• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] Current State of the Pokémon Anime.

stevenshaw

Banned
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 25, 2019
This is all purely my opinion, so you may disagree with me. Also this may be in the wrong subreddit but I also wouldn't want to post this where everyone would just agree with me.

So, as a longtime fan of the Pokémon anime and games, Sun and Moon was kind of a disappointment, as I have been seeing Ash maturing over time with new animation style. I personally think that Ash's storyline should be wrapped up, and a new series started where Ash is an adult, married (to Serena ofc), and with kids, the new protagonist be Ash's child, and the first episode or so of the series introducing Ash and his family, with his child setting off on their own journey, which is where I think that the new animation style would be more appropriate (and I feel like if this happened more people would be on board with theme song changes, considering the new protagonist). And with this, I feel as if a Pokémon movie would be appropriate to ease into the series reboot, where Ash's child sets off on their adventure for the first time.

Again, this is purely my opinion, so don't bash me in the comments, but I would like to see if you agree or disagree.

SkyEmpress

Emperor of Destruction Guzma
Years
I would like to see more of the game characters, so in a way I do agree with ya. Also I am more to say that a w hole new person takes the spotlight and maybe some old characters make a return. Satoshi is finally done journeying and helps his mom out with house work and becomes some kind of pokemon prof or something.

Years
I think Ash is still trying to do his best at achieving his goal at becoming Pokemon Master, i don't know what kind of Pokemon Master is, but it would be great if Pokemon Company reveal more details about Pokemon Master so that Ash can finally achieve his goals for sure.

I know anime is still runnning ever since it started around 1997 and is among one of the still running anime of 1990s to do this today, along with other 1990s long running anime like Crayon Shin-chan (which began in 1992), Nintama Rantarō (which began in 1993), Chibi Maruko-chan (which began in 1995), Detective Conan/Case Closed (which began in 1996), Ojarumaru (which began in 1998) and One Piece (which began in 1999). But i am still thinking about Pokemon still running because Ash wanted to be an Pokemon Master and the anime will run no matter what it costs, espacially what to do with the next new anime saga to come with demographic isuses.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2022
They've tried to put their feet in water of having a new protag several times...but you know what happened?

No one supported it...I believe they tried to test the waters with pokemon chronicles back in the day..shows where Ash wasnt the focus, but what happened? The ratings were poor and everyone was like "where's Ash? He should be here too."

They tried again with Origins and the Mega Evolution special, yes it was to promote X and Y, but I also believe they trying once more to see if another protag could carry a show...and very few bought or supported it. It doesn't matter how many views clips get online,until they're convinced another character can carry the show over Ash, we will be stuck with him. That and the fact pikachu is the mascot, they won't risk a main character without a pikachu

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I think a lot of the issues I personally have with how the pokemon anime has progressed has been with Ash never getting any smarter, he travels to multiple different regions and meets all kinds of trainers yet he always finds himself beat by the stupidest things. I understand that they have to do this in order to stop the show becoming Ash overpowering everyone. But for goodness sake it's far easier to have him seemingly get smarter than to constantly be a fool.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
I think a lot of the issues I personally have with how the pokemon anime has progressed has been with Ash never getting any smarter, he travels to multiple different regions and meets all kinds of trainers yet he always finds himself beat by the stupidest things. I understand that they have to do this in order to stop the show becoming Ash overpowering everyone. But for goodness sake it's far easier to have him seemingly get smarter than to constantly be a fool.

What stupidest things are you referring to? All of his major losses have been justified as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
What stupidest things are you referring to? All of his major losses have been justified as far as I can tell.

There was a video released a year ago by Nerdist, give it a watch. It outlines a lot of the stupid things Ash has done and also gives reasoning as to why he's made stupid decisions with some valid reasoning but to me a progressive trainer shouldn't be as poor as he is sometimes. This also doesn't include the times he's outright ignored pokemon he's seen before or double dexed ones.

Last edited:
Years
well. the protagonist of pokemon chronicles wasn't that impressionable. just like ash. that's why I hated it, at least. he reminded me of a better-by-an-inch ash ketchum. it's no difference... in my opinion that is.

origin was actually good. one of those series that I love rewatching every now and then. but then again, red was one those protagonists that fit a mini-series, not a whole one.
a new protag would be so welcome if they do it correctly. if they do the new character and its so alike with ash then just forget it haha

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
There was a video released a year ago by Nerdist, give it a watch. It outlines a lot of the stupid things Ash has done and also gives reasoning as to why he's made stupid decisions with some valid reasoning but to me a progressive trainer shouldn't be as poor as he is sometimes. This also doesn't include the times he's outright ignored pokemon he's seen before or double dexed ones.

I might watch it when I have some free time, but I've never understood why so many folks got bothered about the double Dex thing. Ash uses the Dex on the same Pokemon that he's met before sometimes mostly for the benefit of the audience since not all kids are familiar with every single Pokemon and many of them probably haven't seen Ash meet some of the older Pokemon from the earlier sagas in general. The Dex is also continually updated from saga to saga, so Ash Dexing old Pokemon still provides him with new information that he might not have known before.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
The Undisputed Era I watched the video, guy literally says Ash is a great trainer in conclusion. I don't know what series you've been watching but there's plenty of progression in Sinnoh and Kalos. I assume you are pointing at Unova, which I would agree but you can recognize it as being a reboot to catch the attention of younger fans, not to ruin the story line.

Years
Until the Gen 10 comes out and Ash finally becoming the champion there, it would be the last one.

I know OLM continues to run anime until they die from ages.

Back