no acting experience can beat out people who have acted for decades because they look the part, they have a raw vulnerability, had a better audition, or literally any number of reasons. Someone who's acted for several years can have a bad audition that costs them a role that goes to someone whose audition was good despite their minimal experience. A chance at getting a role isn't quantifiable because endless factors play into casting. Experience is merely one of them.

In terms of diversity quotas... they really don't exist. Now, granted, a director/producer may choose or ask for a POC (for example) for an influential/important role because of an artistic message they're trying to send, or a director/producer might be the type of person to conscious check any bias that would lead them to casting an all-majority cast, but rarely, edging on never, do people have a checklist for which demographics to include in their movie. This is why we have movies that have all-majority casts and also have movies with mixed-demographic casts at the same time. Remember that theatre, cinema, etc. are all highly subjective mediums at the whim of highly subjective people.

For those who may justify all-majority casts by saying, "it's not realistic based on this time period/history bit/etc." please just... try to remember that fiction isn't real and that bending the norms or reality of our world in a fictional story to open up job opportunities for minorities is way less problematic and harmful than keeping them rigidly the same and adding unnecessary obstacles to a group who already suffer from overwhelming obstacles.

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Years

I'm just gonna leave this here from my whale of a comment,
If I'm mistaken somewhere, please show me where you got the impression; if I've resolved it, I'd would like to know that too...just so we're on the same page.

Yeah, I answered to how I perceived the reply was and all, so yeah. I was more or less clarifying my comments there since I wasn't exactly sure if Gimmie's comment was to me or just being general with using mine as a lift off.

So yeah, I can say I probably didn't get what he meant. I just wanted to clarify my position. If me and him are on the same page, cool.

Thanks for perspective and thoughts Trev.

I will say, that whatever an implication is left upon the reader of a comment, at least an inquiry of clarification would be ideal. This probably being a good example of "Hey Vragon you idiot, ask who he's talking to!" and all that stuff.

twocows

Years
twocows, I know what you're trying to say, and I understand why you feel that way. But I'm going to gently remind you that a lot of the people who say exactly what you're saying are the same people who believe that a minority won't be in a movie unless the directors/producers were trying to fill a diversity quota. Whether you believe the latter portion isn't the issue, because it's clear you don't, but it would help to be aware of what you may accidentally imply when you say that. It's simply a matter of knowing what one thing you think might say when spoken.
I won't deny that some people may say one thing and mean another, but I mean exactly what I say. Like I said, language is the standard by which we communicate ideas. If people can't agree on the standard, communication breaks down. I understand that there are certainly cases where people do abuse the language, but I think that we should generally presume good faith until there's a reason not to, and I don't think I've given any reason for people to assume things about my intent that I didn't explicitly state.

You'd actually be tremendously shocked at how often the "most qualified" person for a role can be a person with little/no acting experience. To say that someone is "most qualified" based on the amount of experience they have is generalizing to the extreme. Any and all factors can lead to someone getting a role, appearance included. Hell, a lot of people with tons of experience don't get hired because they have bad attitudes, and people with no acting experience can beat out people who have acted for decades because they look the part, they have a raw vulnerability, had a better audition, or literally any number of reasons. Someone who's acted for several years can have a bad audition that costs them a role that goes to someone whose audition was good despite their minimal experience. A chance at getting a role isn't quantifiable because endless factors play into casting. Experience is merely one of them.
You're 100% right. I mostly kept it to experience for brevity's sake, but I admit there are a lot of those I didn't think of (and some I did). But yeah, I understand it's not always all about experience. I would like to think that we can agree that hiring decisions should at least be made for reasons that actually pertain to the role and the job requirements, though. Unless it's role-relevant, other things just shouldn't matter. I dislike nepotism for the same reason; it's unfair to candidates who may be more qualified.

In terms of diversity quotas... they really don't exist.
I honestly have no idea if they exist in film or not, and if they don't, that's great.

Now, granted, a director/producer may choose or ask for a POC (for example) for an influential/important role because of an artistic message they're trying to send,
I think that's a perfectly valid reason to do so

or a director/producer might be the type of person to conscious check any bias that would lead them to casting an all-majority cast,
I think it's possible to end up in that situation without being biased, but I think trying to avoid bias that might lead to that situation inorganically is a good thing.

but rarely, edging on never, do people have a checklist for which demographics to include in their movie. This is why we have movies that have all-majority casts and also have movies with mixed-demographic casts at the same time. Remember that theatre, cinema, etc. are all highly subjective mediums at the whim of highly subjective people.
I can't speak to whether they do or don't, but at least at times I've suspected some do. What I will say is that in most cases where I've thought this, I've felt it "came from upstairs;" in other words, I suspect corporate leadership is leaning on the team putting the movie together to make sure the cast is "diverse" for one reason or another (I say "diverse" because this measure of diversity ignores many of the other ways people can be diverse in favor of ones that can be easily noticed). You can't really blame the filmmakers for that, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

