• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate My Deck!: Bug Catcher (Standard)

Liamwasd

Hi! I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear.
Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2018
Hello! I'm recently getting back into Pokemon, and I've decided to try making a deck. I haven't bought the cards yet so it's not too late to change any of it. Keep in mind this is my first time making a deck.

Pokemon:
x2 Weedle Crimson Invasion
x2 Kakuna Crimson Invasion
x2 Beedrill Crimson Invasion
x3 Heracross Burning Shadows
x2 Oddish Burning Shadows
x2 Gloom Burning Shadows
x2 Vileplume Burning Shadows
x2 Wimpod Burning Shadows
x2 Golisopod GX Burning Shadows
Energy:
18 grass 2 double colorless

Trainer: x2 Hau base set
x2 Big malasada Base Set
x4 Potion Base Set
x4 switch Base Set
x2 Aether Paradise Conservation Area Guardians
x2 Mallow Guardians Rising
x3 Great Ball Base Set
x2 Professor Kukui Base Set

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years

Hi there! welcome!

So, there's a ton of issues here, which mostly are "what does your deck ACTUALLY DO?" Right now, I just see a Grass deck with no focus. And awful (and not enough) trainers.

20/20/20 P/T/E is an okay split for, like, a theme deck, but not a deck you plan on spending money on. 15-20/25-35/7-12 is usually what I look for to start with.

There are some quite good decks with Golisopod if you are set on using it. The best and most well known is Golisopod/Zoroark-GX. And... Actually all the others are just offshoots which may or may not contain Zoroark. An ideal Pokemon list looks probably something like...

4-4 Golisopod GX
2-2 Zoroark GX
1-1 Lurantis (Promo)
2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX
2 Tapu Lele-GX
(18)

That said, that mess is EXPENSIVE. So, we really need to know what your plan is and what your budget is.

Liamwasd

Hi! I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear.
Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2018
So what I was trying to do was use a basic Pokemon (Pinsir or Heracross) as my active Pokemon. Then I would switch it out for Beedrill, use sudden sting, and finish them off. my budget is around $25? I don't want to spend too much on a standard deck.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Ah, so... your budget is 2 theme decks. Excellent.

as far as your deck is concerned, you have a concerning number of 2-2-2 lines which just don't work. 90% of the time the reaction should be to dump one of the two you have and stack all those cards into a 4-4-4 of the other. That saaaaid, Beedrill is ineffective, Pinsir is gimmicky, and Heracross is bad. Vileplume has no place there. Golisopod is actually helpful, but with shipping costs probably averages $4-5 a card, and you need FOUR. Not two. No more pesky 2-2 lines of your best card. Four. But hey, I can work with that if that route is what you want to go. Just no Zoroarks.

I've said this before: if you want a starting deck for $25, buy two of the Mach Strike theme deck and combine them. 4-4-4 Chomp, 2-2 Lucario, 2-2 Gumshoos. 4 Cynthia. Trainers and Energy to suit. Voila! Deck!

Anyw, just tell me what you want to do. I'll work around it.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Ah, so... your budget is 2 theme decks. Excellent.

as far as your deck is concerned, you have a concerning number of 2-2-2 lines which just don't work. 90% of the time the reaction should be to dump one of the two you have and stack all those cards into a 4-4-4 of the other. That saaaaid, Beedrill is ineffective, Pinsir is gimmicky, and Heracross is bad. Vileplume has no place there. Golisopod is actually helpful, but with shipping costs probably averages $4-5 a card, and you need FOUR. Not two. No more pesky 2-2 lines of your best card. Four. But hey, I can work with that if that route is what you want to go. Just no Zoroarks.

I've said this before: if you want a starting deck for $25, buy two of the Mach Strike theme deck and combine them. 4-4-4 Chomp, 2-2 Lucario, 2-2 Gumshoos. 4 Cynthia. Trainers and Energy to suit. Voila! Deck!

Anyw, just tell me what you want to do. I'll work around it.

He's better off buying all the cards separate. Saves him a fair amount of money as you're going to replace 80% of the deck anyway.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
The big problem here is consistency. I know your budget is $25 which isn't much to work with but I can probably figure something out with this for you.

4x Wimpod (BS)
3x Golispod GX (BS or promo)
1x Golispod (GR)
2x Morelull (SM)
2x Shiinotic (SM)
1x Alolan Vulpix (SM)
1x Oranguru (SM)

4x Ultra Ball (SM)
4x Nest Ball (SM)
4x Switch (Any set)
4x Acro Bike
2x Pal pad (UP)
2x Rescue Stretcher (GR)
1x Field Blower (GR)
1x Counter Catcher (CI)
1x Timer Ball

4x Cynthia (UP)
4x Guzma (BS)
2x Hala (GR)
2x Acerola (BS)
1x Lillie (SL, SM)

6x Grass
4x DCE

Shiinotic lets you grab grass pokemon from your deck each turn (it was an early partner to some earlier Decidueye GX dekcs) for free, meaning you can easily get Golispods out and ready.

I've made sure you have a total of 11 possible switch (for either your side of the field or your opponents) cards. 4 Guzma, 4 switch, 2 Acerola and a counter catcher. With pal Pad you can get back Guzmas and Acerolas.

Acrobike gives you some much needed draw support, as does Oranguru, as you're not using Tapu-Lele GX.

You don't need much grass energy with Golispod GX as it only needs one to do its better attack. There are four DCE to ensure you can do the bigger attack/GX attack if you wish, which also makes Hala an invaluable resource. Lillie can be helpful if you have nothing else.

Timer Ball is just another chance to speed the evos you need along. Baby Golispod gives you an out to Hoopa if you ever come across it.

Back