• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Subway

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Hello. I'm a fairly new BW player, just started playing it a few weeks ago, and I want to try out these generation's competitive battling area first at the Battle Subway. So, I decided to make up a team. Here it is.

248.gif

Tyranitar@ Leftovers: Sassy
252 HP/ 64 SpA/ 192 SpDef
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

My lead. Yeah, I know lead are fairly UU in the subway, but I need some extra damage per Pokemon, explaining Stealth Rock. And I made Ttar a specially inclined one (except for Crunch because that is for STAB) because my other two Pokemon are physically inclined ones. And I want some type coverage.

I added the EV to SpDef because I want this Ttar to be a bulky one also. Water types dominate the Subways.

130.gif

Gyarados@ Leftovers: Adamant
96 Def/ 71 Atk/ 156 HP/ 184 Spe
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Simply put, Gyarados will be my Physical Tank. Dragon Dance twice, then wreak havoc. Enough said. Moving on.

612.gif

Haxorus@ Life Orb: Adamant: Mold Breaker
36 HP/ 252 Atk/ 220 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage (still considering Dragon Claw)
- Brick Break

Same as Gyarados above, except I added an additional 9 HP so that I could last longer. :)

Thanks!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It's great to see more people getting into battling! :) While your movesets are the correct ones for the sets you're basing your Pokemon on, you still have a weakness to water types in general. For example, Politoed in the subway carries both Hydro Pump and Blizzard, and so does Milotic (as do most water types in general, in terms of carrying ice attacks). And that'll immediately kill off two of your Pokemon. Then you've also got boltbeam from Starmie. (I also assume it's a Sand Stream Tyranitar, which will hurt your other two Pokemon - especially since Haxorus has a Life Orb). Also take into account the possible confusion that could occur from Haxorus' Outrage, too, which hurts even more and shortens the sweep.

tbh, you could try Ferrothorn instead of Haxorus - it can set up your hazards, can overcome water and ice types and is generally annoying to deal with. While it's physical, it can generally help you out and effectively make a better impact at the start with leech seed, SR, gyro ball / t-wave or power whip. But yeah imo Tyranitar won't really help out your team much compared to others that can set up hazards. :(

Good luck either way!

Last edited by a moderator:

miltankRancher

Years
It's great to see more people getting into battling! :) While your movesets are the correct ones for the sets you're basing your Pokemon on, you still have a weakness to water types in general. For example, Politoed in the subway carries both Hydro Pump and Blizzard, and so does Milotic (as do most water types in general, in terms of carrying ice attacks). And that'll immediately kill off two of your Pokemon. Then you've also got boltbeam from Starmie. (I also assume it's a Sand Stream Tyranitar, which will hurt your other two Pokemon - especially since Haxorus has a Life Orb). Also take into account the possible confusion that could occur from Haxorus' Outrage, too, which hurts even more and shortens the sweep.

tbh, you could try Ferrothorn instead of Haxorus - it can set up your hazards, can overcome water and ice types and is generally annoying to deal with. While it's physical, it can generally help you out and effectively make a better impact at the start with leech seed, SR, gyro ball / t-wave or power whip. But yeah imo Tyranitar won't really help out your team much compared to others that can set up hazards. :(

Good luck either way!

I decided to ditch Tyranitar and Haxorus for:

598.gif

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers: Relaxed
252 HP/ 52 Def/ 204 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

This will be my lead, set-up SR and Leech Seed. Gyro Ball is his main attack, making use of his very low Speed. This can also counter speedy Water-types like Boltbeam Starmie and Swamperts.

561.gif

Sigilyph@ Toxic Orb: Bold: Magic Guard
252 HP/ 200 Def/ 56 Spe
- Cosmic power
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Psycho Shift

This will be my status spreader AKA virus. Magic Guard + Toxic Orb would do nothing to my Sigilyph but with Psycho Shift, it could do more damage than expected to the other team. This counters Fire-types that Ferrothorn cannot take.

Is this team okay already? I have EV trained the Gyarados already. :)

Last edited:

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
I like your sigilyph alot would you mind if i used it since i saw the set here i might as well ask and plus your ferrothorn with speed evs or spedef evs i couldnt tell but you could benefit better from a brave nature with the lack of speed thus making your gyro ball much better and dont mind a thunderwave embrace it it makes you slower which means added power for gyro ball other than the obvious to me the evs in spd should be put towards spedef and a smidgen to atk for a better wall and seeder for your sigilyph.

Edit: With the sigilyph poisoning everything maybe a powerful venoshocker would fit in considering everything can be poisoned thanks to psych shift.

miltankRancher

Years
That was just a typo error, the Speed/ Special def thing. Sorry about that. I prefer the plus points in SpD, since Ferrothorn is pretty slow already.

oh yeah. you can use it, btw. my white crashed. I need to restart over. :(

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
If you want to stall your way through the Subway, particularly with Ferrothorn, might I suggest opening with a Rain Dancer/Politoed? My Ferrothorn has been OHKO'd by an Infernapes Flare Blitz even in rain, so even then it's still risky. If you open with Ferrothorn against a strong and fast Fire type like that you'll be forced to swap to Gyarados, whom doesn't have a recovery or protective move so it'll just get fainted the next turn anyway- and then you're left with a vulnerable Ferrothorn and a Sigilyph who probably can't solo a team with all it's weaknesses.

I just finished beating the super trains, and I must say Jellicent was MVP. It's able to bring walls down with Toxic, and hinder physical sweepers with the burn from Scald and it's Cursed Body ability. Meanwhile it can last nearly forever with Protect/Recover/Leftovers.

I think you'll be pretty disappointed with Sigilyph. Psychic isn't the best STAB, and it will take you a long time to rack up Stored Powers strength especially if you are spending turns spreading poison.

EDIT: But if you're set on using Sigilyph I reccomended going with Thunder Wave and then Whirlwind to rotate enemies through Stealth Rock and to spread Paralysis. Then you have two slots for filler attacks to cover any weakness you may be missing. I'd recommend Ice Beam to help bring down Flying types that resist Ferrothorns Power Whip and any Dragon types that might be walling your defensive Gyarados depending on what moves you're able to give it from 4th gen (Notably Outrage, since it's the only physical Dragon move it gets other than Dragon Tail, and Ice Fangs power is a bit low). And then for the last slot I'd go with Air Slash, a nice Flying STAB with a 30% chance to flinch on top of the enemies Paralysis.

Last edited:
Back