• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon FireRed: Total Recall - Update #2 [Pokedex Updated and Typings Revealed!]

What typing should the "???" undecided Evolution line be?

• pure Dark

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Water / Dark

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Water / Ground

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Electric / Dark

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Electric / Ghost

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Please read all of the information before passing judgement!

Hey guys, I am creating my very first hack (in collaboration with BlackSoul95)... specifically a Fakemon hack. Now, I know that Fakemon have kind of been a taboo in pokemon hacks, mainly since the majority of them - especially in infamous hacks I will not name here - are done poorly. My aim is to change that, by recreating FireRed with 150 brand new, high-quality Fakemon! Thus, while the game itself will be basically the same, it will have a completely new Pokedex to create a brand new experience!

This actually started as a kind of brainstorming thread on another message board, but since this is the internet central of ROM Hacks, this seemed like the best place to post a real thread about my hack once I was ready to post it.

Features:
- 150 brand new Pokemon! (Maybe 151 if I can figure out how to add new events in...)
- Easter Egg Pokemon! (Not shown in above Pokedex).
- New overworlds for all event Pokemon.
- Replacement for Eevee with same evolution mechanics (and FIVE stone-based evolutions!)
- Several unique typings - including Bug / Ice, Grass / Ghost and Rock / Dragon.
- Useless TMs edited to be more useful! The list of changed TMs is here:
Spoiler:

- Additional moves from later generations, such as Brave Bird, Dark Pulse and Hurricane have also been added. Moves such as Tackle, Giga Drain and Outrage have been updated to reflect their Gen V stats.
- NEW FEATURE: Brand new moves have been added! Have fun with moves like Demolition, Bug Shard and Toxic Crush!* You can drop a comment suggesting a new move and if I can implement it, I might just do that! ;)
- Every trainer, gym leader, elite four and champion edited.
- More to come!

*Below is a spoiler of the new moves and what they do. This spoiler will be removed if I find out how to change the move descriptions of the moves I have replaced.
Spoiler:

POKEDEX REMOVED FOR MAJOR EDITING!

HALL OF FAMERS
Once this hack is released, I'll be putting up people's Hall of Fame screenshots (if you send them to me, of course). For now, here's mine from my recent playtesting:
Spoiler:

----------

Before I post screenshots, I thought I should post some photos from YAPE to show how thoroughly I am editing the Pokemon for this hack. Click the spoiler to see the shots! (These shots are out-of-date; this pokemon has different stats and moveset to what is shown here.)
Spoiler:

And now the screenshots you want! (They are all kind of bigger than intended...) - <-- Many of these are fairly outdated, due to changes / cleaning up of sprites, editiong in moveste / stats / abilities, etc. But you get the gist of the hack.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Progress:
Pokemon edited / entered into game: 150 / 150
Pokemon with completed sprites: 105 / 150 approximately (Though only about 20 so far actually have back sprites.)
Normal Trainers edited: Complete
Gym Leaders / Elite 4 / Champion edited: Complete

Progress will move slowly, as I am completing my Medical Science college course and (eurgh...) job-hunting, so time is kind of short. Spriting is also a very tough and long-winded process, often taking over an hour for a single Pokemon's front and back sprites, so this will not be released any time soon. Please be patient. Any help I can receive with regards to spriting (though BlackSoul95 and I will do the majority of this) and hex editing (to change edited move descriptions and animations, Game Corner prize pokemon names, etc.) would be fantastic!

CREDITS:
BlackSoul95 - Lead spriter.

SPECIAL THANKS:
Silver314 - creator of YAPE.

Last edited:
Years
I suggest hiring a spriter, I dont think these sprites are as high quality as you're aiming for; the outlines vary in colour, the anatomy is stiff and faces the screen, the ideas arent very clear, and the lineart is jagged. Go on over to Pixel Art and try and get some more indepth constructive critisism. Good luck with your hack!

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
I suggest hiring a spriter, I dont think these sprites are as high quality as you're aiming for; the outlines vary in colour, the anatomy is stiff and faces the screen, the ideas arent very clear, and the lineart is jagged. Go on over to Pixel Art and try and get some more indepth constructive critisism. Good luck with your hack!

The sprites aren;t quite GameFreak quality no, but i'm not Gamefreak. There are some improvements I can make, and I will when I am less busy, but I have a lot to do and only myself to do it, so it's not a high priority at this point.

As for Outlines, if you look on most Pokemon there are varying outline colours. I do use black / dark grey for most outlines though. The jaggedness is just an unfortunate penalty of me using Paint, and how far zoomed in the above screenshots are - if you zoom out far enough to see the sprites at normal size, they don't look as jagged as they do above.

If you are looking at that Roclops sprite, please remember that is just a placeholder.