For those who may justify all-majority casts by saying, "it's not realistic based on this time period/history bit/etc." please just... try to remember that fiction isn't real and that bending the norms or reality of our world in a fictional story to open up job opportunities for minorities is way less problematic and harmful than keeping them rigidly the same and adding unnecessary obstacles to a group who already suffer from overwhelming obstacles.
I think it's fine to do that as long as they're transparent about it. Not everyone is historically aware and misrepresenting history can turn into a problem. If the filmmakers make it clear to the film audience that they're intentionally taking liberties and why, I don't have a problem with that.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I won't deny that some people may say one thing and mean another, but I mean exactly what I say. Like I said, language is the standard by which we communicate ideas. If people can't agree on the standard, communication breaks down. I understand that there are certainly cases where people do abuse the language, but I think that we should generally presume good faith until there's a reason not to, and I don't think I've given any reason for people to assume things about my intent that I didn't explicitly state.

You... have just a teeny bit. Like I said, you cleared it up, obviously. I figured that you didn't mean to say that, just wanted you to know what might come across with the way you said it. Trust me, I've been there. People misinterpret what i say all the time.

You're 100% right. I mostly kept it to experience for brevity's sake, but I admit there are a lot of those I didn't think of (and some I did). But yeah, I understand it's not always all about experience. I would like to think that we can agree that hiring decisions should at least be made for reasons that actually pertain to the role and the job requirements, though. Unless it's role-relevant, other things just shouldn't matter. I dislike nepotism for the same reason; it's unfair to candidates who may be more qualified.

Absolutely agree.

I honestly have no idea if they exist in film or not, and if they don't, that's great.

Yeah. Actor's Equity actually prohibits hiring based solely on race. Hamilton got in trouble because they requested that only POC audition (Hamilton has an all-POC cast because the play subverts historical accuracy to make a statement). They had to let people of all races audition even if they had no intentions of casting anyone other than POC.

I think that's a perfectly valid reason to do so. / I think it's possible to end up in that situation without being biased, but I think trying to avoid bias that might lead to that situation inorganically is a good thing.

Yeah. You can usually tell by the production or film whether the directors and producers were attentative to that. In recent years, I've been hyper-aware of the diversity or lack of in media, and it's informed me about who pays attention to biases and who doesn't.

I can't speak to whether they do or don't, but at least at times I've suspected some do. What I will say is that in most cases where I've thought this, I've felt it "came from upstairs;" in other words, I suspect corporate leadership is leaning on the team putting the movie together to make sure the cast is "diverse" for one reason or another (I say "diverse" because this measure of diversity ignores many of the other ways people can be diverse in favor of ones that can be easily noticed). You can't really blame the filmmakers for that, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

You are correct there. It usually comes in the form of "we should add a black actor so we don't seem racist" (see literally any horror movie). I think a lot people who complain about diverse casts think it's more, "we are WOKE SJWs and we want to eradicate white people to lift up these untalented minorities because DIVERSITY!!!" (which is both a huge dramatization as I find these people's actual complaints ridiculous and uninformed, and also not applicable to you).

I think it's fine to do that as long as they're transparent about it. Not everyone is historically aware and misrepresenting history can turn into a problem. If the filmmakers make it clear to the film audience that they're intentionally taking liberties and why, I don't have a problem with that.

That's actually a really good point. I think disclaimers like that at the beginning of history-altering movies would encourage viewers to do their own research.

Years
(Important to note; this isn't a reply to anybody in particular in this thread; it's just my thoughts on the subject, from a particular angle.)

So, I'm just gonna pop in here and talk about an argument I've seen thrown at characters who are part of marginalized groups:

"It doesn't matter what they are! It's not important to the plot at all!"

Which... yes, generally it isn't.

But that's just as much an argument for making them part of a marginalized group as it is an argument against doing so; I'd say arguably even moreso. If it doesn't matter, that means it doesn't matter either way, not that it does matter if they are part of a marginalized group, but not if they aren't.

What if I make a character who's gay, and trans, and black? It doesn't matter to their story at all, really, aside from, like... Who is and isn't an option to have as their love interest, which itself may not end up being relevant at all. Why would I give them all those traits?

Well, why wouldn't I? They're my character and they'll have whatever traits I damn well want them to have.

More generally, speaking as a writer/creator, I think people vastly overestimate the degree to which it's... really any sort of "deal" to alter characters somewhat to include people from more marginalized groups. Unless your story is specifically about or involving real-life race relations, literally all changing a character's race necessitates altering is their character design and, if relevant, which actor you cast to play them. Every other aspect of them stays exactly the same. Their story is not "ruined" or "tainted"; they just have a somewhat different character design and, depending on their story's format, are played by a different actor than they otherwise might have been. The difference is extremely trivial overall, and, as a writer, it's one I am 110% amenable to making. If it'll make some people happy and allow them to see themselves in more characters in stories they enjoy, I'm all for it, even! It's very low-effort on my part and has a big payoff for a lot of people who could really use it.

