• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Mudkip in Ruby and Emerald and Charmander in FireRed. My Ruby Mudkip has followed me in every game until HGSS. I'm sad about transferring to BW because he will lose the Shell Bell we made together.

Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
FR: Charmander because it evolves to Charizard which is a dragon!
EM: Treecko I don't know why but he seems cooler than the other grass types except for Snivy.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2012
Water types are the best ,im always with them but alot of times i leave them and trying to find a squad without a starter pokemon

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2012
I chose Chikorita this time around, love the little guy. I usually choose cyndaquil or Totodile though!

Flute

Full-time loser
Years
I always choose Torchic, 2nd choice would be Treecko. Mudkip kinda.. you know.. sucks.

It's EV's aren't bad, but water types are plain useless. I guess grass types are too, but they're pretty fun. In FRLG I always got Charmander, even though I preferred Blastoise. Fire types are the most useful throughout the game, though I always tend to drop my starter sometime after the 3rd gym.

MrFantasy

Mysterious Trainer
Years
Well when I first played through Pokemon Ruby I chose Torchic and Leaf Green I went with Bulbasaur (My most favorite pokemon ever:D) I miss my noob days sometimes though. When I was little playing Ruby I didn't go far enough left to realize there was a road to petalburg so by the time I did I had a lvl 40 Blaziken xD Yep I'm that boss xP

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
Years
First time playing R/S/E, I chose Torchic! :D
Though in my most recent restart I chose Treeko!

And in FR I chose Charmander (I love fire!) and in LF Bulbasaur, 'cause, y'know, it is LEAF GREEN after all. XD

Poor water types barely never get chosen with me, although I do make sure to go through the games with them atleast once. :D Just to be nice.

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
Years
First time in Emerald: Swampert!
Recent Starter in restart of Emerald: Blaziken! (Currently Combusken)

Leaf Green Starter (1st Go): Venusaur!
Recent Reboot Starter: Charizard! (Currently Charmander)

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I don't favor any specific Pokemon cuz I used all starters and found out that Chikorita is very underrated, Charmander is overrated and Treeko is underrated.

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
First time I played Ruby I started with Treeko. I was thinking back to when I first got Blue version, and I started with Bulbasaur so my 13 year old self thought it would be cool to start with the grass starter again.

Theta Rex

Euclid
Years
First run I did of RSE, I picked Treecko simply because it looked the coolest to me. After that though, I almost always picked either Mudkip or Torchic over Treecko because I had a tricky time getting through the game with the grass type.

FR/LG, it was usually Charmander, as I used to do in RBG. Sometimes Bulbasaur, and only once or twice with Squirtle.

Years
In Kanto i always picked Bulbasaur because it was a great asset for the first few gyms and by the time i got to the others I wold always have a full team

In Hoen i was always was split between mudkip and torchic because both have great moves once fully evolved I loved Swampert's Muddy Water and Earthquake and Blazakin's Blaze Kick

In Johto I picked Cyndaquil for no specific reason other than looks

In Sinnoh i picked Turtwig usually because it helped with alot of gyms aand i liked its final form

As for whatever black and white's region is the answer is I never played it because I really disliked the new pokemon looks

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Though I have some vague memory of owning a Combusken early in the game, before I really understood what to do.. I think I restarted o.o, so, officially, I chose Treeko first (I still have him on Sapphire C:) and Charmander. I've never really used anything other than a Charmander in the FRLG games.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 4, 2020
The first time I played Sapphire, I chose Mudkip, I'm not exactly sure why, but I did. Ever since then I've always chosen the water starter for every game. (Except SoulSilver, I chose Cyndaquil)

Back