• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] How can I edit the cry of one of the ????????? Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
I am adding a few Pokemon in using the empty slots between Celebi and Treecko but I've noticed any Pokemon in these slots use an Unown cry. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to change this cry seeing as any tools I've tried using have empty data for the cry and pokedex. Is there any way I can repoint the cry to something else? Also is it fully safe to change these empty slots or am I messing with Unowns by doing so

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Originally, those slots were going to be for the Unown forms, yes, but the way Unown's forms are handled is completely different and they're unaffected by those slots. They are 100% safe to use however some programs like PGE don't like those slots. You'll probbly need to do some ASM to modify their cries.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
Originally, those slots were going to be for the Unown forms, yes, but the way Unown's forms are handled is completely different and they're unaffected by those slots. They are 100% safe to use however some programs like PGE don't like those slots. You'll probbly need to do some ASM to modify their cries.

It's good to know they are safe to edit but I don't really understand how I'd use ASM to handle this. I know ASM is like the go to for pretty much everything nowadays but I'm sure there's got to be a simpler method for repointing those cries.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
It's good to know they are safe to edit but I don't really understand how I'd use ASM to handle this. I know ASM is like the go to for pretty much everything nowadays but I'm sure there's got to be a simpler method for repointing those cries.

I remember reading somewhere from a reliable expert like diego or FBI saying that even they couldn't figure it out, and it's locked on bulbasaur. Pretty sure they weren't supposed to be used in the first place.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
I remember reading somewhere from a reliable expert like diego or FBI saying that even they couldn't figure it out, and it's locked on bulbasaur. Pretty sure they weren't supposed to be used in the first place.

Since they were beta Unowns it's locked on Unown actually which isn't so bad since Unown have a much more unique cry that Bulbasaur. From what I've seen, it seems totally find to use those slots as long as the pokemon isn't made wild (it has no dex data) and is assigned to an evolution or gift pokemon event. It's a real shame the cry can't be repointed as that means I will probably only end up using it for like one pokemon though

Last edited:

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
couldnt you find free space and repoint the cry table for these blank pokemon? im sure some tools would allow the importing of cries if there was a new offset but to so you would have to figure out how many bytes and etc are required, i want to do this with my romhack too. also also why cant they be wild?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
couldnt you find free space and repoint the cry table for these blank pokemon? im sure some tools would allow the importing of cries if there was a new offset but to so you would have to figure out how many bytes and etc are required, i want to do this with my romhack too. also also why cant they be wild?

It's not that simple sadly. Trying to repoint their cries always seems to result in an error

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
It's not that simple sadly. Trying to repoint their cries always seems to result in an error

Quite frankly if MrDollStreak and FBI and the rest of the bunch couldn't figure it out it's pretty safe to say those slots' cries are hardcoded. Sorry! :(

Try expanding your pokemon instead if you need more slots.

Years
I just did a little test myself, and it would seem that these Pok?mon aren't hardcoded to play Unown's cry's specifically; they play whatever cry is assigned to Pok?mon 0x0C9 (decimal 201), which by default is Unown.

If anyone wants to recreate my test, I just modified Emerald version in PGE to set Pok?mon 0x0FC (decimal 252) to be fought instead of Zigzagoon when choosing one's starter, and then went in and pasted Wobbufett's cry pointer over Unown's, and the wild ? used Wobbufett's cry instead.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
I just did a little test myself, and it would seem that these Pok?mon aren't hardcoded to play Unown's cry's specifically; they play whatever cry is assigned to Pok?mon 0x0C9 (decimal 201), which by default is Unown.

If anyone wants to recreate my test, I just modified Emerald version in PGE to set Pok?mon 0x0FC (decimal 252) to be fought instead of Zigzagoon when choosing one's starter, and then went in and pasted Wobbufett's cry pointer over Unown's, and the wild ? used Wobbufett's cry instead.

This is good to know though I'm honestly not sure how Unown work in these games. Is there any way to change the cry of a ??????? pokemon without changing the unown cry?

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
these empty slots are gen 2's way of handling multiple unown sprites correct? it makes sense that they would have unown's cry but seeing as how gen 3 doesnt use them to generate sprites for unown(i think) it is safe to assume that you could possibly alter these empty pokemon and have the unown function just fine although you would have to test this

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I just did a little test myself, and it would seem that these Pokémon aren't hardcoded to play Unown's cry's specifically; they play whatever cry is assigned to Pokémon 0x0C9 (decimal 201), which by default is Unown.

If anyone wants to recreate my test, I just modified Emerald version in PGE to set Pokémon 0x0FC (decimal 252) to be fought instead of Zigzagoon when choosing one's starter, and then went in and pasted Wobbufett's cry pointer over Unown's, and the wild ? used Wobbufett's cry instead.

That's a really nice bit of information to know! I'm not sure if it's a new discovery, but if it is, then you're a genius! :D <3

Years
Gosh, well, I'm certainly not all that! I just thought, "If I were programming in a bunch of Pokémon who all used the same cry, how would I set that up?" and just making the one cry ID in the pointer table point to all of them seemed like a sensible way to do it. In a similar vein, I suspect that the reason trying to assign a different cry to one of the 25 ?s messes things up is because one Pokémon is being assigned two cries, and the game can't handle that.

At some point, I want to check out the block where all the cry assignments are stored in a hex editor to see if it is somehow pointing the same cry to 26 different Pokémon IDs through that, or if there's something else going on that's what's making things work that way.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I am adding a few Pokemon in using the empty slots between Celebi and Treecko but I've noticed any Pokemon in these slots use an Unown cry. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to change this cry seeing as any tools I've tried using have empty data for the cry and pokedex. Is there any way I can repoint the cry to something else? Also is it fully safe to change these empty slots or am I messing with Unowns by doing so

Finally found some research on this.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9598162&postcount=943

Back