Finally, I am colourblind (not fully, but still annoying) so the colours will not always be done as well as they could be. I do the best with what I have. However, getting help from a more experienced spriter would definitely be amazing, and would get this going a lot faster.

Wilso said:
love hacks with fakemon keep it up btw will u be changing the maps around a bit?

Not at the moment, this is just an edit of FireRed's Pokemon at the moment. however, my friend is busy making a new map for me to use my Fakemon on, so if he finishes it (it would be mid-2013 probably), then we could use his map and my fakemon for a much larger, full game hack. ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
My friend is helping me with sprites at the moment, so I should get some additional sprites onto the Pokédex soon. If you have any questions, constructive criticism, or can offer any assistance, please comment!

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
It's been a long time since people make hacks using Fakemon. I hope this would be completed soon.

I think Sienna and Quartz are the only (famous) ones so far. It won't be "completed" any time soon I'm afraid, although I am hoping to release a Beta around Christmas; I feel that the Beta will probably go up to Lavender Town, based on my current progress for inserting sprites, editing wild Pokemon and Trainers.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
I would recommend switching to GraphicsGale if you're using Paint for pixel art. The added precision really helps, and would probably fix that jagginess problems you're having. It's free too, so that's a plus.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
I've updated the Pokedex on the OP with a couple of new sprites. Having a friend to help with sprites is a lifesaver! XD

Remember that making this hack will be a long process, since me and my friend still have hundreds of front and back sprites and the prospect of editing all of the wild pokemon and trainer battles in the game. If I can get a beta out before January that will be fantastic, but please don't expect any highly-polished, finished version in the short run.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Originally Posted by HeroesAndCons
As a side-note, any help I can get with regards to normal trainer editing, Spriting (though I will do the majority of this)
HeroesAndCons your taking a bit to much credit there don't you think? Get back to me about the Duragon Sprite?

Also If anyone fancies Designing Cities on AdvanceMap i will be happy to Put them in.

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2012
Just a quick tip:

Whenever you make any pokemon, it should automatically make a shiny version, using a separate (already made) pallete. This can be a blessing (because you dont have to make two copies) but if the pallete is completely different, you can run into graphic problems. Of course, actually finding a shiny pokemon is so rare, that it wont really affect you.

Other than that, good job (y)

EDIT: Also dont forget to edit the mini-sprites that are found when shifting pokemon, or else theyll be the originals and mismatched. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
These fakemon's quality are not really perfect, but they're good nevertheless.
To tell the truth, just by going on a project like this you're stretching bounds.
I mean, it has been eons since someone last tried to make a fakemon-only hack.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Sorry for not updating recently... but yes, the hack in underway, BlackSoul95 is the lead spriter now so he is getting through the front sprites. When I have the time (collega and all that) I will be editing all of the trainers in the game and implementing BlackSoul95's sprites too. It'll be a while, but it is still going on. ;)

lizzzz

I want to be the very best!
Years
Sounds very ambitious! Good luck! I love a good fakemon hack, so I'm looking forward to the progress. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2016
Please don't be a narcissist. The fakemons are hardly of good quality.

I admit, I can't sprite for ****. But please, if you're going to make a hack and you know that fakemon are taboo, please don't call it 'high quality'.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
EDIT: Also dont forget to edit the mini-sprites that are found when shifting pokemon, or else theyll be the originals and mismatched. :)

Thanks for the reminder Hadnt thought of that

Please don't be a narcissist. The fakemons are hardly of good quality.

I admit, I can't sprite for ****. But please, if you're going to make a hack and you know that fakemon are taboo, please don't call it 'high quality'.

First of all, its 64x64 generation we are editing so the quality cant be black&white standard. The roclops line is just a concept for us to use and we haven't done the proper sprites yet for them. Also if heroes updates the pokedex section you will notice improvements as our experience increases. As you said you "can't sprite for ****" so unless you want to do some your self if you don't have something supportive to say don't say it. We wouldn't mind some constructive criticism from people as we progress

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Okay guys, quick update! I'm showing you guys some of the newer and best quality sprites made by BlackSoul95 (who is now primary spriter, since he's better at it and I have hundreds of trainers to edit...).

2cfqgy9.jpg
- Surfree
2n0la12.jpg
- Tidalis
k44t1.jpg
- Duragon

We've both done more, especially BlackSoul, but I thought a nice show of the quality of the newer sprites would be a good thing to do.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
Okay guys, quick update! I'm showing you guys some of the newer and best quality sprites made by BlackSoul95 (who is now primary spriter, since he's better at it and I have hundreds of trainers to edit...).

2cfqgy9.jpg
- Surfree
2n0la12.jpg
- Tidalis
k44t1.jpg
- Duragon

We've both done more, especially BlackSoul, but I thought a nice show of the quality of the newer sprites would be a good thing to do.

These sprites are pretty high quality. They have a more Pokemon-ish feel than the old placeholder creations.

Back