Plus, I think diversifying the races of human characters is kinda just an aspect of good character design balancing, since it's a quick and easy set of traits to draw from to give characters one more thing that distinguishes them visually from the rest of their home story's cast.

As for LGBTQIA folks, well, depending on what traits, specifically, you want to include, it can be a little more effort, but still isn't all that hard.

For a character's orientation, think of it essentially as a checklist of which genders they are and aren't attracted to, and just... adhere to that when writing any attraction they may experience or any romance they may have in the story. As long as it's actually clearly shown that they're not straight, bam, there you go, instant non-straight character with minimal changes to anything else. Much like with varying characters' races, this is literally all you have to do unless your story specifically involves or is about the issues non-straight people face in the world.

Writing trans and nonbinary characters is a little tougher, and is something I think has the highest rate of mistakes in people who don't really know what they're doing... Mistakes I admittedly have been guilty of, myself, in the past! I don't think it's all that hard overall, though, although, as with the others, it does get harder if you wanna really delve into the character's relationship with that aspect of themselves. Just approach writing the character as the gender they know themselves to be rather than the one typically associated with their physiology, refer to them with their most up-to-date name and pronouns, don't give them a "comedic" stereotypical design, and don't deadname them or play their transness for a suffering porn- or shock factor-based Unsettling Physiology Reveal and you'll probably be good.

I bring all this up to illustrate how incredibly not hard it is to incorporate representation into stories. People talk about it as though it's some kind of devastating, story-ruining imposition being foisted upon creators, which is hilariously-melodramatic and, moreover, simply incorrect. Including diversity isn't hard at all and is entirely devoid of negative impact so long as you don't screw it up, which is something that's pretty easy to avoid doing if you just keep within your depth and remain open to feedback from members of any marginalized groups you may be representing.

EDIT: Okay so actually I wanna add a little more to this.

The bottom line is that the vast, vast majority of all fictional characters being cisgender, heterosexual, white, (in a more global context, whatever the "majority" race is in the country in which the story is written) and, if sufficiently-important as people, male, is not a neutral, unbiased state of affairs. It's very much preferential treatment given to cisgender, heterosexual white men. Even getting more characters of marginalized groups like we are nowadays, cisgender heterosexual white men are still just getting slightly less preferential treatment, and the ridiculous unbalance that persists from the past still isn't reversed, either.

Cishet white men are not the aggrieved party in this situation. They never have been for at least a few millennia back into the past, and are extremely unlikely to become the aggrieved party in the foreseeable future.

"Can't you relate and get attached to characters who aren't the same race/gender/orientation as you?!"
Yes, absolutely!
Can't you?

Last edited:

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
When a big name franchise announces they're making a movie with an openly LGBTQ lead, replaces an iconic character with a minority, or is changing their franchise to focus heavily on minority groups...

Catering to minorities is important, but don't make the minority factor the main focus of the character! All it does is alienate fans, which is not a good thing.

People alienated by a minority lead or character - regardless of whether they're an original character or an altered version of an established character - don't really matter to me. I have to constantly be alienated by numerous straight characters in nearly all forms of media. They can either suck it up or not watch the movie, same way I do.

Spoiler: Also, relevant
oaBm93bA_o.png

EDIT: Also this is something I've already said in the other topic about minorities in media, but it seriously does not matter if characters get remade as a different demographic because 99% of entertainment is fictional. If anyone is so pressed about a different actor playing a person that doesn't exist in a movie they don't have to watch, they're beyond help.

Last edited:
Years
People alienated by a minority lead or character - regardless of whether they're an original character or an altered version of an established character - don't really matter to me. I have to constantly be alienated by numerous straight characters in nearly all forms of media. They can either suck it up or not watch the movie, same way I do.

oaBm93bA_o.png

EDIT: Also this is something I've already said in the other topic about minorities in media, but it seriously does not matter if characters get remade as a different demographic because 99% of entertainment is fictional. If anyone is so pressed about a different actor playing a person that doesn't exist in a movie they don't have to watch, they're beyond help.

And of course an LGBT user has to go all SJW on me... I'm not openly against LGBT main protagonists. It's the way they're trying to force them in everyone's face that makes me want to hate them.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

oaBm93bA_o.png

What I said in my last post regarding Trump is relevant here. The moment you post Gifs or statements that label a person as "X"(Racist in the above case), it ceases to be a Debate. Furthermore, once you resort to labeling other people as Racist, Xenophobic or w/e adjective SJW people love to use, you automatically lose the debate as I see it.

Back